The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Guitar Shark
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Hard to tell from such a brief clip, but it definitely sounds like a reworked version of "Down in Flames" to me.
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

One thing a lot of people are overlooking when it comes to reworking old songs...

The band always did that. No matter what that shitstick Sambo is whining about, they pulled out old tunes from the demo days throughout their career:

VAN HALEN II was full of leftovers from the demo days that didn't make it to VH I.
      WACF has IN A SIMPLE RHYME, the bridge on ROMEO DELIGHT, etc.
      FAIR WARNING has bits and pieces, including the bridge on the old SHE'S THE WOMAN.
      DIVER DOWN is mostly leftover tracks with a few covers. Hell, HANG 'EM HIGH was LAST NIGHT originally, etc.
      1984 has HOUSE OF PAIN, totally reworked.

Even with Cheesehead...
      There's one track on BALANCE that's a total rewrite of an acoustic song from the demo days.

There's simply doing what they've done throughout their career. I love when they finish off old tunes. It's like unfinished business finally being finished.

If they do another album with Dave (and I hope they do), there'll be a lot of unfinished business done with so they can look even more into the future. Plus, doing these old tunes probably inspired the new material.
      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• 1971Quarter
        Roadie
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
        Bingo....
        Yep. definitely "Down In Flames".

I, for one, am not at all worried about the album. I am confident it'll ROCK

Comment

• Grit
          Roadie
          • Oct 2011

Agree with most that it's too hard to judge on such a short clip, but sounded pretty cool to me. Can't wait to hear the entire track!

Comment

• Zing!
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

Kind of surprised at the direction they took for the first single. Not nearly as rocking as what I was expecting (well - hard to say for sure based on only 20 seconds), but definitely seems to be catered to Dave's voice as it stands today. Kind of dig the rockabilly vibe the song has going, but I agree, some harmony - not to beat a dead horse, but Mikey 'ahhhhh' harmony - would have been tasty right before the song cut off. Not sure what to think of the synth in the mix - doesn't seem to fit the vibe, but this is all conjecture without hearing it in its entirety. Digging Al's sound in the sample, and Ed's tone is frustratingly hard to gauge based on what I heard. It sounds clear and strong, but not necessarily 'brown.' I don't hate it - just definitely not what I was expecting. Believe me, no one wants to love this song more than I do! I'll be playing this sample all weekend long!
            My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

You can sing Addicted To Love over it too. In fact, that's the same keyboard sound! Odd, but yeah, I'll take it.

Comment

• lesfunk
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

This whole affair so far has Dave written all over it. From the NY Club Date to the reworking of Old Material to the Train Logo to the opening band.
                http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• kwame k
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Feb 2008

From the 30 seconds....I agree, it does have a Down in Flames vibe to it.

I fucking like it.......this is what I was kinda hoping they'd do. A mature sound with a nod to the past but not to the point of being a caricature of their past self.

Keyboards....meh! Al's drums, clear and placed right in the mix......Dave vocals, lower but good.......Ed's guitar, not really enough of it to make a judgement.....Wolfie/Ed's bass, while not completely buried like in the past is decent sounding and placed pretty good in the mix.

Man, I can't remember being this excited about my band and their new album!
                  Originally posted by vandeleur
                  E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Carmine
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2004

Ed's guitar sounds heavy as hell here...

Comment

• WARF
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

It's tough to judge the song on just a sample... I hate to say it... I heard 5150 with Dave singin...

Definately some reworking of "Down in flames"

Whatever the case... they picked the wrong 20 seconds to sample.... they cut off at the bridge...

Comment

• nitroDave23
                        Roadie
                        • Jan 2012

I fucking love it....Dave sounds good, better than in '96 to me, the Production side seems good too,nice full sound.Not so sure on Ed's tone yet,I do like how full it is, even though it's different than the early sound.

Can't get anymore pumped than I am now!!

Wish it was more, a minute would have been nice.....lol (:

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

It took me a few listens to get completely on board...but I wish it had continued. It got stronger for me near the end of the clip...
                          Originally posted by perilouspete
                          fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• if6was9
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Mar 2007

WTF is this?
                            I told you I had a bad feeling...
                            Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

I like how they posted "from the album: Tattoo" on Amazon.

Guess they didn't get the "Different Kind of Truth" memo..
                              fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by if6was9
                                WTF is this?
                                I told you I had a bad feeling...
                                Easy there young Jedi....

Judge not from a brief sample. Listen to "Down in Flames".....you'll dig it!

Comment

Working...