Thread: NAMM Show 2012

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up

Charvel was back in a big way this year, and had a separate booth downstairs from the Fender exhibit...

Of course the Demartini's were represented...

They brought the Stars back for 2012...

And they had a bunch of new naturals...

It was the candy store you'd expect it to be, yes...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Charvel was back in a big way this year, and had a separate booth downstairs from the Fender exhibit...

Of course the Demartini's were represented...
    They cost $3800 here.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pretty sure that's the going rate for the signature series, yes...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's probably more than DiMartini made last year.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    That's probably more than DiMartini made last year.
    Met him (again) at the show last year - doesn't seem to be hurting...

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks again for posting up these machines J.

It's funny, I have a friend who gets the Carvin catalogs and he calls them the new playboy.

(we salivate at high end goods)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillsNSpills View Post
    Thanks again for posting up these machines J.

It's funny, I have a friend who gets the Carvin catalogs and he calls them the new playboy.

(we salivate at high end goods)
    Yep, hard not to walk from booth to booth going "SCHWING! - SCHWING! - SCHWING!" or just straight up soiling yourself at points... I think the most drool-worthy points on the trip for me were the Charvel and EVH/Fender/Jackson exhibits, and all things Pro Tools in the Avid exhibit.

Speaking of Carvin, walked by their booth as Alan Holdsworth was playing, if I hadn't been late for another appointment would've loved to have checked out his set!

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yep, hard not to walk from booth to booth going "SCHWING! - SCHWING! - SCHWING!" or just straight up soiling yourself at points... I think the most drool-worthy points on the trip for me were the Charvel and EVH/Fender/Jackson exhibits, and all things Pro Tools in the Avid exhibit.

Speaking of Carvin, walked by their booth as Alan Holdsworth was playing, if I hadn't been late for another appointment would've loved to have checked out his set!
    I bumped into Holdsworth after a long drive in a club in New Haven about 20 years ago (at the bar of course) I was shocked to be standing next to him and did my best Cindy Brady on TV freeze impression. He proceeded to get on stage and wail like nobody's business. (playing Steinbergers)

A policeman got on stage and gave him a ticket for playing 5204 notes in a 800 note zone. We carried our jaws home that night.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Let's give the drummers some love...

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd like to see that kit under stage lights!
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Right on, man!

Those 1-watt Marshall heads look cool, lol. For 1 watt, I would hope they do not cost too much. Do the fronts match the model? Do they have a JCM800-1? Tube heads?
    Yes, they are all tube. Pretty dang cool too boot. 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2000 era amps. The JCM800 was said to be very much like the Jubilee tone wise with the boost engaged. and it is a tube boost not a diode. I didn't find the DSL info

JTM-1
    2 x ECC83 preamp valves, 1 x ECC82 power valve
    Loudness and Tone controls
    Amber power indicator light and Vintage Power Switch
    Original Marshall ‘Block’ Logo
    Era correct cosmetics
    8 & 16 Ohm Speaker Outputs
    Power Switch (1w > 0.1w)
    Commemorative Rear Panel Plaque
    Available January 2012

JMP-1
    2 x ECC83 preamp valves, 2 x ECC81 power valve
    Volume, Bass and Treble Controls
    Authentic Red Power Indicator Light and Vintage Power Switch
    Era Correct Cosmetics
    Rear Panel Gain Boost Switch
    Power Switch (1w > 0.1w)
    Available March 2012

JCM-1
    Preamp, Master, Bass, Middle and Treble Controls
    Boost Switch
    High Sensitivity Input
    Era Correct Cosmetics
    Power Switch (1w > 0.1w)
    Available June 2012

JVM-1
    Two Channels – Clean and OD (footswitchable)
    Clean Volume, OD Volume & Gain plus Bass, Middle, Treble and Presence controls.
    Channel and Resonance Switches
    FX Loop
    Emulated Line Out
    Footswitch Included
    Era Correct Cosmetics
    Power Switch (1w > 0.1w)
    Available October 2012
    This space for rent.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    This year has been far...sillier than recent ones...taking lots of pics I'll get around to posting tommorow or Monday...still here... It's been a blur, but met with Avid, hung out with Pete from iheartguitar.com for a bit (cool dude, great guitar blog) and of course the Floyd Upgrades/Boogie Bodies/D-Tuna gang...teched a friend's band's quickie set at the MTD charity gig...good times!

And though I'm not usually into showing my mug here my friend did shoot some footage of me checking out the 50-watt EVH 5150 III head...

http://www.twitvid.com/ARJZ6
    I can't get your video to stream, it plays about a second and stops. Starts and stops the whole way through. Tell us more about the tone with that EVH 50 watter. I pre ordered one the other day from musicians friend. Got 15% off and couldn't pass it up for $849. I'm going to try it out on my Marshall 1936 2x12 with V30s but will most likley get the two 1x12 cabs if I dig it. Maybe the matching 2x12 but I like the look of the two cabs for the stack look. With the resonance knob I think it may have some nice tones the bigger one can't get, maybe a little warmer? Tell us your thoughts on the tone!!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up I frickin' love it.

Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    I can't get your video to stream, it plays about a second and stops. Starts and stops the whole way through. Tell us more about the tone with that EVH 50 watter. I pre ordered one the other day from musicians friend. Got 15% off and couldn't pass it up for $849. I'm going to try it out on my Marshall 1936 2x12 with V30s but will most likley get the two 1x12 cabs if I dig it. Maybe the matching 2x12 but I like the look of the two cabs for the stack look. With the resonance knob I think it may have some nice tones the bigger one can't get, maybe a little warmer? Tell us your thoughts on the tone!!
    Hmm, hadn't heard of playback issues on it, played on my PC at the office today...sorry.
    Dude, the thing smokes. I wish you could see(and hear) the vid; the entire 1st bit of it I'm goofing around on the middle channel, and it's got that open, not-too preampy grind going on, it's not buzzy...and still gives you a lead tone that doesn't make you struggle... My buddy mentions it's doing the rock thing but he's thinking it's the lead channel and therefore wouldn't do metal "That's all the low end you're getting?" We switch channels to find someone had dialed it's volume to 0, bumped it up and plyed a riff with a lot of low-E palm-muting, and it's HUGE. Even more effortless liquid lead tone on that channel.The clean tone sounds useabe but that's real hard to judge in that din...But yes, think the resonace knob adds something, becauause it was KILLING through a 2x12 next to a 100 through a 4x12... I think you'll dig it!
    Last edited by jhale667; 01-23-2012 at 09:02 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Where are they making the Gretsch guitars these days? Really going with a 50 Watt head and a 2x12 cab makes more sense than what they did with the 5150 combo Peavey made. I used to have one and it was just too heavy to haul around. It's easier to pack a small head and cab that to have it all in one. So I think that's EVH/Fender answer for a 50 watt combo. Looks like some nice customizing but for me, I think Fender guitars look best plain. They just don't look right with fancy woods, carving and inlays. I think Fenders look the coolest when they are well worn especially when the lacquer has worn off on spots on a maple fretboard. Leo Fender was always about a bang for the buck and function. That is where the beauty lies. It's like an old Volkswagen. They look best stock. When people put on fancy wheels and drop them and do the fancy paint jobs, they just don't look right.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hmm, hadn't heard of playback issues on it, played on my PC at the office today...sorry.
    Dude, the thing smokes. I wish you could see(and hear) the vid; the entire 1st bit of it I'm goofing around on the middle channel, and it's got that open, not-too preampy grind going on, it's not buzzy...and still gives you a lead tone that doesn't make you struggle... My buddy mentions it's doing the rock thing but he's thinking it's the lead channel and therefore wouldn't do metal "That's all the low end you're getting?" We switch channels to find someone had dialed it's volume to 0, bumped it up and plyed a riff with a lot of low-E palm-muting, and it's HUGE. Even more effortless liquid lead tone on that channel.The clean tone sounds useabe but that's real hard to judge in that din...But yes, think the resonace knob adds something, becauause it was KILLING through a 2x12 next to a 100 through a 4x12... I think you'll dig it!
    Yeah you had it chuncking along. For a second I thought you were going to break into Unchained. How it sounds is one thing but how it responds while playing it is another. I have some solid state rack stuff that sounds pretty decent but it messes me up because it doesn't react or play like a tube rig. On my 100 watt head the resonance has a huge effect on the tone. I like the sound of the middle channel best but it is addicting to get into that high gain channel because the amp just screams. The clean channel sounds pretty good if you use an open back cabinet with it.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 01-24-2012 at 12:24 AM.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Awesome work again J!
    Did you takes these pics on the BB?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Awesome work again J!
    Did you takes these pics on the BB?
    Thanks! Yeah, I did, hence the auto-focus blurriness on some of them... this trip basically confirmed my suspicion that my next phone is gonna be an iPhone... 8 mexapixels vs. 5.... never mind all the guitar apps (and Flash) that don't work on the BB....I'm over it.

To Nitro's point, the LAST thing you wanna do at NAMM is be the 11,000th guy to pick up a guitar in the EVH exhibit and start rehashing VH riffs... that's what everybody else does... Can't really help the tapping, it's an integral part of my style, but not gonna go full cover vibe in there...
    Last edited by jhale667; 01-24-2012 at 10:42 AM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    To Nitro's point, the LAST thing you wanna do at NAMM is be the 11,000th guy to pick up a guitar in the EVH exhibit and start rehashing VH riffs... that's what everybody else does... Can't really help the tapping, it's an integral part of my style, but not gonna go full cover vibe in there...
    Good point. You were smart to just pull up the driveway without going into the garage. I never liked the looks of the Wolfgang guitars but I love the way they play. They actually are pretty damn versatile guitars. I can actually make mine sound like a big fat Telecaster if I want. I think the pickups have enough balls without going overboard and losing the tone that a lower powered pickup would have. To be honest, all of the EVH stuff I have bought over the years has been very reliable. I haven't had anything break yet and it all sounds good. I think the prices are a little steep with the new Fender made stuff for what it is but then you will only pay for it once. The stuff will last for years.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 01-24-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I too am admittedly not completely into the looks of the Wolfgang, but the Stealth with the flat-black finish and black hardware is about the coolest one I've seen - and of course I LOVE ebony fingerboards, so it wins... gotta say that Special wasn't too shabby either...!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks! Yeah, I did, hence the auto-focus blurriness on some of them... this trip basically confirmed my suspicion that my next phone is gonna be an iPhone... 8 mexapixels vs. 5.... never mind all the guitar apps (and Flash) that don't work on the BB....I'm over it.
    :
    Just wondering because my BB pics look like ass in resolution. Just wondering if I should alter the settings.
    Good lighting def. has a factor when shooting with those things....
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Just wondering because my BB pics look like ass in resolution. Just wondering if I should alter the settings.
    Good lighting def. has a factor when shooting with those things....
    So true. And yeah, the dim lighting in some of the exhibits made it REALLY difficult to get great shots - I'm surprised the ones in the Charvel booth came out as good as they did, it was driving me batty. Are you using the auto-focus, or no? It's kind of hit-and-miss with it on, but seems to be a complete miss without. I find if I hold still for a sec it tends to be able to grab a decent shot with it on, but action shots, not so much. I hear the iPhone is waaay better at it.

Thread Information