The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

I don't think you'll get flamed for expressing an opinion.

Can you elaborate on 'boring'?
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• K-tuna
      Groupie
      • Jan 2012

Just the whole slow thumping BG synths felt like it kinda dragged down the song . Its sorta like the bass beginning of "'devil" but if they had that bit running throughout the song.

Best way I can explain my feeling is like how I was hyped to hear "Me Wise Magic" because it was a different approach for Dave , but its still was a 'Halen rocker...but was a bit underwhelmed by " Can't get this stuff".

It could be i was just so impressed by the how cool "STW" sounded at Cafe Wha...its a high bar to meet ...

It might be a great song if I heard the whole, but I just think that for them to knock everyone speechless they should lead with their first single being as badass as possible.
      Last edited by K-tuna; 01-09-2012, 10:38 AM. Reason: grammar
      "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• So this is love
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

Sometimes it takes more hearing to appreciate...anyways we will get 11 more songs shortly...Tattoo maybe inline with the like of DTNA and I`ll wait...After 28 years anything will do for me, I like She`s the woman.
        Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
          ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

I will give you this K-tuna,You got balls
          I really love you baby, I love what you've got
          Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

From the preview, the pace of the song is more akin to You're No Good (Down in Flames), etc.

Cool.
            =V V=
            ole No.1 The finest
            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• PanamaHat
              Roth Army Recruit
              • Jan 2012

Thanks a million to VH-UK for the link to the NZ site. I purchased it there with credit card and it worked just fine. Could not wait until tomorrow in the age of Internet when it was available for purchase legally (and all the regional restrictions are just nonsense).

The song is EXCELLENT! The 30-second preview clip was promising but this is a lot better. Takes the best parts of Down in Flames and then improves significantly. Great groove, strong/catchy chorus, best Eddie riffs in a long time, long solo, good lyrics, outstanding production all around. Let's see tomorrow how it looks with the video and all.

Hopefully this will bring the boys back to charts/radio/TV/YouTube/etc. for the general public too rather than just the core fans. Cannot wait for the full album and to see the guys in concert...
              My Van Halen / David Lee Roth concerts: 1988 - Helsinki, Finland; 1993 - Stockholm, Sweden; 1995 - London, UK; 1998 - Melbourne, Australia; 2004 - Toronto, Canada; 2007 - Greensboro, NC. Upcoming - Chicago, IL (Feb 24th)!!

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
                Commando
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by K-tuna
                Listened to the longer preview.

Im gonna take the fire now, but im not digging it. It sounds boring and forced. I know I'll dig more of the album if "Shes's The Woman" type rockers are on there. I think it was a bad idea to lead with this song instead of STW.

Its like the A&R guy telling them to lead with "Fools" instead of " Take Your Whiskey...".

I'll give it chance though....

Let the vitriol commence.....
                I hear what you're sayin' K-tuna. I'm not really diggin "Tattoo" myself.... As long as I get at least one tune on the disc that burns like "She's the Woman" though I'll be happy. With 12 more to listen to there's an excellent chance.
                [

Comment

• K-tuna
                  Groupie
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by So this is love
                  Sometimes it takes more hearing to appreciate...anyways we will get 11 more songs shortly...Tattoo maybe inline with the like of DTNA and I`ll wait...After 28 years anything will do for me, I like She`s the woman.
                  Oh yeah... I'll give it another chance, if anything, just for the fact its NOT a cover of that horrible WHO song like some folks over at VHND were guessing. LOL
                  "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• kwame k
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Feb 2008

Not trying to be an apologist here but......

They may have felt the need to have a Jump type song as a single because that was their most successful single to date. Either pressure from themselves or from the record company.

Regrettably, the casual fan or music listening population, probably knows Jump better than anything else the band has done
                    Originally posted by vandeleur
                    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• vanhalenuk
                      Full On Cocktard
                      • Jan 2012

Song is still available from the NZ site selling it earlier - also number 1 in their download chart!

Boring is the last word i'd use to describe it...

Comment

• So this is love
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2012

I don`t mind the Jump, DTNA and such songs if thats what brings the chicks to the concert for our enjoyment...
                        Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by kwame k

They may have felt the need to have a Jump type song as a single because that was their most successful single to date. Either pressure from themselves or from the record company.

Regrettably, the casual fan or music listening population, probably knows Jump better than anything else the band has done
                          That's true.

However, I would guess that the casual listener also knows VH from the following:

You Really Got Me
                          Runnin With the Devil
                          Dance the Night Away
                          Everybody Wants Some
                          (oh) Pretty Woman
                          Panama
                          Hot For Teacher
                          =V V=
                          ole No.1 The finest
                          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• kwame k
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by So this is love
                            I don`t mind the Jump, DTNA and such songs if thats what brings the chicks to the concert for our enjoyment...
                            Sacrifices have to be made.........

If you really look at it.....this band has been all over the charts as far a musical styles....they've done everything from Barbershop Quartet, Swing, and all points in between. So having a catchy pop tune is nothing new.

BTW, I'm not comparing the new single to Jump.....just the fact it seems from a 30 sec clip that it's more pop than CVH rip your head off rock.......who knows! I'm hoping I have to eat a huge bowl of crow tomorrow!
                            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                              That's true.

However, I would guess that the casual listener also knows VH from the following:

You Really Got Me
                              Runnin With the Devil
                              Dance the Night Away
                              Everybody Wants Some
                              (oh) Pretty Woman
                              Panama
                              Hot For Teacher
                              Yeah, that's a pretty good list!

1984 being the last thing they did and their biggest album next to VH I......more of those songs would make a list.....I'd agree and people would remember those songs before say.....a Sinner's Swing and such.

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by kwame k

Who'd a thunk it - a smart drummer?
                                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...