X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GreenEyedMurder
    Head Fluffer
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Zing!
    As I was slightly behind the speakers, my opinion of the sound would probably differ than most - but it sounded great to me. I skipped the earplugs for the first half of the show just so I could soak in the pureness and raw energy of VH's sound - then put them in for the second half just so I could more accurately gauge Ed's playing and Dave's singing. If Ed missed a note, I didn't hear it - he was flawless - even during Cathedral (which honestly put a lump in my throat, it was so beautifully played). I've seen EVH perform 7 times in my life, and that was easily - hands down without question or contest - the best I've ever heard him play... or ANYONE play guitar for that matter. A+ perfect score plus extra credit for his flying Eddie jump after his solo!

Dave, on the other hand, sounded ragged. I didn't really notice him forgetting words or entire verses - or maybe I just didn't care. It's Dave - it's a rock concert - and it honestly didn't bother me (in fact, I thought he did fantastic on some songs, like China Town, getting in as many words as he did!) What pisses me off for those people bagging him, is that in my eyes the man knew his pipes were running at red-line, but he still gave it everything he had to put on the best show he could, making up for his vocal shortcomings by being the hardest working frontman in rock. He was all smiles and seemed absolutely thrilled at the capacity crowd (yes, it seemed capacity to me - not sure how or why it is being called a 'near-sellout'). Perhaps it was the fact that I put in earplugs, but Dave's voice seemed to get hoarse and VERY raspy at the half-way point. Perhaps recordings of this show will bear this out and not just be my beer-soaked interpretation.

In my opinion he made it through the 5/19 show, and who knows how many shows prior to that, by sheer will-power alone. Am I heaping to much super hero praise on the man? Probably. I love Dave to death and want people to appreciate him as much as I do. But I'm also calling it like I see it (or hear it). The fact that he even attempted a couple of screams - during Panama and ATBL I think - amazed me. The tour break HAS to be due to Dave's vocal issues, in my opinion.
    Glad to hear you enjoyed the show! As for Dave's perceived issues, I think that anyone who wants technical perfection should just not bother buying concert tix and just keep listening to the albums.

Comment

• Zing!
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

'Near sell-out?' You be the judge.

This was moments after K&TG left the stage...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Zing!; 05-20-2012, 07:57 PM. Reason: Get down! Get down!
      My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Northern Girl
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

As I was slightly behind the speakers, my opinion of the sound would probably differ than most - but it sounded great to me. I skipped the earplugs for the first half of the show just so I could soak in the pureness and raw energy of VH's sound - then put them in for the second half just so I could more accurately gauge Ed's playing and Dave's singing. If Ed missed a note, I didn't hear it - he was flawless - even during Cathedral (which honestly put a lump in my throat, it was so beautifully played). I've seen EVH perform 7 times in my life, and that was easily - hands down without question or contest - the best I've ever heard him play... or ANYONE play guitar for that matter. A+ perfect score plus extra credit for his flying Eddie jump after his solo!

Dave, on the other hand, sounded ragged. I didn't really notice him forgetting words or entire verses - or maybe I just didn't care. It's Dave - it's a rock concert - and it honestly didn't bother me (in fact, I thought he did fantastic on some songs, like China Town, getting in as many words as he did!) What pisses me off for those people bagging him, is that in my eyes the man knew his pipes were running at red-line, but he still gave it everything he had to put on the best show he could, making up for his vocal shortcomings by being the hardest working frontman in rock. He was all smiles and seemed absolutely thrilled at the capacity crowd (yes, it seemed capacity to me - not sure how or why it is being called a 'near-sellout'). Perhaps it was the fact that I put in earplugs, but Dave's voice seemed to get hoarse and VERY raspy at the half-way point. Perhaps recordings of this show will bear this out and not just be my beer-soaked interpretation.

In my opinion he made it through the 5/19 show, and who knows how many shows prior to that, by sheer will-power alone. Am I heaping to much super hero praise on the man? Probably. I love Dave to death and want people to appreciate him as much as I do. But I'm also calling it like I see it (or hear it). The fact that he even attempted a couple of screams - during Panama and ATBL I think - amazed me. The tour break HAS to be due to Dave's vocal issues, in my opinion.
        Sure looked capacity to me too! Fantastic crowd! It was a love fest all around. The band has great chemistry, real or imagined and were clearly having a blast. The crowd response was great even for the new songs. All in all a great show.

I thought Dave sounded better the second half of the show with the more melodic songs like Pretty Woman. I didn't hear any hoarseness at all. The only thing I noticed was the messed up or lack of lyrics. Didn't bother me so much, but I saw a lot of eye rolling from those around me. Dave's vocals were the strongest part of the 2007 tour, so I know he can do better if he wants to. Maybe he's been reading all the idiot reviews that say he can't jump like 1984 and feels he needs to focus more on the dancing and moves. I disagree, but no one asked me. He was completely entertaining and engaging as always.

Ed was flat out amazing. Nothing else to say!
        Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• 78/84 guy
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Apr 2005

The people that rag on Dave, I really do not get it at all. And from people at the Army it really confuses me. The man has never been Paul Rodgers live !!! EVER !! Have you followed his career ?? I hate to sound harsh but really ? Like I said up a few posts, Dave lives in the moment on stage. Always has. There was no You Tube videos in 84 after every show to disect. I could do without the dance floor because he might put in more of an effort singing. But the guy can't jump from the drum riser anymore so he is doing something new. It works to a point yes. But sometimes it distracts him from singing. I have seen him sing better for sure. 07 would be the high point. 94 tour the low point. He along with his band were not great. I thought his days were numbered if he was going to keep on the path of Your Filthy Mouth. Thank god Brain Young kicked him in the ass. Or Ed in 96 for that matter. Dave was as good as he could be last night. He isn't stupid. He knows his shortcomings as a singer at this point. If his fans don't realize that he isn't perfect live the really havent watched him over the years.
          Last edited by 78/84 guy; 05-20-2012, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by GreenEyedMurder
            Glad to hear you enjoyed the show! As for Dave's perceived issues, I think that anyone who wants technical perfection should just not bother buying concert tix and just keep listening to the albums.
            Dave is not even perfect on the albums...but that's just PERFECT!
            Roth Army Icon
            First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
              The people that rag on Dave, I really do not get it at all. And from people at the Army it really confuses me. The man has never been Paul Rodgers live !!! EVER !! Have you followed his career ?? I hate to sound harsh but really ? Like I said up a few posts, Dave lives in the moment on stage. Always has. There was no You Tube videos in 84 after every show to disect. I could do without the dance floor because he might put in more of an effort singing. But the guy can't jump from the drum riser anymore so he is doing someting new. It works to a point yes. But sometimes it distracts him from singing. I have seen him sing better for sure. 07 would be the high point. 94 tour the low point. He along with his band were not great. I thought his days were numbered if he was going to keep on the path of Your Filthy Mouth. Thank god Brain Young kicked him in the ass. Or Ed in 96 for that matter. Dave was as good as he could be last night. He isn't stupid. He knows his shortcomings as a singer at this point. If his fans don't realize that he isn't perfect live the really havent watched him over the years.

out of thanks...so here is an Amen!
              Roth Army Icon

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
                Veteran
                • Mar 2012

'Near sell-out?' You be the judge.

This was moments after K&TG left the stage...
                Looks as packed as a can of tuna fish! Kick ass!
                Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Comment

• Zing!
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

Sure wish we could have hooked up for pints Northern Girl and 78/84. I asked several folks with Roth Army shirts their names, hoping they were you guys - but to no avail. Almost everyone I asked said they were members years ago but hadn't checked in here in ages. Many seemed surprised that the Army was still operational. Had a great conversation with a Canuck and his wife outside of Eagles for about a half an hour. Spotted his DLR t-shirt from the ALAE tour - complimented him on his attire. He had a bitchin VH tat on his shoulder - didn't even think to snap a pic of it. Next time we'll be a little more organized...

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Momshell
                    YRGM, Trouble With Never

you gotta love how ed dances after the jam...! tell me these guys don't have fun...
                    Roth Army Icon

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by GreenEyedMurder
                      Thank you very much !! Enough said. I think you posted this as I was writing mine. Dave did sound better than the You Tube clips. But hell most of the clips from this show are good. I think Dave talked a little more than some shows this year. It looked like he was having a blast. So did Ed ! That photo from the press says it all !! And I remember watching Ed do it. Very cool.

Comment

• Northern Girl
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                        The people that rag on Dave, I really do not get it at all. And from people at the Army it really confuses me. The man has never been Paul Rodgers live !!! EVER !! Have you followed his career ?? I hate to sound harsh but really ? Like I said up a few posts, Dave lives in the moment on stage. Always has. There was no You Tube videos in 84 after every show to disect. I could do without the dance floor because he might put in more of an effort singing. But the guy can't jump from the drum riser anymore so he is doing someting new. It works to a point yes. But sometimes it distracts him from singing. I have seen him sing better for sure. 07 would be the high point. 94 tour the low point. He along with his band were not great. I thought his days were numbered if he was going to keep on the path of Your Filthy Mouth. Thank god Brain Young kicked him in the ass. Or Ed in 96 for that matter. Dave was as good as he could be last night. He isn't stupid. He knows his shortcomings as a singer at this point. If his fans don't realize that he isn't perfect live the really havent watched him over the years.
                        Hello, I'm Northern Girl, member #200! Thanks so much for telling me all about Dave. I know nothing about him. None of us here do.

No one is expecting him to be perfect, but facts are facts. I know the songs. I know the lyrics and I know what I heard. And NO FUCKING WAY was Dave as good as he could be last night. Now you are the one ragging on him and basically saying subpar is all we can ever expect of him. I don't fucking believe that.
                        Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Apr 2005

Sure wish we could have hooked up for pints Northern Girl and 78/84. I asked several folks with Roth Army shirts their names, hoping they were you guys - but to no avail. Almost everyone I asked said they were members years ago but hadn't checked in here in ages. Many seemed surprised that the Army was still operational. Had a great conversation with a Canuck and his wife outside of Eagles for about a half an hour. Spotted his DLR t-shirt from the ALAE tour - complimented him on his attire. He had a bitchin VH tat on his shoulder - didn't even think to snap a pic of it. Next time we'll be a little more organized...
                          I really was on the lookout for Army shirts. I am suprised I didn't see one. I thought it would be easy to spot you guys. I didn't even think of it in 07. Have to PM our numbers next time out.

Comment

• Zing!
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Northern Girl
                            NO FUCKING WAY was Dave as good as he could be last night. Now you are the one ragging on him and basically saying subpar is all we can ever expect of him. I don't fucking believe that.
                            Maybe he was getting down with Kool before the show.

Comment

• loucap81
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Apr 2012

How long does it take to recover from vocal cord surgery, 4-6 weeks? I wonder if that would even fix the problem. In fact I wonder why there is a problem. His voice sounded so good in 2007-08 and it's not like he did any touring between the end of that tour and this one.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Great show! I don't know if its the camera footage and how the crowd noise translates, but it seems a little quiet.

Maybe the US venues should import some Canadian brew?
                                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...