X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Droomer5150
    China Town,’ ‘Big River’ and ‘Beats Workin” Anyone think for some strange reason that "China Town" is a new version of Act Like it Hurts, Big River could be "Big Trouble" and "Beats Working might be "Put Out the Lights". I don't know why I thought that just "Chinatown" sort of has a badass sound to it. And Big River-big trouble. Hahaha pretty bad intuition I know, but just a thought. I hope a new version of "Put Out the Lights" is on the new album, I love that song! Oh and "We Die Bold" is pretty badass! That might even be "Chinatown". Not to mention "Lets Get Rockin" . Even "Women in Love" (the demo version), "Young and Wild" and "Babe don't leave me Alone". Now I'm just get carried away! I need to leave space for brand new songs as well, if there's any.
    Honestly, even if the ENTIRE album turns out to be reworkings of those old Simmons/WB mid-1970's unreleased demos...this ain't necessarily a bad thing.
    In some respects, I'd be more jazzed about using those old tunes as templates for creating updated or tweaked versions of them than the idea of Ed coming up with an entire album of new stuff from scratch; from what I've heard in the last 15 years, Ed's songwriting sensibilities post-1996...not so good...not nearly on a par with what they once were in terms of material suitable for recording considering Dave is back in the fold.
    If they wanna channel the CVH sound, there's no better way to do it than go back to the past when CVH was firing on all cylinders. I could give a shit if it's old material; if it works, the result is timeless...just like the 6-pack.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• SunisinuS
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • May 2010

Originally posted by Terry
      Honestly, even if the ENTIRE album turns out to be reworkings of those old Simmons/WB mid-1970's unreleased demos...this ain't necessarily a bad thing.
      In some respects, I'd be more jazzed about using those old tunes as templates for creating updated or tweaked versions of them than the idea of Ed coming up with an entire album of new stuff from scratch; from what I've heard in the last 15 years, Ed's songwriting sensibilities post-1996...not so good...not nearly on a par with what they once were in terms of material suitable for recording considering Dave is back in the fold.
      If they wanna channel the CVH sound, there's no better way to do it than go back to the past when CVH was firing on all cylinders. I could give a shit if it's old material; if it works, the result is timeless...just like the 6-pack.

I agree only in this way: Ed and Sam and Everyone agrees that Ed has "locked up in the vault reams of music". So if that is true....why not use it? Other than that....nice to see Ed viable again as a co-songwriter. So "new" music is something I like. Still shows you are flexible.

That is all.
      Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• fifth element
        Commando
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VAiN
        Agreed... my source tells me it's going to blow my fucking doors off. Oh wait, that's me.
        and me....
        and?
        “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• guwapo_rocker
          Sniper
          • Jan 2004

VAN HALEN
          Tattoo (4:43)
          Interscope

Van Halen's first new song with David Lee Roth in more than 15 years finds the group putting its stamp back on the music world -- er, make that its tramp stamp. "Tattoo," the first single from the group's upcoming album "A Different Kind of Truth," gets its ink on as Roth -- over a meaty, stomping blues-rock groove -- lets us know he's got "Elvis on my elbow," as well as the socially conscious number of his uncle's union chapter on his shoulder, and he slings enough lingo (Swap Meet Sally, trampstamp cat, mousewife and momshell) to let us know he's seen at least a few episodes of "L.A. Ink." Roth also lets loose with a signature "Woo!" and delivers a spoken section, while the song's title is used as a funky chorus chant. The best news for fans, however, is that Eddie Van Halen delivers a killer solo -- as razor-sharp and on-form as one could hope -- reprising some of the licks with some lightning soloing at the end of the song. If Van Halen was looking to show off its return to recording virility, the group can wear "Tattoo" proudly.

by Gary Graff, Detroit | January 10, 2012 2:15 EST

WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• neuralfraud
            Head Fluffer
            • Aug 2010

I read the article posted here by JJ and noticed it was posted 2 weeks ago. Needless to say the commenters seemed to be the same spambo-lovers.

Spencer Brokaw LOL..PUT ASIDE PERSONAL FEELINGS OF NOSTALGIA ...AND NO HUMAN CAN CALL THIS SONG GOOD!!! ITS TERRIBILE IN EVERY SENSE OF THE WORD..I LIKE BOTH VERSIONS OF VH BUT CLEARLY SAMMY HAS AGED BETTER AND SINGS BETTER AND MUSICALLY ITS NOT CLOSE CHICKENFOOT BLOWS VH AWAY..PERIOD END OF DISCUSSION
            Clearly, sammy has aged better. Clearly.

I used to be dumb too. I used to think that being able to sing was more important.. then I turned 13.

Comment

• VAiN
              Use my hand, I won't look
              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Haters gonna hate.. it's hard to take some jerk-off who types in all CAPS seriously..
              Originally posted by wiseguy
              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• JJtheVagPounder
                Head Fluffer
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by VAiN
                Haters gonna hate.. it's hard to take some jerk-off who types in all CAPS seriously..
                For real. Whenever I read something like that I imagine Sammy sitting at his computer, all mad like, with a half drank bottle of tequila and tears just streaming down his face as if he was a five year old that just watched Bambi’s mom get shot down for the first time.

“DAVE IS NOT BETTER THAN ME! HE’S NOT!”

Sammy, you are the only one in denial here…..

Comment

• Green Manalishi
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jul 2010

I gotta admit , most " new " albums by most other bands that I purchase take me a few listens to digest .
                  Not this time . A Different Kind Of Truth isn't like most new albums and Van Halen isn't most other bands .
                  A Different Kind Of Truth had me from the very first note . All long awaited expectations were not
                  only met but far exceeded . Not one weak track on the entire release .
                  Van Halen with DLR in tow is a havoc wreaking machine again . Edward is still the King of Six Strings , Alex and Wolfgang are a monster rhythm section . The trademark harmonies sound better than ever and the band plays tight as a mousehole . So far , " Stay Frosty " is my favorite . It had me from the git-go . It's very Roth . Five Stars outta Five . A perfect 10 on a 10 scale . Well done =VH= , well done !
                  Last edited by Green Manalishi; 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Working...