X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Northern Girl
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    OK, so singer David Lee Roth had trouble hitting his high notes. He missed plenty of low and in-between notes, too.
    I've stayed away from here for the past few months so I wouldn't read all the BS and watch any vids, but I did hear some things about Dave's singing; and I have to agree. I was disappointed and somewhat embarrassed of Dave. His voice is still there (excellent actually), he just isn't singing half the lyrics. He missed more than he sang. Just flat out skipped them or sang them wrong. He was having a hell of a lot of fun though and danced his ass off.

I still enjoyed it thoroughly - just seeing them live and up (fairly) close was worth it for me.
    Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• 78/84 guy
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Northern Girl
      I've stayed away from here for the past few months so I wouldn't read all the BS and watch any vids, but I did hear some things about Dave's singing; and I have to agree. I was disappointed and somewhat embarrassed of Dave. His voice is still there (excellent actually), he just isn't singing half the lyrics. He missed more than he sang. Just flat out skipped them or sang them wrong. He was having a hell of a lot of fun though and danced his ass off.

I still enjoyed it thoroughly - just seeing them live and up (fairly) close was worth it for me.
      Some of that is true. Thats why I wish he would lose the dance floor ! But Dave has never been one for getting it all perfect. Not his thing. He lives in the moment on stage. And so be it. I think he gets lost in the moment and forgets his spots on some of the verses he mixes up. Fuck it. He is in my top 5 of all time. Why ? Great lyrics and the fucker puts a smile on my face ! I was going to pay as much attention to Ed as I could last night being so close but Dave is hard not to watch !! I put that show in my top 5 of all time. I wouldn't say that about the 07 show. But that was a great show also.

Comment

• fast ed
        Roth Army Recruit
        • Dec 2007

I'll chime in too, I'm a frequent lurker but non-poster. I sat in row one on the section next to Eddie so had a great view of everything going on.

Eddie was phenomenal, I've seen VH five times and this is the best I've ever seen him play. Solos, sound, and effort all were top notch, you couldn't really ask for anything more from him.

Dave's vocals were definitely off at times. There were a few times where his voice was flat to actually off key, I don't think there's any denying it. I didn't think skipping lyrics was a big deal (some of the people I was with didn't like it), because he's been doing that from the beginning. Both of those items being said, Dave more than makes up for any voice weakness with showmanship, personality, and stage presence. To me that's what people love about Dave, and that's why you you can't take your eyes off him when he's onstage.

In terms of not getting along, there was no evidence of it onstage last night. I was at one of the last shows w/Hagar and at that show it was obvious that Eddie and Sammy weren't getting along. After seeing everything up close last night, I'm skeptical that infighting is an issue.

All in all a great show overall, one that I'd gladly pay to see again.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Girl! I missed ya...and I say it like I mean it
          Roth Army Icon
          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Zing!
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
            A guy I know was up high and said Daves vocals were muddy up there. That place is known for good sound though. On the floor was clear as hell. Loved the mix.
            As I was slightly behind the speakers, my opinion of the sound would probably differ than most - but it sounded great to me. I skipped the earplugs for the first half of the show just so I could soak in the pureness and raw energy of VH's sound - then put them in for the second half just so I could more accurately gauge Ed's playing and Dave's singing. If Ed missed a note, I didn't hear it - he was flawless - even during Cathedral (which honestly put a lump in my throat, it was so beautifully played). I've seen EVH perform 7 times in my life, and that was easily - hands down without question or contest - the best I've ever heard him play... or ANYONE play guitar for that matter. A+ perfect score plus extra credit for his flying Eddie jump after his solo!

Dave, on the other hand, sounded ragged. I didn't really notice him forgetting words or entire verses - or maybe I just didn't care. It's Dave - it's a rock concert - and it honestly didn't bother me (in fact, I thought he did fantastic on some songs, like China Town, getting in as many words as he did!) What pisses me off for those people bagging him, is that in my eyes the man knew his pipes were running at red-line, but he still gave it everything he had to put on the best show he could, making up for his vocal shortcomings by being the hardest working frontman in rock. He was all smiles and seemed absolutely thrilled at the capacity crowd (yes, it seemed capacity to me - not sure how or why it is being called a 'near-sellout'). Perhaps it was the fact that I put in earplugs, but Dave's voice seemed to get hoarse and VERY raspy at the half-way point. Perhaps recordings of this show will bear this out and not just be my beer-soaked interpretation.

In my opinion he made it through the 5/19 show, and who knows how many shows prior to that, by sheer will-power alone. Am I heaping to much super hero praise on the man? Probably. I love Dave to death and want people to appreciate him as much as I do. But I'm also calling it like I see it (or hear it). The fact that he even attempted a couple of screams - during Panama and ATBL I think - amazed me. The tour break HAS to be due to Dave's vocal issues, in my opinion.
            Last edited by Zing!; 05-20-2012, 05:06 PM.
            My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
              Veteran
              • Mar 2012

Hey Zing! Thanks tons for the updates last night....much appreciate!
              Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

That was a great moment! Great way to start the show...
                yeah, even Al manages to fake a smile...
                Roth Army Icon

Comment

• Zing!
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Light Em' Up!
                  Hey Zing! Thanks tons for the updates last night....much appreciate!
                  You're welcome - but I feel like I totally dropped the ball for you guys. I had the best of intentions to keep you up to speed on the set-list, but once they got to STW, I was in full =VH= mode. Couldn't bring myself to look away from the spectacle and bury my nose in my phone. I did get one vid (Tattoo of all songs!) and I will try to upload some extremely random pics from my day in St. Paul.

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Zing!
                    You're welcome - but I feel like I totally dropped the ball for you guys. I had the best of intentions to keep you up to speed on the set-list, but once they got to STW, I was in full =VH= mode. Couldn't bring myself to look away from the spectacle and bury my nose in my phone. I did get one vid (Tattoo of all songs!) and I will try to upload some extremely random pics from my day in St. Paul.
                    You did great! Between you and Twitter, we pretty much got the idea of what was happening. We were screaming for a confirmation of Cradle, but I guess you didn't hear us...
                    Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Comment

• Zing!
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2011

Ice Cream Man....
                      David Lee Roth! David Lee Roth! Your Ice Cream Man! The one and only!

Comment

• SunisinuS
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • May 2010

Thank you Eddie and Zing.

That actually made me tear up.
                        Last edited by SunisinuS; 05-20-2012, 07:17 PM.
                        Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Northern Girl
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                          Girl! I missed ya...and I say it like I mean it
                          Love from Germany! Outstanding!

Comment

• Northern Girl
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
                            I thought the show sounded sub-par. It was much better in 2007!
                            I thought the sound was great, but I was dead center on the floor too!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
                              David Lee Roth! David Lee Roth! Your Ice Cream Man! The one and only!
                              see how they deeply hate each other!

THIS is VH, bitches!!!
                              Roth Army Icon

Comment

• Zing!
                                Veteran
                                • Oct 2011

We were screaming for a confirmation of Cradle, but I guess you didn't hear us...
                                Ha ha - you got me. I was so in the moment, it did not register whatsoever that Cradle was an alternate. After seeing them play it in 07 and then again in 08, it just seemed natural that they would play that song now. I did not realize that that was unusual until I got home and checked the Army! I told you I get INTO IT when I'm at a VH show. It's probably only a matter of time until "Idiot Air-Guitaring At Van Halen Show" appears on YouTube...

Comment

Working...