Thread: Official 3/5 Philadelphia Meetup/Review Thread

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-28-2020 @ 03:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'll Wait
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Unchained

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Tattoo

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

HAIL!

5. Thanked Momshell for this KICKASS post:

fwacf (03-06-2012)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ice Cream Man

7. 3 users say thank you to Momshell for this KICKASS post:

DLR'sCock (03-06-2012),fwacf (03-06-2012),TJMKID (03-06-2012)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pretty Woman

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

part of Eddie's solo/ATBL

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

She's the Woman

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

EWS

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-10-2015 @ 11:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Momshell View Post
    Lookie what I found on YouTube! Sounds great!!

WOW! The band is tight as hell of course, and Dave's voice sounds great! He sounds like he's getting stronger, more comfortable, and singing a bit smarter too, at least here in this clip it is the case. They are really hitting their stride. The band is tight and loose!! Awwww yeah!!

This tour and album is going to make some waves, I tell ya!!!

Great find Momshell!! My best friend was at this show tonight, 8th row!
    Last edited by DLR'sCock; 03-06-2012 at 06:01 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I love how at the end of ICM Eddie introduces Dave to the audience.

14. Thanked DLR'sCock for this KICKASS post:

Zing! (03-06-2012)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post
    Ummm...

Joe Thunder, LP?

He only owns this site, fer christsake.....
    Thun-turd is closer to Pittsburgh than Philly...

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I love that they're keeping "Full Bug" in the show...I hope it stays for Atlantic City!

Dave needs to bust out the fuckin' harmonica I say....

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR'sCock View Post
    I love how at the end of ICM Eddie introduces Dave to the audience.
    Absolutely. Like music to my ears when Ed does that. And I agree that it definitely sounds like Dave's voice is improving with each show and he's getting a little more swagger in his step (if that's even possible). At any rate, he's found his groove on this tour - even throwing in little screams. By 5/19 the show should be a face melter.

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
    I agree! They were talking sequel last year.
    Yep - Midnight Run. Apparently Va has never seen it. Always great to pull quotes from when a Meetup/Review thread is quiet. Unless you're easily offended and/or have no sense of humor. Haven't heard about a sequel - not sure that would be a good thing. Why mess with perfection? Plus Grodin looked about 90 the last time I saw him. Okay, back on topic - great show in Philly, even if the crowd mistook the show for an Eagles game. Besides, how can I argue with this guy. I don't know what the fuck he's talking about.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.philly2philly.com/enterta...gends_philadel

Van Halen maintains status as rock legends at Philadelphia's Wells Fargo Center
    By Joe Vallee at 5:24 am on Tuesday March 6, 2012

If you’ve ever been to a Van Halen concert, you pretty much know what you’re going to get. A workmanlike effort from no matter who is behind the microphone, extended mind-blowing solos, some jokes combined with juvenile humor for good measure, and a two-hour barrage of classic rock staples from one of rock and roll’s best all-around discographies.

Let’s face it, whether you love or hate Van Halen, chances are everyone can name at least one song each from one of their original six album’s made with David Lee Roth from 1978 to 1984. For 34 years and multiple lead singer (and now bass player) changes, Van Halen has been in the stream of public consciousness. And Monday night’s performance at Wells Fargo Center was an exact reminder of why.

Set openers Kool & the Gang were arguably the band’s best ever opener, playing their funk classics and smooth grooves such as ‘Too Hot,’ ‘Hollywood Swinging,’ ‘Get Down On It,’ and their anthemic set closer ‘Celebration.’

Van Halen followed shortly after with set opener ‘Unchained’ and ‘Runnin’ With the Devil,’ with guitar god Eddie Van Halen tearing through both songs with reckless precision.

The band wasted very little time showcasing their new material from the month-old ‘A Different Kind of Truth.’ ‘She’s the Woman’ (an old club song dating back to the 70’s) and the album’s first single ‘Tattoo’ blended well next to concert favorites ‘Everybody Wants Some,’ ‘Somebody Get Me a Doctor,’ and ‘The Full Bug’ from 1982’s Diver Down, a rarity that until recently hasn’t seen the light of day since 1983’s US Festival.

Back where he properly belongs for his second consecutive tour is David Lee Roth, whose demeanor has gone from “Squirt me one more time and I'll F$%K your girlfriend” to more of a circus ringmaster. Maintaining an ear to ear grin for most of the hour and fifty minute set, the upbeat Roth threw in some slightly comedic tempo changes (a la James Brown, which the band jumped right on) as well as some candy to the audience during ‘Hot For Teacher.’ Roth even showed a video of his sheepdogs while playing the acoustic intro to ‘Ice Cream Man’ (That is Roth playing on the original recording by the way).

Despite abandoning the Garth Brooks-like head set that was used earlier in the tour, there were times when Roth appeared to be trying too hard vocally (mainly on ‘Dance the Night Away’) as he sang (as well as talked) his way through the set. Despite the occasional vocal shortcomings however, Roth held his own on new track ‘The Trouble With Never,’ ‘Beautiful Girls,’ ‘Panama,’ ‘Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love,’ and set closer ‘Jump.’

Check out Aileen Bannon’s Exclusive Concert Photos on Facebook! And remember to ‘Like’ us!

As usual, older Van Halen sibling Van Halen (while keeping his trademark shades on for the ENTIRE show), is as steady as ever at 58 years of age. Van Halen’s kit (which included four bass drums converted into two gigantic ones) is much reminiscent of the one he used on the band’s initial 1978 tour. Alex effortlessly hammered his way through some of the sets heavier tracks like the new ‘Chinatown’ and ‘Hot for Teacher.’ The only issue was his signature drum solo, which unfortunately clocked in a little under three minutes.

There’s not much more that can be said about the genius of Eddie (and I know it sounds like I know these guys, but you can only use Van Halen SO many times in this article). I thought the point was reached where you had seen everything the 57 year-old guitarist had to offer. However, you’ll know that’s clearly not the case after you listen to ‘Truth.’ This is the best I’ve heard him play since the Van Halen III Tour in 1998, and it was pretty evident the entire show that he’s ecstatic to be out playing again. A ten-minute Eddie Van Halen solo is worth the price of admission alone. And as you’ll see below, he once again delivered

Eddie doesn’t move around quite like he used to after hip replacement surgery, but still made the occasional trips across the stage to interact with his son Wolfgang, who seems to have rejuvenated his father after joining the band. The 20-year old bassist, who looked out of sorts in his first go-round with the band in 2007, maintained a strong stage presence while surprisingly handling the departed Michael Anthony’s background vocals with occasional help from his dad. Originally, I was strongly against the decision to not bring back Anthony. However, after watching him on Monday night, Wolfgang seems to fit right in. While he has a little bit to go before he’s quite on par with Anthony’s vocal ability, you could make a strong case that if it weren’t for his influence,‘Truth’ may never have come to fruition.

Many will agree that one of several tour highlights thus far has been the diverse set list the band has chosen, and Monday’s show was no exception. Though some notable songs (‘Jamie’s Cryin’, ‘Little Guitars,’ ‘And the Cradle Will Rock’) were absent from the show, the band did a solid job of mixing in their new material with their hits as well as deep tracks (‘Girl Gone Bad,‘ ‘Hear About it Later’). In fact, some tracks are so deep that they haven’t been played since the Carter administration (‘Woman in Love’ from Van Halen II).

The energy the band maintained throughout the show was admirable. But then again, effort has never been an issue with Van Halen. Even in the band’s heyday, a practice was never missed on account of their notorious rock and roll lifestyle. And despite their history of excess, they never bit the heads off of doves, fought a heroin addiction, or found themselves (for the most part) on the wrong side of the law (No, Roth’s pot bust doesn’t count). The only thing that ever held Van Halen back was Van Halen themselves.

The biggest question that remains here is whether Roth and Eddie can get along for an extended period of time. You saw the awkward body language between Eddie and Sammy Hagar on the 2004 tour. But in the early stages of this trek, their seems to be goodwill towards all. Despite their volatile history, Roth and Eddie both realize at this stage of the game that they need each other to bring out the best in themselves. Eddie has survived cancer and (for now) his issues with alcohol. If he can coexist with Roth on even the most civil level, there’s no reason why Van Halen can’t keep this thing going for a little while longer.

After all, everybody loves a party. And despite being a bit older and not as flashy, Van Halen showed Monday that they can still blow almost any band off the stage on any given night. And now that they’ve got some momentum (as well as a bit of youth), they could actually make this ride last after years of lost time.

Set List

Unchained
    Runnin' With the Devil
    She's The Woman
    The Full Bug
    Tattoo
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    China Town
    Hear About It Later
    (Oh) Pretty Woman
    Alex Van Halen Drum Solo
    You Really Got Me
    The Trouble with Never
    Dance The Night Away
    I'll Wait
    Hot For Teacher
    Women In Love
    Girl Gone Bad
    Beautiful Girls
    Ice Cream Man
    Panama
    Eddie Van Halen Guitar Solo
    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Jump

Contact Joe Vallee at jvallee@philly2philly.com

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Thun-turd is closer to Pittsburgh than Philly...
    Yeah, Joe was from Butler, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    Yep - Midnight Run. Apparently Va has never seen it. Always great to pull quotes from when a Meetup/Review thread is quiet. Unless you're easily offended and/or have no sense of humor. Haven't heard about a sequel - not sure that would be a good thing. Why mess with perfection? Plus Grodin looked about 90 the last time I saw him. Okay, back on topic - great show in Philly, even if the crowd mistook the show for an Eagles game. Besides, how can I argue with this guy. I don't know what the fuck he's talking about.
    Was that what you were saying? Fuck man, had no idea..

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-25-2019 @ 12:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Was at the show. Camera died at the end but it was awesome. Saw them in 2007 (not in Philly) while I liked that show, I loved this one. So remininscent of the past and equally matched. The only thing is (and I am FROM Philly originally though have not lived for years) Philly crowds ARE strange. I thought there would have been alot of energy from the crowd-I thought the crowd was laid back. I understand just wanting to watch a good show. No one says one has to be up and about dancing every minute. But it really helps performers really be into the crowd too. However it was a Monday night.

Overall though, it was awesome. We had great seats and I love this band! I had also remembered how well Dave wore that long hair so well-compared to now. We all age..so that is life. But great performer. His voice was much better than 2007, but we all know he is not the best singer. But he is the best frontman for a rock band Going to the AC show. Psyched!

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2016 @ 07:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks

HAIL!
    Holy shit, it just keeps getting better! Cock said it upthread that Dave is singing "smarter" and I completely agree. Thank god he ditched the headgear...now when he clears his throat it doesn't get broadcast over the PA. Wolfie is so friggin rock-solid, and I like that it seems like he is gaining more confidence each night. EVH seems more comfortable just being EVH than i've ever seen in my 30 years as a Van Halen fan...I wish I had the $ to go see them multiple times this tour...oh well. Hopefully we will get a DVD from one of the California homecoming shows...

24. Thanked Dave's PA Rental for this KICKASS post:

vandeleur (03-06-2012)

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Damn I think they sound great. Ed is just kicking ass.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2021 @ 10:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Operation: Eradicate Headset -> Mission Complete

Next up
    Operation: Get Wolf to change his clothes -> ???

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I know this could "damage my reputation" but what the hell....I'd like to recommend another mission. Can we get Dave to take his shirt off? I miss the 6-pack from 2007!!!!

28. Thanked Momshell for this KICKASS post:

IceCreamBlondie (03-06-2012)

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I know this could "damage my reputation" but what the hell....I'd like to recommend another mission. Can we get Dave to take his shirt off? I miss the 6-pack from 2007!!!!

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

If you were a dude it might, ...But I think your safe.

31. 2 users say thank you to SNIPER for this KICKASS post:

IceCreamBlondie (03-07-2012),Momshell (03-06-2012)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2018 @ 08:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm just smiling watching these live clips. The guys look like they're genuinely having fun. Love the "Mr. Roth your substitute" thing from HFT. Classic. By looking at Ed, he knows that Dave is the guy. Great stuff.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2018 @ 08:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Lookie what I found on YouTube! Sounds great!!
    Oh man, this has to be in The Montreal set-list! Next week!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-25-2019 @ 12:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Yes! Me too! I was hoping that was going to happen but never did!..Perhaps he is not in as good shape (for his own standards) as before. Maybe in AC we'll get lucky!

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

YES YES AND YES. I want the shirt off too.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sensible Shoes View Post
    YES YES AND YES. I want the shirt off too.
    What a bunch of damn pervs.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

I think of all the albums that we missed....

But then hagar was never quite like this!!!!!

Got it bad, got it bad, got it bad.......I'm hot for Halen!

38. 3 users say thank you to sadaist for this KICKASS post:

Angel (03-06-2012),IceCreamBlondie (03-07-2012),Mrkramer (03-08-2012)

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-21-2015 @ 04:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I want the shirt off too.
    Go for it.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

glad dave has stopped dry humping the chair leg with regards to the head set .. he was getting no love from it ....he just looks right with the mike .. the fact he is fucking knocking it out of the ball park singing doesnt spoil it either

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    What a bunch of damn pervs.
    YOu like 'em for what you like 'em for and us girls like 'em for what we like 'em for.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

YOu like 'em for what you like 'em for and us girls like 'em for what we like 'em for.
    Boobs or Van Halen?

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Damn ...we gotta choose

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Boobs or Van Halen?
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Damn ...we gotta choose
    No contest. You can grope and slobber over a VH album anytime you wish. A spectacular set of knockers? Not so much, particularly if you wish to remain employed.

45. 2 users say thank you to chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

SNIPER (03-06-2012),vandeleur (03-06-2012)

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I am super stoked with the live footage from this show. It seems VH is kicking major fucking ass. They are gonna be even more fucking scary in the weeks to come!! Good times! ...And if I was DAVE I would have my shirt off just for the ladies.
    Last edited by SNIPER; 03-06-2012 at 02:08 PM.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

Van Halen. Something for everyone as per Diamond Dave himself.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 02:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by killingfloorman View Post
    Closure!

Just got back from Philly.

I'm from the UK, unless you saw the legendary Sabbath Tour (and most who say they did are lying!)
    you didn't get a chance to see the mighty VH until Donington 84 (yes I know about the Hammy Odeon gigs, we don't all live in London).

Anyway, Donington was Cartoon VH, we wanted soooooo much to luv 'em, but it just wasn't there.

Tonight, i finally saw the MIGHTY Van Halen (sorry MA) and they fucking rocked the house. Dave was ON, Eddie? Wow. Alex and Wolfie - great.

It was everything i'd ever dreamed about... except for the crowd. WTF Philly? I live in Brasil, if VH had played that way in Brasil there would have been an earthquake. In Philly, a bunch a guys drinkin' beer and some drunk women trying to remember which year it is.

Sorry to the loyal fans who were there and rocked out, but damn it wasn't a great crowd!

VH rocked the house. I'm so glad i went and i look forward to AC.
    Not true, they toured here in '79 and '80.
    Last edited by AndyChad; 03-06-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Thread Information