Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,200 of 1852

Thread: The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't know if anyone else here has called into their local radio to request the song, but I did this morning.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR'sCock View Post
    I don't know if anyone else here has called into their local radio to request the song, but I did this morning.
    That worked in the day where radio stations were locally owned but those have been all bought up by big media companies and the corporation decides the format. Thank's to Bush thay all have a device where the government literally can take over the broadcast at will if they want. The DJ is no longer in charge of songs. They are given a script and told what to do. If you don't tow the line you get canned.

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by K-tuna View Post
    I know the preference of using Amazon is there with a lot of members, but since they're goofing so bad , have you tried Itunes?
    That's where my son and all his buddies got the
    tune
    I tried with Amazon.....got fed up
    Went to ITunes

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just some random thoughts and comments...

I'm very happy that I'm listening to this song a lot because I genuinely like it... not because I'm trying to convince myself that I like it. All you want is for the lead off hitter to get on base... a single is fine... he doesn't need to hit a home run. IMO, it's got a great vibe and swagger to it... what more were people expecting. I mean let's be honest... Van Halen couldn't out do 'Fair Warning' even when they were in their prime... was there really any expectation that they would be able to do it 30 years later?

I could have did without the keyboards... it just begs for that old contention that Dave didn't want keyboards in VH. I don't think Dave ever had a problem with keyboards... i think he just made the correct point that Van Halen fans didn't want to come to a Van Halen concert and watch Ed's 'dead ass play the keyboard'... I mean fuck, would fans go to a Clapton, Beck, Hendrix (etc) concert and be happy to see them sit or stand at a keyboard? Fuck no.

Am I the only one who thinks that Ed's playing is a little subdued on the track... instead of using keyboards to add depth to the song, why not have Ed throw in some more fills. Maybe this is just a more disciplined Edward playing these days.

I am still convinced that Ted Templeman is the only producer who knows how to make David Lee Roth sound like 'David Lee Roth'.

Welcome back, Dave!!!
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    When it was released yesterday, I had no problem finding it on two different radio stations on the way to work.

Welcome back, Dave!!!
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    been listening to Tattoo nonstop but I think there is something to the song which sort of hit me about the backing vocals which I do not think anyone has suggested. Dave in his solo work liked to add that major low voice to the harmonies on his solo lp DLR Band and it might very well be him on Tattoo but I don't think it is. Eddie has a very low voice and I think it is Eddie going Tattoo really low and not actually Dave. Dave sure the hell is capable of it and it really sounds like Eddie's voice to me if you listen close. I know it is just the video and people in videos just sing along but it is not out of the question that low voice is Eddie in the lines 'tattoo tattoo'.
    It is definitely Ed. I noticed that too.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    Just some random thoughts and comments...

I'm very happy that I'm listening to this song a lot because I genuinely like it... not because I'm trying to convince myself that I like it. All you want is for the lead off hitter to get on base... a single is fine... he doesn't need to hit a home run. IMO, it's got a great vibe and swagger to it... what more were people expecting. I mean let's be honest... Van Halen couldn't out do 'Fair Warning' even when they were in their prime... was there really any expectation that they would be able to do it 30 years later?

I could have did without the keyboards... it just begs for that old contention that Dave didn't want keyboards in VH. I don't think Dave ever had a problem with keyboards... i think he just made the correct point that Van Halen fans didn't want to come to a Van Halen concert and watch Ed's 'dead ass play the keyboard'... I mean fuck, would fans go to a Clapton, Beck, Hendrix (etc) concert and be happy to see them sit or stand at a keyboard? Fuck no.

Am I the only one who thinks that Ed's playing is a little subdued on the track... instead of using keyboards to add depth to the song, why not have Ed throw in some more fills. Maybe this is just a more disciplined Edward playing these days.

I am still convinced that Ted Templeman is the only producer who knows how to make David Lee Roth sound like 'David Lee Roth'.
    I agree. I heard it on the radio last night on the way home from work. A. I thought i dig this tune. B. I thought Templeman would have done a better job with it. That may be a large part of the guitar being subdued as well IMO.

And I'm glad you finally chimed in.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    That worked in the day where radio stations were locally owned but those have been all bought up by big media companies and the corporation decides the format. Thank's to Bush thay all have a device where the government literally can take over the broadcast at will if they want. The DJ is no longer in charge of songs. They are given a script and told what to do. If you don't tow the line you get canned.
    No kidding, but there are still some smaller stations out there that you can call in and request and I did so on my local NJ station and they do play requests. The corporately owned ones will play a request if it is in their play list and at least on the Classic rock stations, this song probably is in the play list right now.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bru87tr View Post
    When it was released yesterday, I had no problem finding it on two different radio stations on the way to work.
    Yeah, I know people are playing it.....but it would bode well for the single and new album if people are actually requesting it.......

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mr. Walker! How the hell have you been?
    Great to see ya bro.....
    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think Dave sounds fine... I love those deep, deep vocals mixed in the pre-chorus (just a funny thing to bring up... I was looking to see if Dave's book was available on Kindle and Amazon had this comment in their Dave bio "He is one of few vocalists with a larger than 4 octave range in full voice (from G1 to G♯5)"... suck on that Hagar you piece of whale shit).

Anybody else hear the chorus riff of 'Tears Are Falling' by KISS as the pre-c goes into the chorus?

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anybody else hear the chorus riff of 'Tears Are Falling' by KISS as the pre-c goes into the chorus?
    Yeah! That was bugging me , I couldn't place where I heard that....

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    First of all, what a joy it is to see fresh material coming from King Edward and Master Roth. It's great to see them happy, healthy and kicking. Whether the happiness is all an act or not (it sure as hell looks very real) it doesn't matter because they're back doing what they did better than anyone else in the history of rock music. OK, they're past their prime and there's an ugly history that will always exist and most likely cause some havoc again somewhere along the road.. but it's CVH and it's not dead when I always thought it was.

I do miss Mikey but as many others have said, if not for Wolfie this all might not be happening. He's the key to Eddie getting his ass/ttitude in gear. And he's not too bad on the bass.

Was always worried about the new material being too familiar almost. Not that Tattoo isn't typical VH, it is in a way, but Eddie's not gone back to find the CVH guitar sound. He progressed as a guitarist beyond the Roth-era regardless of the material and he's carried that sound and personality through in this track, and hopefully through the rest of the album. Yet still clever to pick bones out of some of the earlier unreleased stuff and Down In Flames is very much in this track.. a tribute almost.. and most certainly a big influence. My other worry was that Ed was going to take lead and dare to take any potential spotlight away from Roth.. not the case.. this is very Diamond Dave and you get a feel of some of the DLR-solo stuff, even in the way Eddie approaches things guitar-wise which is very interesting.

Love the lyrics. Witty, fun and proper Roth sarcasm which only he can deliver. Love that the guitar work isn't tense or too structured, it's very loose and relaxed.. love the bits when he drops out and lets the synth hover whilst Roth takes control then he kicks back in with some very simple but effective punchy power chords. Guitar solo is very improvisational and off-the-cuff which is very CVH. Van Hagar stuff was much more methodical and structured. I love both, but with Roth the raw improv style is so much better.

Thank you Van Halen for making the magic happen again.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I've been keeping the secret for too long and I can no longer live with my secret so I'm going to tell you all right now. Mr.Walker is actually Eddie Trunk

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    I've been keeping the secret for too long and I can no longer live with my secret so I'm going to tell you all right now. Mr.Walker is actually Eddie Trunk
    Hahahaha... no I'm not. Les, you have seen me and Eddie Trunk at the same place at the same time (Heaven & Hell at Radio City... RIP Ronnie).

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    BTW... I don't miss Michael Anthony at all.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just watched the video again. Chill bumps again. That's a good sign. Ed looks great, they must all be getting along. F0r the first time since 1984 all is right with the world.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No kidding, but there are still some smaller stations out there that you can call in and request and I did so on my local NJ station and they do play requests. The corporately owned ones will play a request if it is in their play list and at least on the Classic rock stations, this song probably is in the play list right now.
    WDHA I pressume. Great station when they're not playing Daughtry, knicklecrap and the like.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hahahaha... no I'm not. Les, you have seen me and Eddie Trunk at the same place at the same time (Heaven & Hell at Radio City... RIP Ronnie).
    I was at that show.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Video could have used a more prominent dancing tattoo chick... kinda like the one in the Danzig "She Rides" video.
    Also... didn't need to see Dave doing the hula.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Stern played Tattoo this morning... gave it a thumbs up... more importantly Fred Norris did as well.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    WDHA I pressume. Great station when they're not playing Daughtry, knicklecrap and the like.
    Yes, WHDA, they play good stuff, but yes they do play some shiza!!!!! I think the request is coming soon for the request lunch hour. It will be with their VH double play, and a chance to win VH tix for MSG!!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    95.5 FM KLOS in Los Angeles is playing Tattoo every 95 minutes!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes, WHDA, they play good stuff, but yes they do play some shiza!!!!! I think the request is coming soon for the request lunch hour. It will be with their VH double play, and a chance to win VH tix for MSG!!

Good luck! I wasn't able to get MSG tickets. Gone too fast. Gonna try for AC. If not that, gonna follow them on You-Tube I s'pose.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "Tattoo" keeps playing in my mind that's on repeat mode, can't help it!!
    I dunno how to skip to another song, and Feb. 7th is way too far!

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Panamark View Post
    I have no idea why Chickenpoop fans hang out in VH world ?
    Do they want the "poop" to disband and Sammy to sing
    Dreams again ?
    On the positive side, at least they won't have to fork over big money to see Chickenfoot in concert -- they can just go to the local IHOP one day soon.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by K-tuna View Post
    Eh....Slammy Pay-gars lyrics on "About Time " and '" Up for Breakfast " were pretty wretchedly cheesy, but the music for those songs were pretty slammin'. Only Ed can come up with a groove riff for a song with pick scrapes. I wish i had some software to isolate the tracks from the vocals.

But That book stuff was so bad he deserved a size 14 boot up the wazzo for the horrible crap he wrote.
    Yep, some of the things he wrote in that book were hideous and just a big case of sour grapes. He really does come off as the jilted girl whose boyfriend dumped her for a hotter girl, and she's just never going to get over it -- or shut up about it.

diamonddavidleeroth.com
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My first impression :"Tattoo" is better than CGTSNM and MWM, the pre chorus and the chorus are vicious...can't get off my mind, which is a good sign.

The song sounds like 1998's DLR band with a slightly better production...which is also an amazing thing because that's one of my favorites VH/DLR discs....

I can see this new single and the new album hitting the number one spot in the charts of the whole world!!!

Can't wait to see them rocking Brasil!!

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    I can't stand reading the comments on Youtube anymore... Can't wait for the entire album to come out and put these idiots in their place. I love the song, and it's the freaking single, which is usually my least favourite. I remember how disappointed I was when I first heard "Jump", and I still cringe whenever I hear it....
    For many years, I didn't really care for "Jump." But then it made its way into my workout playlist on the iPod, and since last week, it now has special meaning for me.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think its somewhat a miracle that the band was able to create something new despite everything these guys have gone through over the years:

Booze, babes, fame, money, drugs, more booze, solo ventures, first (and ugliest) breakup with Dave, hiring shitty replacement no. 1, breakup with replacement no. 1, "fake" reunion with Dave and second breakup with him, hiring shitty replacement no. 2, breakup with replacement no. 2, attempted reunion with Dave again, Eddie's divorce and cancer, Eddie's decent into Hobo/Meth land, shitty reunion tour with replacement no. 1, breakup with replacement no. 1 and with bass player, reunion tour with Dave through Eddie's struggles with alcoholism......

and here we are.

The band - Dave, Ed, Al and Wolf are all ready to rock and have delivered an honest and rocking song to kick things off.

Wow.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The funny thing is that I can't help but think that if all of this 'internet social networking you tube vimeo' shit was in place when VH released the "Oh! Pretty Woman" single on the heels of the 'Fair Warning' album, you'd be seeing the same amount of criticism that you are seeing in response to 'Tattoo'. In this day and age everyone with a computer/smartphone/tablet is a critic... not just those Elvis Costello looking motherfuckers.

diamonddavidleeroth.com
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ... not just those Elvis Costello looking motherfuckers.
    Everybody....actually Mr Walker is Diamond Dave!!!

Roth Army Attitude
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    These fucks should be playing it all day. Take a fuckin break from the normal repeted bullshit and play some new VH. Called all morning still aint hearing shit.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The funny thing is that I can't help but think that if all of this 'internet social networking you tube vimeo' shit was in place when VH released the "Oh! Pretty Woman" single on the heels of the 'Fair Warning' album, you'd be seeing the same amount of criticism that you are seeing in response to 'Tattoo'. In this day and age everyone with a computer/smartphone/tablet is a critic... not just those Elvis Costello looking motherfuckers.
    LMFAO! That is all I read is that they sounded "older" and "different". Well face the facts they are older and to "re-create" another 1984 or Fair Warning is jsut plain ridiculous to set the bar that high.

Oh and nice to see you again Walker...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SFG View Post
    LMFAO! That is all I read is that they sounded "older" and "different". Well face the facts they are older and to "re-create" another 1984 or Fair Warning is jsut plain ridiculous to set the bar that high.

Oh and nice to see you again Walker...
    Hello Spanish Gay Guy

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

My request is on now......now to see if I can win those tickets!!!!!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RUDE SADDLE View Post
    These fucks should be playing it all day. Take a fuckin break from the normal repeted bullshit and play some new VH. Called all morning still aint hearing shit.
    Try Q104.3 as well.

Roth Army Attitude
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Try Q104.3 as well.
    I did they play the same fucking songs everyday.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

So true, I made a similar point earlier.

Thread Information