Warning: Undefined array key "birthday" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/notice.php on line 1 The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread. - The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a 'Can't Get This Stuff No More' B-side.

Comment

Couple of other observations...

The drum sound is good. Very much that brown sound...booming and strong.

Dave is doing that low-voice vocal underneath the chorus, doubling the higher-register vocal. I've never been crazy about him doing that. He did that a lot on later solo albums. This is one case I think Mikey's vocals doing "Ahh"s over the vocals would have really punched it.
      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish View Post
        Sounds like a 'Can't Get This Stuff No More' B-side.
        Love the fucking avatar.
        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

...and there is a little Hendrix as in Roth's If 6 was 9 in how he approached the verse but more uptempo
          I got lost in the...

Comment

Originally posted by Calderone View Post
            very good tune and catchy !!!!!!!
            i think it's a reworked version of down in flames !
            I noticed that too. It's different lyrically, but the riff the sample starts with is the same riff from Down In Flames. Wow. If She's The Woman and Tattoo/Down In Flames are both on the album, maybe the Ched Rocker was right about VH redoing old songs. Doesn't matter though, I am just damn excited to hear new VH with Dave!!!!!! Sammy can have Chickenshit, I'll take this version of VH anyday. VH's leftover demos are better than what anyone else is doing!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rikk View Post
              Couple of other observations...

The drum sound is good. Very much that brown sound...booming and strong.

Dave is doing that low-voice vocal underneath the chorus, doubling the higher-register vocal. I've never been crazy about him doing that. He did that a lot on later solo albums. This is one case I think Mikey's vocals doing "Ahh"s over the vocals would have really punched it.
              I don't think the guitar sounds 'brown' but it did jump out at me because it sounded "full." I'm sitting here waiting for triple-layered guitars on the album because I think Ed fired off his wad years ago (and by listening to the 2 new ones from '96). The tone sounded like something from when Dave just left VH back in the mid-80s.

Comment

...and take a look at the artwork to the cover of the single of Tattoo...it looks like Dave's own art
                I got lost in the...

Comment

I noticed that , seems like Dave is in full command this time (artwork and everything) and that's when it really works !
                  i can listen to a 1984-like synth on the background which sounds KILLER in the mix ! i love that too !

Comment

Wow.... I like it! I really hate when bands don't evolve.... that's what makes U2 timeless, they evolve. Thumbs up so far!
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/Chickies.jpg

Comment

Too brief a snippet to pass judgement, but it sure sounds like post-Ritchie Blackmore Deep Purple to me - like something off "Bananas".
                      http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...oker-small.jpg

Comment

Another thing I noticed looking at the clip on Amazon - it's the UK Amazon - is that the label is listed as Polydor. A venerable old UK label that once had The Who and Hendrix.

Seems it is part of the Universal empire - so, this new album may come out in the UK on that imprint / label.

There's nothing about VH on their website, however - but it's maybe worth keeping an eye on it over the next few weeks in case there is any promo stuff pertaining specifically to the UK: http://www.polydor.co.uk/
                        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

Yeah, it sounds like Roth solo stuff. But that's ok I LIKE Roth's solo stuff and it sounds like good Roth solo stuff. I say that because the guitar in the snippet just isn't distintive at all. I'm sure the complete song paints a different picture.
                          "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Sounds like real van halen

Comment

We have not even heard the EDWARD solo yet!!! its a long song so away we go! Cant wait for the 10th and the 7th!

Comment

No doubt, it's leaving me wanting more!
                                You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Comment

Working...
                                X