The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78/84 guy
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by WARF
    Okay my Roth Army soldiers... what do you think of the song based on a minute thirty???
    It didn't knock me out, but it's damn good !! It's going to be a long month waiting for the album ! I think if the album sounds like a mix of Eat Em' & Skyscraper I will love it. It's not going to sound like any of the 6 pack. Not even the older demos they use.

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

My spin WARF?

Not missing Mikey....the "Oooh Ahhhhh" vocals are dated...just listened to MWM....don't miss 'em a bit

that being said...turn up EVH & WOLF in the back ground.....

good song....wish the rythym guitar was a bit more envolved.....but it has that ROTH groove we haven't heard from EVH in ages....cuz Spammy ain't got no James Brown in him....Spam might just be the Anti-James Brown.....

the production on the tune is strong....paid off getting the younger "Trendy" producers....everything sounds crystal clear....drums & bass have a hella groove....

Lyrics are the best thing abou the tune...right out of the gate DAVE drops the hammer.....& it gets BETTER the more I listen to it!!!

EVH's solo is good...not the "falling down the stairs & hitting the ground running"....but good enough to drop al the pretenders to the throne in their tracks.....

Makes me hope this is just like "JUMP" from 1984....cuz the rest of the CD will be Fraking KILLER....if it just maintains this level I'll be jazzed....it'll be better than 90% of the "comebacks" older bands make......

I'm with you...it isn't gonna be the work of even 30 yr old firebrands....this is a HALL OF FAME BAND....a few more gems & I'll be content....still can't believe they finally did it...after all these years

Comment

• WARF
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
        That is obviously going to be the case on the whole record. It's not going to have that classic VH backing blend
        Roth still has the charisma in his voice. He REALLY needs Michael Anthony to back him up now. Wolfgang sounded great LIVE at Cafe Wha? , I hope on the rest of the album he can atleast emulate Michael Anthonys' style... I am still listening to it over and over... I want to love this song more than anyone!!!!

Maybe the video will have a shitload of midgets to help the single!
        Last edited by WARF; 01-09-2012, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• glimmer1984
          Roth Army Recruit
          • Jan 2012

The song is very subtle indeed...grows on you. Takes a few listens to really like it...it really reminds me of And The Cradle Will Rock, but a bit more pop sounding.

Comment

• lesfunk
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

The layered harmonies have a Beach Boys kind of vibe..
            http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Roth at his age wouldn't mind some Michael Anthony background vocal power to strengthen up his vocals...
              They've had to double Dave instead. Judging by the Cafe Wha? gig Wolfie can now sing a bit, I'm not so sure about Dad.

I think the cult of Michael Antony is getting a bit out of hand here but especially elsewhere on the internet. I don't think his bass playing will be missed now and it's a shame he's not there but his singing didn't save a fuck of a lot of shitty music over the Van Hagar years and still doesn't in Chickenfoot. He remains probably the least important of the 4 original members.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Apr 2005

I'm listening through tiny speakers and it sounds full !! I can't wait to have the cd to blast and piss off the lady next door ! She will here it ! It's great, great lyric's from Dave. It's what I was expecting from guy's not in their 20's anymore. It will be nice to have a modern VH album to toss on once in awhile.

Comment

• bru87tr
                  Commando
                  • Apr 2004

One listen to the 1:20 clip and I was sold.

I had doubts when I heard the 30 second clip, but when I heard the longer clip, that was it. First listen to that one and I was hooked.

The song is definitely above expectations as I didn't think from that 30 second clip that the chorus was going to jump out like that.

I am totally blown away that it was way better than I thought it was going to be.
                  "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• WARF
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Goodnight guys!

I am going to bed.

When I wake up, I better fucking see on youtube.... David Lee Roth doing backwards somersaults... a pile of fucking midgets... big titty women in thongs... Eddie hangin upsidedown from a vine... and wolfgang fired out of a fucking cannonball...

The TATTOO video better kick ass!!!
                    Last edited by WARF; 01-09-2012, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
                      Doing the same......for the same reason!

Great excuse to get drunk and party till midnight!
                      That's the excuse I'm using too! Who woulda thought that a new Van Halen record would put me in rehab???
                      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• slage33
                        Full On Cocktard
                        • Nov 2004

The song fucking rocks!!!!!

Comment

• moose
                          Veteran
                          • Mar 2004

Waiting until tomorrow to buy via the Army
                          ;-)

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Okay my Roth Army soldiers... what do you think of the song based on a minute thirty???

Still awaiting midnite, but from the 90 sec clip it sounds like Dave (a great thing)

Only thing I'm missing is the EVH guitar play tapping, scream, whelps, etc that he always adds all over the place in a song. From the 90 sec clip you can't really tell it's EVH. And I love a 'bored' EVH when he does all the little things throughout a song.

But I really dig the tune and I'm sure there will be plenty of EVH to listen through.
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                              ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

The song from the solo onwards picks up steam big time. Very cool tune.
                              sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                                I always thought they sounded like Van Hagar songs with Roth singing and lyrics, this doesn't which is the biggest relief.
                                In a lot of ways, this is true regarding the '96 tracks.

Most of the lyrics on MWM are not even Dave's ("....I know what you're thinking...." That is not Dave).

CGTSNM has a more CVH vibe to it, however, we all know Dave wrote the lyrics in anger over the lies that were coming out the VH camp at the time.
                                =V V=
                                ole No.1 The finest
                                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...