The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    That's true.

However, I would guess that the casual listener also knows VH from the following:

You Really Got Me
    Runnin With the Devil
    Dance the Night Away
    Everybody Wants Some
    (oh) Pretty Woman
    Panama
    Hot For Teacher
    and Jamies Cryin. But the people I have educated over the years never think of those first. Once I remind them by playing it, they go "Oh yeah! I love this tune".
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

"Uncle Danny had a coal tattoo, he fought for the unions, Some of Us Still Do!"

DAVE.......the FARKING MAN!!!!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

I don't compare it to something...just take it as what it is...aged music from an aged band...I don't expect songs from guys pushing 60 that you can jump off a drumraiser to...have an open mind...
        Roth Army Icon
        First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• kwame k
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by binnie
          Who'd a thunk it - a smart drummer?
          Nah...it's more of a.......a broken clock is right twice a day, kinda thang
          Originally posted by vandeleur
          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• So this is love
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

I hear you and I have never been disappointed by VH records or shows with DLR.
            Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

Just downloaded the thing from the NZ site.................

gonna take a few spins............

liking it BETTER than MWM..........almost as much as CGTSNM...............

Would love to see the lyrics............

BAND sounds inspired.........

it "grooves"...and we KNOW who's responsable for that!!!

Comment

• kwame k
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                I don't compare it to something...just take it as what it is...aged music from an aged band...I don't expect songs from guys pushing 60 that you can jump off a drumraiser to...have an open mind...
                I've said it before but......I'm just hoping for a mature sound with a nod to the past but not trying to be a parody of their former selves.........why remake Fair Warning or try to write WACF II. It's been done and when bands try to do that they almost always fail.
                E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Cruiser
                  Groupie
                  • Jan 2012

It says it doesn't take paypal or international credit cards....how did you purchase??

Comment

• Matt White
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Cruiser
                    It says it doesn't take paypal or international credit cards....how did you purchase??
                    I just put in the requested info and VIOLA................TATTOO, TATTOO!!!

Comment

• fourthcoming

Just purchased the full length "Tattoo".....shit rocks. I wasn't expecting So this is love, Fools, or D.O.A. It's Van Halen for the new millenium and it rocks. Dave's voice sounds friggin great, Ed's tone has changed for the better, and his solo is killer. I'm happy with the tune. I'm thinking it's a radio friendly tune...not that I care if it's played on the radio or not cuz once the complete cd comes out there probably won't be a need for me to listen to fm radio, sports talk radio or anything else for a while. Interesting to hear how the tune ends with a quasi- version of the original intro to Down In Flames (your no good)....very cool stuff.

Comment

• Matt White
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
                        I've said it before but......I'm just hoping for a mature sound with a nod to the past but not trying to be a parody of their former selves.........why remake Fair Warning or try to write WACF II. It's been done and when bands try to do that they almost always fail.
                        I think that's what this is........

The subtle keys as opposed to the keyboard being the main riff......and no more "You're a guitar hero, get away from that keyboard" either.............

Comment

• fourthcoming

Originally posted by kwame k
                          Hey man, just wanted to say I couldn't agree with you more. Just heard the tune in it's entirity and I'm happy with the direction this band is heading in.

Comment

• kwame k
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by vanhalenuk
                            Guys you can buy the mp3 here - ignore the warning about not being in NZ and enjoy.

http://www.digirama.co.nz/albumdetai...ediaID=3109789

Nice....thanks bro

On my second listen now.........

Comment

• So this is love
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2012

Sounds good!
                              Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• kwame k
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Matt White
                                I think that's what this is........

The subtle keys as opposed to the keyboard being the main riff......and no more "You're a guitar hero, get away from that keyboard" either.............
                                Ha! I'm fucking digging it and I agree, the keyboards are a subtle accent not a predominant part of the song!

Yes, I'm enjoying a heaping bowl of crow right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...