Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 1,000 of 1852

Thread: The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    Yeah she was adorable.... Dana! =)
    Awww.... you really liked her, didn't you?

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The outro reminds me of the intro to, "You're No Good".

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Outro reminded me of Cathedral.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenEyedMurder View Post
    Awww.... you really liked her, didn't you?
    She didn't like me at all.

I was blocking the whole stage!!!

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I HAVE had MTV the last 7 years and I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a music video.

Music videos aren't for TV anymore, they're for the Internet. MTV had a directional choice way long ago. They chose unwisely.
    That channel is dead to me, I have taken it off my guide so that the program listing never appears on my tv screen years ago.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Didn't Dave make love to Alex's wife? Isn't that why Alex has been sore with Dave for all those years?
    well, there was a rumor about that, but in any case, Al's had about three more wives since then. One of whom was Ray Danniels' sister, which is how that piece of fucking filth got involved in the band in the first place.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    That channel is dead to me, I have taken it off my guide so that the program listing never appears on my tv screen years ago.

As bad as MTV is, they wrote a STUNNING review for tattoo. I was shocked a little because I figured they wouldn't be so hot on it. I guess that free show at Cafe Wha? was a brilliant move.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/167...n-tattoo.jhtml

Van Halen Return With New Single 'Tattoo'
    Band premieres first single with frontman David Lee Roth in nearly 16 years, and yes, it rocks.

Van Halen didn't play "Tattoo" — their first single with frontman David Lee Roth in something like 16 years — during last week's free-wheeling, free-spirited (and free-booze-fueled) club show in New York City, and it's sort of a shame. It would've fit in rather nicely alongside the massive Carter/Reagan-era smashes they did work into the set.

Don't get me wrong, "Tattoo" isn't on par with the likes of "Runnin' With the Devil," "Everybody Wants Some!!" or "Panama," but it's cast from the same mold: huge riffs, huger backbeat, hangar-sized chorus, soaring vocal harmonies (thought it's certainly weird to see Eddie Van Halen's son filling Michael Anthony's role in that regard) and a killer guitar solo. Diamond Dave even gets to do one of his patented talking bits. But perhaps most importantly, in keeping with grand Van Halen tradition, it doesn't try to be anything more than a Sterno-grade party starter. "Tattoo" isn't really about politics or religion or really even feelings (except for maybe the part where Roth sings about his uncle being in the union). Instead, it is entirely about, well, tattoos. Of all shapes and sizes. Or, as Roth puts it, "Sexy dragon magic!"

And really, what else needs to be said? At the very least, "Tattoo" is miles better than the last two songs the band recorded with Roth, "Me Wise Magic" and "Can't Get This Stuff No More," from 1996's Best Of Volume 1. And when compared to the other "new" song Van Halen premiered during Thursday's Café Wha? set — "She's the Woman," which, truth be told, has actually existed in demo form since the '70s — you can't help but get excited for their comeback disc, A Different Kind of Truth, if only because they seem to have bucked the whole "reunited band makes new album" trend and decided not to mess with the old tried-and-true formula. Truth be told, fans don't really want to hear the new stuff; they just want the hits. Or a close approximation thereof. And "Tattoo" is most definitely that.

There's even an accompanying video, which premiered Tuesday (January 10). It's little more than a black-and-white clip, reportedly shot during the band's rehearsals at the Roxy on the Sunset Strip, and yet, it doesn't have to be anything more. For fans not lucky enough to get inside Café Wha? last week, it's probably enough just to see Van Halen up close and personal — not to mention actually happy — with Eddie still pulling solos from his guitar and Roth making approximations of his manic stage moves (sadly, no midair splits, but, I mean, come on). Given how low we've set the reunion bar in recent years, it's no wonder "Tattoo" stands out the way it does. It is a solid, slightly pyrotechnic reminder of what made Van Halen so great, and why folks are (dare I say it?) optimistic about the new album. And who knows? Perhaps VH can even change our long-held belief that reunions can't totally rock. And they're doing it with nothing more than some "sexy dragon magic." Keep it simple, indeed.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Al's had about three more wives since then.
    I know at least one member of Van Halen that is no longer a millionaire...

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    well, there was a rumor about that, but in any case, Al's had about three more wives since then. One of whom was Ray Danniels' sister, which is how that piece of fucking filth got involved in the band in the first place.

He really ruined the band.......

Yet, he seems to do a great job for Rush!
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    She didn't like me at all.

I was blocking the whole stage!!!
    Maybe your pitch to her next time should be that you'll hold her up and block out other people for her.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good thing WARF was there instead of me. I would have had her on my shoulders waving her top around and shouting "WHOOO HOOO!"

She's the Woman
    AlwaysOut There Somewhere
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I guess I felt exactly like everyone else---WHAT are they gonna sound like?!? How will they look & move?? That fear & fascination of the UNKNOWN....Simple response: LOVED IT

*hey Mark!!*
    ...livin in the online VH world for 19 years....thanks to a 2 year old.....

tod@megachump.com
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Right on.
    At the 1:07 mark...the left upper arm with the tattoo which resembles the Royal Navy one of Sean Connery's...is that the same chick?
    So at about the 1:57 mark..you can see Dave's VH jacket...bedazzled and airbrushed or whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by GreenEyedMurder View Post
    I wasn't referring to your contact. Sorry that wasn't clear. The girl in the video in the black tank is the one who was between WARF and me throughout the show. Before the show started, the black tank top girl had staked out her spot right next to me and after we started chatting and she told me that she's the/a official band photographer, I asked if she's the one seen in the promo video (the one they used to announce the tour) and she blushed and said "yes."

I've only seen the Tattoo vid once, so I"ll watch again and look for your contact (a very cool person, btw!).

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I HAVE had MTV the last 7 years and I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a music video.

Music videos aren't for TV anymore, they're for the Internet. MTV had a directional choice way long ago. They chose unwisely.
    Well, it's true that eMpTyV and VH-1 have gone to Hell in a handbasket with shitty so-called "reality" shows, but there IS an actual music video channel out there. And the good news is, you don't even have to be a cable subscriber to get it, since it's airing as a digital sub-channel in many markets.....

http://www.thecooltv.com/

Can't say I like everything they play on this channel, but they do play a little of everything. I haven't watched it in a few days, so I can't say for a fact that they have added "Tattoo" to the rotation. But since it's an Interscope release, I'd seriously be surprised if they hadn't.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I got a chance to listen to the song several times this morning and walk away from it to clear my head (which yes isn’t hard). I then went back to it again. Here are some thoughts:

It’s a solid song. Great groove. Love the solo. Love the lyrics.

Here is the problem for most people(I assume). After waiting 28 years, it is underwhelming at first listen. A lot of people (including myself) expected Unchained, Panama, Drop Dead Legs, Light Up the Sky, etc. all rolled into one. The thing to realize, this IS Van Halen NOW. Play Van Halen I then play 1984. Do they sound alike? I don’t think so. They have the same core, the same soul, but are 2 totally different albums. This is what we have here. Any open minded person listening to this can hear the heart and soul of this band. I read stuff like “sounds like a Dave solo album”. It should. That’s what Dave has been doing for 28 years. That is who he is now. But put him with the Van Halen brothers and the magic is still there, the sound has been tweaked.

Gotta agree with WARF, the video stinks. Videos aren’t NEARLY as important as they were in 1984, but your are gonna hear the negative comments from the Sheep none the less. To me the video gives off the “you got one take to get this cause I am outta here” vibe, but I am probably reading between lines.

Like I said, people wanted to get kicked in the nuts by this song. I think this song grabs your nuts and twists them until you finally submit. This IS Classic Van Halen, 2012 version. I totally love it.

Besides, I could really care less if this album sells 100 copies and we all buy 2 copies a piece. At the rate they are going, I will be 70 when the next one comes out. I gonna sit back and enjoy.
    "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JJtheVagPounder View Post
    I very much agree with you on celebrities using their status as a pedestal to give their opinion. It’s why I never got into Rage. It’s why I think Sean Penn, while a great actor, is a total douche bagger. However, I don’t think Dave is saying “UNIONS ARE AWESOME!” Pretty sure he’s just telling the stories behind tattoos (and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have a union tat).
    "A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." - David Lee Roth

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tod View Post
    Right on.
    At the 1:07 mark...the left upper arm with the tattoo which resembles the Royal Navy one of Sean Connery's...is that the same chick?
    So at about the 1:57 mark..you can see Dave's VH jacket...bedazzled and airbrushed or whatever...
    No, I don't think that's WARF's crush, but I do believe it's someone else we met (I see her later in the video).

Vamos dar um jeito!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think it's very catchy.... very well mixed. This is the radio-friendly single. I expect the rest of the album is going to rock...

Vamos dar um jeito!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Personally, I think the video is amazing! It's brilliant... it's Dave. Vids with Sam were never that creative... VH was a bore during the Hagar era.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have given it several listens..IMO,,just not raw enough..not terrible..but not great,,,,Hopefully its the " jump" of the album..it sounds very weak compared to...

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by light 'em up! View Post
    Personally, I think the video is amazing! It's brilliant... it's Dave. Vids with Sam were never that creative... VH was a bore during the Hagar era.
    I like it, too. I think it pays homage to the 1984 videos, mainly the Jump video and the dancing parts of Panama.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by K-tuna View Post
    Satriani and Chad Smith are talented mofos...
    Agreed but as technically brilliant as Satch is very seldom does he play anything that makes the hair on my arms stand up when I hear it, most of the time it just doesn't MOVE me.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvioDante View Post
    Gotta agree with WARF, the video stinks. Videos aren’t NEARLY as important as they were in 1984, but your are gonna hear the negative comments from the Sheep none the less. To me the video gives off the “you got one take to get this cause I am outta here” vibe, but I am probably reading between lines.
    Holy shit, that's the thing that was bothering me earlier!
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Loves guitars & pizza
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Show me your dragon magic ...

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by light 'em up! View Post
    I think it's very catchy.... very well mixed. This is the radio-friendly single. I expect the rest of the album is going to rock...
    This is perfect!! Pretty much sums it up...

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    My only real beef with the video is no high kicks from Dave and Dave isn't holding a mic. But I understand that he can't do all the dance moves with a mic in his hand.
    Being such a seasoned vet... I figured you would've noticed they were playing pretend rock stars in that video..?
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I asked earlier but there's been 7 pages of posts since then and I'm too tired and lazy this evening to look to see if I was answered....but does anyone know why it's not available on Amazon.com? I'm thinking I'm the only one on the board that's been uable to purchase this great tune.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Irony View Post
    I guess I felt exactly like everyone else---WHAT are they gonna sound like?!? How will they look & move?? That fear & fascination of the UNKNOWN....Simple response: LOVED IT

*hey Mark!!*

G'day Lisa !
    Great to see you here

Hope you and family are all well
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Brilliant post. Love it.

Can I get an AMEN?
    just home from work, so this will show up many pages aftter the fact, however:

AMEN!
    “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971quarter View Post
    show me your dragon magic ...
    damn!

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ALMOSTsaved View Post
    I asked earlier but there's been 7 pages of posts since then and I'm too tired and lazy this evening to look to see if I was answered....but does anyone know why it's not available on Amazon.com? I'm thinking I'm the only one on the board that's been uable to purchase this great tune.
    It's on Amazon, but bizarrely doesn't readily come up from a search. I found it only by searching, seemingly finding nothing, then seeing a pic of the cover some way down the page - but just trying again, damned if I couldn't find it.

But, as always google to the rescue - I searched 'Tattoo Van Halen Amazon' on Google - and here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Tattoo/dp/B006U647QQ

I think the folks at the record company need to gnash some balls at Amazon about this. They'll be losing sales because some dork hasn't catalogued it properly ...

Last time I looked - earlier this evening - it was No.1 in Rock downloads at Amazon.co.uk (& No. 13 in all MP3 Downloads)
    Last edited by VHscraps; 01-10-2012 at 07:04 PM.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    song is really good.. not great, and it does sound a lot like Dave's solo stuff which i love...just so happy some new VH is here...wow...the video blows, and Eddie can you at least run a comb through that hair?...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's the same link I've been following....and it always says, "Not Available" under the price. I've tried to purchase it from AmazonUK and it's available but says it can't sell to me due to my geographical location....It's bizzare to say the least.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    It's on Amazon, but bizarrely doesn't readily come up from a search. I found it only by searching, seemingly finding nothing, then seeing a pic of the cover some way down the page - but just trying again, damned if I couldn't find it.

But, as always google to the rescue - I searched 'Tattoo Van Halen Amazon' on Google - and here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Tattoo/dp/B006U647QQ

I think the folks at the record company need to gnash some balls at Amazon about this. They'll be losing sales because some dork hasn't catalogued it properly ...

Last time I looked - earlier this evening - it was No.1 in Rock downloads at Amazon.co.uk (& No. 13 in all MP3 Downloads)
    Just realised / remembered - Va was posting earlier on about clicking on the ad banner for Tattoo at the top of the page here on the Army.

That takes you direct to the item on Amazon, and some proceeds come back to Roth Army ... try that

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ALMOSTsaved View Post
    That's the same link I've been following....and it always says, "Not Available" under the price. I've tried to purchase it from AmazonUK and it's available but says it can't sell to me due to my geographical location....It's bizzare to say the least.
    Yeah - I see that now. Weird. I ended up downloaded it on iTunes

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvioDante View Post
    I got a chance to listen to the song several times this morning and walk away from it to clear my head (which yes isn’t hard). I then went back to it again. Here are some thoughts:

It’s a solid song. Great groove. Love the solo. Love the lyrics.

Here is the problem for most people(I assume). After waiting 28 years, it is underwhelming at first listen. A lot of people (including myself) expected Unchained, Panama, Drop Dead Legs, Light Up the Sky, etc. all rolled into one. The thing to realize, this IS Van Halen NOW. Play Van Halen I then play 1984. Do they sound alike? I don’t think so. They have the same core, the same soul, but are 2 totally different albums. This is what we have here. Any open minded person listening to this can hear the heart and soul of this band. I read stuff like “sounds like a Dave solo album”. It should. That’s what Dave has been doing for 28 years. That is who he is now. But put him with the Van Halen brothers and the magic is still there, the sound has been tweaked.

Like I said, people wanted to get kicked in the nuts by this song. I think this song grabs your nuts and twists them until you finally submit. This IS Classic Van Halen, 2012 version. I totally love it.

Besides, I could really care less if this album sells 100 copies and we all buy 2 copies a piece. At the rate they are going, I will be 70 when the next one comes out. I gonna sit back and enjoy.
    Great review bro, you said it.....
    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by K-tuna View Post
    Unlike what @dickinhisSINUSES' would have you believe, I get that, but dave wouldn't have made that in there if he wasn't making a point...he could have chosen a dozen other things. ...But You got the broader point even if that point was a small part of a larger critique.
    almost every song written COULD have talked about a dozen different things,
    but due to content, rhyme. or rhythm, DON'T
    Not all of them are hell bent on making a point...but in making good music.

so sorry you don't like this one, but i wouldn't make more of it than is actually there....i.e.: politics

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just listened to "Tattoo" about 10 times in a row and here's my 2 cents: it rocks. I have encountered some complete BABOONS that are unsatisfied. I say this to them: SHUT UP RETARD. I'm puzzled, whattaya expect, "Fair Warning Part 2" from guys in their mid-to-late 50's????

Let me be clear, "Tattoo" rocks, it has a great vibe, fun lyrics, and is a GREAT single to lead off a 2012 FM radio campaign. It's not 1981 anymore, and if this is what a grown-up Van Halen sounds like, color me happy-as-fuck, bitch.

Anyone who wants to whine about Mikey can fuckin SUCK IT. Van Halen could sing the ABC's and it'd be LIGHT YEARS ahead of where Chickenshit is. Chickenfoot is a mere footnote, Van Halen is HEADLINE NEWS. What's the opposite of "above me"...
    If you listen to fools
    The Mob Rules

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    People are hard to please i tell ya.......been listening to people calling in the fm radio station here about tattoo.....i hope they play it enough to grab them nuts and twists them until these fuckers bashing it all submit...
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Van Halen has a new album coming out. Reality just hit me....

Thread Information