The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I think what a lot of listeners experience in cases like this is that it's difficult to separate the familiar and expected from the new end result in their mind. Takes a while to split the focus. I'm certain fans who've never heard Down In Flames will dig Tattoo a bit quicker. I didn't hear Where Were You Last Night until eight years after Hang 'em High. When I got Diver Down, my noggin wasn't distracted by the memory of the original and, in that case, that's a good thing. Last Night lyrics? Noooo bueno!

Comment

• Mr Walker
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by WARF
      I got hula girls on the back of my leg... and she hulas when I walk...
      Lyrics are clever... I mean it's no '17 Girls in A Row', but not bad.

Comment

• DLR'sCock
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

I'm digging it kids! I am looking forward to the NEW VAN HALEN ALBUM!!! ahhhhh yeaahhhhh!!!

Comment

• DLR'sCock
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
          The thing is, if they do that, it'll be no worse than DIVER DOWN (without the cover songs). And that's nuthin' to whine about. That would be awesome.
          Yeah, cause Diver Down has such lame songs like The Full Bug and Hang 'em High!!!! Hey Rikk, hope all is well man!!

Comment

• Mr Walker
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Jimmy Iovine is no idiot... he heard the album and fucking wooed VH to his label. If it sounded like shit, would he have really thrown in with the band? I'm glad 'Tattoo' didn't grab me upon first listen... songs and albums like that tend to burn out real quick... I want one that's gonna take a few listens before it clicks and I have a feeling that's what's gonna happen with this one, thank God.

Comment

• Rikk
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR'sCock
              Yeah, cause Diver Down has such lame songs like The Full Bug and Hang 'em High!!!! Hey Rikk, hope all is well man!!
              COCK!

Long time no speak, brethren. So glad to see another awesome mother fucker from the past here!
              Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
              Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

wtf ... that song sucks! What's with the keyboards and why waste a good song like Down in Flames on something like that??

The full song better be a lot better but count me as disappointed... She's the Woman was a lot better.
                I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Matt White
                  • Jun 2004

Reading some of these replies is cracking me up.............

Like I won't own this the SECOND its available......

ITS DAVID LEE ROTH WITH VAN HALEN........I've been waiting for this since I was 18...which is A LONG FUCKING TIME AGO........

My FAVORITE BAND EVER......2/3 is better than ANY of the bullshit I had to put up with to get to this point..............

I'm on board Mofos!!!!

Comment

• Antman
                    Commando
                    • Jan 2004

Wasn't too impressed. In a way this might be good since whenever they released new stuff in the past (w Dave) it had to grow on me. I remember when 1984 came out I was majorly disappointed. Now I love that album-minus Jump.
                    When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

• Antman
                      Commando
                      • Jan 2004

Ya know, the more I listen, the more I like it. Classic Al sound, Dave sounds pretty decent, def within his range and you know Ed is waitin to rip. Almost like Push Comes to Shove.
                      When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

• SNIPER
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jun 2004

I have listened to it about 50 times already. I fucking love it. 30 seconds of one song made my year. Can't wait for the rest of it. I am in VAN HEAVEN!!!! What a great fucking year this will be!!!

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                          Veteran
                          • Jun 2005

I have listened to it and frankly i like what i heard. No one can listen to this and make any kind of intelligent decision as to whether it is killer or it sucks. I know i heard Dave's voice and that was all i needed to travel on. I'm am good to go.
                          RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                          LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Zing!
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2011

Nothing for nothing - maybe this is just me - but it seems that what most people are hung up on here is the fact that Dave is singing over himself toward the end of this preview track. He never really did that in the 6-pack so that it was completely obvious (and only recently did it on the Best Of... disk) It is jarring to say the least when you think of classic Van Halen - I think we all were expecting a bit of harmonizing from Ed and Wolf rather than from Dave and Dave - but who knows... maybe it's one little bit of one song. I hope the whole album is not like that; it's one of the things that has always bugged me about CFTH and Skyscraper - hell, most of Dave's solo work. We expect old school background vocals done right when it comes to VH. If it's right for this particular verse, or even this particular song, I can live with it.
                            My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• njbill
                              Full On Cocktard
                              • Mar 2006

Not digging the Bert Tuggle Keys. But like everyone said, it's 30 seconds of a 13 song album.

Comment

• Jetstream
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Dec 2011

Been listening to that excerpt from Tattoo and I love the way it is constructed and that chorus is a really catchy kick ass one that you only get a snippet of...I really like it and I already know from Cafe Wha? the energy to She's the Woman and they have a new version of Bullethead on the lp...this going to be good. I love the titles to the tracks which where posted, if they hold to be true
                                I got lost in the...

Comment

Working...