X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dopie
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Nov 2006

Roth is a great singer, but...

Dave, please stop the screaming. The way you sing the first lines to Somebody Get Me A Doctor at the New York gig, for instance, is awful. Just stick to the great melodies. Your voice is at its best in the low/mid registers, as we all can hear on the great Van Halen albums. You can still reach those notes, so there is no need for that strange high pitched voice. I'm sure everybody knows what I'm talking about here.

And Dave, please pay a bit more attention to your timing. On record it's always perfect, but live, it seems that you sometimes forget the words, so you are too late. Well, find a way to remember them. Don't get me wrong, David Lee Roth has one of the greatest voices in rock and he still can be a great frontman. But most of the time, the live singing could be a lot better. It's not a karaoke show, it's your profession.

So, there I said it.
  • ToraToraTora
    Head Fluffer
    • Aug 2010

Dave forgetting the lyrics and sucky timing is ALL part of his charm dude!

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by dopie
      Dave, please stop the screaming. The way you sing the first lines to Somebody Get Me A Doctor at the New York gig, for instance, is awful. Just stick to the great melodies. Your voice is at its best in the low/mid registers, as we all can hear on the great Van Halen albums. You can still reach those notes, so there is no need for that strange high pitched voice. I'm sure everybody knows what I'm talking about here.

And Dave, please pay a bit more attention to your timing. On record it's always perfect, but live, it seems that you sometimes forget the words, so you are too late. Well, find a way to remember them. Don't get me wrong, David Lee Roth has one of the greatest voices in rock and he still can be a great frontman. But most of the time, the live singing could be a lot better. It's not a karaoke show, it's your profession.

So, there I said it.
      Well, thank you very much for your advice, we will forward it to Dave who will gladly take notice.
      A professional singing adviser was seriously missed here, thank you so much!

Cheers! :bottle:
      posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
      posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

You're talking about Dave Matthews right?
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Not to mention the fact that it is pretty much unlikely that Dave needs career advice from a guy that wasn't even born yet when Roth started performing.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• vandeleur
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Sep 2009

fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• bluemustard
              Veteran
              • Mar 2006

Dutch people

DLR

Comment

• dopie
                Roth Army Recruit
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                Well, thank you very much for your advice, we will forward it to Dave who will gladly take notice.
                A professional singing adviser was seriously missed here, thank you so much!

Cheers! :bottle:
                Come on, I didn't mean to be a wiseguy. It just the way I see it. I'm having trouble enough putting it all down in English. I have been a fan since the '80's. I even joined the Rotharmy when nobody gave a penny for VH or Roth (about 10 years ago my username was "Rob100" if I remember right.) I'm thrilled with all the stuff happening at the moment and I've waited, just like all of you, for years for this to happen.

No need for all the cynical replies here.

Comment

• vandeleur
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Sep 2009

Come on, I didn't mean to be a wiseguy. It just the way I see it. I'm having trouble enough putting it all down in English. I have been a fan since the '80's. I even joined the Rotharmy when nobody gave a penny for VH or Roth (about 10 years ago my username was "Rob100" if I remember right.) I'm thrilled with all the stuff happening at the moment and I've waited, just like all of you, for years for this to happen.

Am guessing all the people on this site have always gave a penny for Dave !!!!!
                  fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

Stop the screaming? Pay more attention to timing? Forgetting the words?

Dude, he's David Lee Fucking Roth, the greatest FRONTMAN in the history or Rock and Fucking Roll....

You just don't get it. Maybe that's lost in your translation.....

You want to hear singing, go see the Three Tenors....
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Nov 2004

Well, don't take it too hard, man, it's only irony, no cynicism here...

There have been a few threads that dealt with Dave's singing, his '94 new pitch
                      for instance. Maybe it's what didn't please you in last Thursday's versions?
                      I only agree with you on his forgetting lyrics (but who honestly wouldn't? ) -
                      in Panama, he sang "Full top and top down" at Café WARF.
                      But well, not worth getting mad, is it?
                      Dave starts singing his lines when he wants, they're his lyrics, aren't they?

Anyway, if the videos that were posted are priceless, they don't render the sound
                      properly, and except in a couple of them, Dave's voice in particular, so let's not judge
                      too quickly...

Roth on, Dopie!
                      posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                      posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                        You want to hear singing, go see the Three Tenors....
                        Now that should prove interesting, since Luciano Pavarotti died like 5 or 6 years ago...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ToraToraTora
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by vandeleur
                          Am guessing all the people on this site have always gave a penny for Dave !!!!!
                          And Blood,Sweat and tears, lots n lots of tears!

Comment

• dopie
                            Roth Army Recruit
                            • Nov 2006

I'm really stunned by the total lack of criticism here. The guy is not Jesus. Nobody seems to even want to know what I mean. I was hoping for a bit of discussion, but this is ridiculous.

Edit: sorry, didn't see Jeromes note. Too busy checking the spelling of words like "ridiculous"!
                            Last edited by dopie; 01-08-2012, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• sadaist
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jul 2004

Daves imperfections are what make him perfect.
                              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...