Thread: Official 5/22 Kansas City Meetup/Review Thread

shit faced
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by momshell View Post
    i would like eddie from van halen to play my clitoris like his guitar. Fucking amazing!!! twitter.com/mizchelle03/st…— mizch3ll3 (@mizchelle03) may 23, 2012
    woowwwwwwwwwwww

The Good,The Bad,&TheUgly
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Momshell View Post
    AMEN! Some people just don't get that Van Hagar was NOT Van Halen. Frustrates the shit out of me!
    Well Stated, Momshell!!!
    I'm Stayin' Frosty!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well - sure as hell can't top that tweet, and I'm not even gonna try! I'm going to sleep. Night night everyone!
    Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

The Good,The Bad,&TheUgly
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well - sure as hell can't top that tweet, and I'm not even gonna try! I'm going to sleep. Night night everyone!
    Good night! Looking forward to more reports!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good night everyone...bummed I missed out on the fun tonight....
    Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I would like Eddie from Van Halen to play my clitoris like his guitar. Fucking amazing!!! twitter.com/mizchelle03/st…— MizCh3ll3 (@mizchelle03) May 23, 2012
    Never thought of it before, but now that she mentions it...

"Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pants Off,I'm Here.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Holy Shit,Did She Say,clitoris.

shit faced
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes you seen it clit rectiley

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How Rude.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Fuck it's a Hagar shirt tho
    lol that is why I was laughing.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

who cares?
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What a show... my first concert ever and my last concert ever...both Van Halen. I can now die a happy woman. I can think of way I could die happier but I guess you get what you get in life right.

Whoever said Sprint Center doesn't have any bad seats was dead wrong... anyone wondering if is worth the extra money for better tickets... I would say if you don't care if you get to see anything, then no... but if you actually want to SEE Van Halen when you see them, then yes... spend the extra money. Otherwise, a blind sardine would have been quite happy with my vibrating seat.

It was an AWESOME show! I read the thread and see you have the set list already so I guess there is not much else to add. People have been saying that Ed is playing at his best, and I have to agree. People been dissing on Dave, and I have to disagree. But... and maybe its just me... if I wanted to understand what David was saying, singing, I had to put my fingers in my ears. Does this mean I am getting old? Could be. I met two gentlemen in the hall that had gotten upgrades on their seats, to what they said were better seats... but I wouldn't have been happy with them since they were somewhere in my vacinity... but I think the lady two seats down from me did get a decent upgrade-and though I was a little jealous it wasn't me, I was also happy it was her. She was there with her kid and they were dancing in the aisle and having a grand ole time.

There were a few things that could have made the show a little better for me... but a girl's gotta have her fantasies, even when she is more of an old woman than a girl!

who cares?
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not sure that it matters and thats probably why no one else posted... but there were some sort of religious presence with their signs across from Sprint before the show. They were not as entertaining as the preacher dude we saw vidoe of with the "No running with the devil" and "No hot for teacher"... but I found it curious anyway. There were signs that the Jews killed jesus, against gays, against Obama, and one dude was just carrying a sign that said I was going to hell-but didnt say why and another guy had a sign that said God was coming, but he didn't say when...

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The protestors were from the infamous Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka. I guess since they were just a couple of hours down the road in Joplin for President Obama's commencement speech for Joplin High School last night, they figured they would swing by KC on their way home.

I had a blast at the show - Eddie clean and sober is genuinely amazing, and Wolfie has now grown into his genes - he's now got stage presence and confidence, can hit and sustain Mike's old high backup vocals, and (in my opinion) is now a better bassist than Mike. That's not a knock against Mike - Wolfie just has magic genes. Kool & The Gang was AMAZING. When they were first announced as the opener, my first thought was "HUH?!", but Dave was right on the money. With every song, more and more hardened rock fans got out of their seats and started signing and dancing. By the time "Celebration" hit, they had melted the hearts of even the most hardened rockers. Dave put on a great show, but I felt horrible for him by the end. His vocal chords are obviously taking a thrashing. The spirit was more than willing, but there were times when the flesh was just too weak. That said, Wolfies vocal picked up the slack, and unlike the great show in 2007, this time Dave felt like Dave, and it felt like a real band again. In the '07 show, Dave was great, but he seemed to be restraining a lot of his innate Daveness so as not to rock the boat. Tonight he was full on Diamond Dave, and it was great to see him and the band genuinely getting a long and getting laughs out of each other, as opposed to the very forced feeling hugs and smiles from the 2007 show. If only Dave still had the pipes from that 2007 show, tonight would have been an amazing show as opposed to just a great one. Hopefully the break will let him get those pipes healed up.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just made the three hour drive home.
    Need sleep but wanted to get some thoughts down.

This is only my third time seeing them... All with Dave in the last 4 years. Having watched all of the you tube videos so far this tour and many from last... I have to honestly say that I haven't seen Dave more animated, more on... He was funny, active, cool and just killer.

Eddie blew me away as did Alex and Wolf...

Not only do I think this whole set of rumors about fighting is BS... I think they are honestly having the times of their lives together. Dave and Alex were joking a lot, Dave and Wolf were interacting a lot. Dave and Eddie were enjoying one another.

They were TIGHT. Holy crap. The music was played to perfection. The sound on the floor in front was amazing. Dave sounded stellar... I admit I was really worried having seen some of the struggles recently. I have been sub a huge fan for so many years I never wanted to see him struggle in person. Folks he nailed 95% of the vocals tonight. Some rough spots. It NOTHING like recently. I stood there with a big ass grin taking it all in... My phone crapped out but I had my Flip video and shot some songs... I need to create a YouTube account and post them soon. I hope some folks got good video o Dave being the ultimate Dave... Clever, cool, fun.

The soundcheck... What can I say. Never in my life did I ever think I would get to see a Van Halen soundcheck... Maybe i am easy to impress... But I could barely contain myself. A memory I will never forget. And Dave gave me the show of a lifetime. I saw him 3 times solo and now three times with Van Halen. This was tops. I am almost scared to see them again and lose this feeling of magic they had tonight.

Sorry this is rambling... It is 3am... I need sleep.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks RedEye. Glad you had a great time. YouTube is fairly easy to start & upload videos so get on it. look forward to seeing what footage you got.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly Blue View Post
    one dude was just carrying a sign that said I was going to hell-but didnt say why and another guy had a sign that said God was coming, but he didn't say when...

Dammit!

Can't believe they would leave you hanging like that.

At least when Van Halen say they are coming back, they not only give us the date, but down to within a 30 minute window.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck it's a Hagar shirt tho

But Balance is the best Van Hagar shirt.......since that was the album that busted em up & all. Couldn't be happier they recorded that shit album. Road to Diamond Dave is paved with unsold copies of Balance & VH III.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not one single YouTube. Come on Kansas City - WAKE UP!! Guess I'll check again later.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoFoolsAMinute View Post
    I don't know what's going on here with the Rock, but that picture is in front of palm trees. There aren't many palm trees in Kansas City, so unless those are fake trees, he's not in KC in that picture.

HAHA! Good eye. You are right though.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So far only the drums...

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    But Balance is the best Van Hagar shirt.......since that was the album that busted em up & all. Couldn't be happier they recorded that shit album. Road to Diamond Dave is paved with unsold copies of Balance & VH III.
    Oh , I see your point a little pain to get to the promised land .. I like it
    fuck your fucking framing

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hate reading the tweets. Lots ragging on Dave's vocals. I have no doubt the reason for the break is behind that. Of course, in 2017 they'll tell us that was the reason.

Dave's so freaking confident in himself, he probably figures he can "do it" and no one will be the wiser. Us die-hards know him so well, but for those who haven't thought of him in years, well, they don't look and go "hmmm, what's up with Dave's throat?"

I just hope whatever it is, can be "repaired", and that no irreparable damage is being caused by not stopping sooner.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm curious what percentage of people ragging on his voice have actually seen him live before. Now he is not as good as 07 and has consistency problems but he is Dave. For Dave its about what I would expect from a near 60 smoker. He also seems to be getting stronger as the tour goes on. I think has been as expected, expectations are a large part of how unhappy or happy you are with Dave's voice. That said I do expect when they come back he will be sounding a bit better but again better for a 60 year old smoker.
    Now is there anyway to get him to stop smoking? Good luck

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, there is a lot of bitching about "talking" the lyrics and forgetting words as well. Hell, even my room-mate who is only a casual fan (but does not like Hagar), even knows that's just Dave!

As for the smoking, good luck with that. I'm a smoker too, and haven't managed to quit, although of course I know I should. BUT, I don't need to get onstage and sing, and when I'm doing a play, I just need to stay in character and clear my throat. AC blowing directly on me KILLS me. I've been so stuffed up from it that I couldn't even talk. Conclusion: yup, it's the smoking.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh , I see your point a little pain to get to the promised land .. I like it

I just meant if they were more successful with Sammy or even Cherone that there never may have been a return of Dave. So I am happy for the terrible sales of Balance & VH III since it helped set-up the mighty return of Roth.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just meant if they were more successful with Sammy or even Cherone that there never may have been a return of Dave. So I am happy for the terrible sales of Balance & VH III since it helped set-up the mighty return of Roth.
    Am with you all the way bro

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I will get the videos I have uploaded soon... I got home at 3 AM and was up at 7:15 for my daughter's last day of school activities. I just got lunch and am sitting down at my office desk. Sorry I am not more up on things.

I am still in awe from last night. The sound issue Molly Blue mentioned with Dave's voice... must be a location in the arena thing because on the floor center stage it was mixed perfectly. I think the you tubes we have seen thin out Dave's voice... he sounded great last night anyway.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well these up0loads may take a while... damn!

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Watching these videos makes me SO GLAD I took them... WHEN I get Ice Cream Man uploaded (or if someone beats me to it) I think the world can rest easy that there is zero trouble in paradise... you will see how much fun ALL of them are having. SO good to see.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Watching these videos makes me SO GLAD I took them... WHEN I get Ice Cream Man uploaded (or if someone beats me to it) I think the world can rest easy that there is zero trouble in paradise... you will see how much fun ALL of them are having. SO good to see.
    Thanks for all of your work! Looking forward to seeing what you got, and I'm really happy for you that you had such an amazing show!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nicely said!

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Having never uploaded there before... is it normal for a medium sized movie to take an estimated 2 hours to upload? It may be the dang DSL at work... if nothing else I will upload tonight from home on the cable modem.

EDIT to mention I used an HD camcorder so maybe that is the reason for the larger files?? Newbie here...

EDIT again... screw it I am uploading from home after work. Sorry folks.. hopefully others will upload theirs in the meantime.
    Last edited by RedEye; 05-23-2012 at 02:15 PM.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/23...nt-center.html

Van Halen ignites Sprint Center crowd

David Lee Roth is a little slower, but he brings the showmanship and Van Halen brothers bring the musical pyrotechnics.

BY TIMOTHY FINN
    The Kansas City Star

A few days after it announced the postponement of dozens of shows on its tour, amid rumors that band members “hated each other,” according to Rolling Stone, Van Halen headlined a show at the Sprint Center. And everything appeared hunky-dory. There were plenty of smiles, hugs and even a kiss or two among the band during the two hour show, which was a rag-tag blend of sweet nostalgia, campy entertainment and arena-sized rock ’n’ roll.

In return, a crowd of more than 8,500 bestowed upon the band a steady shower of appreciation and unconditional love.

This is the second tour for this version of Van Halen, which features founding members David Lee Roth on vocals, brothers Eddie and Alex Van Halen on guitar and drums, and Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie’s son, on bass. He joined the band in 2007 for the Roth reunion tour, which came to the Sprint Center. Five years later, everyone is older, for better and worse.

Wolfgang, now 22, is a more steady presence in the band, though he still lacks the stage personae of founding bassist Michael Anthony. Alex is still a madman on the drums. Eddie Van Halen is still pyrotechnic on guitar. And Roth? He’s still a man out in his own orbit, part hammy game-show host, part comedian, part rock-star diva in leather and sequins. He can’t sing like he used to, he can’t leap and kick like he used to, he can’t remember all the lyrics, and he barely has the wind to cross the finish line of a two-hour show. Yet he gives the band what it also needs: personae and schtick.

Tuesday’s openers were Kool and the Gang, who are all about pairing showmanship with musicianship. Its 45-minute set was stocked with its best-known hits, like “Hollywood Swinging,” “Ladies Night,” “Get Down On It,” and “Celebration.” Throughout the set, there was plenty of dancing, on stage and in the crowd. During “Jungle Boogie,” the band’s trumpet player stopped, nailed a one-handed cartwheel and picked up his solo again.

Roth had nothing like that in his repertoire. Instead, most of the night he shuffled and danced like the tipsy uncle at a wedding — not nearly as suave as he thinks he is. If there is trouble within the band it likely starts with him. His weird interaction with a female he said was young enough to be his daughter was odd, if not borderline creepy. After he perceived that she was laughing at him, he gave her a lecture on how to sex-up her fishnet stockings. Later, he gave Wolfie a history lesson on the song “Panama.” (It’s about a stripper, not the country.)

They opened with “Unchained,” from the “Fair Warning” album, now more than 30 years old. The sound was not great at first. I was standing on the floor, not far from the soundboard, and Roth’s vocals were buried in the mix. It seemed to improve gradually as the night went on; at least it sounded better on the top of the first level, where I watched the last half of the show.

The band played before an enormous video screen that broadcast a mix of black-and-white live scenes from the stage and other pre-recorded footage — a good thing for the many people in the cheaper upper-level seats.

The set list included four songs from “A Different Kind of Truth,” released in February. The rest was a good mix of hits and favorites: “Everybody Wants Some,” “Runnin’ With the Devil,” “Somebody Get Me A Doctor,” “Hot for Teacher.” The crowd gave most of them huge ovations, especially “Devil” and “Teacher,” but the songs that ignited the biggest responses were the pop tunes, such as “Dance the Night Away,” “(Oh) Pretty Woman” and “Jump.”

About halfway in, Alex Van Halen put on a brief drum solo with a Caribbean beat, like something out of a Jimmy Buffet concert.. Late in the show, Eddie put on a guitar clinic that went on a little too long for which Roth ordained him reigning world champion. And Wolfgang did yeoman’s work on bass and background vocals.

Roth’s performance was more uneven. He toyed with his vocal delivery on a few songs, half-scatting the beginning of “You Really Got Me,” for example; he dropped some lyrics (as he did in 2007). He also shared part of his life away from the band. After “Beautiful Girls,” he came out on stage alone, playing acoustic guitar as the video screen showed footage of Roth with his herding dogs, which he talked about fondly and proudly. Then he performed “Ice Cream Man” solo, until the band joined him and set the second half of the song on fire.

There was a rumor flying around that Sammy Hagar, who replaced Roth in 1985, was in the Sprint Center on Tuesday. It sounds more like a hoax or a case of mistaken identity. Hagar has already chimed in on the show postponements: “They’re hard people to get along with, those brothers. I predicted this was going to happen.”

If Hagar had been in the house on Tuesday, however, he’d have realized that (a) everyone is getting along well enough to make it through a show every night; and (b) Roth is the guy most Van Halen fans prefer, by a long shot, despite the flaws in his game.

All that was most evident during the finale. As soon as the keyboard intro to “Jump” was piped in, the place went a little crazy. Eddie jumped around like his favorite team had just won the World Series and Roth looked like a guy taking a victory lap. By song’s end he was waving a checkered flag, standing in a blizzard of confetti. It was the perfect ending to an entertaining night, moral implied. Life’s too short for grudges and regrets. Might as well jump and dance while you still can.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yet ANOTHER Moron.

who cares?
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Its the Kansas City Star... you really shouldn't expect more.

who cares?
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Okay, a few other comments on comments that have been made.

I didn't see Sammy, Michael Anthony, or the Rock at this show, but then I guess none of them would have been sitting in the cheap upper level seats where I was...

As for no palm trees in Kansas City, did anyone check Dave's dressing room? I didn't - I wasn't invited.

The only part of the review in the Kansas City Star you should pay any attention to was the part about an arena full of people giving unconditional love to the band. There were a lot of old people like me... people older than me... and a hell of a lot more people younger than me that I really would have expected. I had a single guy seated on either side of me *YEAH* and both of them appeared to be in their early 20's *BOO* and they were having a wonderful time. And as for Ed guitar solo being too long, that dude needs to switch to reviewing restaurants or something. Eddie was on fire! As for the crowd coming alive at JUMP, it wasn't the crowd... it was the stage...something to do with all the confetti blowing around. The crowd was alive all night. But it was a grand finale and it was supposed to leave you feeling as if you had just witnessed something spectacular, and it did. As for Dave's "creepy" exchange with the young gal... a) thats part of the show and b) I really feel like he toned it down a little... For instance... in Ice Cream man, I believe that line used to be strawberry and dick...

Dave's performance was uneven and he toyed with his vocals... duh... has there ever been a time when hasn't toyed with his vocals. Take one thing from this... its live and you know it. I'm not going to pretend none of us isn't getting any older. I said earlier I cannot say at the other shows how he sounded, but last nights show was fine F-F-I-N-E Fine.. I could say a lot more about hoping Dave knows when its time to quit... but this a Dave site... and I been in enough hot water here already so I will leave it be. BUT I will emphasize... with all honesty and sincerity... there was no SHAME in last nights performance from beginning to end, it rocked.

Alex and Wolfgang...sorry I am not saying more about you. If I had been closer and I could honestly comment about your stage presence I would. If I were a master drummer, maybe I could give a better critique... the lights on the drums during Alex's solo was cool... I could see those. I am pretty sure Wolfgang is coming along just perfectly - the kids 22 years old and has shared the stage with Eddie Van Halen... Alex Van Halen... David Lee Roth... and Sammy Hagar... and hes only just begun... I got my eye on ya kid...and my prayers are with you... Rock on little buddy... Rock on.

So lets see... I seen Van Halen live - stood right beside the speakers, Van Hagar live in the golden rings, DLR Band live midrange seats...and now Van Halen live from the cheap seats and from all of this I have learned one thing. When you go to a Van Halen concert you don't just hear it, you don't just see it, you feel it...and last night I was still feeling it.

P.S. Sorry no You tubes from me... all I got is a cheap disposable cell phone. I did get pictures of the empty seats while Kool and Gang was playing (which promptly filled when Van Halen took the stage) and the protesters outside if anyone wants to see those.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Em' Up! View Post
    holy jesus!!! Did i just read that right????
    lmao

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I didn't see Sammy, Michael Anthony, or the Rock at this show, but then I guess none of them would have been sitting in the cheap upper level seats where I was...

there is no WAY hagar is going to a Proper van halen gig ....his tiny ego couldnt take it ...
    There is no way your gonna go see your ex wifes wedding especially if you know she is gonna get fucked properly by the main man
    Last edited by vandeleur; 05-23-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: cos i cant spell and drink

who cares?
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

there is no WAY hagar is going to a Proper van halen gig ....his tiny ego couldnt take it ...
    There is no way your gonna go see your ex wifes wedding especially if you know she is gonna get fucked properly by the main man
    thank goodness for the edit button...couldn't stand the thought of someone having to give up drinking while posting!

and that reminds me... talking about Dave's schtick and being creepy... I ALSO went and saw Sammy and Michael when they were in KC and Dave's spiel was not as bad as Sammy's wherein he made reference to the van hagar songs being about sex and about using sex toys...I actually left that show before the end... Its one thing to take a band about getting drunk, getting laid and having a rock and roll good time and hitting on some little bitty bit dressed like she wants to get laid... and destroying songs about hopes and dreams and love.

And I have it on good authority that David attended at least one of the Van Hagar shows... if his ego can take it, Sammy's can. Shit, they each made the other a boat load of money just by taking the stage with Eddie.

Thread Information