X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJtheVagPounder
    Head Fluffer
    • Oct 2009

Thus far the reviews seem pretty good..

I heard on the radio there were a few people that have heard the new album and gave it positive reviews. So I looked around and found this:

Originally posted by ultimateclassicrock.com
    Reportedly a few lucky people have already gotten to hear the new Van Halen record ‘A Different Kind of Truth,’ well ahead of its Feb. 7 street date. Judging from the internet accounts of these highly guarded listening sessions, the band’s first outing with original singer David Lee Roth in nearly 30 years is going to make fans pretty happy.
    MelodicRock.com reports that one retailer, who had an Interscope executive fly out for a special playback session, labeled the record “overall, heavier than I expected,” and singled out the songs ‘China Town,’ ‘Big River’ and ‘Beats Workin” as highlights. They also went on to say that ‘She’s the Woman,’ as previewed at the band’s recent New York City club show, was better than the official first single ‘Tattoo.’

A post on the VHLinks message board quotes another, unnamed source, who runs down every song on the album in mostly favorable terms, and also declares ‘A Different Kind of Truth’ “better than anticipated.” They go so far as to cite ‘You and Your Blues’ as “probably the coolest VH track I’ve heard,” adding they “didn’t think Eddie had this sort of thing in him.” Which boggles our mind a bit — what hasn’t Edward Van Halen shown he can do with a guitar?

If this review is accurate the record also features a couple of ballads, including “real surprise” ‘As Is,’ which is described as “melodic, slower, understated in many ways” and ultimately, “the best track on the album.” Of course, these reports should be taken with a grain of salt. Hopefully soon enough we’ll all get our chance to hear this eagerly anticipated album. Until then, it’s a steady diet of the first six albums on repeat out here, how about you?
  • Mr Walker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Maybe 'As Is' is a reboot of 'Angel Eyes'?

Comment

• Zing!
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

I find it encouraging that several different sources all seem to be citing different tracks as 'the best song on the album.'
      My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Vedy intedesding...

Comment

• VAiN
          Use my hand, I won't look
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

If Tattoo is the weaker of the lot, we're in for one helluva treat! I love what Dave does on Tattoo, he's such a creative writer and it makes you pay attention and actually want to hear and know the words... it's so fucking refreshing!!!!
          Originally posted by wiseguy
          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

Pretty thin "sources".........

Then again.......
            Originally posted by vandeleur
            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• VAiN
              Use my hand, I won't look
              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by kwame k
              Pretty thin "sources".........

Then again.......
              Agreed... my source tells me it's going to blow my fucking doors off. Oh wait, that's me.
              Originally posted by wiseguy
              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• kwame k
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by VAiN
                Agreed... my source tells me it's going to blow my fucking doors off. Oh wait, that's me.
                Ha! Mine too

Tattoo has exceed my expectations and She's the Woman was killing it live.....2 down 11 to go.
                Originally posted by vandeleur
                E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

It's encouraging that different tunes are being singled out.

However, how you receive the album will have a lot to do with your expectations - will most people be happy with 'good' or are we all holding out for 'great'?
                  The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

MelodicRock in my opinion is a lot more credible than many people here think...

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by binnie

However, how you receive the album will have a lot to do with your expectations - will most people be happy with 'good' or are we all holding out for 'great'?
                      If it has heavier and better songs that Tattoo (and Tattoo is pretty darn good) it's gonna be GRATE !!!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

:
                        Originally posted by ELVIS
                        MelodicRock in my opinion is a lot more credible than many people here think...
                        Really??

VV aint with ya on that one, E.

=V V=
                        ole No.1 The finest
                        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

It's mainly only on Van Halen that their credibility was questioned...

Andrew was just posting the BS stories that were out there...

Comment

• JJtheVagPounder
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by binnie

I am going in with the expectation of it being better than any other "rock" album in recent years.

Comment

• Droomer5150
                              Roadie
                              • Jan 2012

China Town,’ ‘Big River’ and ‘Beats Workin” Anyone think for some strange reason that "China Town" is a new version of Act Like it Hurts, Big River could be "Big Trouble" and "Beats Working might be "Put Out the Lights". I don't know why I thought that just "Chinatown" sort of has a badass sound to it. And Big River-big trouble. Hahaha pretty bad intuition I know, but just a thought. I hope a new version of "Put Out the Lights" is on the new album, I love that song! Oh and "We Die Bold" is pretty badass! That might even be "Chinatown". Not to mention "Lets Get Rockin" . Even "Women in Love" (the demo version), "Young and Wild" and "Babe don't leave me Alone". Now I'm just get carried away! I need to leave space for brand new songs as well, if there's any.
                              SMOOTH INTENTIONS, RIGHT NOW, EMILY JOY, CHRIS GIBBS BAND, RUN RIOT! (Def Leppard), KISSTAKE (Kiss), SNAKEBITE (Whitesnake). Recording/Session Drumming http://www.youtube.com/joshkosh95 https://twitter.com/joshcgallagher https://www.facebook.com/joshgallaghermusic

Comment

Working...