The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I'm not paying anything for something I can hear for free on the radio tomorrow. I'll wait till the damn album comes out. Been waiting this long a few more days won't kill me.

Comment

• kwame k
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by fourthcoming
      Hey man, just wanted to say I couldn't agree with you more. Just heard the tune in it's entirity and I'm happy with the direction this band is heading in.
      x's 2

Third listening...in 5...4...3....2......1! "I got Elvis on my elbow".....fucking classic Dave
      Originally posted by vandeleur
      E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• fourthcoming

amen!

Comment

• kwame k
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Jagermeister
          I'm not paying anything for something I can hear for free on the radio tomorrow. I'll wait till the damn album comes out. Been waiting this long a few more days won't kill me.
          Not a bad idea, bro!

I just wanted to shut Ed up when he said, "Why put out new music, the fans will just steal it anyways", well Ed.......at least I bought the fucking single!

First single I've bought in decades, BTW!
          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Matt White
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
            Not a bad idea, bro!

I just wanted to shut Ed up when he said, "Why put out new music, the fans will just steal it anyways", well Ed.......at least I bought the fucking single!

First single I've bought in decades, BTW!
            Same here K...........

*MESSAGE* TO EVH: Put out music PEOPLE WANT TO HEAR*

"Build it & they will come..........."

Translation: DAVID LEE ROTH + Von HALEN BROS= $ALES!!!

Comment

• Cruiser
              Groupie
              • Jan 2012

Nice work Matt, you were correct and currently jamming to Tattoo as I type!

Comment

• kwame k
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Matt White
                Same here K...........

*MESSAGE* TO EVH: Put out music PEOPLE WANT TO HEAR*

"Build it & they will come..........."

Translation: DAVID LEE ROTH + Von HALEN BROS= $ALES!!!
                Outstanding, Mr White!

Did ya notice the publishing......

The Three Twins LLC and DDE, Inc! Ha!

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                  Veteran
                  • Feb 2004

I'm painfully jealous of everyone getting to download / hear the tune in its entirety....I'm at work. No downloading allowed here.
                  I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

x's 2

Third listening...in 5...4...3....2......1! "I got Elvis on my elbow".....fucking classic Dave
                    btw? where is Elvis pissing on the parade and telling us how this all sucks and that there are farts of Michael Anthony piped in backward that only he can hear?
                    Roth Army Icon
                    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• kwame k
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                      btw? where is Elvis pissing on the parade and telling us how this all sucks and that there are farts of Michael Anthony piped in backward that only he can hear?
                      ELVIS had a meltdown and got banned.......but word on the street is he'll be back

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004

I'll be waiting till tomorrow as well.

Who remembers who read "Tattoo" on Dave's and Ed's lips in the promo clip?

I mean, there were two us if I remember well, but I can't recall who exactly...
                        Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 01-09-2012, 01:42 PM.
                        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

1st full listen... Kick ASS tune!!

Got that classic Van Halen/Diamond Dave vibe all over it.

The bass work is rock solid. You don't even notice the synth fills... way back in the mix. Drums have the pure Brown Sound... first snare beat is pure Alex. Ed's guitar work is stellar, smooth, buttery and killer ballsy tone!!

Dave's melodies and lyrical work is some of his best ever. Creates a visual landscape from the lyrics... salt of the earth type of vibe.

Backing vocals are completely new sounding... very smooth and much more of a low register range. No one is trying to replicate Mike's backing vocals. Still has that VH pop feel... but totally new sound to it!!!
                          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• if6was9
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Mar 2007

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I've found a review on Ultimate Classic Rock. Probably the first one. It basically says that the song is a "grower".

Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

ELVIS had a meltdown and got banned.......but word on the street is he'll be back
                              You can always check out... but you can never leave...
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                                1st full listen... Kick ASS tune!!

Got that classic Van Halen/Diamond Dave vibe all over it.

The bass work is rock solid. You don't even notice the synth fills... way back in the mix. Drums have the pure Brown Sound... first snare beat is pure Alex. Ed's guitar work is stellar, smooth, buttery and killer ballsy tone!!

Dave's melodies and lyrical work is some of his best ever. Creates a visual landscape from the lyrics... salt of the earth type of vibe.

Backing vocals are completely new sounding... very smooth and much more of a low register range. No one is trying to replicate Mike's backing vocals. Still has that VH pop feel... but totally new sound to it!!!
                                Hey Zah,

What are the chances Tattoo will crack the Billboard top ten? (and I aint talking the mainstream rock chart - the actual Billboard chart).
                                =V V=
                                ole No.1 The finest
                                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...