Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vandeleur
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Sep 2009

On the subjecy of coal tattoo's my father in law has one , he got hit on the forehead with a shovel when he was an electrician down the pits ( when we used to have them), some bloke slipped and althout he has a scar it has a blackish line to it .
    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• academic punk
      Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

I'm *only a little* surprised, being that Dave can be so forthright in his feelings for his Judaism (don't believe me? Read his autobiography) that nowhere in the lyrics is some kind of reference to concentration camps. No biggie, but just as the union references gives the song added depth and diversity to what a tattoo can mean, it would've worked.

Then again, and the reason I say "only a little", hey, it's classic Van Halen. A forum to party and celebrate, not really the place to contemplate and wax philosophical about genocide and anti-semitism.

Comment

• vandeleur
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by academic punk
        I'm *only a little* surprised, being that Dave can be so forthright in his feelings for his Judaism (don't believe me? Read his autobiography) that nowhere in the lyrics is some kind of reference to concentration camps. No biggie, but just as the union references gives the song added depth and diversity to what a tattoo can mean, it would've worked.

Then again, and the reason I say "only a little", hey, it's classic Van Halen. A forum to party and celebrate, not really the place to contemplate and wax philosophical about genocide and anti-semitism.
        Am going with the groove and dirty vibe to the song .. think that would have brought it down with a bang

Comment

• academic punk
          Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
          Am going with the groove and dirty vibe to the song .. think that would have brought it down with a bang
          What? You don't think having the bridge suddenly turn into a dirge would've worked?

Comment

• clarathecarrot
            Full Member Status

• May 2010

There is a, cronic lyricosis, thread in the non or music-forum somewhere...lol.......-I'm your fetus-..ROTFLMMFAO...almost spewed my coffee...
            2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
            clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• vandeleur
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Sep 2009

That would be a no..........

Comment

• vandeleur
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by clarathecarrot
                There is a, cronic lyricosis, thread in the non or music-forum somewhere...lol.......-I'm your fetus-..ROTFLMMFAO...almost spewed my coffee...
                Had to look that up its class

Comment

• GreenEyedMurder
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Oct 2010

Also, Jews aren't supposed to get tattoos. Many Jewish cemeteries refuse to bury a body with tats.

Comment

• academic punk
                    Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by GreenEyedMurder
                    Also, Jews aren't supposed to get tattoos. Many Jewish cemeteries refuse to bury a body with tats.
                    If that even exists, it's only the mega-Orhtodox. The idea is you're supposed to leave this world the way you came into it. But, if that's the case, women (or men) who have pierced ears (or anything else) wouldn't be allowed in. And show me a single cemetery where that's the case.

And I can assure any Auschwitz survivor would be granted burial at any Jewish cemetery anywhere in the world.

(this diversion is quite the bummer. lets get back on track to the song)

Comment

• Golden AWe
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by GreenEyedMurder
                      I'm not writing a "instead, they get" and a "cheap group cemetary offer" -nazi joke here no matter how much you ask for it.
                      Originally posted by Cato
                      Golden, why are you FAT?
                      Originally posted by lesfunk
                      Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                      http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• if6was9
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by if6was9
                        Thanks. The song makes a lot more sense now. The first two verses are about tattoos people make for fun (verse 1) or to show off with their "false virtues" & other BS (verse 2), while the last verse is about tattoos that are actually "autobiographic" and mean something. Uncle Danny must have worked hard to "earn" his coal tatto, it was a real thing.
                        After another 20 re-litens I tend to believe that the last verse is an irony, too. The number on the guy's shoulder may have no real mening, but the guy backs it up with a "personal" story to impress a girl. This is just a number, so the back-up stories may vary - it may be a number of a ticket to VH gig or anything else, depending on the situation. Union ativist Uncle Danny sounds good, but he may be just another bullshit.

What do you think?
                        Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• academic punk
                          Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

What do you think?
                          I think you read too much into it.

Not that it at all is a bad idea - it's actually a pretty cool spin - just I don't see anything in the lyric to support the theory.

Comment

• VAiN
                            Use my hand, I won't look
                            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Actually, after a few more listens, I'm pretty sure the chorus is actually 'that-Jew that-Jew'..

But seriously, what an odd observation - you're actually surprised Dave doesn't sing about being a Jew? Really?
                            Originally posted by wiseguy
                            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Carmine
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2004

After another 20 re-litens I tend to believe that the last verse is an irony, too. The number on the guy's shoulder may have no real mening, but the guy backs it up with a "personal" story to impress a girl. This is just a number, so the back-up stories may vary - it may be a number of a ticket to VH gig or anything else, depending on the situation. Union ativist Uncle Danny sounds good, but he may be just another bullshit.

What do you think?
                              I think the meaning of the last verse is very clear...Union Activism, Union Member, Union Struggles, Chapter number for his Local tatt'd on his shoulder...but then again, I'm biased...

such is life when only a single is released...the dissection will not be so deep when there are 12 more songs released all at once when the album hits...

...well, it may take a little longer...

Comment

• academic punk
                                Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

ahahahahahaa..I'll never be able to hear that chorus the same way again!

I DID say only a little...but yeah. If you've read the book (and if you haven't, you should) it's not like he feels that he has anything to hide. And he made clear his religion to him was far more based on overcoming obstacles and defeating enemies than not having a glass of milk with pork roll. (well, then there's the issue of the pork roll...)

IN that sense a lyric like "If you tattoo a number on my arm, I'll put my fist in your face" could've worked just fine in the song: nothing too gory or even explicit, but definitely within the vibe of Eddie's riffs.

Comment

Working...