Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,360 of 1852

Thread: The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know it's melodi-crock... but here's a tease of what may be to come...

In related news, I heard from one retailer in the US that was invited to a playback of the album. He commented to me: "Overall, heavier than I expected. Highlights were China Town, Stay Frosty (think Ice Cream Man), Big River, Beats Workin' (reminds you of DOA in the verse). She's The Woman is a great track, we all thought it was a better track than the single."

fourthcoming
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenEyedMurder View Post
    Rolling Stone hasn't been relevant since Carter was President.
    Not relevant since Carter was president.....lmfao.......I know people like to type lol and all that but when I read this I literally laughed out loud in my office.....funny shit. Rolling Stone is a bunch of flakes who grew up on the "new romantic" movement in the early 80's. A magazine full of dweebs who think The Cure was the greatest thing to ever happen to music.

fourthcoming
    "The only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniels bottles is the Clash baby"

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoes, Sensible View Post
    Mean Street ripped off from "Voodoo Queen"

SAVE ME SAMMY!!!!
    Sammy would be astonished to learn that The Stones recycled stuff from the Mick Taylor era for well over a decade. 'Tattoo You' is almost completely reworked material that Taylor wrote during his tenure in the band. It happens - it's a part of rock - and yes, even the legendary bands do it from time to time. Why is this even a big deal? Let's ask Sammy! Sam...?
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post
    If other people don't like Tattoo, who cares?

There are some strange musical tastes out there.

I mean, look at the top artists of 2010. I'm glad I'm not part of that group.
    http://www.billboard.com/charts-year...ists?year=2010
    Only about 2 artists are justified to be on there. The rest are just pop-garbage and whatever Nashville shits out every year. But the sad part is that there are no Rock bands. WTF!

That's all gonna change this year, fo sho!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just got off the phone with Bette Midler's parents, and they had shocking..just fucking shocking news...

They have informed me that Bette (Sammy for those dumb fucks on here) was actually sewn together from flaps of fat from his parents ass cheeks...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

=OWWWWWWWWW=
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    I just got off the phone with Bette Midler's parents, and they had shocking..just fucking shocking news...

They have informed me that Bette (Sammy for those dumb fucks on here) was actually sewn together from flaps of fat from his parents ass cheeks...
    I would bet that after they were done sewing the fat bastard together they reacted just like this...
    ~Only you can prevent low volume~

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthcoming View Post
    Not relevant since Carter was president.....lmfao.......I know people like to type lol and all that but when I read this I literally laughed out loud in my office.....funny shit. Rolling Stone is a bunch of flakes who grew up on the "new romantic" movement in the early 80's. A magazine full of dweebs who think The Cure was the greatest thing to ever happen to music.
    Wow... look how some people love to write ..just anything..pass it off as gospel truth...^

That mag was the end all be all for rock and roll and relative musical writing and the images they captured are some of the iconic images of all musical history durring the 70's and early 80's, but as you said they went the way of MTV'ish banality, wich was to become more of a Entertainment Tonight style of reportage style of, trend mag. I believe during the late 1980's.
    Last edited by clarathecarrot; 01-12-2012 at 09:33 AM.
    2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Roth Army Attitude
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    I know it's melodi-crock... but here's a tease of what may be to come...

In related news, I heard from one retailer in the US that was invited to a playback of the album. He commented to me: "Overall, heavier than I expected. Highlights were China Town, Stay Frosty (think Ice Cream Man), Big River, Beats Workin' (reminds you of DOA in the verse). She's The Woman is a great track, we all thought it was a better track than the single."
    Awesome news love doa. Blood and fire im sure is going to kick major spam ass.
    ROTH ARMY ATTITUDE
    ''And a fierce cry rings out across the Manhattan skyline''
    - David Lee Roth 1/5/12 Cafe Wha, New York City

Banned
    THE GRATEST™
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    is china town a thin lizzy cover ?

just trying to figure out if this is diver down mk 2 ?

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    yep. we gotta be remembering that these are men in their 50's, with a 20 year old bassie. it's not going to sound like 1982.

i reckon i can also hear a bit of the latter part of 'hear about it later' at the end there... the unison bends and dave wailing sexay dragon magic.
    i'm surprised no-ones mentioned that, then again, i may be deaf.

tat-too tat-too
    I noticed it and so have many others already

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by clarathecarrot View Post
    Wow... look how some people love to write ..just anything..pass it off as gospel truth...^

That mag was the end all be all for rock and roll and relative musical writing and the images they captured are some of the iconic images of all musical history durring the 70's and early 80's, but as you said they went the way of MTV'ish banality, wich was to become more of a Entertainment Tonight style of reportage style of, trend mag. I believe during the late 1980's.
    I remember feeling let down by RS in 1981/82.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rolling Stone is like any other magazine out there...you take it for what it's worth...and most of them really aren't worth anything...

Never had a problem with it because I equate it to the yuppie version of music out there...

There's some good shit...and mostly bad shit...but like I said...no biggie...

There was no gospel...but fuck...there really wasn't any gospel anywhere...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post

Bette Midler actually pulled a string hanging out of her dusty old twat a few decades ago ---- she thought it was a tampon she forgot about it ---- just turned out to be Sambo the Pussy Nugget.

"Some kind of alien --- waits for the opening --- simply pulls a pussy string --- and Sammy cums walkin' in"

If ya can't beat 'em...
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Posted this on the main page but realized it probably more appropriate here in this official review thread...
    ---------------------------
    I haven't posted here in a long time but of course this is BIG!

I didn't care too much for it the first time but now I can't stop listening to it!

They didn't go for the bleachers on this so maybe it's anti-climactic for some after waiting so many years for a reunion. So you will have the crowd who thinks this should have been more over the top. That would have been a bad choice I think. They found the sweet spot where Dave's voice works the best these days and he dropped the attempts at hitting 'The Scream'... which is good for him at this point.

The lyrics are typical early Van Halen, nothing too serious and fucking introspective (most notably nothing too 'Journey-ish' like Van Hagar), just something fun and they nailed it.

Breaks my heart to see some hater posts around the web, but those people would probably be more comfortable at a Gaga / Katy Perry / Justin Bieber concert and wouldn't know what to do with themselves if you took them in a time machine back to a 1982 VH concert anyway.

Me, I'm happy as a pig in shit and can't wait for the rest of the album.
    "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Part of me wishes they would release the new songs one at a time...i've listened to 'Tattoo' about 100 times.

I can't get 'TAh-TOO, TAh-TOO' out of my head.

It makes me happy.

I doubt that I will (be able) to listen to the other songs 100 times in 2 1/2 days.

Of course this is hyperbole, and maybe it's part of the anticipation of a new Van Halen record FINALLY, but I think the song is a MASTERPIECE. MWM and CGTSNM did not infect my brain like this song has.

Maybe I am in the minority in that I was not expecting, or hoping for, Van Halen to re-write Fair Warning.

Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks. I am currently out of my mind, and I don't know when i'm coming down. And fuck anyone who doesn't 'get it'...

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Spent too much time on Youtube smakin' Spammy Lovers. Not worth the time when those queers decided they hated it before they even heard it!

Loves guitars & pizza
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm freakin trying to listen to "Tattoo" AGAIN today at work and my stupid co-workers keep trying to talk to me. Hello?!? You're distracting me!!!!

*sheesh*

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971Quarter View Post
    I'm freakin trying to listen to "Tattoo" AGAIN today at work and my stupid co-workers keep trying to talk to me. Hello?!? You're distracting me!!!!

*sheesh*
    How do you think I feel? After three months of dicking with things, I finally figured out a way to see videos on my work computer. But I still can't HEAR the damned things! (Putting on headphones or a set of ear buds and hollering along with the music is more or less a dead giveaway that I'm not doing my job, ya know?)

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Loves guitars & pizza
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    How do you think I feel? After three months of dicking with things, I finally figured out a way to see videos on my work computer. But I still can't HEAR the damned things! (Putting on headphones or a set of ear buds and hollering along with the music is more or less a dead giveaway that I'm not doing my job, ya know?)
    Aside from the crappy pay, d-bag co-workers, and 3 hour round trip, the one good thing about my job is I can sit on the internet and listen to music at my desk ... maybe that's part of the reason my pay sucks!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's PA Rental View Post
    Part of me wishes they would release the new songs one at a time...i've listened to 'Tattoo' about 100 times.

It makes me happy.

I doubt that I will (be able) to listen to the other songs 100 times in 2 1/2 days.

Of course this is hyperbole, and maybe it's part of the anticipation of a new Van Halen record FINALLY, but I think the song is a MASTERPIECE. MWM and CGTSNM did not infect my brain like this song has.

Maybe I am in the minority in that I was not expecting, or hoping for, Van Halen to re-write Fair Warning.

Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks. I am currently out of my mind, and I don't know when i'm coming down. And fuck anyone who doesn't 'get it'...
    same here! do I give a shit about sale numbers? how often they play it on the radio? or how often the spambo lovers die in front of youtube watching it? fuck no...it's VAN HALEN with Dave...I got it right in front of my naked steaming eyes and can listen to it as often as I want by hitting the replay button...

got a great vid, with a great vibe...some JUMP! reloaded but modern and with that black and white style that makes it classic...the band looks good, looks like they are havind fun...

and yes, if you find a bottle of water in the desert you drink it, no matter what...

but this bottle is full of fresh water...can't wait for the bottle of jack to come with the album!
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Roth Army Attitude
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971Quarter View Post

*sheesh*
    Co-workers gettin' crazy 'bout the noise next door It's a major violation, carried away for sure!!

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck yeah!!! My local record store owner friend said he would sell me a copy as soon as he gets them in!!

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
    Fuck yeah!!! My local record store owner friend said he would sell me a copy as soon as he gets them in!!
    Isn't that how record stores work?

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As in, Monday, February 6th? Speaking as a former record store manager, I doubt this. Unless you two are total besties and he knows you won't run to the internet with it. Breaking street date is a total no-no. Record stores will get this drop-shipped on that Monday. If I was still managing the record store I would open one up and play it in the back room as soon as I got it, but no way I would "sell" a copy before street date.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

It makes me happy.

You've heard the term that song has "hooks"... Tattoo is a fully barbed treble fucking hook from hell. It's been set good...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As in, Monday, February 6th? Speaking as a former record store manager, I doubt this. Unless you two are total besties and he knows you won't run to the internet with it. Breaking street date is a total no-no. Record stores will get this drop-shipped on that Monday. If I was still managing the record store I would open one up and play it in the back room as soon as I got it, but no way I would "sell" a copy before street date.
    In the days before the internets you might see this happen. A cool record store manager was known to slip mega-fans some early vinyl for an extra twenty back in the day. But now tracks can get leaked before a kid even leaves the mall.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't think it never happened...I managed a corporate record store, not an indie shop. Corporate stores are by the book unless you want to get fired...
    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    . the unison bends and dave wailing sexay dragon magic.
    i'm surprised no-ones mentioned that, then again, i may be deaf.

tat-too tat-too
    And Even the Chinese Undemocracy is going with it.

Year of that Sexy Dragon Magic!

Last edited by SunisinuS; 01-12-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AhVFg.xAL.ew5JhCur2zMoabvZx4?p=year+of+the+Dragon&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes, that is what I am talking about. But not the Manager. The owner. A friend for 15 years. I am not talk out my ass here. And of course I will not say where, who, or even post it in any shape, way or form. But I will have it. Thats all I am saying.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And when I say he will sell it to me. Thats because he will ring it up the next day. I don't want it free.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't think it never happened...I managed a corporate record store, not an indie shop. Corporate stores are by the book unless you want to get fired...

I knew a guy in the late 80's who managed a popular record store at the local mall and he'd hand out early CDs to any hot chick who would blow him in the back room.....

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes, that is what I am talking about. But not the Manager. The owner. A friend for 15 years. I am not talk out my ass here. And of course I will not say where, who, or even post it in any shape, way or form. But I will have it. Thats all I am saying.
    If it does not happen I will admit it. I am not gonna lie about it. But I am 99% sure he will do this.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It is most definitely a catchy song.
    After the car ride home with the CD on repeat for only four times I had a 3 year old girl bouncing trough the living room singing Tattoo Tattoo! Priceless, grandma is proud!
    Almost as good was the smile on the face of my son when he came in and saw this. (Her mom might not like it as much though)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AccidentalAngel View Post
    Her mom might not like it as much though
    slap her!

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cool...

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And when I say he will sell it to me. Thats because he will ring it up the next day. I don't want it free.
    Yeah, I was gonna say this. No record of breaking street date. That's cool for you man!

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AccidentalAngel View Post
    It is most definitely a catchy song.
    After the car ride home with the CD on repeat for only four times I had a 3 year old girl bouncing trough the living room singing Tattoo Tattoo! Priceless, grandma is proud!
    Almost as good was the smile on the face of my son when he came in and saw this. (Her mom might not like it as much though)
    My 4 year old daughter and 7 year old son LOVE it!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    they know they will get kicked into the next orphanage if they don't

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah my 7 year old son loves it , wouldnt get in the car unless it was on ...which aint a massive problem
    fuck your fucking framing

Thread Information