Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

I am the party
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Wow..... Even here??

I know I am new and all, but jeeeez louizzzze. More negativity than I would have ever thought from this place of worship... Whatever, I love the tune bigtime..And I think the video is cool.. Could it have been better, yeah.. So what, I am thrilled to see my idol next to the greatest guitar player in the world.. And, they are both pumped, psyced and in synch... On an even better note, just got my tixx for BOSTON, amex pre sale. Loge 4 row 9 seats 8-11... Pinch me, does xmas really last this long......

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    we should discuss this in the "Lyric" thread
    good point
    fuck your fucking framing

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    K - Tuna >>>I STILL think strategically, this song being the first release was a bad move...ESPECIALLY because of the good will they got in the press after the Cafe Wha' performance. Yeah , I know this was concrete before the gig, but i woulda scrambled to get STW out there instead.

I kind of agree with you on this part myself.

I think they wanted to release a new tune..not a reworked old song..I think it blew their minds at Cafe Wha that people ( WARF ) was/were yelling the song title at them..Dave clearly calls it " brand new"..its not truly

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Girl View Post

I haven't had MTV/VH1 for over 7 years, so I don't even know the last time I saw a music video.

I HAVE had MTV the last 7 years and I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a music video.

Music videos aren't for TV anymore, they're for the Internet. MTV had a directional choice way long ago. They chose unwisely.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm not sure I understand the negativity. To each their own I guess.

My thinking is that the groove/riff is derived from Down in Flames/You're No Good -- so if you ever liked those two songs....there is a good chance you'll like Tattoo.

Its a great single IMO. They needed something catchy. And I think Tattoo does just that.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    K - Tuna >>>I STILL think strategically, this song being the first release was a bad move...ESPECIALLY because of the good will they got in the press after the Cafe Wha' performance. Yeah , I know this was concrete before the gig, but i woulda scrambled to get STW out there instead.

I kind of agree with you on this part myself.

Thanks for that. I know some things probably were set in stone for Itunes , the vid being done and what not, but I'd woulda asked the label to push to STW out there because that performace at the club and the new song is hot ...

But this idea assumes that the majority would think "Tatttoo" was weak. That remains to be seen.

I want them to do well and this album to smoke and shoot up the charts. I want them to shove this in Slammys face with a big ol "FU".

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Spider View Post
    Van Halen - Tattoo from Van Halen on Vimeo.

Has it been 5 pages yet?

Fuck it.

I am the party
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Good times

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the negativity. To each their own I guess.

My thinking is that the groove/riff is derived from Down in Flames/You're No Good -- so if you ever liked those two songs....there is a good chance you'll like Tattoo.

Its a great single IMO. They needed something catchy. And I think Tattoo does just that.
    Without doubt....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Guys this is just constructive criticism, no negativity on our part, we love DLR/VH, its in our blood. Its a full course meal, this is the entre and 11 more to come, I know the restaurant is great, been there before.
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    we should discuss this in the "Lyric" thread
    Thanks for pointing out that we had one, was just about to post about the lyrics in this thread.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I HAVE had MTV the last 7 years and I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a music video.

Music videos aren't for TV anymore, they're for the Internet. MTV had a directional choice way long ago. They chose unwisely.
    MTV is just showing cheesy and embarassing reality shows these days, they really ought to change their name...

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Guys this is just constructive criticism, no negativity on our part, we love DLR/VH, its in our blood. Its a full course meal, this is the entre and 11 more to come, I know the restaurant is great, been there before.
    Its all good, man.

CVH music always had the uncanny ability to hit the sweet spot, ya know? I think Tattoo does just that. IMO of course.

Maybe in 28 years time everyone will think its a classic. LOL

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Its all good, man.

CVH music always had the uncanny ability to hit the sweet spot, ya know? I think Tattoo does just that. IMO of course.

Maybe in 28 years time everyone will think its a classic. LOL
    Lol yeah! just go back in time when Jump and I'll wait came up I don't remember the chronology of the singles back then but I'm sure a surprise it was....And no I'm not comparing Tattoo to them two. and no classics either for me...but what was the reaction back then from the die hard rockers...???? Lets give them sometime... they probably know what they're doing lol

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Guys...to those who haven't really jived on this tune yet. Let me say this. It took me 20 years before I truly appreciated Push Comes To Shove. And then for a period of 2 years it was my all time favorite song. That's the thing with VH. The songs are constantly moving around on your like-love list.

by the way, right now it's currently Sinners Swing.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lol yeah! just go back in time when Jump and I'll wait came up I don't remember the chronology of the singles back then but I'm sure a surprise it was....And no I'm not comparing Tattoo to them two. and no classics either for me...but what was the reaction back then from the die hard rockers...???? Lets give them sometime... they probably know what they're doing lol
    I agree with this. Imagine had there been internet when the Jump single came out. LOL.. ...But the 1984 album proved to be full of rockers, I think thats how this will play out.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by K-tuna View Post
    I bought the single.
    Also, I really don't need Dave to tell me about the Unions ( their purpose is fine but their leadership are thugs and bullies ) and his politics. ( BTW---this verse wasn't in the preview or else I would've brought it up then and to be fair , I don't wanna hear any musicians, writers, sports figures or actors politics--- I listen to music to get away from that crap).

:P
    Umm, the verses are telling the "stories" and themes from OTHER Peoples Tattoos and Their Ideas for having the tatoo. I am sure some other person Told Dave about his uncle DANNY. Does Dave have an uncle Danny? Nope. Dave does not have an Elvis Elbow tatoo nor a hula ect ect. So he is not telling about HIS politics, he is just talking about moments in time for Other people. Gees, not everything said is literal.

Does Dave right now have his back against the record machine just because he is singing "Jump"?

Makes me wonder if people are even required to take literature classes anymore....
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 01-10-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They're currently playing Tattoo here on the radio right now and they're waiting for the peoples reaction...Result 60-40 for, its getting better
    Last edited by So this is love; 01-10-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    @SNIUSINUS'ss...or whatever the fahk you're named.
    Dude, don't treat me like a moron. I get that ,But i don't need to be force fed union stuff, regardless. It wouldn't be in the song if he wasn't making a point.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know what Ed's guitar solo is great in Tattoo,Tattoo!!!!!!

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know what Ed's guitar solo is great in Tattoo,Tattoo!!!!!!
    Agreed. Guitar and Drums are solid without a doubt.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dude, don't treat me like a moron. I get that ,But i don't need to be force fed union stuff, regardless. It wouldn't be in the song if he wasn't making a point.

Sun is in us. same forwards as backwards. Yeah, it fucked with me for a while too. As for the union verse, meh. You may be overthinking it. But yes, I seriously hate when musicians or actors get political. STFU & do your craft. But this verse doesn't bother me. I see it as more of describing a tattoos importance to some people rather than the tramp stamp for fun. You know, union, military, gang, etc....Those type of tattoos carry a lot more meaning than the drunken Vegas one weekend Sonic The Hedgehog smoking a bong tat on your chest. (Yes, a guy I know had that done. Chronic the Hemphog)

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Tattoo an Shes The Woman are arena songs meant to get the crowd pumpin their digits in the air with catchy hooks...works for me... STW has a catchier lick though

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Calm Down and read. Re-read it again. He is telling a Story about someone else, not him. If you don't like Artists to mention imagined situations, please, do not ever participate in Art again.

Here just sing this: "My Uncle Tuna Had a tatoo...it said I love Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity too!" Problem Solved for you. Or like Sadaist said, make up your own Tatoo story there, like a gang one

We Golden?

Stay Frosty!

Last edited by SunisinuS; 01-10-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I like it. It's good...

Is it six pack good? No, but it's better than jump, but not as good as say, Thug Pop, for instance...

It kinda has a solo Dave vibe to it, mostly due to the lack of Michael Anthony...

And it is a reworked Down In Flames right down to the guitar solo...

But it's a good catchy tune with cool lyrics...

I give it an eight because it has a good beat and I can dance to it...

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sun is in us. same forwards as backwards. Yeah, it fucked with me for a while too. As for the union verse, meh. You may be overthinking it. But yes, I seriously hate when musicians or actors get political. STFU & do your craft. But this verse doesn't bother me. I see it as more of describing a tattoos importance to some people rather than the tramp stamp for fun. You know, union, military, gang, etc....Those type of tattoos carry a lot more meaning than the drunken Vegas one weekend Sonic The Hedgehog smoking a bong tat on your chest. (Yes, a guy I know had that done. Chronic the Hemphog)
    After reading the lyrics posted by Golden Awe I have this to say. Dave may have really meant that, as he was a paramedic in NYC. Most likely a strong union group. Then again it may have just rhymed out that way. I don't know but I can see the reasoning behind it if he did mean it. I don't see that as being political.
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 01-10-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    After 28 years of waiting, I can't believe this song did not let me down one bit. It's fun, they didn't overdo it by trying too hard, has DLR doing his thing, and an Eddie solo like a truck roaring down a mountain. It completely surpassed my expectations.

I was expecting complete mediocrity--triple layered guitars, shitty background vocals, Dave wailing away too much, Alex banging on everything he could reach... none of that happened. So maybe I think it's so outstanding because my expectations were so low. After the third listen I felt tears of rock joy!!!!

Dave should have taken his shirt off in the video--that bastard is ripped! But he would have made that porker Wolfgang (call me Chaz Bono) look bad!

I think my only criticism of the song is before the second chorus I could have used a traditional WOW! from Dave instead of the more subdued WHOO. But I guess it's in the spirit of not trying too hard.

This song made my day, week and year (OK, counting 2011, too). I DL'd it this morning and would have paid $15 for it. Catfish is very happy.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I posted my impression over at Talkbass.com. I will get flamed for sure. I didn't know so many sheep played bass. Oh well, It's getting mostly trounced over there. You'd think MA was Dr. Martin Luther King, Ghandi and Elvis to those dudes. LOL

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Id like to be the first to make a lame joke about Van Halen writing a song about, or not having clips of the little guy from Fantasy Island in the video, but I'm probably not.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Also, I really don't need Dave to tell me about the Unions ( their purpose is fine but their leadership are thugs and bullies ) and his politics. ( BTW---this verse wasn't in the preview or else I would've brought it up then and to be fair , I don't wanna hear any musicians, writers, sports figures or actors politics--- I listen to music to get away from that crap).
    I very much agree with you on celebrities using their status as a pedestal to give their opinion. It’s why I never got into Rage. It’s why I think Sean Penn, while a great actor, is a total douche bagger. However, I don’t think Dave is saying “UNIONS ARE AWESOME!” Pretty sure he’s just telling the stories behind tattoos (and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have a union tat).

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    Calm Down and read. Re-read it again. He is telling a Story about someone else, not him. If you don't like Artists to mention imagined situations, please, do not ever participate in Art again.

Here just sing this: "My Uncle Tuna Had a tatoo...it said I love Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity too!" Problem Solved for you. Or like Sadaist said, make up your own Tatoo story there, like a gang one

We Golden?

Stay Frosty!

Ah a supreme douchebag of the highest order. I see.

Thats why you got your lady parts in wad. Continue to suck on the teets of mediocrity and stupidity and I'll engage in more mature conversation elsewhere.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    After 28 years of waiting, I can't believe this song did not let me down one bit. It's fun, they didn't overdo it by trying too hard, has DLR doing his thing, and an Eddie solo like a truck roaring down a mountain. It completely surpassed my expectations.

I was expecting complete mediocrity--triple layered guitars, shitty background vocals, Dave wailing away too much, Alex banging on everything he could reach... none of that happened. So maybe I think it's so outstanding because my expectations were so low. After the third listen I felt tears of rock joy!!!!

Dave should have taken his shirt off in the video--that bastard is ripped! But he would have made that porker Wolfgang (call me Chaz Bono) look bad!

I think my only criticism of the song is before the second chorus I could have used a traditional WOW! from Dave instead of the more subdued WHOO. But I guess it's in the spirit of not trying too hard.

This song made my day, week and year (OK, counting 2011, too). I DL'd it this morning and would have paid $15 for it. Catfish is very happy.
    Chaz Bono?

That's below the belt, even for you.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    racist even...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BumBahDeeDah View Post
    Id like to be the first to make a lame joke about Van Halen writing a song about, or not having clips of the little guy from Fantasy Island in the video, but I'm probably not.
    lol its all part of the marketing scheme...vh fans are fantasy island fans

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JJtheVagPounder View Post
    I very much agree with you on celebrities using their status as a pedestal to give their opinion. It’s why I never got into Rage. It’s why I think Sean Penn, while a great actor, is a total douche bagger. However, I don’t think Dave is saying “UNIONS ARE AWESOME!” Pretty sure he’s just telling the stories behind tattoos (and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have a union tat).

Unlike what @dickinhisSINUSES' would have you believe, I get that, but dave wouldn't have made that in there if he wasn't making a point...he could have chosen a dozen other things. ...But You got the broader point even if that point was a small part of a larger critique.
    Last edited by K-tuna; 01-10-2012 at 01:51 PM.

STAY FROSTY
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    After reading the lyrics posted by Golden Awe I have this to say. Dave may really meant that as he was a paramedic in NYC. Most likely a strong union group.
    I thought exactly the same. Dave may be rich but he's not afraid to work like an average Joe. And he probably knows what he's talking about in this Uncle Danny verse.
    Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Love it. Listened to it about 10+ times, on computer and through hi-fi at full blast.

But here's the weird thing - just heard it being played on the radio, and Al's distinctive snare 'tonk' comes through more than it did on the big speakers and on the computer!

And it sounds mighty impressive in the middle of all the other stuff they are playing - leaps out as dirty groove thang.

Dave is back.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Unlike what @dickinhisSINUSUES would have you believe, I get that, but dave wouldn't have made that in there if he wasn't making a point...he could have chosen a dozen other things. ...But You got the broader point .
    Ok what's going on here? It usually takes a new guy at least 100 posts before they start doing the old "screw with your username" trick.
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 01-10-2012 at 01:49 PM.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    racist even...

EELLVVIISS!!!!

Good to see you man.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As far as negativity goes, I read the funniest comment on one news site reporting on Tattoo.

I say funniest because it was such an absurd comment.

"Complete rip-off of Down in Flames. Pathetic."

LMAO!!!

I don't know where to begin with that one. I mean, if that is the case then Ed has been ripping himself off since 1978.

But wait a minute, shouldn't Tattoo be ripoff of You're No Good?? LOL!

Or maybe that was a ripoff of a Linda Ronstadt song.

lol lol lol lol
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 01-10-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    EELLVVIISS!!!!

Good to see you man.
    Check out my ass-kissin' thread in main...

Thread Information