Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Official 3/5 Philadelphia Meetup/Review Thread

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's PA Rental View Post
    Any chance of a Lou sighting? What the fuck Philly? Show is in 8 hours and this thread is still only one page?
    I'll be damned... Lou taped the show... it's up on dime

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=396554

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'll be damned. Wonder why he put it up at dime. Not that I care.

Due to some financial difficulty, I honestly wasn't sure if I was going to make this show until evening of the show itself. But in the end, I love Van Halen too much to skip a VH show in my own backyard. So I swallowed hard and bought a ticket at 4 PM that day off StubHub for slightly under face value. I'm glad I went. It was a great performance with a killer setlist. They seem closer knit as a band than they did on the 2007-08 tour.

As for the recording itself, I had the usual allotment of low-class assholes to contend with and I did the best I could under the circumstances. You can hear said assholes on the recording at times. Given where I was standing I'm a tad disappointed with how this came out--I was expecting more separation of instruments--but it's still a decent recording nonetheless.

There will not be a 16 bit version. I don't have the interest in doing that so any one of you can take it upon yourselves to do that and upload it to Dime, no need to ask me. Really you can do whatever you want with it without asking--mate it to a DVD, upload as mp3 files on guitars101.com, etc. I can't stop you anyway and I stopped caring about such things a long time ago.

Finally, a shout-out to the former DDLR crew who will be at the Buffalo show on Friday March 9th. I wish I could make it but I definitely can't. I'll never forget what a great time I had 4-1/2 years ago and I wish you all the best.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anyone converted it to mp3 yet?

Ah to be fair just noticed he has calmed down/grown up about that...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I'll be damned. Wonder why he put it up at dime. Not that I care.
    Well he wasn't going to put it up here after all the abuse he used to get.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm on it should have it by tomorrow.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Can you put it in JTTwhen you get it?
    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's PA Rental View Post
    Can you put it in JTTwhen you get it?
    Yeah good idea. I need to get my ratio up.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

No video but a couple pics..

Sorry I don't know how to make these attachments full size here...Enjoy

[ATTACH]DSC00685.jpg[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zempi; 03-06-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Camera ran out battery so only got a few.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zempi; 03-06-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Wink

Boobs or Van Halen?
    Can't we have both? Isn't that part of what VH is about....sex drugs and rock n roll\\
    Last edited by sob33316; 03-06-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    Yep - Midnight Run. Apparently Va has never seen it. Always great to pull quotes from when a Meetup/Review thread is quiet. Unless you're easily offended and/or have no sense of humor. Haven't heard about a sequel - not sure that would be a good thing. Why mess with perfection? Plus Grodin looked about 90 the last time I saw him.
    Believe it or not, there have been two or three sequels to the original Midnight Run. None featured DeNiro or Grodin, and apparently they were so ghastly they went straight to video.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah good idea. I need to get my ratio up.
    How do you get it from there? Does it just download to your itunes?

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Momshell View Post
    I'll Wait
    I know for some reason this is not alot of peoples favorites (I always thought this song was great and very underrated) ... but DAMN if they don't play AND sing the HELL out of this tune and it gives off such a COOOOOOL vibe...

\m/ \m/
    NEW Wicked Maraya coming in 2015!!!
    'Lifetime In Hell' (unreleased 1991) and 2 NEW songs!!!
    "A little more volume in the headphones please..."

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FALCO View Post
    I know for some reason this is not alot of peoples favorites (I always thought this song was great and very underrated) ... but DAMN if they don't play AND sing the HELL out of this tune and it gives off such a COOOOOOL vibe...

\m/ \m/

I agree with you. "I'll Wait" is nowhere in my Top 25 Favorite CVH songs of all time --- but it comes alive during a show. That driving drum beat & synth in the intro is haunting. Besides, it's a nice departure from non-stop guitar-crunching anthems that we hear the rest of the show. I hope they keep it in.

Fuck, I'd even like Dave's solo tune "Damn Good" to replace ICM in the setlist. Just read the lyrics to that song --- it's Dave's genuine heartfelt feelings about VH. Tearjerker moment and the women would love it. Remember that Eddie played some Hagarita solo songs before --- such as "One Way to Rock" and "Eagles Fly" so I dont see why he cant play a Dave solo tune as well.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
    How do you get it from there? Does it just download to your itunes?
    Please clicky and read.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showt...culating-Shows

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ok was listening to the Preston & Steve show on WMMR this morning for the recap. Well as stated Pierre gave the show 7.5, another dude I think Matt cord gave 6.5, the only sensible one Jackie Bam gave 8.

Don't know which one it was Preston or Steve but he said how Dave's voice wasn't all that great, where was the keyboard player, why isn't Ed playing the keyboard live(want it to be 84 again)?! Pierre said how Dave should stop the kicks & screams and do something different like rising out of the floor or do like he did back on the Sky-scrapper tour and ride across the audience on a surf board. Even went as far to say VH should get back up singers??!! This is The Mighty Van Halen not some pop van hagar band!!! WTH

Now last night they were speaking to people leaving and Everyone said it was an Awesome show!!
    And at lunch time today Pierre played UC & RWTD from last night as he recapped, he said fans were texting him furious the he gave the show a low rating!! LOL

Now everyone said how much they love Dave but still made the "norm" comments about his singing, forgetting the words etc...

What really kills me is that that's all you hear,like Dave is the only singer out there?! Have they heard Paul Stanley who's not that great, Mike Jagger who you can't tell what he's singing & other's etc...
    But all you ever hear is Dave Dave Dave...WTH!!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    People are really F'ed up. I am grateful to see them period. Most people don't sound as good live as studio. He sounded good to me. Sure there were a few places he sings higher but you can see he is brining it down or tries to. The music is super tight. There is not a stronger front man around. Whatever happened to people having a good time and stop complaining? People are spoiled. As I said Philly is a f'ed up place if this is what they were actually 'complaining' about last night. THe proper VH has not toured for YEARS (prior to 07/08) and people are really complaining? Then don't buy a ticket.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTwisted View Post
    I'm thinking if they record, they will do it during California shows.... Staples, Honda... maybe Oakland
    Never mind California. If they were smart they filmed one of the two shows at Madison Square Garden.
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Would have loved the MSG shows...Was the MSG shows 'THAT MUCH' better than the Philly show? Curious.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Holy shit dont film Oakland..itll get " lost"..AGAIN!!

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Also others said HEM & BU was heard during rehearsal, maybe planning those for their homecoming??

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloscda View Post
    Ok was listening to the Preston & Steve show on WMMR this morning for the recap. Well as stated Pierre gave the show 7.5, another dude I think Matt cord gave 6.5, the only sensible one Jackie Bam gave 8.

Don't know which one it was Preston or Steve but he said how Dave's voice wasn't all that great, where was the keyboard player, why isn't Ed playing the keyboard live(want it to be 84 again)?! Pierre said how Dave should stop the kicks & screams and do something different like rising out of the floor or do like he did back on the Sky-scrapper tour and ride across the audience on a surf board. Even went as far to say VH should get back up singers??!! This is The Mighty Van Halen not some pop van hagar band!!! WTH

Now last night they were speaking to people leaving and Everyone said it was an Awesome show!!
    And at lunch time today Pierre played UC & RWTD from last night as he recapped, he said fans were texting him furious the he gave the show a low rating!! LOL

Now everyone said how much they love Dave but still made the "norm" comments about his singing, forgetting the words etc...

What really kills me is that that's all you hear,like Dave is the only singer out there?! Have they heard Paul Stanley who's not that great, Mike Jagger who you can't tell what he's singing & other's etc...

Most radio DJ's today are fucking clueless just like Eddie Trunk. Trunk is trying really hard to convince the world that there is a huge demand for a Van Hagar reunion and EVH is stupid for ignoring that. Trunk also slobbered all over Hagarita's dick on "That Metal Show" in September and told Sammy he still sounds as good as he did in the 80's. Like I said ---- FUCKING CLUELESS.

It's amazing how many retarded shitbirds in the music biz still dont understand that classic VH was mostly about ATTITUDE. I've been watching some recent Journey clips and their Filipino singer nails all the old hits note-for-note but he got no swagger like Perry did. All these radio cocksmokers are never gonna get it.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Boobs or Van Halen?

I've had van boobage once.

Back in the 80's high school borrowed my friends 1978 Chevy van. plush ceiling to floors.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I've had van boobage once.

Back in the 80's high school borrowed my friends 1978 Chevy van. plush ceiling to floors.
    I'll see your boobage and raise you a "Bermuda Triangle". In '03 I took a girl to her first Dave show...There's nothing quite like a DLR show, outside in the rain, that, well, guarantees a good night for all Thanks Dave!!
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

The Good,The Bad,&TheUgly
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know this could "damage my reputation" but what the hell....I'd like to recommend another mission. Can we get Dave to take his shirt off? I miss the 6-pack from 2007!!!!

I most wholeheartedly agree!!! He is still sexy Diamond Dave to this Blondie!!

Come on Dave, do it for the ladies!!!
    Last edited by IceCreamBlondie; 03-07-2012 at 12:05 AM.

The Good,The Bad,&TheUgly
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Holy shit dont film Oakland..itll get " lost"..AGAIN!!

Funny Post! You are probably right!!!

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    I'll be damned... Lou taped the show... it's up on dime

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=396554
    I miss Young Lou. He's a DLR boards legend with countless, immeasurable cuntributions!

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fuck Preston and Steve. In fact, fuck Preston WITH Steve.

And fuck that hippie homo Pierre Robert as well. He's just in a mood because his dog died.

The videos tell the tale. VH rocked once again in Philly.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    HEM & BU
    That's fuckin' lazy...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    HAIL!
    Dave can't sing that for shit...

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Also others said HEM & BU was heard during rehearsal, maybe planning those for their homecoming??
    U ment Hang Em High & Bottoms Up...

Here's another site if you can't get on Dimeadozen... http://z3.invisionfree.com/House_Of_...?showforum=899

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hang Em High & Bottoms Up...

Did anyone confirm this? Were they played at the Philly Soundcheck? Since I'm going to the next show on Friday, I'm curious...

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
    Did anyone confirm this? Were they played at the Philly Soundcheck? Since I'm going to the next show on Friday, I'm curious...
    No they weren't played at the show only during soundcheck/Rehearsal. So maybe later in the tour or at their LA homecoming??

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Both of those would be awesome to include... Bottoms Up! would be the perfect song to come back to for an encore... you know, if they actually left the stage..
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Both of those would be awesome to include... Bottoms Up! would be the perfect song to come back to for an encore... you know, if they actually left the stage..
    I like Bottoms Up just fine, but don't you think that Vh has enough songs in it's cannon to kinda avoid a blatant drinking song with a 20 year old bassist and a guitarist who seems like he's always one bad mood away from a case of smoking loon... I know they play Romeo Delight and Beautiful Girls, but Bottoms Up is a bit different... just my thoughts on it.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    I'll see your boobage and raise you a "Bermuda Triangle". In '03 I took a girl to her first Dave show...There's nothing quite like a DLR show, outside in the rain, that, well, guarantees a good night for all Thanks Dave!!
    I as well took a girl to her first Dave show, and it was in Philly at the Spectrum, Thanksgiving Eve 2001 and we met up with a while bunch of Army members in the lot. Good times. We were on the floor, up against the stage. Let's just say it was a DAMN GOOD night for us!!!!! hehe :bigwink.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by killingfloorman View Post
    Closure!

Just got back from Philly.

I'm from the UK, unless you saw the legendary Sabbath Tour (and most who say they did are lying!)
    you didn't get a chance to see the mighty VH until Donington 84 (yes I know about the Hammy Odeon gigs, we don't all live in London).

Anyway, Donington was Cartoon VH, we wanted soooooo much to luv 'em, but it just wasn't there.

Tonight, i finally saw the MIGHTY Van Halen (sorry MA) and they fucking rocked the house. Dave was ON, Eddie? Wow. Alex and Wolfie - great.

It was everything i'd ever dreamed about... except for the crowd. WTF Philly? I live in Brasil, if VH had played that way in Brasil there would have been an earthquake. In Philly, a bunch a guys drinkin' beer and some drunk women trying to remember which year it is.

Sorry to the loyal fans who were there and rocked out, but damn it wasn't a great crowd!

VH rocked the house. I'm so glad i went and i look forward to AC.
    Dude....I live in the US, and even I (idiot that I am) know that Brasilian rock fans are the most insane fans there are when it comes to live shows.

You could probably go to any show in the US, and the fans would appear pretty lame compared to Brasilian crowds!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just hurt my face watching that video of The Full Bug
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hey Brasilian is right..I've lived out of the US for a long time....but from Philly....I totally agree with him they seemed lamer than I expected. I saw more 'chaos' and excitiement at a Prince concert @ MSG than the Philly fans gave VH...Surprised.. I mean it wasn't dead and actually I am one of those people who does not mind when people 'sit' to enjoy a show for the sake of watching. I don't rate a show by how many are up and 'dancing' or what not..It is when there are encores, applause, vibe, etc.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Ha....on Ticketbastard they posted a link to a review of the Philly show, and this first paragraph is one of the most kickass bits of writing about this tour I have seen so far:

http://www.soundspike.com/story/3981...-philadelphia/

Only a complete a fool would expect the 56-year-old version of Edward Van Halen to play with the same kind of turbo-charged fury and mind-blowing complexity that knocked the rock world on its collective ass more than three decades ago. And yet, that is exactly what the guitar legend did in Philadelphia Monday night (3/5)

Thread Information