Thread: Official 4/14 Tampa Meetup/Review Thread

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Romeo - AWESOME QUALITY!
    Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    SGMAD

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    HAIL

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
    There's the post I've known was coming!

It's so hard not to go to more shows when they're still on tour...regardless of how many shows you've seen thus far...

This is how you end up on a plane...

or have plans to drive from Northern NY State to frikkin Greensboro, NC on Friday

damn band...
    Unfortunately I'm kidding! But good for you - I wish my family would let me do that!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Momshell View Post
    Unfortunately I'm kidding! But good for you - I wish my family would let me do that!
    Well, I did have to pay off my mother to watch my kids and my dog...again...lol....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
    Well, I did have to pay off my mother to watch my kids and my dog...again...lol....
    Does she wanna take 3 more kids?!

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    better Jump
    I could take it or leave it with Jump in the set - but that is definitely one of Dave's best vocal performances of that song on this tour. He sang the first couple of verses a little high, but then he seemed to realize what he was doing and reigned it in. Seemed like he was having a blast at this show!
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/daves-s...at-the/1225206

Dave's schtick, Eddie's brilliance endure as Van Halen cranks it up at the Tampa Bay Times Forum

By Sean Daly, Times Pop Music Critic
    In Print: Sunday, April 15, 2012

TAMPA — For great swaths of 42-year-old white dudes, there is no greater on-again bromance than that of Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth. So when VH's lead guitarist and lead con man grinned at each other during opener Unchained at the Tampa Bay Times Forum Saturday, 11,903 fans collectively swooned as if the rockers were cuddling on the bow of the Titanic.

Ah, dumb raucous metallic love. Ain't it grand? If this lineup of Van Halen isn't exactly the way the gods intended (Ed's kid Wolfie gamely took over Michael Anthony's bass lines and high harmonies), the quartet proved good enough, and original enough, for two hours of testosterrific pop-rock fireballs.

"How we doing so far?" Roth smirked five minutes in. The crowd roared, and lifted beers, and the mood wouldn't change. You got what you came for: that feel-good link to a time three decades ago when your jeans fit better and concert tees had two less Xs in front of the L.

• • •

After a 50-minute set by unlikely, but admittedly funktastic, openers Kool & the Gang (if your hips didn't hurt after Jungle Boogie, you were doing it wrong), VH casually, if loudly, sauntered onstage, vaguely creepy drummer Alex Van Halen starting things off behind the glowing skins like the Gordon Gekko of time-keeping.

Dressed like a Wild West hairdresser, Diamond Dave slid over dance-recital planks like a shoobie-doobie vaudeville clown. His annoyance level varied, but his vocals weren't as shoddy as feared. (Nice work on I'll Wait, DLR.) He'd exaggerate words rather than bother with high notes now and then, more carnival barker than carnal ringmaster.

But his new patter during Hot for Teacher — "I'm Mr. Roth, I'll be your substitute teacher"; "For our Spanish-speaking students, Panama is down the hall to the left and four songs from now" — was classic Dave. And he gave an altogether earnest talk about, of all things, his farm and his dogs before Ice Cream Man. Have we ever seen the real Roth before? Very cool, very unexpected.

Throughout, the noise was satisfying, and an IMAX-ian video screen helped sell the drama. Plus the boys didn't just come to cash a fat paycheck, although they certainly will. Runnin' With the Devil and Everybody Wants Some!! were given thorough workouts, and the new stuff from album A Different Kind of Truth sounded robust in a live setting, especially She's the Woman, a reworked tune from the old days. Some deeper album cuts — Hear About It Later is my fave VH tune — were dusted off, too.

• • •

Perhaps Eddie, reportedly much healthier than in years past, is so happy now because, in Roth's slow decline, he's become the absolute focal point of the group. His revolutionary tapping style has made him a hero to guitar wonks the world over, but the nerds have a point: At 57, he remains rock's ultimate virtuoso, merging blues and classical riffs and often sounding like 10 men.

I'd never complain about this job, but when you review Van Halen on deadline, it usually means you're cranking out wordplay when Roth & Co. clear the stage and let Eddie uncork his epic end-of-night solo. But this time, I stepped away from my computer in the press box, and just gawked at the speed, the tonal elegance. Darn the consequences: When greatness erupts, you need to stop and watch.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    I could take it or leave it with Jump in the set - but that is definitely one of Dave's best vocal performances of that song on this tour. He sang the first couple of verses a little high, but then he seemed to realize what he was doing and reigned it in. Seemed like he was having a blast at this show!
    It would be cool if the were to move Jump where YRGM is at, put YRGM in the place of ATBL and make ATBL the ending song.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yay - Dave's showing chest!! Next step.....no shirt!
    Might have to start looking at plane tickets if this continues!
    Please....no shirt!!!!

The plane ticket will be a little more expensive for me.....worthwhile

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
    Huh? Dave is 17? need a beer bro? hehe
    Ha! Once again, reading comprehension owns me!
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_lil View Post
    Women in love
    I'm a big fan of this song... mostly because of lyrical content and harmonies. I must say the harmonies were pretty freaking good.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_lil View Post
    Outta Love Again
    This was a big surprise of the night for me... Even bigger was the yellow and black striped Fender Strat he used for this song.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by katina View Post
    Please....no shirt!!!!

The plane ticket will be a little more expensive for me.....worthwhile

Warmer weather is coming ---- so maybe Dave will eventually come out onstage in just a neon orange Speedo ??

MILFs will go totally bat-shit crazy !!!

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Finally got the vid/pics from my budddies phone. unchained + eruption coming soon

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Dressed like a Wild West hairdresser, Diamond Dave slid over dance-recital planks like a shoobie-doobie vaudeville clown. His annoyance level varied, but his vocals weren't as shoddy as feared. (Nice work on I'll Wait, DLR.) He'd exaggerate words rather than bother with high notes now and then, more carnival barker than carnal ringmaster.

Is there really any dumber of a profession than "music reviewer guy" ??? Put down the thesaurus, you cumstain!

This ass clown needs to take a step up in his career and start flippin' burgers for a living.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    HAIL
    Just noticed VH World Tour on the screen, I haven't seen that before??? Does it mean something?
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Ron
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    Just noticed VH World Tour on the screen, I haven't seen that before??? Does it mean something?
    Would be great....................I'll cross my fingers...........!!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fingers xd
    fuck your fucking framing

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    it means you need glasses...they had it from the first show...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here you go! Unchained!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    it means you need glasses...they had it from the first show...
    ooops!!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ooops!!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave's getting back in shape again!

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    Dave's getting back in shape again!
    Was he not in shape already ?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, the 2012 Tampa show has come and gone.

Overall, a much better experience than the 2008 show, and the difference between the shows can be summed up in three words:

Eddie Van Halen.

The four new songs played at the Tampa date were Tattoo, She's The Woman, Chinatown and The Trouble With Never. The deep classic cuts were Hear About It Later, Women In Love, Outta Love Again and Somebody Get Me A Doctor. The rest of the tunes were the same standards/CVH greatest hits played at every other date on the tour so far.

Kool and the Gang sounded like an odd choice for an opener, but I must admit they did a fine job (turns out I knew quite a few more K & the G songs than I realized). I couldn't tell you the name of a single member of the band back in the day and how many original members were playing last night. Nevertheless, the Kool Entity had a substantial portion of the crowd on their feet.

Much like the last time around, Alex Van Halen did an excellent job.

As for the rest of the group, there were differences between these past two tours...for the most part, the differences were for the better.

Wolfgang's bass was actually audible at this show (the St. Pete Times Forum, located in Tampa - don't ask - has definitely been a mixed bag for me in terms of gigs and sound quality. Thankfully, the VH show this time around sounded good). The kid has become more than a novelty and is getting the job done, both on bass and backing vocals. In point of fact, the Van Halens onstage now were positively fucking COOKING last night. They turned in a well-rehearsed display of high energy rock...to the point where during Hot For Teacher I caught myself mumbling aloud...something along the lines of "holy FUCK this sounds as good as it ever did"...

Eddie Van Halen has got his mojo working for him again. His performance last night was pretty much everything his performance last time around wasn't. The guy was just nailing it all night long. Gone were the drunken wanking noodlings during the tunes that made 2008 a mildly unpleasurable experience to listen to. His coordination, timing and precision were on-fucking-point.

As for Dave...well...it was a different kind of truth. Fact remains that he is still the only frontman for Van Halen that ever mattered. Yes, he isn't as physically capable onstage as he once was. And I really don't have a problem with that. He's still as enthusiastic as he ever was. There were more than a few asides inbetween tunes that either fell flat or didn't make much in the way of humor or sense. Not such a big deal. Roth seemed content to slide around on his center-stage dance floor and say "wooo!" a lot...that's fine (although Uncle Dave DID visibly lose his footing once while sliding around to the point where he stumbled). One trait of his that kinda got a little annoying was a frequent tendency to use his mid-range yell (think of the voice used to bark out the verses in Outta Space) and shout out lyrics, doing so in tunes that really didn't benefit from this approach. Like, Pretty Woman isn't a tune that really requires this...and was far from the only one where this vocal strategy was applied. The real shame being when Roth simply SANG the tunes (Women In Love springs to mind), he sounded just fine. In addition, Roth slipped backward into a longtime trait of mush-mouthing lyrics, skipping verses, not singing choruses; things that seemed a part of the past when considering his highly disciplined, start-to-finish excellent performances of 2007/2008.

In short, great show. Small step forward for Wolf, leaps and fucking bounds for Eddie, a slight step backward for Dave (just needs to sing the tunes rather than yell them- not trying to be a dick, but it just sounded better when he did). Overall, a vast improvement over the previous tour, particularly in keeping the solo spots brief and focused.

Worth the money. Glad I went.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This review kinda sums up the whole tour to me so far. Spot on from what I have seen so far and I am pretty sure I have seen every video from every show if it is on You Tube.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Well, the 2012 Tampa show has come and gone.

Overall, a much better experience than the 2008 show, and the difference between the shows can be summed up in three words:

Eddie Van Halen.

The four new songs played at the Tampa date were Tattoo, She's The Woman, Chinatown and The Trouble With Never. The deep classic cuts were Hear About It Later, Women In Love, Outta Love Again and Somebody Get Me A Doctor. The rest of the tunes were the same standards/CVH greatest hits played at every other date on the tour so far.

Kool and the Gang sounded like an odd choice for an opener, but I must admit they did a fine job (turns out I knew quite a few more K & the G songs than I realized). I couldn't tell you the name of a single member of the band back in the day and how many original members were playing last night. Nevertheless, the Kool Entity had a substantial portion of the crowd on their feet.

Much like the last time around, Alex Van Halen did an excellent job.

As for the rest of the group, there were differences between these past two tours...for the most part, the differences were for the better.

Wolfgang's bass was actually audible at this show (the St. Pete Times Forum, located in Tampa - don't ask - has definitely been a mixed bag for me in terms of gigs and sound quality. Thankfully, the VH show this time around sounded good). The kid has become more than a novelty and is getting the job done, both on bass and backing vocals. In point of fact, the Van Halens onstage now were positively fucking COOKING last night. They turned in a well-rehearsed display of high energy rock...to the point where during Hot For Teacher I caught myself mumbling aloud...something along the lines of "holy FUCK this sounds as good as it ever did"...

Eddie Van Halen has got his mojo working for him again. His performance last night was pretty much everything his performance last time around wasn't. The guy was just nailing it all night long. Gone were the drunken wanking noodlings during the tunes that made 2008 a mildly unpleasurable experience to listen to. His coordination, timing and precision were on-fucking-point.

As for Dave...well...it was a different kind of truth. Fact remains that he is still the only frontman for Van Halen that ever mattered. Yes, he isn't as physically capable onstage as he once was. And I really don't have a problem with that. He's still as enthusiastic as he ever was. There were more than a few asides inbetween tunes that either fell flat or didn't make much in the way of humor or sense. Not such a big deal. Roth seemed content to slide around on his center-stage dance floor and say "wooo!" a lot...that's fine (although Uncle Dave DID visibly lose his footing once while sliding around to the point where he stumbled). One trait of his that kinda got a little annoying was a frequent tendency to use his mid-range yell (think of the voice used to bark out the verses in Outta Space) and shout out lyrics, doing so in tunes that really didn't benefit from this approach. Like, Pretty Woman isn't a tune that really requires this...and was far from the only one where this vocal strategy was applied. The real shame being when Roth simply SANG the tunes (Women In Love springs to mind), he sounded just fine. In addition, Roth slipped backward into a longtime trait of mush-mouthing lyrics, skipping verses, not singing choruses; things that seemed a part of the past when considering his highly disciplined, start-to-finish excellent performances of 2007/2008.

In short, great show. Small step forward for Wolf, leaps and fucking bounds for Eddie, a slight step backward for Dave (just needs to sing the tunes rather than yell them- not trying to be a dick, but it just sounded better when he did). Overall, a vast improvement over the previous tour, particularly in keeping the solo spots brief and focused.

Worth the money. Glad I went.
    Eugene, I wish I could be as detailed as you are in a review the day after the show, good work.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

I'm still perplexed what Dave is trying to accomplish vocally on some of these songs. Who is suggesting he sing in the higher register? Just makes no sense.

If he stays in his normal range ---- he fucking NAILS it ---- just like this:

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    I'm still perplexed what Dave is trying to accomplish vocally on some of these songs. Who is suggesting he sing in the higher register? Just makes no sense.

If he stays in his normal range ---- he fucking NAILS it
    I'm convinced that's the general opinion.
    When he stays in the lower register, his voice not only has a drop-dead-cool to it, but it actually accelerates, and he's in total command. Lately, this whole thing of screaming the lyrics like he has his dick caught in a vice is really starting to irritate even his most die-hard fans. I'm lost as to what he's trying to prove...
    The second I heard the intro to "Dance The Night Away" that's when I figured I'd go get a beer, 'cause I just couldn't bear to listen to the way he was going to 'sing' it.

Being one of his biggest fans....that's not an easy thing to have to admit.
    Let's all hope this is just a temporary situation and he figures this out....like the headset.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    I'm convinced that's the general opinion.
    When he stays in the lower register, his voice not only has a drop-dead-cool to it, but it actually accelerates, and he's in total command. Lately, this whole thing of screaming the lyrics like he has his dick caught in a vice is really starting to irritate even his most die-hard fans. I'm lost as to what he's trying to prove...
    The second I heard the intro to "Dance The Night Away" that's when I figured I'd go get a beer, 'cause I just couldn't bear to listen to the way he was going to 'sing' it.

Being one of his biggest fans....that's not an easy thing to have to admit.
    Let's all hope this is just a temporary situation and he figures this out....like the headset.

I'm starting to think Dave is "over-analyzing" some footage from the 2007-08 tour and trying to compensate. I thought he sounded great on the 2007-08 tour, but perhaps he got a vocal coach in the last couple years who suggested "Try the higher register" and Dave is being the eager student?

Someone with some real influence (like Eddie) needs to sit Dave down and have a chat. This tour could be totally smokin' if he just stays in his comfort zone and be the frontman we all know.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Man it's Monday morning and I'm STILL hungover.
    I agree with Terry like usual. The difference tonight was Eddie. Much better than last time here in Tampa. Nice and focused. The show was quick and well paced and just kept punching you until it was over. The crowd was awesome and I only sat down twice for a quick breather during Pretty Woman and I'll Wait. No one else sat down all night except for this fat bitch in front of me that got tired and left half-way through.

Hi-lights for me were Unchained when they just appear in front of you and start the destruction. So bad-ass. So glad they opened with that instead of YRGM. Night and day difference there.

Women in Love and Outta Love were also high points for me. They both sound pretty basic but when done right they are very effective. Glad I didn't miss this because it was worth the price. Not too many more parties like this for the humans.
    gnaw on it

fourthcoming
    I know I'm running the risk of sounding dicky, but God willing, there will be a second leg of the tour. And if there is a second leg....Van Halen....can we please lose Pretty woman, I'll Wait, China Town, Trouble With Never, and Tattoo? I have no problem with any of these tunes.....and absolutely love the new stuff also....but....Can we mix it up a little more on the second leg hopefully? Bullethead, Stay Frosty, As Is, Sinners Swing, D.O.A., In A Simple Rhyme, anything really cuz the whole catalog is brilliant......just please mix it up a little bit more. I'll shut up now.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    QUOTE=fourthcoming;1641859]I know I'm running the risk of sounding dicky, but God willing, there will be a second leg of the tour. And if there is a second leg....Van Halen....can we please lose Pretty woman, I'll Wait, China Town, Trouble With Never, and Tattoo? I have no problem with any of these tunes.....and absolutely love the new stuff also....but....Can we mix it up a little more on the second leg hopefully? Bullethead, Stay Frosty, As Is, Sinners Swing, D.O.A., In A Simple Rhyme, anything really cuz the whole catalog is brilliant......just please mix it up a little bit more. I'll shut up now.[/QUOTE]

Whoa... what`s in your coffee this morning?

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    While I have the same general opinion of the high register from watching the youtube stuff, at the show I couldn't have cared less. I even enjoyed Dance The Night Away. Any missteps were over quickly and his enthusiasm and showmanship more than made up for it. I think he ruled the roost Saturday night.

fourthcoming
    QUOTE=fourthcoming;1641859]I know I'm running the risk of sounding dicky, but God willing, there will be a second leg of the tour. And if there is a second leg....Van Halen....can we please lose Pretty woman, I'll Wait, China Town, Trouble With Never, and Tattoo? I have no problem with any of these tunes.....and absolutely love the new stuff also....but....Can we mix it up a little more on the second leg hopefully? Bullethead, Stay Frosty, As Is, Sinners Swing, D.O.A., In A Simple Rhyme, anything really cuz the whole catalog is brilliant......just please mix it up a little bit more. I'll shut up now.
    Whoa... what`s in your coffee this morning?[/QUOTE]

Nothing in my coffee at all.....Just want to hear a few different tunes from the 7 classic albums on the next leg.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthcoming View Post
    Whoa... what`s in your coffee this morning?
    Nothing in my coffee at all.....Just want to hear a few different tunes from the 7 classic albums on the next leg.[/QUOTE]

I know...first the Rangers, than the 20 band members that sounds like shit not to forget your analogy of GNR and Mike Tyson...you`re on a roll

fourthcoming
    Nothing in my coffee at all.....Just want to hear a few different tunes from the 7 classic albums on the next leg.
    I know...first the Rangers, than the 20 band members that sounds like shit not to forget your analogy of GNR and Mike Tyson...you`re on a roll[/QUOTE]

LOL.....are you stalking me? Yea, maybe somebody pissed in my cheerios this morning bro......rough morning at work so far.....gotta love Mondays. Hope yours is going better than mine.

Thread Information