Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official 3/21 Ottawa Meetup/Review Thread

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    These kind of mistakes cause heart palpatations among us mid life crisisers!!

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh man, sorry about that. Got home tired and stupid. It was Romeo Delight. Where I got TYWH I will never ever know.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/...for-two-hours/

Review: Van Halen can still keep an arena full of people on their feet for two hours
    Posted on Mar 22, 2012

Years ago, Van Halen famously imploded amid the usual internecine rock and roll warfare, but at Scotiabank Place Wednesday night it was soon clear that despite all those years apart, the band is still as tight as David Lee Roth’s pants.

Reunited and slightly reconfigured – bass player Michael Anthony is gone, replaced by Wolfgang, the son of guitar god Eddie Van Halen – the band tore through a 23-song set in under two hours. The fiftysomething trio of Dave, Eddie and brother Alex Van Halen, on drums, may not have the volatile energy that made them stars back in 1978, but they’ve lost nothing musically. They still pack a punch, though these days it’s thrown more by Eddie’s furious fingers, and less by Dave’s acrobatic vocals.

The two of them appeared entirely comfortable together on stage, despite the years of animosity, and that’s the way it should be, for Dave and Eddie can only fully be Dave and Eddie if they’re together, as two forces alternately attracting and repelling one another and finding creativity and energy in the tension. There’s “Diamond” Dave, the peacock lothario frontman who lets it all hang out, and then there’s Eddie, the quiet, quasi-reclusive whiz bang of a guitar player. Without both forces on stage, the band could never really be Van Halen.

Dave (only first names used here, what with all those Van Halens about) almost did let it all hang out mid-show, during the song Tattoo. He pulled down his pants — black leather, cross-stitched, tight and sparkly, a bold choice for a 56-year-old man — and showed off a tattoo on his butt. It was a gun, and on the giant, stage-wide screen behind him it looked as big as a Howitzer. Dave did more showing off later, and it revealed that he’s not still entirely the incorrigible hedonist. As he strummed the acoustic guitar notes of Ice Cream Man, he showed a video of his border collies and spoke of them lovingly as they expertly herded sheep and cattle. When the video ended he quipped, “I’m the only rock and roller who owns livestock for non-recreational purposes.”

His voice was good enough, though without its former range, and nowhere was it more clear than on Beautiful Girls. The song, from way back in the 1970s, was always a grand example of his vivacious vocal power — all yowls and yelps among the devil-may-care lyrics like “I’m a bum in the sun and I’m havin’ fun,” a line surprisingly well suited to a 27 C day in Ottawa in mid-March. Dave couldn’t hit the high notes on the chorus, so he did what any wise frontman would do: he held out the mic and let the audience sing the words.

Otherwise his voice was enough to belt out a setlist full of classic rock-radio staples, including Running With the Devil, Dance the Night Away, Hot for Teacher, Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love, and Panama. Also in were the band’s two massive-selling cover versions, of Roy Orbinson’s Oh, Pretty Woman and the Kinks’ You Really Got Me.

Curiously enough, those two covers may be the most effective examples of Eddie’s signature sound. In both cases he managed to take a song that was universally known in its original version, and make it his own merely by pumping the riffs up to about a thousand pounds pressure.

An Eddie Van Halen riff is something tremendously sharp and electric, a wild thing on a leash that only he can hold. Near the end of the show he did a six-minute guitar solo — a tired tradition, but worth seeing when it’s Eddie, especially displayed on a giant screen where you can see it up close. His fingers move so fast that they cannot be measured by science or technology. There’s more to guitar than speed, of course, but speed is something that Eddie does uniquely, and exceptionally well.

The audience lapped it up, reveling in the reliving of their youth, (judging by the average age of those in attendance, which was surely north of 40). It wasn’t a big crowd — no attendance number was released, and there were lots of empty seats — but it was enthusiastic. Everybody stood up during the first song, Unchained, and stayed on their feet for the rest of the show.

Dave played to the fans shamelessly. He was energetic and animated, and predictably full of camp — kicking the mic stand up onto his shoulder and strutting, promenading, with swagger in every step. When the show ended with (of course) their biggest hit, Jump, Dave even gave up a couple of high kicks. They weren’t as high as they once were, but it’s impressive that he can still do them at all. If any other man that age in the building had tried a kick like that, his groin would have landed in Belleville.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One of the fun moments of the show was when Dave demanded the security guy move out of the way in the front of the stage and said something to the effect of "I don't share the spotlight with anyone." Not sure if this was spontaneous, or one of the things he does in every town?
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by clownsauce View Post
    Oh man, sorry about that. Got home tired and stupid. It was Romeo Delight. Where I got TYWH I will never ever know.
    Haha....I was wondering if we were at the same show? Would have been awesome if they did play it.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by clownsauce View Post
    I gotta work in the morning so this is going to be brief. Apparently I can't read a seating chart because I didn't know how good my seat was until I walked onto the floor and the nice lady said, "3rd row from the stage". I was the last seat in the third row on Wolf's side. I didn't try to keep track of the set list or take any videos and pretty much all the photos I did try to take turned out for shit, but fuck it, I just saw a concert of a fucking lifetime and I've got a total shit-eating grin going that's not going anywhere any time soon. I'm going to bed tonight an absurdly happy man.

The tweet about it being "far from a sellout" was technically true, as there were lots of empty seats in the upper bowl and at the back of the arena. But there were plenty of people there and the crowd was indeed enthusiastic and appreciative, especially up front. I don't think anyone's going to be disappointed by ticket sales tonight.

The things that are sticking with me:
    • Three songs in particular Ed and Wolf went OFF at the end: Trouble With Never, Hot For Teacher, and something else (Panama, I think). Unbelievable intensity from both of them and some "proud Dad" looks across the stage from Ed afterwards.
    • Dave did indeed pull out the splits a couple of times during Beautiful Girls, and pulled some back bends with a mic stand during Take Your Whiskey Home. I saw more high kicks than I thought I would.
    • Alex's drum solo was a thing of beauty. The polyrhythms get you going off track and just as you're about to completely lose the beat he snaps you right back to it.
    • It's been said by others, but it bears repeating: Wolf can PLAY. And SING. And he's clearly worked on developing his tone for individual songs.
    • I cannot get over how effortless Ed's playing looks. Even when he's clearly exerting himself the tension never ever shows in his hands.

Wolf's girlfriend came up the aisle past me near the start of Pretty Woman and hung out stage left beyond the security barrier for a while (she went backstage with the rest of them during Alex's drum solo). I assure you I was focussed on the stage, but from the few glances I took I can say that Wolfgang Van Halen is a very lucky young man.

I can't figure out how to get the embed code on my tablet, but the HFT video is up. OMG, Wolf and Ed made me pee a little at the end. I am so bummed I have to miss out this tour.
    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wolf's freakin killing it man. Damn, that kid is GOOD! You can tell Dave's really getting off on the Wolf/Ed magic inATBL. We need to get the women in Wolf's life to get him out shopping though...

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Got this from a link off of the Ottawa clip.
    And this is why Dave is Dave and Sebastian just... isn't. Steve Stevens is still awesome though.
    I brought my pencil!!!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    that was up a couple of months ago ... it aint even the same sport
    fuck your fucking framing

If ya can't beat 'em...
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatArtGuy View Post

Got this from a link off of the Ottawa clip.
    And this is why Dave is Dave and Sebastian just... isn't. Steve Stevens is still awesome though.
    Apparently Sebastian is a big Dave fan though. I remember when Sebastian was doing that super group reality show thing ("Supergroup" actually). He showed off some of his comic book collection and then some original artwork/drawing that he possessed, done by none other than Dave himself ! He was really proud of it.

Sheep Pen Barn Boss
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    good shit
    Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
    I don't know what our friend "Clownsauce" was talking about with the Take Your Whiskey Home post but, here's the set from last night. Perhaps, Clownsauce got into the sauce?

4. Romeo Delight

TAKING WHISKEY TO THE PARTY TONIGHT!!!

if one is drunk, the concert is loud & raucous, and excitement in the air....I can see the easy mistake. No biggie.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    the band is still as tight as David Lee Roth’s pants.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FROM THE OTTAWA CITIZEN by JEAN LEVAC

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FROM EH!LIST IMAGES by MARK HORTON

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rafa View Post
    FROM EH!LIST IMAGES by MARK HORTON

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com
    BAD ASS PHOTOS!!!! They look like they are all having such a good time!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Wolf's freakin killing it man. Damn, that kid is GOOD! You can tell Dave's really getting off on the Wolf/Ed magic inATBL. We need to get the women in Wolf's life to get him out shopping though...
    Wolf is freakin' amazing! I enjoy the vibe that he and Ed bring! And, I concur about getting him out shopping...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Still waiting for the image of Dave's tattoo!!!
    Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great pics - great show! Not sure why anyone would question empty seats, though. This place seats 20,000+ and the tour probably averages between 12,000 and 15,000+ a show (that's just a guess on my part - I admit I could be way off on that). For the third Canada show in a giant arena, I think the attendance would be pretty consistent with what they're doing stateside.
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Momshell View Post
    Not a close up, but he did it at about the 1:40 mark....

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That arena is miles from downtown, and on a weeknight? If I lived there I would have

road tripped to Toronto for the Saturday night show.
    WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I like Ed in all black. Maybe the red pants got mustard on the leg (deep deep joke for those who remember Ed's interviews from 30 years ago like my sorry ass.)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Word gets out that Dave flashes his bare buttocks onstage and the women go batshit crazee !!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    Word gets out that Dave flashes his bare buttocks onstage and the women go batshit crazee !!!
    absolutely!!!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I like Ed in all black. Maybe the red pants got mustard on the leg (deep deep joke for those who remember Ed's interviews from 30 years ago like my sorry ass.)

I got $63.27 in Paypal if someone can get an unworn Dice or No Bozos shirt to toss on stage for Eddie to wear.

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I got $63.27 in Paypal if someone can get an unworn Dice or No Bozos shirt to toss on stage for Eddie to wear.

That would be excellent!!!!
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here ya go Momshell....

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That man is bat shit crazy. I mean that in a good way.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That didn't look like a gun - COME ON DAVE let's see the whole thing!!!!

Oh dear.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "@KenTruffen: @JamiePistilli jamies Cryin', Pretty Woman or Top of the World yet? #vanhalen" pretty woman only so far!— Jamie Pistilli(@JamiePistilli) March 22, 2012

seriously?!
    Top of the World????? Wrong singer dude!

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FALCO View Post
    Every time I see a tweet or comment by one of these fucktards regarding Van Hagar I want to rip off someones eyelids...
    Clueless fucks...

This is the MIGHTY Van Halen... which by default means fronted by David Lee Roth
    \m/ \m/
    For the 07 tour, myself and 2 friends are driving home and the lady says "why didn't they play any Van Hagar"? My friend and i just looked at each other and said 04 tour is what you were looking for. Dave won't sing those.

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Such a wonderful ass it is. Been staring at it for years!!
    “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensible Shoes View Post
    That didn't look like a gun - COME ON DAVE let's see the whole thing!!!!
    Maybe You Need To get "Red Big" Out.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondsgirl View Post
    Such a wonderful ass it is. Been staring at it for years!!
    Clean-Up For DG.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have to say that I intentionally don't read reviews of shows I'm going to see to avoid spoilers, so it was so good that Dave came out with a Mic and stand. I was expecting the headset.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Here ya go Momshell....
    Thank you! Bea-u-ti-ful!! Just got a chance to check in - you made my night!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thank you! Bea-u-ti-ful!! Just got a chance to check in - you made my night!!
    Good Golly Momshell! I'd say that's a close up for ya!
    Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Em' Up! View Post
    Good Golly Momshell! I'd say that's a close up for ya!
    It'll hold me over 'til tomorrow night!!
    Now if I can just pry myself away from the computer.....

The Good,The Bad,&TheUgly
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    AWESOME!!! Dave, you made this Ice Cream Blondie's heart smile!!

Special request: Please remember your hometown crowd when you get here in June and show us your special Tattoo!!!

THANKS FOR POSTING VA BEACH!!!! Kudos!!!
    Last edited by IceCreamBlondie; 03-23-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Thread Information