X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Light Em' Up!
    Veteran
    • Mar 2012

Oooops
    Last edited by Light Em' Up!; 05-20-2012, 12:02 PM.
    Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Comment

• SNIPER
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jun 2004

DUPE!! Always wanted to do that.

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
        Veteran
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Momshell
        Is the show over? I'm officially drunk! I'm a cheap date!
        I was the same way! Sipping beers, cranking tunes, following the show and the Tweets and then I just nodded off. Woke up to the Foo Fighters and Mick Jagger on SNL and was pissed I missed the rest of the VH show. Oh well...too many beers and too good of a time I guess.
        I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
          Veteran
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Momshell
          Certainly not trying to bully anyone - I don't really care what does turn her on, and it's not like I started tweeting her all sorts of insults. IMO, she insulted Dave because of his age, and I take offense to that. When I'm drinking and someone criticizes Dave, I attack. Sorry if that offended anyone.
          Nothing wrong with being passionate about your beliefs....I too have found myself "scrappy" when it comes to VH.

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
            Veteran
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by SNIPER
            DUPE!! Always wanted to do that.
            Glad I could help you make that happen!
            Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Comment

• vaijuju
              Sniper
              • Jan 2008

from the St Paul Newspaper
              http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Apr 2005

Great footage !! Its almost like being there ! He He ! Props to their sound man. He knows how to mix these guys. If you see a boot of this show get it. They were on fire.

Comment

• NATEDOG001976
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2004

I thought the show sounded sub-par. It was much better in 2007!
                  http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...19yc8872wu.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5...0269il5.th.jpg

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern - dude - you sounded cool as a cucumber - totally relaxed and spoke with authority - must say I was a bit surprised but you sounded really at ease - super cool-like.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra - nate, you are the fucking attention whore of the day and you DESERVE it

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise - BTW, bravo NATE! Soon Dave will mention the Army by himself!

Originally posted by franksters Have you heard Nate properly, We now moved up to an ''Organisation'' Awesome man!!
                  Roth army....more than an army....it's a gr8 Organization!!

Originally posted by Northern Girl
                  Nate, so cool. I'm listening to the Dallas feed, so it'll be coming up in a while. Can't wait!

Comment

• VAiN
                    Use my hand, I won't look
                    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
                    I thought the show sounded sub-par. It was much better in 2007!
                    Was that due to your location in the arena?
                    Originally posted by wiseguy
                    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                      Veteran
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by vaijuju

Rolling Stone will pic this photo up and say, "Eddie Van Halen's hatred for David Lee Roth came to a head with this on stage punch as brother Alex looked on with an approving smile."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Follow the StarTribune for the news, photos and videos from the Twin Cities and beyond.

Review: Van Halen not yet erupting
                        Updated: May 20, 2012 - 1:00 PM

Diamond Dave's singing was rough, but the band sounded far from over at Saturday's congenial Xcel Center show.

David Lee Roth and his Van Halen bandmates played to a crowd of 14,000 on Saturday at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul.

If dysfunction and infighting were reliable indicators of a band losing its musical chops, then half of the legendary bands out there would be punchlines, and the Dave Matthews Band would be the greatest group in rock.

Saturday's nearly sold-out Van Halen concert at Xcel Energy Center wasn't the Hall of Fame rock band's greatest showing, but it was still a whole amplifier's stack better than what many people expected.

The show arrived on the heels and headlines of the quartet's abrupt cancellation of the final two months of its summer tour. It's not a cliché to suggest that the 14,000 Twin Cities fans could have seen the beginning of the end of Van Halen. Nor is it too trite to suggest that, if true, the band appeared ready to go out on a high note.

OK, so singer David Lee Roth had trouble hitting his high notes. He missed plenty of low and in-between notes, too.

It's hard to say exactly what was going on with ol' Diamond Dave. On one hand, he lazily sang and scatted his way through some songs such as "You Really Got Me" as if he just didn't care -- and he even skipped an entire verse in "Ain't Talking 'Bout Love" near the end of the two-hour set. But he fully invested himself with his usual showman antics throughout the concert, and he actually sounded pretty decent singing more challenging parts in "Panama" and "Oh, Pretty Woman." He sounded winded late in the show, but then he would pull off one of his famous high kicks or sassy-pants dance moves and not look anywhere near his 57 years.

Whatever his problem, Roth's vocal shortcomings were bad enough to perhaps be the true culprit in the tour cancellation, instead of the rumored infighting (the band members remain mum on the matter, and were all-smiles and chummy to each other on stage). His singing wasn't bad enough to derail Saturday's concert, though.

Dave's cocky, hammy character and on-stage antics were always as important to the band as his vocal parts. Those qualities were certainly intact Saturday.

"How old am I?" Roth interjected into "Hot for Teacher." "I made my first sex tape in 1982, that's how!"

The rest of the band sounded as virile as it did in 1982. Guitarist Eddie Van Halen has visibly and audibly bounced back from years of battling alcoholism and cancer. His "Eruption"-fueled solo just before the finale of "Jump" was leaps and bounds better than his last one at Xcel Center in 2004 (the final tour with Sammy Hagar and original bassist Michael Anthony). Eddie's brother Alex was as forceful as ever on drums, too, although his solo weirdly sounded like a Gloria Estefan jam.

Perhaps the most impressive Van Halen of the night was 21-year-old replacement bassist Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie's son, who understandably looked tentative on his first tour in 2007. Lil' Wolfie had a much bigger presence this time, especially during some of the well-lit songs off the new "A Different Kind of Truth" album, including "Tattoo" and "She's the Woman."

Whatever you thought of the new kid or Roth's vocal dilemma, you have to hand it to Van Halen for sticking to its core-four format -- no backup singers nor hired-gun musicians, augmentations that even the Who, Stones and Eagles all rely on nowadays. Too bad the Van Halen guys just can't seem to get along like those contentious bands somehow do.

Saturday's concert featured the unlikeliest of openers: '70s-'80s R&B/funk stars Kool & the Gang, who played lively renditions of "Celebration," "Get Down on It" and "Ladies Night." Their inclusion on the tour made perfect sense in the end. Even the most hateful headlining band would have been forced into a good mood at the site of an arena full of beer-guzzling, middle- to senior-age blue-collar rock fans dancing to those ubiquitous hits.

See Van Halen's set list at startribune.com/artcetera

chrisr@startribune.com • 612-673-4658 • Twitter: @ChrisRstrib
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• NATEDOG001976
                          Veteran
                          • Apr 2004

Yeah, Could of been. I was in the upper deck under a overhang, sounded shitty up there.
                          http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...19yc8872wu.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5...0269il5.th.jpg

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern - dude - you sounded cool as a cucumber - totally relaxed and spoke with authority - must say I was a bit surprised but you sounded really at ease - super cool-like.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra - nate, you are the fucking attention whore of the day and you DESERVE it

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise - BTW, bravo NATE! Soon Dave will mention the Army by himself!

Originally posted by franksters Have you heard Nate properly, We now moved up to an ''Organisation'' Awesome man!!
                          Roth army....more than an army....it's a gr8 Organization!!

Nate, so cool. I'm listening to the Dallas feed, so it'll be coming up in a while. Can't wait!

Comment

• Northern Girl
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by vaijuju

That was a great moment! Great way to start the show...
                            Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• SNIPER
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jun 2004

That was a great moment! Great way to start the show...
                              Yup!! Right after the killer jam.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
                                Yeah, Could of been. I was in the upper deck under a overhang, sounded shitty up there.
                                A guy I know was up high and said Daves vocals were muddy up there. That place is known for good sound though. On the floor was clear as hell. Loved the mix.
                                Last edited by 78/84 guy; 05-20-2012, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...