Thread: Official 2/24 Chicago Meetup/Review Thread

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    why are you constantly gloating and deathriding every mis-step on this tour?

here we are, given a brand new kickass album and a rebirth of the mighty =VH= (literally),
    and all you do is sit there and niggle and bag them at every opportunity?

i just don't get it. there's a perfectly good stryper website.
    Boy, if that's not reading something into nothing...

Hey, your momma says what ??

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    go the mighty =VH=!!!

haters, fakers, idiots and dweebs be damned to eternal mediocrity.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR'sCock View Post
    Makes me think of when I went to see Iron Maiden at LAMOUR in Brooklyn in 1988 doing a secret show under Charlotte and the Harlots, and this hottie was working her way through the jam packed crowd, making guys into suckers and I could see how obvious her game was, and believe me she was hot. Well I was up against the stage for four hours for Maiden and she taps me on the back and asks if she could stand next to me where I was right in front of the stage. I look to my friends, and turn back to her and I say, "No Pussy comes before Maiden!!!!" and we laugh........sometimes you have to have priorities.........and she is shocked and pretends to see someone she knows off to the side....
    Dude...that says it all. I woulda done the same fucking thing.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For those of you that remember my friend "Wrigleyvillebabe"...she was at the show last night. I got a text from her around 8:30 that said "Backstage Pass for Momma...Fuck Yeah"! with the attached picture of the pass...

I have not heard from her since...lmao...I'll keep ya posted...or better yet....I'll see if I can get her to post!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    as is.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Someone at the links tweeted that in addition to Dave being "furious at the sound guys" for problems with the headset that he's also pissed that someone wouldn't turn the A/C off. Hope the issues get worked out before MSG in 3 days.
    Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    fuck your fucking framing

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Momshell View Post
    Hope the issues get worked out before MSG in 3 days.
    Understatement of the year. Wonder what went wrong.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR'sCock View Post
    Makes me think of when I went to see Iron Maiden at LAMOUR in Brooklyn in 1988 doing a secret show under Charlotte and the Harlots, and this hottie was working her way through the jam packed crowd, making guys into suckers and I could see how obvious her game was, and believe me she was hot. Well I was up against the stage for four hours for Maiden and she taps me on the back and asks if she could stand next to me where I was right in front of the stage. I look to my friends, and turn back to her and I say, "No Pussy comes before Maiden!!!!" and we laugh........sometimes you have to have priorities.........and she is shocked and pretends to see someone she knows off to the side....
    cool.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR19781984 View Post
    Its almost as if 86-2006 never happened!
    Selective amnesia baby!!!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    I don't want to be a sentimental asshole, and if you REALLY must move this, go ahead...

...but when I watched Eddie kick into GIRL GONE BAD tonight in Chicago and saw Dave singing like a madman...

...it was truly full circle for me. Seeing the band play GIRL GONE BAD...I remember back in the early 90's listening to this song and thinking, "They need to play this joint with Dave again someday." I never thought I would hear Dave sing GIRL GONE BAD with Eddie at his side.

My baby is almost here. My wife and my best friend were at my side. My wife is 7 months and danced with me to DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY. And this night was one of the greatest of my life.

Long live Dave. Long live fucking Van Halen.

Hell yeah, Man...and congratulations on the upcoming new arrival to the Family!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Go Wolfie!!!

Great to have my girl @OliviaEbert with me for her first show of the tour twitter.com/WolfVanHalen/s…— Wolfgang Van Halen (@WolfVanHalen) February 25, 2012

Check out this tweet from Wolfie from last night!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    I don't want to be a sentimental asshole,.

It's ok for you to be sentimental now & then. The other part we're already used to.

Roth on man! Sounds like you had that VH moment that almost is akin to having a religious experience. That's how I felt when I first saw Dave & Eddie on song #1 in 2007. Very difficult to explain to my casual VH fan friends. My heart filled up the chest, fought back a lot of foggy eyes, smile from ear to ear entire show, and loving every second of it. It's good to have people I see having the same love for this band.

ROTH ON!
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    fuck...I hope they come overseas this time...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    We aren't the only ones noticiing Dave's issues.....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...6660031.column

Concert review: Van Halen at the United Center
    Greg Kot
    Music critic
    1:25 a.m. CST, February 25, 2012

Van Halen was pretty much all business Friday at the sold-out United Center, and that’s saying something when that eternal hedonist, David Lee Roth, is involved.

The ’70s metal giants are back with three-quarters of their original lineup, with Eddie and Alex Van Halen joined by Eddie’s 20-year-old son, Wolfgang, on bass. They were an impressive power trio, throwing up a brick wall of sound with the youngest Van Halen in particular stepping up his game. On a 2007-08 tour, Wolfgang was an understandably timid teenager replacing band cofounder Michael Anthony. On Friday, his vocal harmonies were strong and sure, and his bass playing was agile enough to slip between Alex’s stampeding kick drums and Eddie’s slaloming guitar leads.

On a spare stage, backed by a wall of amplifiers and an IMAX-style video screen that essentially blew up the on-stage proceedings to Godzilla proportion, the band slammed out 24 songs in two hours. No fuss, few frills, only a confetti shower for the closing “Jump.” With the exception of some piped-in keyboards and a rhythm guitar track on one song, the band did all the heavy lifting itself. This was the kind of ballad-free heavy that suggested a grand piano being dropped from a 20th-floor window, closing in on the pavement with intimidating size and speed.

Sometimes it looked a little too much like work, especially for the normally flamboyant Roth. He entered with a scarf-and-glitter outfit befitting a circus barker and a broad grin. But he was soon complaining about the weather conditions (“There’s some kind of blower … shut it off!”), his microphone, the need for a water bottle – he was distracted presence for most of the show. Once a showman who was as much about acrobatics as singing, Roth focused exclusively on the latter this time.

He moved stiffly, without much bravado. No jumping, strutting, preening – compared to his former jive-talking, jive-walking self, he was positively inert. Instead, he tried to point his voice in the right direction, and about half the time he nailed the high notes. Otherwise, he sounded ragged and strained. It’s early in the tour, but you have to wonder how well his voice will hold up two months down the road. Or his attitude. In the future, he might try spending more energy on his performance than chewing out the band’s roadies.

Only a handful of tracks from the quartet’s latest album, “A Different Kind of Truth,” infiltrated the classics-heavy set list. With their shout-along choruses, “Tattoo” and “She’s the Woman” sounded pretty much like the old Van Halen, and why not? Several of the “new” tunes were recycled from the band’s early demos. What the fans paid to hear were the likes of “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love,” “Runnin’ With the Devil” and “Panama,” which endure as flashpoints for a generation on familiar terms with shag carpets and boogie vans. Not everything has aged as well, though. “Hot for Teacher,” for example; it’s difficult to defend that one remaining on the play list now that Roth is no longer in spandex.

Still, even the tritest songs had Eddie Van Helen playing on them, and that’s almost always a good thing. After a decade of health problems and intra-band struggles, he looked and sounded rejuvenated.

Near the end of the set, he commanded the stage by himself for seven minutes. First he flopped down on the stairs leading up to the drums like a kid in his bedroom: a boyish grin, jeans, gym shoes, and his guitar. He tap-danced on the strings, then drifted off into a space odyssey that suggested a soundtrack for an unmade science-fiction movie. He swiveled, wielding the guitar like a weapon, emitting a low, moaning chord that reverberated around the arena. He’s that rare ’70s guitar icon who still sounds like the future.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    as a singer myself I know how much a blower or air condidition can ruin your voice...especially when your dealing with a cold or something...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great post Rikk.....

Now I'm moving your thread....

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i can't disagree with much of what the critic said. first off the show was great. Wolfie has really shown to be bad ass bas player, and his back\king vocals were spot on. Eddie killed it all night!! his playing was superb...watching the crowd around me people were shaking their heads in awe...as they should have been.

Dave didn't sound good at all. He did have issues with the headset from the start...he was holding it against his head like he couldn't hear. And finally said fuck this and went to the hand mic...but it didn't get much better. He did sound horse and strained all night...he gave it a valiant effort, but i think he was trying to sing over the band and that never works. They went through the set pretty damn fast...which i think didn't help ether. i really think he's gonna have a hard time with his vocals the rest of the tour...im gonna see them April 1st here again hope he makes it until then.... Also it was pretty business like...Dave had very little interaction with the crowd..which kind of sucked.
    Mean street....girl gone bad...women in love...what i can remember those were the new deep cuts
    they also did panama...then Ed's solo...the aint talking bout love...then jump...so they are changing up the set list

i did record some footage on my iPhone..but it sounds pretty distorted...i will see if i can get in on here...also their was no hassle going in..it was fucking freezing outside, and all security asked is to open up your coat ...as far as cameras or video cams you should be fine for the up coming shows

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was at a show 20 years ago when Dave turned on his roadies and I'm surprised that he still doesn't realise how fucking unprofessional it looks and how it's bad for the show.

It's one thing for the crowd to party along when his singing is a bit off, you can overlook that, but it's hard to have a good time when you are watching people getting abused at their work.

It's like if you went out for dinner and the maitre de was screaming at the waitresses all night. I know it must be frustrating for him when his voice goes but being a dick about it compounds that problem big time.

If there are technical problems deal with them off stage like a professional don't try and hide behind them in public.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great to have my girl @OliviaEbert with me for her first show of the tour twitter.com/WolfVanHalen/s…— Wolfgang Van Halen (@WolfVanHalen) February 25, 2012

Check out this tweet from Wolfie from last night!

Awesome for Wolf! You just know he's a nice kid.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I was at a show 20 years ago when Dave turned on his roadies and I'm surprised that he still doesn't realise how fucking unprofessional it looks and how it's bad for the show.

It's one thing for the crowd to party along when his singing is a bit off, you can overlook that, but it's hard to have a good time when you are watching people getting abused at their work.

It's like if you went out for dinner and the maitre de was screaming at the waitresses all night. I know it must be frustrating for him when his voice goes but being a dick about it compounds that problem big time.

If there are technical problems deal with them off stage like a professional don't try and hide behind them in public.
    maybe he should have thrown a speaker after him?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    as a singer myself I know how much a blower or air condidition can ruin your voice...especially when your dealing with a cold or something...
    I know exactly what you mean.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That was the point I was getting to make.... [ I was at that Jersey show with Ed, BTW, with a perfect angle to all of that.... ]

I'm just hoping that those who gave EVH a pass for that "blowup" in Jersey would do the same for Dave's headset issues in Chicago....

I liken it to the team that gets blown out on a given night... You basically just "throw the tape away" and move on to the next game....

I kinda feel sorry for those guys that were trying to resolve those issues... You've gotta fix that shit ASAP, and especially when you're trying to fix wireless problems that may have interference issues, I'm sure that can be really frustrating....

Besides, our DDE contact is part of the video crew as well.....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well if they didn't already know about Dave's temper...

At the show I was talking about Dave bounced the radio mike off a roadies face.

It was an impressive pitch but not the kind of thing you want to see when you are out for a fun night.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 02-25-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Someone at the links tweeted that in addition to Dave being "furious at the sound guys" for problems with the headset that he's also pissed that someone wouldn't turn the A/C off. Hope the issues get worked out before MSG in 3 days.
    Axl Roth...

Last edited by ELVIS; 02-25-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Axl Roth...

elvis:
    something's missing ":"

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave seems to have serious problems with his voice...maybe it's a cold...so an A/C can kill you...he didn't want the fog in the warm up gig either...

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

Fuck That! The Van Halen I remember were not a band of pussies and I don't want them to be now! Shit, when I saw them in Charlotte '81, Dave called us Charleston all night and the crowd just fuckin' cheered! If DDLR feels its necessary to blast the crew in front of 17,000 that's fine by me Rock and Roll old school, Baby!

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I had a bad feeling about this....
    I suppose it's easy to just blame the venue for the incidents that took place last night, but damnit it's the truth. The United Center fucking sucks!
    It's common knowledge to most Chicago folk how horrendous UC is for concerts. I've seen 3 shows at that place, and after the third time I swore 'never again'. It's just the way it's designed. It was designed as a sporting arena, and for Bulls and Blackhawks games it still works, but not for shows. The acoustics have always been fucking horrible. It's like listening to the six-pack full blast...on AM radio.
    I'll bet you anything that sound guy got fired last night, and I'll double-down the bet that it was for things that weren't his fucking fault.

When they built the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, they built it with rock concerts in mind, and when the boys come back here on April 1st, there will be redemption.

Any negative things you may hear about last night are probably true, but they were also inevitable. United Center is a fucking joke.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have a couple videos, I'll upload when I get home tonight.
    My phone takes shit pictures.

To anyone wandering about bad vibes.
    The first two songs sounded kinda bad at times. David lee Roth must have a cold because I heard him cough at least 6 times, loudly. He wasn't clearing his throat.
    He had probs with his headset and I witnessed him throw it to a guy to the right of the stage.
    He asked for duct tape like 4 times and was getting pissed off about it.
    He started singing with a mic and all was well, he sounded really good.

He then went back over to where he gave the guy the head set and the guy tried handing him something and Dave did kick what ever the guy was trying to hand him. When he got his mic he toor something off of it too and threw it down in the stage, I seen him kick that object a couple minutes later while walking past it.
    He wasn't happy.
    He was also unhappy about a blast of air coming from his right side that was interfering with his and wolfs singing.
    He got pissed about that too, he asked twice for the united center people to turn it off, the second time he told them to wake up and turn the fucker off.
    After all that happened he went straight over to wolf and said something and wolf smiled a big shit eating grin.

Dave sounded pretty good to me after the headset mishap, he did throw me for a loop in a couple songs when he sang different words instead of the original recordings.

Eddie vanhalen is the star of this show, that sum bitch is hitting every note, and smiling the whole time doing it.
    He is having a good time, you can't fake that.
    My only complaint is that the volume was rather low, lowest by far of any Dave related concert ever. I've seen em at three times that volume.
    My ears are not ringing at all.

I'll write some more later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Roth And Roll
    Last edited by vh rides again; 02-25-2012 at 10:07 AM.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    I'll bet you anything that sound guy got fired last night, and I'll double-down the bet that it was for things that weren't his fucking fault.
    A guy at the Links who was there claims he saw DLR tell the guy he's fired at the end of Jump, TIFWIW....

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave with a CABLE-mic...now that's vintage!!!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah the UC is cavernous. Even when the place is packed for Hawk games you wouldnt know it.

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    when he switched to the hand mic he had 2 miss in his hand...then threw one away like a hitter breaking his bat and choosing the best one for the next attempt...during "jump" he tossed the mic to the right side of the stage like take this thing....i guess that was the roadies...then he pulled it back up like a fishing line....weird

yea the united center blows...literally for concerts

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    and THAT'S how you handle such a problem with style...watch 1:08

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave with a CABLE-mic...now that's vintage!!!
    Yeah it's kind of cool.

It just occurred to me there is almost no singing in Girl Gone Bad so that's another reason to keep it in the set, to give Dave a break.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why the fuck does his backup mic have a cord ?? You would think he would have a nice wireless. Like I said last page, self inflicted wounds some of this stuff.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    and THAT'S how you handle such a problem with style...watch 1:08

The King !! Classic.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    A guy at the Links who was there claims he saw DLR tell the guy he's fired at the end of Jump, TIFWIW....
    What th hell is TIFWIW ??

Thread Information