X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Walker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
    Either Dave's roadie bashing is an act or he's gonna set the record for the most tantrums during a tour...far exceeding Axl Rose...
    Right... I mean Jesus Christ... this leg of the tour is over 1/3 over and the crew still can't get their shit together?
    On the other hand... I forget what show I was listening to yesterday... maybe the Washington, DC show(?) where Dave complimented the sound guy by name and told him it sounded great.

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Hmmm...

Comment

• TJMKID
        Veteran
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
        Either Dave's roadie bashing is an act or he's gonna set the record for the most tantrums during a tour...far exceeding Axl Rose...

Dave wants a great show and doesn't have much tolerance for incompetent roadies ---- how difficult is it for a dipshit to shine a light on Alex after his solo when Dave asks for it 3 times?

Axl is just a wimpy prick who likes to berate the audience for throwing shit at him ---- he's a cancer on the history of rock n' roll.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Concert review: Van Halen makes fans 'Jump'
          March 31, 2012 12:00 am

By Scott Mervis / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Here's a tip for the kids, free of charge. If you're looking to be in a band, particularly in the hard rock, metal, glam genre, and you want to do it for life, be the guitar shredder.

It's hard now, but it will be so much easier 20, 30 years down the road. You won't have to dance around, do scissor kicks and try in vain to reach the high notes that helped make the whole band sizzle.

Eddie Van Halen has no problem with those high notes. He just slides his fast fingers down the neck like that. David Lee Roth has the hard job of being the 57-year-old frontman who doesn't possess the long golden locks and animal magnetism he had at 27.

Despite being the people's choice among Van Halen fans, in part because the old songs are infinitely better, he was the weak link when the band played Pittsburgh on a 2007-08 reunion tour that also marked the debut of a new rhythm section -- Alex Van Halen with Eddie's son, Wolfgang, on bass. On Friday night, the same foursome returned, at the Consol Energy Center, this time with a bit more swagger, having been back on the grind and scoring critical acclaim and fan acceptance for comeback album, "A Different Kind of Truth."

While DLR was never Daltrey or Plant to begin with, he did seem better equipped for this tour, and Eddie and Wolfie helped on the high harmonies. The new songs, delivered in a lower register, and occasional talk-sing, also were better suited to his range.

The drawing card, of course, is still Eddie, who bounded on stage all smiles, launched VH with the thunderous riff from "Unchained" ("hit the ground running," right?) and took a pair of high flying solos that instantly reinforced that decision to buy a ticket. It looked like Diamond Dave might have been trying unsuccessfully to moonwalk.

VH took fans back to the beginning via "Runnin' with the Devil," with Dave's vocals making you wonder if maybe runnin' with Jesus would have been a better choice. He also hit some notes on "Dance the Night Away" that would have sent the devil running for cover.

Eddie was on fire, whether it was the deafening squeals of "Everybody Wants Some," the slow searing riff of "Jamie's Cryin'," the snarling "You Really Got Me" or the lightning fast blues of "Hot for Teacher," a furious workout for the boys on the bottom.

They tapped the new album with the likes of "She's the Woman," "Romeo Delight," "Tattoo" and the hyper-driven "China Town," putting the songs across with sheer force and volume. (It seemed appropriate that the cocktail napkin I shoved into my left ear at one point said "UPMC" on it. It may even have been during "Somebody Get Me a Doctor.")

The set lagged a bit through "Blood and Fire," a messy "Women in Love" and sluggish "Beautiful Girls." Dave then offered a rest for the ears by grabbing an acoustic guitar and showing us video of his farm dogs (who took him for a farmer?). That set up the jazzy "Ice Cream Man," followed by a hot and turbulent visit to "Panama."

Then, Eddie got his guitar god moment, alone for a pyrotechnic display of finger-tapping on "Eruption/Cathedral." He only needed about seven minutes to run through the best parts of the guitar hero bible.

He saved one of his best riffs in the long history of rock for the end -- "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" -- before Van Halen sent everyone home smiling with "Jump." It was one to savor, as you never know what chapter will come next in the tangled world of the Van Halens.

Back in the day, funk and metal didn't always get along. All these years and wedding receptions later, Kool and the Gang was able to open without causing a riot. That was cool, because the 10-piece band is a well-oiled, super-tight funk machine with crazy-good jazz horns and silky smooth vocals.

The Jersey outfit may have been a better opener for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but people were groovin' by the end because if you can't get into "Jungle Boogie" and "Get Down on It," with a magnificent sax duel, you have no funk in your bones. The crowd was all up and singing for "Celebration," possibly wondering if there would be cake. One kool addition somewhere during the tour would have been a Van Halen guitar solo smack in the middle of one of their jams.
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Momshell
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

I'll Wait

I know this isn't a favorite, but I think Dave sounds really good in this one and he has definitely been studying his lyrics.
            Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

• ElegantlyWasted
              Roth Army Recruit
              • Jan 2004

Hot for Teacher

Comment

• Momshell
                Veteran
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ElegantlyWasted
                Hot for Teacher
                Nice quality! Thanks for posting - is this yours?
                Stay Frosty!

Comment

• ElegantlyWasted
                  Roth Army Recruit
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Momshell
                  Nice quality! Thanks for posting - is this yours?

Yeah, it's mine. I have a video of Unchained that I still need to upload.

Comment

• Momshell
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ElegantlyWasted
                    Yeah, it's mine. I have a video of Unchained that I still need to upload.
                    Looks like you had great seats! Looking forward to Unchained! Thanks again.
                    Stay Frosty!

Comment

• ElegantlyWasted
                      Roth Army Recruit
                      • Jan 2004

attached photos
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ElegantlyWasted
                        Roth Army Recruit
                        • Jan 2004

Comment

• ElegantlyWasted
                          Roth Army Recruit
                          • Jan 2004

more!
                          Attached Files

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Momshell
                            I'll Wait

I know this isn't a favorite,

It is for me. Can't believe they kept it in the setlist this tour. I thought seeing it live in 2007 was a once in a lifetime gift. The little easter egg of the setlist. Always loved this tune. Dave sounds great and the drums are fun to air drum.
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Momshell
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by sadaist
                              It is for me. Can't believe they kept it in the setlist this tour. I thought seeing it live in 2007 was a once in a lifetime gift. The little easter egg of the setlist. Always loved this tune. Dave sounds great and the drums are fun to air drum.
                              I know - I love it too, moreso live than on the album.
                              Stay Frosty!

Comment

• Momshell
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2012

YRGM
                                Stay Frosty!

Comment

Working...