Thread: Thus far the reviews seem pretty good..

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2014 @ 12:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thus far the reviews seem pretty good..

I heard on the radio there were a few people that have heard the new album and gave it positive reviews. So I looked around and found this:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-h...early-reviews/

Quote Originally Posted by ultimateclassicrock.com
    Reportedly a few lucky people have already gotten to hear the new Van Halen record ‘A Different Kind of Truth,’ well ahead of its Feb. 7 street date. Judging from the internet accounts of these highly guarded listening sessions, the band’s first outing with original singer David Lee Roth in nearly 30 years is going to make fans pretty happy.
    MelodicRock.com reports that one retailer, who had an Interscope executive fly out for a special playback session, labeled the record “overall, heavier than I expected,” and singled out the songs ‘China Town,’ ‘Big River’ and ‘Beats Workin” as highlights. They also went on to say that ‘She’s the Woman,’ as previewed at the band’s recent New York City club show, was better than the official first single ‘Tattoo.’

A post on the VHLinks message board quotes another, unnamed source, who runs down every song on the album in mostly favorable terms, and also declares ‘A Different Kind of Truth’ “better than anticipated.” They go so far as to cite ‘You and Your Blues’ as “probably the coolest VH track I’ve heard,” adding they “didn’t think Eddie had this sort of thing in him.” Which boggles our mind a bit — what hasn’t Edward Van Halen shown he can do with a guitar?

If this review is accurate the record also features a couple of ballads, including “real surprise” ‘As Is,’ which is described as “melodic, slower, understated in many ways” and ultimately, “the best track on the album.” Of course, these reports should be taken with a grain of salt. Hopefully soon enough we’ll all get our chance to hear this eagerly anticipated album. Until then, it’s a steady diet of the first six albums on repeat out here, how about you?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2021 @ 10:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe 'As Is' is a reboot of 'Angel Eyes'?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I find it encouraging that several different sources all seem to be citing different tracks as 'the best song on the album.'

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Vedy intedesding...

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

If Tattoo is the weaker of the lot, we're in for one helluva treat! I love what Dave does on Tattoo, he's such a creative writer and it makes you pay attention and actually want to hear and know the words... it's so fucking refreshing!!!!

6. Thanked VAiN for this KICKASS post:

ELVIS (01-17-2012)

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Pretty thin "sources".........

Then again.......

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    Pretty thin "sources".........

Then again.......
    Agreed... my source tells me it's going to blow my fucking doors off. Oh wait, that's me.

9. 3 users say thank you to VAiN for this KICKASS post:

fifth element (01-22-2012),kwame k (01-17-2012),vandeleur (01-22-2012)

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Agreed... my source tells me it's going to blow my fucking doors off. Oh wait, that's me.
    Ha! Mine too

Tattoo has exceed my expectations and She's the Woman was killing it live.....2 down 11 to go.

11. 3 users say thank you to kwame k for this KICKASS post:

Cruiser (01-22-2012),fifth element (01-22-2012),VAiN (01-17-2012)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

It's encouraging that different tunes are being singled out.

However, how you receive the album will have a lot to do with your expectations - will most people be happy with 'good' or are we all holding out for 'great'?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    MelodicRock in my opinion is a lot more credible than many people here think...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post

However, how you receive the album will have a lot to do with your expectations - will most people be happy with 'good' or are we all holding out for 'great'?
    If it has heavier and better songs that Tattoo (and Tattoo is pretty darn good) it's gonna be GRATE !!!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

:
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    MelodicRock in my opinion is a lot more credible than many people here think...
    Really??

VV aint with ya on that one, E.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It's mainly only on Van Halen that their credibility was questioned...

Andrew was just posting the BS stories that were out there...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post

I am going in with the expectation of it being better than any other "rock" album in recent years.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2016 @ 07:49 AM
    Status
    Thanks

China Town,’ ‘Big River’ and ‘Beats Workin” Anyone think for some strange reason that "China Town" is a new version of Act Like it Hurts, Big River could be "Big Trouble" and "Beats Working might be "Put Out the Lights". I don't know why I thought that just "Chinatown" sort of has a badass sound to it. And Big River-big trouble. Hahaha pretty bad intuition I know, but just a thought. I hope a new version of "Put Out the Lights" is on the new album, I love that song! Oh and "We Die Bold" is pretty badass! That might even be "Chinatown". Not to mention "Lets Get Rockin" . Even "Women in Love" (the demo version), "Young and Wild" and "Babe don't leave me Alone". Now I'm just get carried away! I need to leave space for brand new songs as well, if there's any.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,503 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Droomer5150 View Post
    China Town,’ ‘Big River’ and ‘Beats Workin” Anyone think for some strange reason that "China Town" is a new version of Act Like it Hurts, Big River could be "Big Trouble" and "Beats Working might be "Put Out the Lights". I don't know why I thought that just "Chinatown" sort of has a badass sound to it. And Big River-big trouble. Hahaha pretty bad intuition I know, but just a thought. I hope a new version of "Put Out the Lights" is on the new album, I love that song! Oh and "We Die Bold" is pretty badass! That might even be "Chinatown". Not to mention "Lets Get Rockin" . Even "Women in Love" (the demo version), "Young and Wild" and "Babe don't leave me Alone". Now I'm just get carried away! I need to leave space for brand new songs as well, if there's any.
    Honestly, even if the ENTIRE album turns out to be reworkings of those old Simmons/WB mid-1970's unreleased demos...this ain't necessarily a bad thing.
    In some respects, I'd be more jazzed about using those old tunes as templates for creating updated or tweaked versions of them than the idea of Ed coming up with an entire album of new stuff from scratch; from what I've heard in the last 15 years, Ed's songwriting sensibilities post-1996...not so good...not nearly on a par with what they once were in terms of material suitable for recording considering Dave is back in the fold.
    If they wanna channel the CVH sound, there's no better way to do it than go back to the past when CVH was firing on all cylinders. I could give a shit if it's old material; if it works, the result is timeless...just like the 6-pack.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Honestly, even if the ENTIRE album turns out to be reworkings of those old Simmons/WB mid-1970's unreleased demos...this ain't necessarily a bad thing.
    In some respects, I'd be more jazzed about using those old tunes as templates for creating updated or tweaked versions of them than the idea of Ed coming up with an entire album of new stuff from scratch; from what I've heard in the last 15 years, Ed's songwriting sensibilities post-1996...not so good...not nearly on a par with what they once were in terms of material suitable for recording considering Dave is back in the fold.
    If they wanna channel the CVH sound, there's no better way to do it than go back to the past when CVH was firing on all cylinders. I could give a shit if it's old material; if it works, the result is timeless...just like the 6-pack.

I agree only in this way: Ed and Sam and Everyone agrees that Ed has "locked up in the vault reams of music". So if that is true....why not use it? Other than that....nice to see Ed viable again as a co-songwriter. So "new" music is something I like. Still shows you are flexible.

That is all.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2018 @ 08:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    and me....
    and?

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-21-2015 @ 04:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

VAN HALEN
    Tattoo (4:43)
    Interscope

Van Halen's first new song with David Lee Roth in more than 15 years finds the group putting its stamp back on the music world -- er, make that its tramp stamp. "Tattoo," the first single from the group's upcoming album "A Different Kind of Truth," gets its ink on as Roth -- over a meaty, stomping blues-rock groove -- lets us know he's got "Elvis on my elbow," as well as the socially conscious number of his uncle's union chapter on his shoulder, and he slings enough lingo (Swap Meet Sally, trampstamp cat, mousewife and momshell) to let us know he's seen at least a few episodes of "L.A. Ink." Roth also lets loose with a signature "Woo!" and delivers a spoken section, while the song's title is used as a funky chorus chant. The best news for fans, however, is that Eddie Van Halen delivers a killer solo -- as razor-sharp and on-form as one could hope -- reprising some of the licks with some lightning soloing at the end of the song. If Van Halen was looking to show off its return to recording virility, the group can wear "Tattoo" proudly.

by Gary Graff, Detroit | January 10, 2012 2:15 EST

http://www.billboard.com/features/be...05832552.story

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    03-08-2020 @ 09:38 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I read the article posted here by JJ and noticed it was posted 2 weeks ago. Needless to say the commenters seemed to be the same spambo-lovers.

Spencer Brokaw LOL..PUT ASIDE PERSONAL FEELINGS OF NOSTALGIA ...AND NO HUMAN CAN CALL THIS SONG GOOD!!! ITS TERRIBILE IN EVERY SENSE OF THE WORD..I LIKE BOTH VERSIONS OF VH BUT CLEARLY SAMMY HAS AGED BETTER AND SINGS BETTER AND MUSICALLY ITS NOT CLOSE CHICKENFOOT BLOWS VH AWAY..PERIOD END OF DISCUSSION
    Clearly, sammy has aged better. Clearly.

I used to be dumb too. I used to think that being able to sing was more important.. then I turned 13.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Haters gonna hate.. it's hard to take some jerk-off who types in all CAPS seriously..

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Haters gonna hate.. it's hard to take some jerk-off who types in all CAPS seriously..
    For real. Whenever I read something like that I imagine Sammy sitting at his computer, all mad like, with a half drank bottle of tequila and tears just streaming down his face as if he was a five year old that just watched Bambi’s mom get shot down for the first time.

“DAVE IS NOT BETTER THAN ME! HE’S NOT!”

Sammy, you are the only one in denial here…..

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2017 @ 01:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I gotta admit , most " new " albums by most other bands that I purchase take me a few listens to digest .
    Not this time . A Different Kind Of Truth isn't like most new albums and Van Halen isn't most other bands .
    A Different Kind Of Truth had me from the very first note . All long awaited expectations were not
    only met but far exceeded . Not one weak track on the entire release .
    Van Halen with DLR in tow is a havoc wreaking machine again . Edward is still the King of Six Strings , Alex and Wolfgang are a monster rhythm section . The trademark harmonies sound better than ever and the band plays tight as a mousehole . So far , " Stay Frosty " is my favorite . It had me from the git-go . It's very Roth . Five Stars outta Five . A perfect 10 on a 10 scale . Well done =VH= , well done !
    Last edited by Green Manalishi; 02-13-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Thread Information