Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinnie Velvet
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Available for pre-order on double LP gatefold!

=V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
      Can't say if it's Walmart or the label... odds are number 3 is just the CD & shirt. Then you gotta double dip for another unit... for CD + DVD. You know how it goes in business... Everybody wants some...
      Well, I guess I'll be purchasing this thing in at least 3 formats: The t-shirt package, the CD/DVD and naturally, the vinyl edition. What the hell, I haven't bought an album of new material in a few of years, since all I tend to get these days are archived boxed sets and reissues of albums I bought 10, 20 or 30 years ago anyway.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• kiwimark
        Roth Army Recruit
        • Jan 2012

Will you be able to buy the Deluxe version of ADKOT in stores at release date?

Hi all -
        Sorry if this is in another post - But want confirmation that the deluxe version will be sold on release date internationally? as want to walk into a store to get the album on our release date Feb 3 2012 (as live in New Zealand and should be in line with the Australia release date) and would like to know if need to pre order deluxe from web and suffer through standard version for a couple of weeks (as it would arrive a week or so here after US release date)
        Last edited by kiwimark; 01-17-2012, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• neuralfraud
          Head Fluffer
          • Aug 2010

In theory we should not be able to distinguish any distortions/etc in a recording done at 44kHz/16bits.

First let me delve into your statement regarding samplerate/precision

44,100 snapshots per SECOND.

Times 16 bits. What exactly is the "Bit depth" anyhow? You know this but many do not. It's basically the number values each sample can have. 1 sample is 1/44100th of a second; infinitesimal. That sample could have 65,536 possible values in total, but inreality it's gotta account for phase, so 32,767 either way.

Sounds like a lot, it is a lot... then there's 24-bit precision. It's safe to say that whatever the exact level/value for any particular sample will be recorded EXACTLY.

With that having been said, let's just go ahead and say that the recording should be fucking PERFECT. 44,100hz samplerate translates to an effective frequency range of 0-22,050 hz and for the sake of argument let's just say that encompasses the entire audible range of the human ear and then some.

NOW digest this motherfuckers!

In a nutshell, most cd players have shit for dac's and shit for filtering and the resulting audio image is shit. Anyone smart enough to possess a high-quality cd player with high resolution filtering SHOULD get much better imaging from the same source material..

But since we don't always own $8,000 digital-analog converters/filters, it's easier to buy turntables and enjoy analogue audio with all the nuances.

Thats anothing thing.. how many of us own peice of shit amplifiers/home theater systems? Most of these can barely handle the transients let alone sustained power required to listen to van halen at it's proper ear-bleeding level...

Getting rambly now, better stop. Check out the article and the rest of his site; extremely cool stuff and interesting stories from an engineer of a legendary audio and speaker manufacturer.
          Originally posted by kwame k
          Not really, bro.....

CD's capture a snapshot, for lack of a better word, of the music at a rate of 44,100 snapshots a minute......it's done to a precision rate of 16 bits. So you only have so much space to capture the sound....it's not infinite. What can't be fit into those spaces is cut, clipped, compressed, or ignored altogether.

Analog sound is the way we hear things, so it's a natural sound for humans......records have a groove cut into them that mimics the actual waveform that we hear.

The difference would be storing your personal belongs in a weather tight climate controlled building as opposed to a shed that has a leaky roof and holes in the walls.......it'll get the job done but you'll lose some of your belongings in the process.

Comment

• wiseguy
            Head Fluffer
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
            Available for pre-order on double LP gatefold!

http://www.store.livenation.com/Prod...1&pc=XM03COMBO
            I just ordered this LP to add to my collection. Then went to Amazon.com to order the cd/dvd deluxe edition. Already pre-ordered itunes copy and probably will buy cd when it comes out that day as us Canadians (eh) won't get any of the US ordered stuff till later. 30 years for a hundred fifty bucks...? Definetly worth it.
            Stay frosty now.
            Nostalgia is a form of denial. I love denial. I like selective amnesia, too. Mix the two and you've got a hell of a weekend-DLR

Comment

• T4GUITAR
              Full On Cocktard
              • Jan 2004

I downloaded the single on iTunes and now if I try to preorder the album it says I'll have to rebut tattoo, anyone else have this problem? Not a biggie but why should I pay for it twice. I'm already gonna pick up the cd on release day too.
              "The only adventures I regret are the ones I missed" DLR

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

My fun budget is getting hit with this VH activity...

Bought the exclusive Kiwi version of Tattoo a day before the official release. Pre-ordered the Walmart CD + Shirt deal. Will most likely pick up the Deluxe edition CD + DVD locally when it's available...

My biggest dilemma is tour tickets... tough call... New set of golf clubs or a two hour show of Van Halen w/ Diamond Dave. Both offer an element of mixed fun and frustration. One for a couple of hours the other for a couple of years... Damn I hate making these value decisions with a limited budget!!!
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                  My fun budget is getting hit with this VH activity...

Bought the exclusive Kiwi version of Tattoo a day before the official release.
                  Times must be hard if you are worried about $2

Comment

• Mr Walker
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by neuralfraud
                    In theory we should not be able to distinguish any distortions/etc in a recording done at 44kHz/16bits.

First let me delve into your statement regarding samplerate/precision

44,100 snapshots per SECOND.

Times 16 bits. What exactly is the "Bit depth" anyhow? You know this but many do not. It's basically the number values each sample can have. 1 sample is 1/44100th of a second; infinitesimal. That sample could have 65,536 possible values in total, but inreality it's gotta account for phase, so 32,767 either way.

Sounds like a lot, it is a lot... then there's 24-bit precision. It's safe to say that whatever the exact level/value for any particular sample will be recorded EXACTLY.

With that having been said, let's just go ahead and say that the recording should be fucking PERFECT. 44,100hz samplerate translates to an effective frequency range of 0-22,050 hz and for the sake of argument let's just say that encompasses the entire audible range of the human ear and then some.

NOW digest this motherfuckers!

In a nutshell, most cd players have shit for dac's and shit for filtering and the resulting audio image is shit. Anyone smart enough to possess a high-quality cd player with high resolution filtering SHOULD get much better imaging from the same source material..

But since we don't always own $8,000 digital-analog converters/filters, it's easier to buy turntables and enjoy analogue audio with all the nuances.

Thats anothing thing.. how many of us own peice of shit amplifiers/home theater systems? Most of these can barely handle the transients let alone sustained power required to listen to van halen at it's proper ear-bleeding level...

Getting rambly now, better stop. Check out the article and the rest of his site; extremely cool stuff and interesting stories from an engineer of a legendary audio and speaker manufacturer.
                    Wow... that made my brain hurt.

I'll by the CD/DVD somewhere on release day and then wait for PBTHAL to do his vinyl rip of it.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      Times must be hard if you are worried about $2
                      Who's worried... just tallying up the outlay. You know that's just the spark... it ain't gonna stop there!!

Comment

• mohican
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jul 2011

This may already been mentioned here - I didn't read all the posts. Barnes and Noble will also carry the CD and CD+DVD at the stores and online.

Comment

• lurker..
                          Full On Cocktard
                          • Jan 2012

this may be in the wrong area.......and i haven't seen it here yet...but livenation is selling a limited edition collector vinyl of "A different kind of truth" ???....here is the link:

if this is old news...i am sorry in advance..

Comment

• lurker..
                            Full On Cocktard
                            • Jan 2012

never mind....thanks for dropping me in the right area...looks like i am waaaay behind on my news....

Comment

• CDABOAT1
                              Groupie
                              • Dec 2011

Probably a stupid question but need help......

So... If I order ADKOT (Deluxe Version - $14.99) on iTunes, what am I actually getting? Is it just MP3's and videos of the downtown sessions? Or, are they sending me a hard copy CD and DVD?

I've never ordered a full album from iTunes so I'm not sure. I realize this is a basic question but I'm just not sure I'm 100% on what actually I'm getting in terms of hard copy and/or electronic copy.

Allright... your input appreciated.

Stay Frosty!

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I could be wrong but I assume they allow you to download the music and send/mail you a DVD.

Comment

Working...