View Poll Results: How many albums do you think Van Halen's "A Different Kind of Truth" will sell?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 1 million

33 18.97%
  • 1-2 million

61 35.06%
  • 2-3 million

31 17.82%
  • 3-4 million

8 4.60%
  • 4-5 million

7 4.02%
  • Over 5 million

34 19.54%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Album Sales predictions-What do you think?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Catchy & interesting.

Thanks Vaijuju.
    No, lame and boring...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    No, lame and boring...
    No. Your bad moon's permanent.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    No. Your bad moon's permanent.
    Was that a joke ?
    Hot dog and a shake

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Why yes it is.

Your London Correspondant
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Without tour support album sales will continue to decrease. If stay frosty gets airplay them something may happen but it's the nature of the industry these days sadly, not a reflection of the quality of the album, which i think is cracking by the way.
    What a fight to get it right, For a minute of delight . . .

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It used to be you had to have the album to hear the music but not today. Bands are going to have to raise money on the road now because albums just don't sell like they used to and also for the younger generation music is competing against other entertainment like computer games and such. Rock and roll now for the youth is not as big as it was for us. It's expensive to go to concerts now unlike when we were in high school when you could see a major band for what a pizza costs.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Yes, in the mid-70s it was 3.50 in advance, 4.50 day of show. And the only way to hear any of the album besides the single was to buy the album.

And most of the info you got was word of mouth, or Circus, Cream, or Rolling Stone magazine (this was before RS became an advertising rag disguised as a music mag).

Hell, Wichita, KS did not even have an FM rock radio station for the last half of the 70s......

Ah the good ol' days.......ounce of Columbian Gold was 25 bucks......and a live concert (for the most part) was the only way you could EVER see your favorite bands. Once in awhile your fave bands MIGHT be on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, or the Midnight Special.....towards the late 70s rock concert films would be shown at mignight showings at some theater on Friday and Saturday.....Song Remains The Same, Woodstock, Jimi Plays Berkeley, Let It Be, Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii, Rolling Stones at Altamont.....

That was pretty much it.

To sound like an old rock and roll fogey, kids these days dunno how lucky they are!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    To sound like an old rock and roll fogey, kids these days dunno how lucky they are!
    I don't know about that. There are no full albums good enough to buy. Their musical life is a buffet where they pick and choose this one and that one from the iTunes buffet. Record companies don't spend time developing a band. They really can't have a favorite band. They have favorite songs to fight over. When I was a teen, we'd fight over who the best guitar player, best drummer, etc. What do they fight over now? Who the best computer programmer is? As for the exposure, there is something to say for overkill. If I saw and hear Van Halen anytime I wanted, would they be as special to me? I dunno....

And as you know, HR, Nashville really doesn't have a FM rock station (105.9, PLEEZE...)

There are pros and cons to the music industry. The future isn't what it use to be indeed.
    "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by minkahed View Post
    Was that a joke ?
    Nah, that was just a playful zinger. Jokes usually have punch lines.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvioDante View Post
    I don't know about that. There are no full albums good enough to buy. Their musical life is a buffet where they pick and choose this one and that one from the iTunes buffet. Record companies don't spend time developing a band. They really can't have a favorite band. They have favorite songs to fight over.

There are pros and cons to the music industry. The future isn't what it use to be indeed.
    I'm beginning to think the days of putting out an album may be getting numbered...

As the music business progressed, the amount of music produced by an artist release was primarily dictated by the amount that could be packaged onto the media. That constraint was directly in relation to the technology available at the time. Look at the progression from 10-12 inch 78 vinyl platters, to two song 45's, to full length stereo 33 1/3 record albums. Tape media (reel to reel, 8-track & cassette) lengths just mirrored vinyl standards. By the 70's it meant 10-12 songs about 3 minutes in length give or take. Even today the time length elements still mirror the old standards.

If the technology media were the only constraint... or limiter... hell today you could release an album on thumb drives that would play for a week without break. Surprised no knucklehead has attempted to market something that long yet... but give em time.

I have colleagues in the business looking at a model of having the band produce a song and video about every other month or so over a period of time. Eventually if there's a market they'll compile a body of work and package it. If not, just keep working hard at quality single releases rather than a dozen songs at a pop with maybe 1 or 2 really worth the effort. The way they choose songs to record is based on fan response/reaction during their live shows. This way the minimize studio time/costs and keep fresh product rolling out for the short attention span of the music buying public.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's simply a reflection of the music industry and - in truth- of the ways in which people listen to music.

When bands sell millions and millions of records, it's not because all of those people want every song on the record but because back in the day they didn't have a choice. You wanted to own 'Billie Jean' then you had to buy 'Thriller' (once the single was deleted). Downloading - legitimately or otherwise -allows the casual fan to by-pass that.

Now is the time when only hardcore fans and musos buy records. Sad but true.

The knock on effect of this is that bands tour more, which is great. Who doesn't want to see legends? But it's short sighted from the industry as a whole as those legends are blocking the progress of younger bands to to top - who will be headling in 20 years when these guys are all in retirement homes of decomposing music?
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I have colleagues in the business looking at a model of having the band produce a song and video about every other month or so over a period of time. Eventually if there's a market they'll compile a body of work and package it. If not, just keep working hard at quality single releases rather than a dozen songs at a pop with maybe 1 or 2 really worth the effort.
    I think that's what the Smashing Pumpkins were doing a year or so ago - a 'single' a month or something.

I think the problem with that, for the artists, is twofold. First, you're doing it digitally, online, which means your new single every month can be easily copied and heard without you necessarily generating enough revenue to keep your band's pecker up for the long game (never mind making it near impossible to build mystique). And you'll need to keep playing a lot of shows to make good cash.

The second thing is maybe more crucial - saturation of your possible market by appearing to be constantly out there - and all so as not to get lost in the wave after wave of media content that we all now pretty much have available. Not a good time to be a rock band.

Personally, I don't want anything that's too easy to get hold of. It's a bit like the 'if it's free it won't be any good' way of looking at the world.

Here's the most obvious example in my experience. Every month I buy several UK monthly music magazines, and they all come with free CDs in the cover - as if THAT'S why people buy the magazines. I have piles of these things, still wrapped. It takes a lot to get me to listen to something that's just there and takes no effort on my part.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Another week gone by ...

An update ?

Or should we say it's over for this disc ? (sales-wise)

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    At this point, I'd say it's sold about what it's going to. I mean, not unless Stay Frosty hits BIG, which...well...it may or may not, but at this stage, I think it's at the ceiling. Kinda curious why they went with Stay Frosty as opposed to Blood and Fire, Blood and Fire seems to me a lot more, eh, 'radio friendly' for lack of a better term.
    Twistin' by the pool.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For what it's worth, Springsteen's latest, "Wrecking Ball", fell out of the Top 200 after only 16 weeks with sales of 411,000.

Bruce has been putting out product consistantly for over a decade now, and his 2009, "Working On A Dream" just barely reached Platinum.

The current state of music at retail is really falling apart.

I was told by a friend of mine that Van Halen's 2012, "A Different Kind Of Truth" did surpass 400K in sales.

If anyone has any updates on sales figures, please don't hesitate.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They sold over 3000 for the week.
    So this album has legs.It will get to Gold at some point.
    I'm guessing they are at 390,000 around now.
    Aerosmith is behind them at 173.
    Aerosmith, Best of Aerosmith: The Millennium Collection (3,000, +42%, 473,000) (#173 BB200)

(props to 75 kl from vhlinks)
    Last edited by vaijuju; 06-23-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I guess the only thing I don't get is why the record company isn't pushing the record? You would think it would be in their best interest to sell as many copies as possible - whether they're plastic or digital. Right? I mean, in the beginning when the deal was announced it looked like there was going to be serious promotion. And then, nothing. I know, they had the Times Square billboard - but how many people saw that on live TV and recognized it for what it was? A handful, and most of them are right here. Hell, you couldn't hardly even see the thing unless you were looking for it and then you had to know what it was for it to make any sense. Then they plastered the building in LA with the album cover, which was cool but it didn't get all that much traction. And as for the two private gigs - well, they generated some buzz but obviously that didn't translate into sales.

Look, I get that VH doesn't care to promote the record, for whatever reason(s) they have. But you'd think that the record company would be pimping this thing from coast to coast and trying to cash in as much as possible.
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    But what albums are really even promoted any more? Walk through Best Buy or Walmart and maybe....maybe see a small stand promoting 1 album. But more than not it's a stand of new releases or hot music. Not like the GOOD old days of Sam Goody, Wherehouse Records, Tower Records, etc when you would walk in and they would have monstrous displays for the new album. I really don't frequent any music sites or magazines so I don't know what type of banners or ads they might have run for this.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    To Be honest, I wanted this disc to be really successful and go Platinum just to shut ol Spammy up and to prove to him, once and for all, that Dave is what we all really wanted to begin with.

Even to Michael Anthony. He's always shrubbed Dave off as this plastic puppet in original Van Halen, it just makes me wanna slap the shit out of him.

The fact that Chickenshit went "Gold" suprisingly fast and the new record with Roth hasn't, just makes matters really bizarre.

It pisses me off that he immediately dismissed "Tattoo" when it was first released and it seems that the public, at large, agrees with him.

The album is really good and it deserves to be heard.

At least Mike admitted, "They made a really great album".
    Last edited by minkahed; 06-23-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It will eventually go platinum if they keep up themselves in the media as they have been. Dave should probably do more interviews, ala CNN and whatnot, but I notice more casual fan co-workers have come up to me, knowing I'm a rabid fan and said "So, I saw Eddie Van Halen on _________. They've got a new album out?" My boss bought it on my recommendation for her husband's birthday a few weekends back, when I rolled into the office on that Monday I asked "How'd you guys like it?" she says "Oh, IT's great. But he played it non-stop ALL WEEKEND."

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    It will eventually go platinum if they keep up themselves in the media as they have been. Dave should probably do more interviews, ala CNN and whatnot, but I notice more casual fan co-workers have come up to me, knowing I'm a rabid fan and said "So, I saw Eddie Van Halen on _________. They've got a new album out?" My boss bought it on my recommendation for her husband's birthday a few weekends back, when I rolled into the office on that Monday I asked "How'd you guys like it?" she says "Oh, IT's great. But he played it non-stop ALL WEEKEND."

If you look at the demographic...an appearance on CNN is actually the best marketing you could come up with. I don't know how many hard-core VH fans I know who heard Tatoo ...didn't like it...and I told them to just buy it and listen.

Every last one of them says, "You were right!!...I haven't played anything else since."
    Roth Army Canada

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh yeah, Ed and Wolf - on CNN on Father's Day? Brilliant marketing. But keep the ball rolling, as they say...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bueno bob View Post
    At this point, I'd say it's sold about what it's going to. I mean, not unless Stay Frosty hits BIG, which...well...it may or may not, but at this stage, I think it's at the ceiling. Kinda curious why they went with Stay Frosty as opposed to Blood and Fire, Blood and Fire seems to me a lot more, eh, 'radio friendly' for lack of a better term.
    I have not heard Stay Frosty on the radio at all and I have called WDHA in NJ a few times to request that or Blood and Fire or As Is, but to no avail.

The DJ Terrie Carr on WDHA told me she hated the new VH album when I called the other day. I of course told her my opinion of it, and she said she couldn't understand that people like the album. I guess others have called as well.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I read somewhere on the internet recently that the album was just certifed Gold. Should have saved the link.

I am thinking they are referring to the fact it is Gold in Canada. It was a US source though
    Last edited by Romeo Delight; 07-06-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Oh yeah, Ed and Wolf - on CNN on Father's Day? Brilliant marketing. But keep the ball rolling, as they say...
    I suppose so, but why was it that the majority of the press done by Ed and Wolf was just recently...just in time to get OFF the road....

only in VH land does that make sense...
    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    I read somewhere on the internet recently that the album was just certifed Gold. Should have saved the link.

I am thinking they are referring to the fact it is Gold in Canada. It was a US source though
    Yes for Canada,GOLD ALBUM(S)
    40,000 Units VAN HALEN A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH UNIVERSAL MUSIC INTERSCOPE Apr 27, 2012

sales in EU are around 400 000 (Gold 500 000)!
    Last edited by vaijuju; 07-06-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR'sCock View Post
    I have not heard Stay Frosty on the radio at all and I have called WDHA in NJ a few times to request that or Blood and Fire or As Is, but to no avail.

The DJ Terrie Carr on WDHA told me she hated the new VH album when I called the other day. I of course told her my opinion of it, and she said she couldn't understand that people like the album. I guess others have called as well.
    Ok, I heard Stay Frosty on WDHA once two weeks ago.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know it's stupid that this album isn't getting played, it kicks major ass in my opinion.
    This fall I'm playing in a 1 club golf tourney and it's sponsers are the local radio station.
    I've never had much to say to the DJ's but this year I'm going to say plenty.

I'm going to tell them to try and fit in 1 song off the long awaited vh album somewhere between all the shit red hot chili peppers and the gawd awful nickel back.
    Fuckin sucks ass.

Roth And Roll

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Eddie Trunk just played You and Your Blues on his show on Q1043 Friday Night Rocks and talking up great things about the new album. He also said he heard the reason for the tour cancellations was due to economics.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Economics ??

Eddie Trunk sucks Hagar's dick daily...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, he said it came from industry insiders, whatever....that doesn't bother me....i am sure there is some truth to that.......and yeah i know he is a hagar fan, but usually when i have listened to his show recently and it's been random, he plays a tune off of the new album, which is more than most other DJs and stations do....

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, they sold a hell of a lot of tickets and they have a small band and no stage show...

If its economics, someone ripped them off...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That or the piped in bass parts are prohibitively expensive...

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR'sCock View Post
    Ok, I heard Stay Frosty on WDHA once two weeks ago.
    I heard Stay Frosty today on my ride home. "New Van Halen" was said....and I think it held up well in the rotation.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Held up well ??

It fried all the other songs !!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If you can't wrap your head around the possibility and all of the factors involved then it's not even worth discussing...

Ok, let's give the real reason, Dave needed to get his hair fixed, and everyone knows that would take months and months to do.....so the band is just going to secretly replace dave with hagar and hope nobody notices....

yaaaaaaaawnnnnnn

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    I heard Stay Frosty today on my ride home. "New Van Halen" was said....and I think it held up well in the rotation.
    I'm just glad the new album get's "some" play...........but we all know it deserves so much more....most people i have turned onto the album really like it....

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hopefully he's getting his voice fixed...

Fuck his hair and his hula dance...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hope he takes the time to seriously address it, and I hope some people around him who he trusts[aside from the band] are honest with him about the issues, and that he looks into getting a really really great coach and do everything possible to strengthen it properly with the right kinds of vocal exercises and warm ups.......if you do the right thing, over time it really does help....

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    But what albums are really even promoted any more? Walk through Best Buy or Walmart and maybe....maybe see a small stand promoting 1 album. But more than not it's a stand of new releases or hot music. Not like the GOOD old days of Sam Goody, Wherehouse Records, Tower Records, etc when you would walk in and they would have monstrous displays for the new album. I really don't frequent any music sites or magazines so I don't know what type of banners or ads they might have run for this.
    Related to your point, where do you even find CD's anymore? A couple of FYE stores in my area closed up. I don't know if the company is going out of business completely but they're sure headed that way. And as far as I know they're the last brick and mortar devoted solely to entertainment out there. Best Buy is going down as well, with the likes of Walmart, Costco and of course amazon.com outdoing them on just about everything. I've read stuff on the internet that bluRay might have a limited life as well as more people gravitate towards streaming. Bottom line is, most people don't want or care about physical media, other than the playing device itself. It's not worth the effort or the cost to them. So you're left with only the truest of die-hards who are happy to spend the money to support the band, and care about the packaging and artwork and all that stuff.

Maybe this should be discussion for a separate thread but I don't even know how smaller scale bands are able to turn a profit and keep going honestly. They're not going to make much if anything off albums. So they're down to other merchandise and touring. But I don't see how they make money on touring either. Let's say you have a small band that plays to an average crowd of 500 people per show, and charges $20 for admission, if that. If the gross revenue is $10,000, after factoring in all the costs the artists can't be left with very much, if they're even making money at all.

Thread Information