Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Official 6/16 Phoenix Meetup/Review Thread

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one. I think I'll stick with what the folks here at the Army have to say.
    Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Em' Up! View Post
    EWS and SGMAD
    Looks like the crowd was on fire last night. Dave was tearing up the intro of EWS. Great stuff!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I read the article and again, another writer who doesn't fully understand the act he is going to see. Sure you like the music pal. I get that. And you would be devoid of taste if you didn't but did you happen to cross any live footage from the early days before putting your opinion to print. Roth has always taken liberties with the melodies and vocals at the shows. Fuckin' ass-clown.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good Afternoon All, From,Holy Shit,My kiwi balls Are On Fire,Mesa,AZ.

My Review from last Nights Van Halen Show will Be Short but Sweet.

As You Know I Dont say much But i Love You All.

Never seen Van halen Live In My Life,until last Night With Pete's brother And great friends.Let me Start By Saying That Kool And The Gang Was A sweet As Choice To start The Night off.I had been Drinking At Cooper's Town bar And Grill Trying To Met Up with DON DON.No Sign Of That Fucker At All.
    Now Pete's brother And Bean had Great Seats Near Eddie's Side Of the stage.Now My seat Were Still Good But In The Middle,near The back.This sweet As People give This Crazy kiwi from the heat their seats.No Shit,that Meant Alot To Me.I was just A touch Away From Eddie Van Halen.Please Note:My heart is Races Like crazyyyyyyyyyyy.

Now To the Main,In Your face show.

David "The Rock king" Lee Roth,what Can I say,Live In front of My kiwi Eyes.100%.You gave Everything he Could.No Fucking way was he Off at All.True Front man of Van Halen.End OF End.

Eddie "Hot Fingers" Van Halen.Nothing But,How Does He do It.The Love he has For Van Halen is So strong.:d

Alex "The Drum Master" Van Halen,His solo Was Cool As.Played Out Of his Socks.

Wolf "Fuck Off Bass" Van Halen,Thank You For being You.You ARE The Glue In Van Halen.

BTW...............Thanks For reading This,My English is Not the Best As Kiwi is My First Choice of Words.

BTWA.............First Kiwi Roth Army member In History To See Van Halen Live.So proud that I Could say That.

BTWAA...........My hat Goes Off To Pete's Brother And Friends for making This Kiwi's dream Come True.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Good Afternoon All, From,Holy Shit,My kiwi balls Are On Fire,Mesa,AZ.

My Review from last Nights Van Halen Show will Be Short but Sweet.

As You Know I Dont say much But i Love You All.

Never seen Van halen Live In My Life,until last Night With Pete's brother And great friends.Let me Start By Saying That Kool And The Gang Was A sweet As Choice To start The Night off.I had been Drinking At Cooper's Town bar And Grill Trying To Met Up with DON DON.No Sign Of That Fucker At All.
    Now Pete's brother And Bean had Great Seats Near Eddie's Side Of the stage.Now My seat Were Still Good But In The Middle,near The back.This sweet As People give This Crazy kiwi from the heat their seats.No Shit,that Meant Alot To Me.I was just A touch Away From Eddie Van Halen.Please Note:My heart is Races Like crazyyyyyyyyyyy.

Now To the Main,In Your face show.

David "The Rock king" Lee Roth,what Can I say,Live In front of My kiwi Eyes.100%.You gave Everything he Could.No Fucking way was he Off at All.True Front man of Van Halen.End OF End.

Eddie "Hot Fingers" Van Halen.Nothing But,How Does He do It.The Love he has For Van Halen is So strong.:d

Alex "The Drum Master" Van Halen,His solo Was Cool As.Played Out Of his Socks.

Wolf "Fuck Off Bass" Van Halen,Thank You For being You.You ARE The Glue In Van Halen.

BTW...............Thanks For reading This,My English is Not the Best As Kiwi is My First Choice of Words.

BTWA.............First Kiwi Roth Army member In History To See Van Halen Live.So proud that I Could say That.

BTWAA...........My hat Goes Off To Pete's Brother And Friends for making This Kiwi's dream Come True.
    Nice review! But I can't believe you have never seen VH live!! But then again I didn't see the "real" VH till 08. I am glad you finally got to see the greatness that we all love.. It looks and sounds like it was a great show from the clips I have seen.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one. I think I'll stick with what the folks here at the Army have to say.
    We all know what it is about and we get it. If I was to write a live U2 review it would not be good because I don't get it. Just one of those things.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Review from the Arizona Republic's Ed Masley....much more generous. He enjoyed it. The pics they took, posted here: http://www.azcentral.com/photo/Enter...nt/Music/22596

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...-lee-roth.html

David Lee Roth is a lot like Bob Dylan. Not in terms of having written "Like a Rolling Stone" - because he didn't do that. More in terms of approaching the songs his fans have come to hear him sing with no regard for the original recordings, singing what he feels like singing when he feels like singing it, changing the melody, changing the phrasing, leaving whole parts of the vocal by the wayside on a whim.

There may be notes he just can't hit at 57, which is fair enough. But there are other notes he could have hit on Saturday, June 16, as he rocked what looked to be a sold-out crowd at US Airways Center with Van Halen. In fact, on more than one occasion, he sang higher notes instead -- "My love is rotten to the core" in "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love," for example. That part isn't even high. But it was Saturday (except the time he shouted "yeah" instead of singing it).

Unlike Bob Dylan, though, who seems to sing his songs the way he pleases more because he doesn't feel as though he should be made to live up to the expectations of his audience, much less his critics, Diamond Dave spent his entire time on stage entertaining the audience, with his slides and his high kicks and yoga positions, his mike-stand-twirling antics, his constantly making ridiculous faces, his comic asides and rambling monologues, his hula dancing on "Tattoo" and asking a girl in the crowd "Have you already made a sex tape with that camera?" during "Romeo Delight." It almost seemed like singing was the last thing on his mind -- his "other" job, his real job being making sure that everyone who paid to see the show was duly entertained.

And here's the thing. It worked. Even Eddie Van Halen was laughing. So was Wolfgang, Eddie's kid, who's playing bass instead of Michael Anthony.

There may have been some people there who weren't as entertained by Roth's shenanigans as myself and the Van Halen family on stage. But there sure seemed to be a lot of smiling, clapping, cheering people standing up and partying like it was 1984 for the duration of the concert. And a lot of that had everything to do with Diamond Dave.

The show opened with dive-bombing whammy bar action and squealing high notes on Eddie's guitar giving way to the opening riff of the classic "Unchained" as Roth slid and twirled his way across the stage in a black rhinestone outfit waving the towel he used to wipe away his sweat throughout the night. The interaction between the mugging front man and the lead guitarist (whose solo on "Unchained," it should be noted, was amazing) seemed unforced enough to back their story that there's been no tension on this tour. They seemed like friends.

"Unchained" was followed by the unmistakable low-end throb of "Runnin' With the Devil," Roth grabbing his crotch for comic effect and delivering one verse as spoken-word advice to Wolfgang.

And then, they dipped into "A Different Kind of Truth," Van Halen's first album with Roth on vocals since the glory days of "1984," for "She's the Woman," which found the singer doing crazed flamenco dancer moves. Before the night was through, they'd returned to the new one for "Tattoo," "China Town" and "The Trouble With Never." But they knew enough to keep the focus on the classics, including such obvious highlights as "Everybody Wants Some!!," "(Oh) Pretty Woman," "You Really Got Me," "Dance the Night Away," "And the Cradle Will Rock...," "Hot for Teacher," "Beautiful Girls" and "Panama." They also did the synthesizer-driven hits from "1984," of course, performing "I'll Wait" and the set-closing "Jump" with piped-in synth parts.

The sound in US Airways Center was pretty cacophonous, making it hard to hear the vocals in spots.

Even Eddie's guitar leads didn't cut through as well as they could have at times. But the playing was tight, with Wolfgang asserting himself on bass and vocals and Alex Van Halen playing a Latin-flavored drum solo to pre-recorded orchestration (which Roth proclaimed "the most amazing goddamned drum solo I've ever heard in my life" - or words to that effect).

And then there was Eddie. If Roth brought the smiles to the party at Saturday's show, it's still Eddie who brings the musical excitement to the table, tearing off one awe-inspiring guitar solo after another. Naming highlights would be pointless. If he played it, it was somewhere in the range between greatness and brilliance.

There are those who would go to the show specifically to see him play, and of that demographic, there are those who no doubt left the concert thinking he'd be better off touring without a front man as over-the-top as Diamond Dave. But that's what made Van Halen so much bigger than, say, Yngwie Malmsteen or Steve Vai (who briefly worked with Roth post-"1984"). You get more than guitar pyrotechnics. You get a good time guarantee.

And speaking of a good time guarantee, Kool & the Gang proved an oddly appropriate fit for the opening slot, if the reaction of the crowd was any indication. They played a nine-song set that moved from strength to strength, with their saxophone solos and thumping bass grooves, ending with a four-song power jam of "Jungle Boogie," "Ladies' Night," "Get Down On It" and "Celebration."

--Jason

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jvmaz77 View Post
    It almost seemed like singing was the last thing on his mind -- his "other" job, his real job being making sure that everyone who paid to see the show was duly entertained. And here's the thing. It worked.
    Isn't that what it's all about??? I want to go and have a bitchin' time. If I wanted to hear it just like on the album, I'd pop that in and sit on my ass at home and listen to it.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That version of EWS was killer , very entertaining. Ed and Dave intro antics , roundhouse kick , dropped mic stand even looked cool.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Isn't that what it's all about??? I want to go and have a bitchin' time. If I wanted to hear it just like on the album, I'd pop that in and sit on my ass at home and listen to it.

Amazing how even some posters here are expecting some boring pitch-perfect album rendition of the tunes...and VH was never about that.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Alex's solo and YRGM

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pretty Woman....pretty sure he's singing this to Momshell :-)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dance The Night Away!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And the Cradle Will Rock. Fuck....every video I watch makes me want to see a show more and more...

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And the Cradle Will Rock. Fuck....every video I watch makes me want to see a show more and more...
    Looks like a mic issue going on here.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'll Wait

I love the color of Ed's guitar

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I like your quote damngoodtimes :-)
    which one?
    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Unchained from a different angle...audio is fairly good.

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed Masley is my new fuckin' hero!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by damngoodtimes View Post
    which one?
    The one that matches mine silly!

"Told ya I was comin' back....etc"

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jvmaz77 View Post
    I'll Wait

I love the color of Ed's guitar

Yeah, the red Stealth is cool.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And the Cradle With Rock... different angle than above. Shows that the mic slipped out of Dave's hands. But the cameraman saved the day and located and returned it in just 10 seconds. Dave give him a shout out the next verse. Happens at 39 seconds.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There are more screams on this show than all the others combined...

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post

I noticed that and I like it. Seems like their energy is there too. I sure hope they don't lose this momentum after the break.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hot For Teacher (hoping for a better audio clip as this doesn't do the song and performance justice). From my seats, the crowd during the drum/ guitar dive bomb / crescendo at the end was louder than the band.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post

dave is getting stronger with every show now!
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dance The Night Away!!

Thank you!

(you just knew I'd be looking for this one)

*is it just me here, or does Dave sound motherfucking exceptionally great on the vocals for this?
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    man this break is coming at a shitty time when dave seems to be hitting his groove
    Last edited by vandeleur; 06-18-2012 at 05:03 AM. Reason: cant spell for shit
    fuck your fucking framing

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    the break will do them all a world of good, i reckon.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    the break will do them all a world of good, i reckon.
    your biased cos there stopping to come and play over in oz

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    your biased cos there stopping to come and play over in oz

damn, you got me mate!

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The one that matches mine silly!

"Told ya I was comin' back....etc"
    oh, yeah...that one

I had to dig back to your first post on the page to find that...

I'm sure we're not the only two with that one...

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    )

*is it just me here, or does Dave sound motherfucking exceptionally great on the vocals for this?
    it might be the best he has sung it this tour

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    EWS is rockin on that vid ....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Thank you!

(you just knew I'd be looking for this one)

I knew you'd love that one Sadist! Dave sounds fucking fabulous!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Romeo Delight

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    China Town

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    from the vids that is a killer show, the band are red hot and dave is great

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Holy shit Dave's calves looked good, man you knew it was going to be a great show.

The lack of the constant scarf is a good sign he is feeling good. Seems to be gaining some strength. Looking forward to New Orleans

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The republic's review is pretty fair I think. Didn't give Dave a free pass but stated what we all know, it just fucking works.

Thread Information