Thread: Official 4/21 Greensboro Meetup/Review Thread

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2023 @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    This completely sucks...rainy, 40 degrees and its Monday..2 days after seeing the Mighty Van Halen..what makes it worse I just hit Subway for lunch and they are playing HFT on the radio..*sigh*
    Great reads Lou and Carmine..great to meet you guys..even tho I was waiting for Carmine to jump the table thinking I snagged his VH lighter..lmao..sorry dude..I wouldnt do that to ya..still blown away you 3 made that trip..hope the great show made up for the feeble crowd..." owns shit"..lol..that was great,,I am normally pretty damn quiet actually..just ready for a great night..
    lmao...you were on a mission, bro...great meeting you as well...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    I think 4 is too young bro, even considering just the sound.... With earplugs, maybe....
    I dunno...back in the day my sister and I took my niece to a Whitesnake show at 5 (with earplugs, of course) and she LOVED it...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-25-2019 @ 12:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Mine is 8. She loves music. She is into VH among others. She always is asking for us to take her to a concert and I too am torn. It is usually quite easy though b/c she goes to bed way before 11 so unless it is a wkd show, it is not even a consideration.

I still think 8 is a bit young...even with earplugs. If I want to ruin my hearing that is my choice...But, I do waiver whether to take her or not. In your case honestly I would say 4 is too young.

Also, unless you are really going to splurge for super close tix, it may not be worth it. Kids are also visual and would like to see the instruments played and singer singing close up...Of course if this was their last tour, I would be disappointed I did not take her..considering in High School I was not 'allowed' to see them in the 80's-parents saying I was too young. Then look what happened-had to wait years!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post
    I agree. The only reason I am asking is because my 4-year-old daughter LOVES Van Halen and frankly I think she would have more fun at the show than my wife, who is not really a fan. Personally, I think 4 years old is probably too young for a show of this type but I'm just curious about how others see it.

4. Thanked Zempi for this KICKASS post:

Guitar Shark (04-23-2012)

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-25-2019 @ 12:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I thought maybe 9ish-10..not sure though...I have to look again..

Yep. That girl in the video was probably what... 7 or 8?

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-20-2023 @ 05:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I took my 7yo son to see Gov't Mule, and we ended up leaving after two songs. He couldn't see, couldn't keep the ear plugs in, and was getting lost in the shuffle. I could not enjoy the show, nor could he. That's my only experience. I've asked him, now 11, if he wants to see Van Halen and he does not. He's really scared of the loud. Takes after his mom.

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 08:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I would first really make sure they're interested in seeing the show, and not basically dragging them there because Daddy wants you to see his favorite group...

As Poj and I were talking about after the show, we saw kids, with expensive floor seats, sitting down and texting while everyone around them was on their feet the whole show....

Secondly, you need to be aware of just how loud the show is.... To us, it's a great sound, but to a kid, that can be too much....
    How loud was it? I've heard the shows are loud, not loud, sort of loud. I WANT FEEL IT IN MY BONES LOUD!...without doing any real bodily damage of course.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Its not as loud as last tour imo..I remember my brain rattled at points in 07,,not at all this year

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    Dave is quickly learning to endear himself to the audience with cool stuff like this ---- you aint gonna win 'em over with blower rants!

wow...this girl is as much of an icon as Sir Warf..."this one's for you honey"...if some guy wants to date her one day she will say: "David Lee Roth sang Dance the Night Away for me...so give your best shot now, motherfucker!"

10. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

NIN1211 (04-23-2012)

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-31-2018 @ 06:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

My son first saw Roth solo in Orlando at the Hard Rock when he was 5. He impressed the hell out of the section by singing along to almost all of it. Some guy taught him the devil horns that night.
    He has since seen VH at 7 and 11 years old.

Earplugs all 3 times. But VA's right, the kid has to be into it.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by private parts View Post
    How loud was it? I've heard the shows are loud, not loud, sort of loud. I WANT FEEL IT IN MY BONES LOUD!...without doing any real bodily damage of course.
    Like we talked about at Fat Pig's, it really depends on where you are in relation to the speakers....

In '07, we were in the lower bowl, I didn't think it was as loud as this time....

This time, fuck, we were right in line with Eddie, 14 rows back on the floor.... That shit was LOUD....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Well...my son is ten...I wouldn't have taken him before...

He was flat out pissed that he didn't get to come to this show...so he's going to the next. But when I told him how loud it was...he was freaked out a bit...until I showed him the vid.

I was 13...and it was too fucking late...

And I love my kid...but no fucking way in hell I'm leaving the show early...and no fucking way in hell they are going to be fucking texting during the fucking show...

14. Thanked POJO_Risin for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (04-23-2012)

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Hot for Teacher...

16. 3 users say thank you to POJO_Risin for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (04-24-2012),NIN1211 (04-23-2012),SNIPER (04-23-2012)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-23-2015 @ 07:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

That is great. Out of curiosity, for those of you with kids - how old would your kid have to be before you would consider taking them to a VH show?
    I would take all three of my girls now for sure! They are 8, 11, 14. My oldest took in her first big concert (Def Leppard at 7). She LOVES the music. My youngest went and saw her step dad's gig when she was about 5. It was pretty loud for her, but she dealt. I know for a fact, all three of them will be pissed off beyond belief if they miss seeing Van Halen. These girls are the next generation of Van Halen, and I have NO problem supporting their desires to go see it!

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Light Em' Up! View Post
    I would take all three of my girls now for sure! They are 8, 11, 14. My oldest took in her first big concert (Def Leppard at 7). She LOVES the music. My youngest went and saw her step dad's gig when she was about 5. It was pretty loud for her, but she dealt. I know for a fact, all three of them will be pissed off beyond belief if they miss seeing Van Halen. These girls are the next generation of Van Halen, and I have NO problem supporting their desires to go see it!
    Plus they all love ADKOT!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
    Plus they all love ADKOT!
    It's funny that in our house, all of us have our "favorites", but non of us have the same favorites. I love that the girls love Van Halen like we do. The oldest daughter's walls are covered with "vintage" Van Halen posters...reminds me of myself as a teen....guess this just proves that as parents we have done something right :-)

20. Thanked Light Em' Up! for this KICKASS post:

Momshell (04-23-2012)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loucap81 View Post
    Alright guys I couldn't resist anymore. Most of you can guess who I am. Carmine urged me to come back this morning and that's what pushed me to finally break the seven and a half year absence from this place. This is the username I use for most websites and I intend it to be symbolic of a slate wiped clean here. Last time I posted here I was 23. Now I'm 31. I'll defy anyone who says they were the same person at both of those ages. I'm not interested in arguing, personal attacks, politics, any thread derailment shit. All I want to do anymore is celebrate the mighty Van Halen. If there's nothing I can do or say that will convince you I'm anything but an asshole that's fine, just please don't derail the thread and ruin it for everyone else. I'm not taking the bait either.

So with that out of the way I'd like to say that the euphoria and good times of this outing have not yet worn off yet. Which is really good to combat a dreary, cold Monday morning here. As you know I took the road trip down to Greensboro, my first time there. I liked the fact that the Coliseum is one of the remaining buildings in this country that VH played 30 years ago, so I tried to absorb that and pretend I was alive and was seeing a concert in that era.

Met up with Carmine and Ginny as I had a month prior in Atlantic City. The three of us went on over to Fat Dog's which is conveniently located across the street from a sex shop and an African braiding salon, you know in case you need to take care of those things before the show. Carmine already laid out who showed up. I hadn't met any of you guys before (though I was emailing Sparkie prior to the show) and I just want to thank you all for a great time. So Carmine, Ginny, Pojo, Va Beach, Fairwrning, SparkieD & Tiki Tom, all of you were great and I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out, drinking Yuenglings and eating those strange, not-so-Teriyaki wings

Also two more Roth Army members really wanted to carpool with me but at the last minute had some unfortunate circumstances that prevented them from going. So Zempi and VanHalener, I made it clear to everyone that you wanted to be there and we all felt bad you couldn't make it person, though you were there in spirit. I did audio record the entire show and put it up on Dime, and it's dedicated to you guys.

Ended up buying a fourth row seat on Eddie's side before the show at the box office. $99.50 done, would have paid $15 more had I bought it on Ticketmaster. Perfectly good seat if you don't want to pay for the floor. This was a terrific show, probably the best of the seven I've seen on this tour. Everyone was firing on all cylinders, including Dave. As soon as he and Eddie did an improvised jam during "Unchained," I felt this could be a special night. Dave's voice sounded clean and powerful, as good as he was in 2007-08 when he was the one holding that tour together. It would have been nice to get a setlist change (this was now the fourth night in a row doing the same setlist), but the performance was so precise, Dave was very much on top of his game and chock full of humorous Rothisms, I can't complain. Others have already commented about "Dance the Night Away" and it was really heartwarming. "Women in Love" was bizarre with the rant but whatever. One song that I don't think got enough attention was "Everybody Wants Some!!" The Rothisms in that were hilarious with the "Oh yeah" thing in the beginning, the "thunder and lightning" thing and then when Dave talked about 1982 and how good he looked. I thought the interaction between Dave and Ed was plentiful and genuine. They truly felt like a real band. As others said it was hot as hell in there but if Dave sings like THAT every night I'll gladly put up with it.

After the show Carmine and Ginny were understandably exhausted and went back to the hotel. The rest of us recovened for a half hour at Fat Dog's to put a little bowtie on great night. I had a shitty drive home in rain and traffic but couldn't care less. I can't get enough of VH and these meetups and I'm glad the good times will keep coming through the summer months. I'm already excited about Cleveland.
    Hey Lou! Just want to say "thanks" for all the updates that you have been providing for the shows. I am new to the Army, so I don't know about the past, but am glad you are here to partake in all of the glory surrounding the return of the Might Van Halen....

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    09-27-2013 @ 11:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Hey my pleasure. It's interesting, I heard that the Army got a LOT of new people like you, Momshell, etc. at the start of this year. In a way I also consider myself new here given all the changes this place has gone through since its inception over a decade ago. I mean there are familiar names for sure but also a lot that I don't recognize. It's all good and I'm all about moving forward just as =VH= are.

23. 2 users say thank you to loucap81 for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (04-23-2012),Light Em' Up! (04-23-2012)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Its not as loud as last tour imo..I remember my brain rattled at points in 07,,not at all this year
    in '07 we were on the floor in Montreal (12th row?) and i didn't think it was that loud. Lou's recording turned out way better than i thought it would, i thought we were going to get pummeled down there but it wasn't bad.

this year, lower bowl on Wolf's side wasn't bad in Buffalo. up in the rafters in Toronto i probably could have heard myself fart.

The Good,The Bad,&TheUgly
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2016 @ 01:10 AM
    Status
    Thanks

5. And last, but certainly not least, and this is from Dave, he LOVES the passion you fuckers bring !!
    Dammit, that's AWESOME!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-28-2020 @ 03:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm really torn about my boys coming to a show. I told them if they play Jones Beach maybe, since the shows there seem a little more mellow in the outdoors. My youngest is 4, so he's definitely too young, although he always requests VH by name in the car. His favorite for years has been Sunday Afternoon in the Park - no idea why?! He also requests HAIL, Unchained, and RWTD. My middle one is 7 and I think he wants to go - he's been 'playing' ATBL on his electric guitar since he's 4, and had a VH cake and themed (EVH stripes) cupcakes for his 5th birthday. That one's gonna be a rockstar, I just know it. But I don't think he'll go without his older brother, my almost-9 year old who likes VH (listens to Little Guitars on his ipod all the time) but is super cautious (1st born) and doesn't want to go to a show. Now that I saw Dave's reaction to that little girl, I might have to bribe one of my boys to come and sit in front with me so I can get Dave's attention! Is that wrong?!

27. 2 users say thank you to Momshell for this KICKASS post:

katina (04-23-2012),Zempi (04-23-2012)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-28-2020 @ 03:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loucap81 View Post
    Hey my pleasure. It's interesting, I heard that the Army got a LOT of new people like you, Momshell, etc. at the start of this year. In a way I also consider myself new here given all the changes this place has gone through since its inception over a decade ago. I mean there are familiar names for sure but also a lot that I don't recognize. It's all good and I'm all about moving forward just as =VH= are.
    Hey - it was great meeting you in AC and I know I speak for others as well in thanking you for your texts and updates throughout. Glad to have you back and looking forward to sharing our continued VH good fortunes 'moving forward'

29. Thanked Momshell for this KICKASS post:

Zempi (04-23-2012)

The Good,The Bad,&TheUgly
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2016 @ 01:10 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Thank you EVERYONE for the updates on the shows, the meetups, the reviews, everything!!! You guys are GREAT!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Momshell View Post
    Now that I saw Dave's reaction to that little girl, I might have to bribe one of my boys to come and sit in front with me so I can get Dave's attention! Is that wrong?!
    Wrong? NO, very understandable.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2018 @ 08:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I've been enjoying all the youtube clips from the tour but they seem inundated from day one by this "Davesuckslive" shithead. Guy is a troll of the worst fuckin' kind. For almost every video and for every positive comment left he (or she) puts up triple the negative dissing Dave or the Army. He joined in Feb and all he has done is bash VH/Dave. Motherfucker.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by perrin29 View Post
    I've been enjoying all the youtube clips from the tour but they seem inundated from day one by this "Davesuckslive" shithead. Guy is a troll of the worst fuckin' kind. For almost every video and for every positive comment left he (or she) puts up triple the negative dissing Dave or the Army. He joined in Feb and all he has done is bash VH/Dave. Motherfucker.
    Perhaps you should put up a link so that this dude can receive a nice welcome to the neighborhood, Roth Army style

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by perrin29 View Post
    Hmmm....this DB sounds familiar.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Perhaps you should put up a link so that this dude can receive a nice welcome to the neighborhood, Roth Army style

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pretty sure this is the same DB that Sniper and I were going rounds with on FB....I'm guessing this is Jeremy Mollison aka "Molly". Judging by the comments I have read on YouTube, this sounds like the same MO he had on FB. Talked about Dave live, and about all the album stats with Spammy. Ended up blocking his ass on FB after he called me a "cunt and hore"...yes, he can't spell either....you are right, the DB is a total troll of the worst kind.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He was invited by Sniper and I multiple times, however, he didn't have the balls to man up and come play over here....just spread his cancer all over the FB VH pages, and of course on Spammy's page

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pretty sure this is the same DB that Sniper and I were going rounds with on FB....I'm guessing this is Jeremy Mollison aka "Molly". Judging by the comments I have read on YouTube, this sounds like the same MO he had on FB. Talked about Dave live, and about all the album stats with Spammy. Ended up blocking his ass on FB after he called me a "cunt and hore"...yes, he can't spell either....you are right, the DB is a total troll of the worst kind.
    Yep, this is his work for sure.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He was invited by Sniper and I multiple times, however, he didn't have the balls to man up and come play over here....just spread his cancer all over the FB VH pages, and of course on Spammy's page
    Ok, so he's one of those dipshits. Ah, fuck him then. If he's not got balls big enough to come over here and play then he's a bitch. I mean, if he really loves Sammy he should come over and try to convince us all. After all, we're such a tolerant, open-minded bunch of guys and gals

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ok, so he's one of those dipshits. Ah, fuck him then. If he's not got balls big enough to come over here and play then he's a bitch. I mean, if he really loves Sammy he should come over and try to convince us all. After all, we're such a tolerant, open-minded bunch of guys and gals
    That's kind of why we tried having him come on over here....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

That is great. Out of curiosity, for those of you with kids - how old would your kid have to be before you would consider taking them to a VH show?

Although my personal opinion is that any kid under age 7 probably shouldnt go to a VH show --- I say take any kid older than that who shows a real interest in the band (not just because Daddy or Mommy likes VH).

I mean shit --- you gotta think about the age of Dave, Ed, and Alex and seriously consider this might the LAST tour ever. Would you want your kids to miss out seeing the greatest rock band that ever existed ?? I mean for fuck's sake ---- they can spend one night out with the parents enjoying a live show instead of staying home and video gaming or Facebooking, right ??

Just imagine back in 1980 if you were 9 or 10 and your parents debated if you should go see Led Zeppelin ---- you're talking about missing out on a memory of a lifetime !!

Last edited by TJMKID; 04-23-2012 at 11:03 PM.

42. Thanked TJMKID for this KICKASS post:

Light Em' Up! (04-23-2012)

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Naw, we don't need that scum bag over here. Fuck him anyway.

44. Thanked SNIPER for this KICKASS post:

NIN1211 (04-24-2012)

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    Although my personal opinion is that any kid under age 7 probably shouldnt go to a VH show --- I say take any kid older than that who shows a real interest in the band (not just because Daddy or Mommy likes VH).

I mean shit --- you gotta think about the age of Dave, Ed, and Alex and seriously consider this might the LAST tour ever. Would you want your kids to miss out seeing the greatest rock band that ever existed ?? I mean for fuck's sake ---- they can spend one night out with the parents enjoying a live show instead of staying home and video gaming or Facebooking, right ??

Just imagine back in 1979 if you were 9 or 10 and your parents debated if you should go see Led Zeppelin at MSG ---- you're talking about missing out on a memory of a lifetime !!

Well said.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I totally agree with TJMKID. My 11 year old daughter wants to go so bad it ain't funny. But she has school the next day, and end of grade testing "boot camp". So I can't keep her out til 12 or 1 in the morning. But IF I took her to a show, I can guaran-damn-tee you her cell phone, ipod and ipad would be left in the car. I don't even allow texting in the grocery store - much less at a Van Halen worship service!!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't even allow texting in the grocery store - much less at a Van Halen worship service!!!
    LMFAO!!! That's awesome!!!

I probably wouldn't get the "mom of the year" award for this, however, since my girls all carry 4.0 GPA's, I'd be okay with them being "sick" the day after a Van Halen worship service...

48. Thanked Light Em' Up! for this KICKASS post:

damngoodtimes (04-24-2012)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

LMFAO!!! That's awesome!!!

I probably wouldn't get the "mom of the year" award for this, however, since my girls all carry 4.0 GPA's, I'd be okay with them being "sick" the day after a Van Halen worship service...
    Hey, I can dig it. And if she was older, hell, I'd let it slide. BTW, if you know anybody relatively close to Charlotte that's a regular here, I'm offering up a FREE floor seat to Wednesday night's show. I just posted over in the 04/25 Charlotte thread that I'll even overnight the ticket to whomever wants it - just as long as they're a regular here and they intend to use it - and I'll eat the cost of the overnight fee.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hey, I can dig it. And if she was older, hell, I'd let it slide. BTW, if you know anybody relatively close to Charlotte that's a regular here, I'm offering up a FREE floor seat to Wednesday night's show. I just posted over in the 04/25 Charlotte thread that I'll even overnight the ticket to whomever wants it - just as long as they're a regular here and they intend to use it - and I'll eat the cost of the overnight fee.
    The youngest is 8 and I'd let it go :-)
    I'm on the westcoast, so don't know anybody in that area...sure as shit wish I was! We are still awaiting dates for this neck of the woods...in the meantime, we enjoy EVERY VH show here....

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well shit. I really want to give this ticket to one of the members here. I swear, I never thought I'd be in the position to: A - Have a spare ticket to a Van Fucking Halen show; and B - not be able to find one taker on this website. Ah, the hell with it I'll just sell the damn thing on the street corner.

Thread Information