Thread: Official 5/5 Tacoma Meetup/Review Thread

sometimes I
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillsNSpills View Post
    Thanks for all the work in putting these clips up EVERYONE!

It's really indescribable to see these guys firing on all cylinders.
    There's nothing like this band and the way they bring it.
    You are so welcome! I feel exactly like you, Thrills!! your words say it perfectly. thanks!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The mighty VH are getting better and better as time goes by ..........I saw them and was amazed on March 15.... Imagine NOW!!!
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Fools, I Live With Fools
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    The mighty VH are getting better and better as time goes by ..........I saw them and was amazed on March 15.... Imagine NOW!!!

Coming To A City Near You (minus the douche with the big white forehead)! VH 2012!

Hey psycho, please get out of my Van Halen T-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just met my first real live person that saw the show last night at a gas station in the middle of nowhere. Had his VH shirt on. We bullshited for a few. He said it was an amazing show. Well duh. Lol

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i-d-o neighbour...... us CVH Fans always bullshit at first to know if your not a Vinagar fan.. lol!!!!!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    The info on embedding youtube videos here was the LONG version. See the icons right above the space where you are typing replies? 5th icon from the right looks like a couple of frames of a film strip (just to the left of the white icon that looks like a comic dialogue balloon).

Just click on that icon. A space will appear, and you copy and past the URL into that space of the youtube video you want to embed.

Hit ok - done.

Can't wait to check out some of these vids, but it will be a few days. Am borrowing a fambly DSL connection to download all the vids from the Gnashville show....so far have everything up to Beautiful Girls.....by Wednesday or so I should have everything, then it will be time to start editing.

So....when I get done downloading, I will check out this Unchained vid. Sounds like it was a kickass performance.

But I would expect nothing less from the Mighty Van Halen!
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-06-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    First post here after peeping in on the army for longer than my join date says. Maybe last night is getting me to fall out of the closet. Girlfriend and I were second row dead center and I'm still buzzing over the shit I saw. First time ever seeing sound check - shit talked about wolf needing piped in help proved to be total bullshit. Nothing about the show disappointed (maybe the best buy logo next to the album cover getting blasted on the big screen unless i hallucinated but nothing on stage). I somehow managed a couple good shots I'd like to share if I can figure it out. After watching a drunk guy fall off the balcony into some bushes on the way out of the dome (that I did not hallucinate and have photos of) my girl and I dropped into some bar called reds where I put away 5-6 jack and cokes to make sure I'd sleep and met a handful of fellow halen fans. One noticed the Roth n roll shirt I was rocking and turned out to be no other than Mr EJ Kruske (noodles) who was one of the coolest cats we met that evening. Couldn't talk my lady into dropping into the strip club next to the travellodge for a night cap but all in all an epic evening. I'll try to drop a couple pics (at least of the fall guy) if I can manage...

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Right on, man! Congrats on your first post, and welcome to the Diamond David Lee Roth Army!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    The info on embedding youtube videos here was the LONG version. See the icons right above the space where you are typing replies? 5th icon from the right looks like a couple of frames of a film strip (just to the left of the white icon that looks like a comic dialogue balloon).

Just click on that icon. A space will appear, and you copy and past the URL into that space of the youtube video you want to embed
    Hit ok - done.

Can't wait to check out some of these vids, but it will be a few days. Am borrowing a fambly DSL connection to download all the vids from the Gnashville show....so far have everything up to Beautiful Girls.....by Wednesday or so I should have everything, then it will be time to start editing.

So....when I get done downloading, I will check out this Unchained vid. Sounds like it was a kickass performance.

But I would expect nothing less from the Mighty Van Halen!
    Hey thanks for the info! I was given the extended directions so that's all I knew :-)
    Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
    I just met my first real live person that saw the show last night at a gas station in the middle of nowhere. Had his VH shirt on. We bullshited for a few. He said it was an amazing show. Well duh. Lol
    It's a small world eh??

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So,Was There A Meet-Up Before The Show?
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kevdoggy View Post
    First post here after peeping in on the army for longer than my join date says. Maybe last night is getting me to fall out of the closet. Girlfriend and I were second row dead center and I'm still buzzing over the shit I saw. First time ever seeing sound check - shit talked about wolf needing piped in help proved to be total bullshit. Nothing about the show disappointed (maybe the best buy logo next to the album cover getting blasted on the big screen unless i hallucinated but nothing on stage). I somehow managed a couple good shots I'd like to share if I can figure it out. After watching a drunk guy fall off the balcony into some bushes on the way out of the dome (that I did not hallucinate and have photos of) my girl and I dropped into some bar called reds where I put away 5-6 jack and cokes to make sure I'd sleep and met a handful of fellow halen fans. One noticed the Roth n roll shirt I was rocking and turned out to be no other than Mr EJ Kruske (noodles) who was one of the coolest cats we met that evening. Couldn't talk my lady into dropping into the strip club next to the travellodge for a night cap but all in all an epic evening. I'll try to drop a couple pics (at least of the fall guy) if I can manage...
    damn Kev, 2nd row center on an "on" night. That's pretty huge.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    Is it just me or are these guys fucking ON?
    It is definitely not just you ... they WERE on. I've been to many VH shows over the years, and this was by far the "tightest" I have ever seen the band. Dave was on his game as well. At one point, Dave even mentioned that it was one of their better nights. I don't remember the exact quote, but he compared it to NASCAR and said something like "You never know what you're going to get... you could win the race or it could be a fucking 9-car pileup... that's the beauty of Van Halen!!"

One other thing worthy of mention is that virtually EVERYBODY was standing for the whole show. Generally speaking, in my experience Seattle concertgoers tend to be subdued, quiet, folks who sit down for long stretches of shows. That did not happen on Saturday. It was a nonstop party from start to finish.
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I had never been to the Tacoma Dome and that place is a trip. At sound check they were saying they could count 16 echos off the base drum and that the first was coming back at them harder than they were sending it out. Eddie was tripping out about it almost as hard as the idea of a property made out of burgers.

I've heard reviews about how Dave doesn't show off as many high kicks these days but what about him pulling off the splits? Pretty sure he's getting close to beating out the competition on how late in the years you're able to pull that off. Just saying.

Oh, and one of a number of classic lines caught from that night - He's eye balling this twenty something party girl standing in front waving at him all night & he says something like 'I'm old enough to be your father. I actually could be your father. This isn't the first time i've been through this town honey' (classic)

sometimes I
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Starts out a little shaky-crazy, hang in there...

Thanks, everyone. Great thread for an AMAZING SHOW... please check out my channel for more vids.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Jump sucks...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

sometimes I
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Last edited by Noodles; 05-08-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Noodles...

Just post the embed code, nothing more...

sometimes I
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gotcha. Thank you very much, Elvis!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anytime...

And welcome to the hottest place on the net...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post

Starts out a little shaky-crazy, hang in there...

Thanks, everyone. Great thread for an AMAZING SHOW... please check out my channel for more vids.
    Have we seen Dave and Alex hug on this tour?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Has this been posted ??

Van Halen delivers with Diamond Dave in Tacoma

There’s never a dull moment to be had when David Lee Roth is around.

That seemed to be the running theme throughout Van Halen’s rocking Tacoma Dome set Saturday night as the band blazed through 22 songs in two hours during an electrifying and entertaining show.

Things were off to a rather rocky start from the beginning with “Unchained” when Diamond Dave mumbled and scatted his way through most of the first and second verses. It was the first song of the set and things only got more interesting, and more rocking, from there.

How interesting?

During ”Chinatown,” from the band’s latest record A Different Kind of Truth, DLR announced that he forgot the words to the song and smiled at Eddie Van Halen while asking him to quickly get to the chorus. When he wasn’t botching lyrics he was singing out of time with the music and between songs he was delivering witty banter, inviting the crowd to do shots with him at Sleater-Kinney Boulevard and notching up the charm factor with his bright, flashy smile. He didn’t hit the high register marks he used to from the band’s early days but still managed to entertain with some rather spry dance moves — or at least spry for a 57-year-old rock star who has seen better days.

But it didn’t really matter how good or bad Roth’s singing and showmanship was Saturday because the near-capacity crowd came to party with Van Halen and Van Halen delivered the goods as VH version 4.0 could do no wrong in the eyes of the adoring crowd.

Eddie Van Halen performed an astonishing 10-minute guitar solo near the end of the set which included one of the greatest instrumental rock songs ever recorded, “Eruption.” He once again proved that he belongs in the pantheon on guitar Gods. He also once again proved that he’s the talent and Diamond Dave is the show.

Alex Van Halen’s drum into to “Hot For Teacher” was as powerful live as on record and remains unparalleled as the greatest drum intro to any rock song.

Wolfgang Van Halen didn’t get a bass solo but he filled in admirably for former member Michael Anthony and it was fun to see the father-son moments when Eddie and Wolfgang smiled and played together.

Seeing the late-era Van Halen of 2012 was quite a contrast to when I saw the late-era Van Hagar. When Sammy Hagar was fronting the band the group was rather jovial, signing autographs throughout the show, and the band members genuinely seemed to enjoy one another’s company. With Roth at the helm it was less of an intimate stadium affair (if such a thing exists) and more of a big-time rock show where egos were put aside for the sake of the almighty dollar, which wasn’t necessarily a bad thing since Roth knew the crowd came for a show and he made sure everyone left feeling like they were thoroughly entertained. Although I could’ve done without the massive Best Buy ad that popped up on the giant video screen mid-song that let the crowd know they could buy A Different Kind of Truth at the electronics retail giant.

Of course with DLR as their frontman the band played only early Van Halen material so there was no “Poundcake” or “Right Now” or other songs from later in the band’s career when Sammy Hagar fronted the group which was a real treat for all the old school VH fans. While the hiccups in the show provided by Roth were noticeable they were also relatively minor and didn’t prevent songs like “Somebody Get Me A Doctor,” “Beautiful Girls,” “Panama” and “Dance the Night Away” from sounding massive and for the most part well executed.

Sure Diamond Dave was more or less all over the place but he didn’t ruin the show at all. Instead he made things more unpredictable and a lot more entertaining than if it was just a straight-up rock show with the Van Halens and Diamond Dave simply going through the motions. The show seemed bound by an imaginary unspoken contract between both the three other band members and DLR that guaranteed a good time.

What’s the contract state? To steal a phrase from Donald Rumsfeld, you go on stage with the David Lee Roth you have, not the David Lee Roth you might want.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    Have we seen Dave and Alex hug on this tour?
    no...my thoughts exactly
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    no...my thoughts exactly
    don`t think I wanna start something here but its the first time that I notice it on the above Jump vids and I think it was an awkward moment right after Dave and Ed hug...I think Dave and Alex looked at each other and then both agreed to go their own way...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They hate each other...

What else is new ??

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    They hate each other...

What else is new ??
    that they don't even manage to fake a hug...

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    man, i thought they were gonna pipe hugs in for this tour
    fuck your fucking framing

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post
    It is definitely not just you ... they WERE on. I've been to many VH shows over the years, and this was by far the "tightest" I have ever seen the band. Dave was on his game as well. At one point, Dave even mentioned that it was one of their better nights. I don't remember the exact quote, but he compared it to NASCAR and said something like "You never know what you're going to get... you could win the race or it could be a fucking 9-car pileup... that's the beauty of Van Halen!!"

Fucking Dave, man, he just cracks me the fuck up!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post
    One other thing worthy of mention is that virtually EVERYBODY was standing for the whole show. Generally speaking, in my experience Seattle concertgoers tend to be subdued, quiet, folks who sit down for long stretches of shows. That did not happen on Saturday. It was a nonstop party from start to finish.
    That is what creeped me out in Gnashville....check out some of the video where you can see the floor.....everybody SAT for pretty much the entire show!

Fucking ridiculous....

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Em' Up! View Post
    Hey thanks for the info! I was given the extended directions so that's all I knew :-)
    No worries!

Thread Information