Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    I posted my impression over at Talkbass.com. I will get flamed for sure. I didn't know so many sheep played bass. Oh well, It's getting mostly trounced over there. You'd think MA was Dr. Martin Luther King, Ghandi and Elvis to those dudes. LOL
    Les--to me the song REINFORCES that Ed played bass on all the VH albums, because it sounds the exact same! He's holding Wolf's dick just like he held Mikey's all those years!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Check out my ass-kissin' thread in main...

Aww shit man. I haven't left this Tattoo thread in days. I need a shower.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Union reference doesn't bother me. Unions definitely had their place back in the day when owners did not give a crap about employee's Health, Wealth, etc. and workers fought to earn the right. As far as today, it's certainly debatable so "some of us still do" doesn't mean Dave does, in my view just an observation. My state of Wisconsin is right in the middle of that with our Governor and his recall looming. "TATTOO" is starting to grow on me, it's taken a few listens and I haven't heard it on a good sound system yet so I'm sure it's going to get even better!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Les--to me the song REINFORCES that Ed played bass on all the VH albums, because it sounds the exact same! He's holding Wolf's dick just like he held Mikey's all those years!
    To be honest, i kind of assumed that Ed would play bass on the new album anyway. But The Cafe WARF clips show Wolfgang ripping it up live fer sure

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Somebody probably already mentioned this, but the guitar fade out at the end reminds me a lot of You're No Good, right around the 2:38 mark...
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    Love it. Listened to it about 10+ times, on computer and through hi-fi at full blast.

But here's the weird thing - just heard it being played on the radio, and Al's distinctive snare 'tonk' comes through more than it did on the big speakers and on the computer!

And it sounds mighty impressive in the middle of all the other stuff they are playing - leaps out as dirty groove thang.

Dave is back.
    Dimwits - as mentioned in last post. It has just been played on 'Planet Rock' in the UK, and - after about 10 mins - the DJ Nicky Horne has just read out a bunch of slag Facebook messages (on the Planet Rock Facebook page) and said he agrees. But,t hen again, if he ever plays VH, he never says anything (never mind anything positive), and had Spammy on his show earlier in the year, kissin his ass.

Fuckin' idiots will never get it. It's these Hagaristas and ChickenShit fans - http://www.facebook.com/planetrockradio
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Grit View Post
    The Union reference doesn't bother me.
    It shouldn't bother anybody. It's not Bruce Springsteen for fuck sake, Its a Rock and Roll Song!

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by K-tuna View Post
    Unlike what @dickinhisSINUSUES would have you believe, I get that, but dave wouldn't have made that in there if he wasn't making a point...he could have chosen a dozen other things. ...But You got the broader point even if that point was a small part of a larger critique.
    OMG... who gives a flying flip? Do you seriously get your woman parts in a bunch over a single line in a song? Dude you are wound tighter than a nun in a whorehouse. I consider myself conservative and all and I don't worry about what Dave is singing on a tune that makes my toes tap, my head bob and blood pressure rise. Get over your politics and just enjoy it for what it is. Like someone said, this isn't a Rage Against... type song. This is about the types of people he has run into over the years... and their tattoos. Holy smokes. But if you feel the need to go picket a Union meeting because of this song go ahead.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Somebody probably already mentioned this, but the guitar fade out at the end reminds me a lot of You're No Good, right around the 2:38 mark...
    Guitar fade out at the end is like the intro to Down in Flames - it seems more reminiscent of that, because the earlier bridge section has the same feel as Down in Flames

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    They're currently playing Tattoo here on the radio right now and they're waiting for the peoples reaction...Result 60-40 for, its getting better
    L.A.'s classic rock station (95.5) is playing Tattoo every 95 minutes today \m/

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    OMG... who gives a flying flip? Do you seriously get your woman parts in a bunch over a single line in a song? Dude you are wound tighter than a nun in a whorehouse. I consider myself conservative and all and I don't worry about what Dave is singing on a tune that makes my toes tap, my head bob and blood pressure rise. Get over your politics and just enjoy it for what it is. Like someone said, this isn't a Rage Against... type song. This is about the types of people he has run into over the years... and their tattoos. Holy smokes. But if you feel the need to go picket a Union meeting because of this song go ahead.
    DUDE, get over your bullsh@t.

Ironically, they picked ONE point I made in a critique and blew it up as well, much like you're doing.

I think Tattoo is kinda weak. I paid for the song, I'll say what I want.

asswipe.
    Last edited by K-tuna; 01-10-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    To be honest, i kind of assumed that Ed would play bass on the new album anyway. But The Cafe WARF clips show Wolfgang ripping it up live fer sure
    Sorry to be a wank, but can you link me to these clips? I haven't seen 'em.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm one of those, I don't give a flying fuck what others think or they think about me, i don't seek approval.......if I like, I like it....and I like it, and i like so many different styles of music and expression.........groove, funk, a bit dirty........your head gets moving along to the groove......yes it is different than the classic sound we all know and love, but so far, so good.......does it blow my head off? no......but i dig......a little soul n swagger.........

On you tube, facebook, and elsewhere though out the "internet" where every "person" gets to express their thoughts and think that they matter......there is so much negativity.......i find it funny.......i wonder what folks would think if there was no internet and mass communication? if they were simply by themselves..........that's what i did.......headphones on......repeat, repeat, repeat.......could it be better? i think so.......but i like it......i dig.........it's groove creeps up on you and get down on the funk.....

bring on the rest of the album......

one thing is for certain.................EVERYONE is talking about this...........
    Last edited by DLR'sCock; 01-10-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It´s a good song no doubt I´ve listened to it about 20 times, Its catchy, got a good hook and funny lyrics.
    I like it and I can´t wait to hear the rest of the songs.
    I loved what I heard from Cafe Wha? and She´s the woman blow me away. But just like with Jump I
    don’t think think Tattoo will be my favorite song on the album
    The best things about it is:
    The Lyrics, Eddies Guitar solo
    The fact that we once more get to hear an album from Van Halen With DAVE

The not so great things is that it sounds like a mix of Slam dunk (which is god) and Bad Is Bad (Huey Lewis).
    The video, its OK but I Guess I really don´t care to much about videos anyway. At least they look like they
    are having a good time goofing around.
    I´d also like a little more bass and drums in the mix

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is what a friend of mine had to say: "I like it, I'm not big on hard rock, but I think it's a good song. Lyrics are really good, they've obviously matured. I mean, "hot for teacher" is a good song but you can both write it and sing it drunk."
    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Guitar fade out at the end is like the intro to Down in Flames - it seems more reminiscent of that, because the earlier bridge section has the same feel as Down in Flames
    Yeah, you're right about that. But all day long I've had the fade at the end of Tattoo stuck in my head and it was like I could almost hear Dave saying something and then You're No Good finally popped into my head. Very similar too.

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by saint View Post
    It´s a good song no doubt I´ve listened to it about 20 times, Its catchy, got a good hook and funny lyrics.
    I like it and I can´t wait to hear the rest of the songs.
    I loved what I heard from Cafe Wha? and She´s the woman blow me away. But just like with Jump I
    don’t think think Tattoo will be my favorite song on the album
    The best things about it is:
    The Lyrics, Eddies Guitar solo
    The fact that we once more get to hear an album from Van Halen With DAVE

The not so great things is that it sounds like a mix of Slam dunk (which is god) and Bad Is Bad (Huey Lewis).
    The video, its OK but I Guess I really don´t care to much about videos anyway. At least they look like they
    are having a good time goofing around.
    I´d also like a little more bass and drums in the mix
    That's funny. The first time I heard the chorus I thought, "What the fuck is this, Huey Lewis and the News????"

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I guess I like it better than I liked "Jump" when it debuted. I don't know, just not what I had in mind after waiting 28 years. Hopefully the rest of the album rips. "Tattoo" is definitely not something we will be hearing played at sporting events in 20 or 30 years, like a lot of their other stuff is today. I am sure it will grow on me, but I doubt it will ever be a go to song when I listen to this disc. I would have preferred more of statement from them. Something that just shreds.

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I guess I like it better than I liked "Jump" when it debuted. I don't know, just not what I had in mind after waiting 28 years. Hopefully the rest of the album rips. "Tattoo" is definitely not something we will be hearing played at sporting events in 20 or 30 years, like a lot of their other stuff is today. I am sure it will grow on me, but I doubt it will ever be a go to song when I listen to this disc. I would have preferred more of statement from them. Something that just shreds.
    Great to see you Von!
    Well, we were fed 'Jump' at first, but look how many tunes kicked ass on that album, lets hope that happens here, personally I like the song, but yeah it is by no means a classic.....But I'm not complaining....
    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Loves guitars & pizza
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've had a few friends give "Tattoo" lukewarm (or worse) reviews. My response is "So? Don't listen to it".

Nobody gives a crap if you're not on board. I'll enjoy the single, album, and tour just as much whether you're down with it or not.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    That's funny. The first time I heard the chorus I thought, "What the fuck is this, Huey Lewis and the News????"
    lol I wouldn`t have found it funny...Huey Lewis last thing I had in mind, in fact I had Dave solo in mind when I first heard it this morning.
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Grit View Post
    The Union reference doesn't bother me. Unions definitely had their place back in the day when owners did not give a crap about employee's Health, Wealth, etc. and workers fought to earn the right. As far as today, it's certainly debatable so "some of us still do" doesn't mean Dave does, in my view just an observation. My state of Wisconsin is right in the middle of that with our Governor and his recall looming. "TATTOO" is starting to grow on me, it's taken a few listens and I haven't heard it on a good sound system yet so I'm sure it's going to get even better!

The song definitely sounds better with high-end headphones --- I'm using my new $200 Bose headphones I got for Xmas and the bottom end is fuckin' SWEET in this tune. Cant wait to hear "She's the Woman" with these fuckers.

Dont judge the song based on cheap shit laptop or cell phone speakers --- listen to it to the right way.

I am the party
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Van halen day in rhode island

Double shot Tuesday here. 2 Van Halen songs at the top of the hour every hour. Cool intros and promos b4 and after songs. Only heard 2 vanhager songs so far all day.. Tattoo at least 8 times.. Great day to be in little Rhody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    The song definitely sounds better with high-end headphones --- I'm using my new $200 Bose headphones I got for Xmas and the bottom end is fuckin' SWEET in this tune. Cant wait to hear "She's the Woman" with these fuckers.

Dont judge the song based on cheap shit laptop or cell phone speakers --- listen to it to the right way.
    Yeah, I threw on the good speakers today...fucking danced my ass off!!!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dimwits - as mentioned in last post. It has just been played on 'Planet Rock' in the UK, and - after about 10 mins - the DJ Nicky Horne has just read out a bunch of slag Facebook messages (on the Planet Rock Facebook page) and said he agrees. But,t hen again, if he ever plays VH, he never says anything (never mind anything positive), and had Spammy on his show earlier in the year, kissin his ass.

Fuckin' idiots will never get it. It's these Hagaristas and ChickenShit fans - http://www.facebook.com/planetrockradio
    Man i wish u hadnt put that link up , i read some of the comments .....tossers
    fuck your fucking framing

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I think VH is following the Interscope playbook on this one --- release the "radio friendly" hit just like they did with "Jump". Get the masses intrigued enough to perk up the ears and buy the album. This is Radio Station Marketing 101.

I'll be VERY disappointed if the other songs on the disc aren't heavier than this one. Didnt Ross Hogarth boldly state --- "This album shows the killing side of Van Halen" ???

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Yeah, I threw on the good speakers today...fucking danced my ass off!!!
    Hells to the YA!

Who gives a shit if Van Halen didn't throw out their heaviest song off the new album? When have they ever done that with any new album? Just remember that "Jump" and "Pretty Woman" were the first singles released off the previous two Roth-era albums ---- NO WAY those are close to being the heavy songs on those LPs.

This is Dave's marketing genius at work --- whet the appetite of the broadest audience and they will discover the real treats once they buy the disc.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    This is Dave's marketing genius at work --- whet the appetite of the broadest audience and they will discover the real treats once they buy the disc.
    I don't disagree with this sentiment at all.

I was just hoping after 28 years, to get punched in the face!

I am sure there will be some gems in the bunch.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For those of us who bought 1984 back when it came out, think about when you first heard Drop Dead Legs......after only knowing JUMP......this album will have the bad ass riffs that everyone craves from Ed.......

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Maybe this is just the jab so they can knock you out with the album

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What the fuck I just noticed Ed`s running shoes in the video...I think I`m gonna stick to the audio...these guys are getting uglier especially Ed according to my wife...But this song is better the more I play it

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Bullethead is sure to kick you in the teeth when you hear it if it's still the same as it was back in the day and they haven't tinkered with it too much.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's a single... A single is meant for commercial airplay....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Video still has way more likes than dislikes at YouTube. I suspect most of the dislikes and negative comments are from Hagarites and Chickenshit fans.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Yeah and I think it will do well.

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If this is the "poppiest" song there is on the whole album, then we're in for a real treat! I love the new song and it has surpassed all of my expectations, and then some.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Los Angeles rock station is KLOS 95.5. Every Tuesday is 'Two-fer Tuesday'. 2 songs from every artist all day.

Today?

'Tattoo'fer Tuesday'!

They played the new VH song....then a funny shtick of Dave talking. ("This is Diamond Dave coming to you in alarming frequency right here on KLOS")....then Everybody Wants Some.

Excellent!

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I can PM you my ex-wifes phone number. Or her lawyers....

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I can PM you my ex-wifes phone number. Or her lawyers....
    I see we share the same taste in women

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Please sing louder... the choir is on a roll today...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Thread Information