The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whorehey
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2012

Thx for the link. Amazon.uk took it down by the time I got home from work.

So much in the last 24 hrs. Geez, what will we do between Tuesday and 2/7?

Gotta think the fine folks at DDE and the Mothership will have some more Easter eggs for us to keep the buzz up.
    'Cause three holes are better than a hole-in-one!!!

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

I feel like I need to stay home from work on Tuesday just to control my hyperventilating.
      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• bru87tr
        Commando
        • Apr 2004

EVERYBODY WANT'S SOME INTO NEW ALBUM CUT SHES THE WOMAN INTO DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY!!

Forward to 6:31 for "She's The Woman"

Warning, the guy who posted is a tool and won't shut up or stop putting the camera on himself.
        Last edited by bru87tr; 01-06-2012, 08:11 PM.
        "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

The clip of 'Tatoo' is cool in my book.

It totally wasn't what I was expecting, and I like that about it. I know some folks here would like the guys to re-capture 78-84, but I don't see how that's possible without pastiche to be honest. An evolution of the CVH sound in fresher directions is all fine by me - the music these guys should make in their 50s, rather than the stuff they made in their 20s.
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Halen High
            Commando
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by binnie
            The clip of 'Tatoo' is cool in my book.

It totally wasn't what I was expecting, and I like that about it. I know some folks here would like the guys to re-capture 78-84, but I don't see how that's possible without pastiche to be honest. An evolution of the CVH sound in fresher directions is all fine by me - the music these guys should make in their 50s, rather than the stuff they made in their 20s.
            I've listened to it about 30-40 times now and I just fucking love it. I think it will get plenty of airplay and attract a younger audience to them - as it has that 'from the street', 'edgey' coolness about it, while still being radio-friendly. I just played it to a girl who likes Van Halen without being a huge fan and she said, "wow that's pretty cool."

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

You never know, although I'm not sure about CVH winning over a significant younger crowd in the Hip Hop climate.

If they pick up younger members, it'll be from the metal audience - metal guitar players in newer bands will go ga-ga for a new VH record.

Comment

• Halen High
                Commando
                • Jul 2004

Definitely binnie - they will never convert the mindless morons who listen to Snoop Dog or whatever he's called. But I know a couple of 20-somethings who already like CVH and they will love this.

Comment

• bru87tr
                  Commando
                  • Apr 2004

I think "She's The Woman" sounds great. That will be cool being on the new album. I think they should have released that first.

I can't totally figure out the clip for "Tattoo" , I like it cause it sounds like DLR solo, but I was expecting to hear full on VH backing vocals. I won't pass judgement now till I hear the rest, really hard to tell where it is going.

It is getting interesting now and can't wait to hear what the rest of the album will be like.
                  "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

It definitely sounds like Dave solo. But we've only got the bridge there, not the chorus, so there may be some full backing vocals on it.

Comment

• george
                      Roadie
                      • Feb 2004

I like it... I like it a lot.

Comment

• WARF
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

I got hula girls on the back of my leg... and she hulas when I walk...

I change my mind after 50 plus listens... its a classic.

Classic Van Halen minus Mikey...

I screamed this at the top of my lungs for them to play this LIVE last night.

Comment

• Angel
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by if6was9
                          Man, but this shit is a sample of the single. Which means it's supposed to be the best part of the most catchy track from the album.
                          No, it's supposed to be the best part of the song they think will be the most commercial. Remember "Jump"????
                          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• nitroDave23
                            Roadie
                            • Jan 2012

Have played the clip over and over,

It's got a "cool Roth" vibe, like many have stated it's hard to judge by that clip alone how the whole thing is gonna play out.

Dave sounds great, sounds like they're not making him over work his current voice.

Yeah it won't be the 6-Pack good,but it'll be better than a lot of shit we've heard in recent years, I think we're in for a great surprise.

Comment

• Angel
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                              You never know, although I'm not sure about CVH winning over a significant younger crowd in the Hip Hop climate.

If they pick up younger members, it'll be from the metal audience - metal guitar players in newer bands will go ga-ga for a new VH record.
                              There are a LOT of the younger set that rock out. I know tons that don't bother with anything "mainstream", they stick with Indie.
                              "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

True, but I doubt they'll be rocking to this. They might discover the 6 pack as a result of the increased press, however.

Comment

Working...