Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Ched Chunkhead Opens His Insufferable Piehole And Inserts Both Feet" Thread

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    But not the best one I've heard. I think Jack Russell sounds phenomenal here:
    You could say he sounds on fire...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    I was afraid too listen but it was good. I always liked Jack. Talked to him many times. I hate what happened that awful night. He is a good singer. This would sound a little better live though. Who played guitar ?
    Dweezil. I bought this 10 years ago and listened to it once.

Having Jake E Lee do RWTD was completely pointless, like getting Stu Hamm to do the bass.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Roth & Roll;1599787]I have much more respect for Cherone than I'll ever have for Spam-bot - Cherone at least respected the legacy of this band and didn't let his ego get in the way of trying to perform Classic Van HALEN tunes in concert. Spam-bot did everything he could to shit all over that legacy, and pretend it never existed.[/QUOTE]

Mind you I don't want this fucKER hagar to scream any CVH song...God he has an annoying bitches voice... How would you like your eggs???
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Well, heads did roll, in a sense..... the first one being Cherone's (who ironically had very little involvement in that particular shitty track).

All reports from the Mushroom $tarks at the time suggests that Van Danniels second album was nearly complete in November 1999, when Ga y was unceremoniously dumped from the band. Logic suggests that WB heard a rough mix of the album, and knew it would tank as badly as VDIII did, so they told the band "Fuck this shit. Lose the ballerina and get Roth back in the band, or you're off the label"

Took another 6 years and three horrible new Hagar turds to do it, but WB finally made good on their threat. They even passed on the opportunity to release a REAL Van Halen hits compilation (one with no cheddar on it) to cash in on the 2007/08 reunion tour.

I'll bet someone at WB kicked themselves the moment "Tattoo" hit the airwaves, but after two shitbricks (VDIII and the Hagarized BOVII in 2004) in a row labeled "Van Halen", it seemed like a sound business move at the time to drop them.
    It probably still was a sound move from WB's perspective to drop Van Halen from the label.

I mean, by 2005, all indications were that Van Halen (and Eddie in particular) were washed up...and they couldn't get it together with Roth...and considering what even the biggest-selling albums move in terms of the amount of units sold these days, why bother hanging onto a unit as problematic as Van Halen?

After BOBW and the awful tour that followed, would any WB exec with a modicum of sense be thinking to themselves that they should continue having VH on the label, because in only 7 short years the band will finally get their shit together enough to actually release a full-length album with Dave?

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

. I always liked Jack. I hate what happened that awful night. He is a good singer.

Are you meaning the Station fire? Or this video of Jon Lovitz impersonating him?

it's at the 2:10 mark. Sad

Deserves the humiliation after swearing to never play this song live again.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roth & Roll View Post
    I have much more respect for Cherone than I'll ever have for Spam-bot - Cherone at least respected the legacy of this band and didn't let his ego get in the way of trying to perform Classic Van HALEN tunes in concert. Spam-bot did everything he could to shit all over that legacy, and pretend it never existed.
    Well, I'll have more respect for Cherone in that limited sense re: giving props to CVH. Certainly agreed on that. Said respect really doesn't translate into a higher degree of talent or listenability for Cherone over Hagar, vocally or lyrically.

Cherone didn't have enough sense to realize that after the debacle of 1996, the Van Halens had poisoned the well for ANY 3rd singer the band were gonna bring into the fold...

...although releasing a goddamn awful album (VHIII) didn't exactly help matters in terms of putting the 1996 debacle behind them.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Extreme are one of the only bands I've heard Roth badmouth although I guess that was more about 1996 than anything that happened when they supported him in 1991.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Extreme are one of the only bands I've heard Roth badmouth although I guess that was more about 1996 than anything that happened when they supported him in 1991.
    Nuno is a talented player, but the band did zip for me, song-wise.

9. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (01-23-2012),SNIPER (01-23-2012)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Cherone didn't have enough sense to realize that after the debacle of 1996, the Van Halens had poisoned the well for ANY 3rd singer the band were gonna bring into the fold...
    Maybe he suspected it might but he still had to put food on the table. Extreme had run their course by 1996 and I'm guessing they didn't make enough to set themselves up for life.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Gary was in a no-win situation. I mean, how could anybody turn down that gig down? But to have to take it right after the '96 VMA fiasco...you know the guy had to know the chances of it turning out good were slim to none. And his little fairy dances on stage didn't help his chances

12. 2 users say thank you to DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

Roth & Roll (01-24-2012),TJMKID (01-24-2012)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not completely dissimilar to Roth taking over from Stern.

14. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

GreenEyedMurder (01-23-2012)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Forgot about that one....oops

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What actually went down when they did the live show in Miami?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

[QUOTE=sadaist;1599814]Are you meaning the Station fire? Or this video of Jon Lovitz impersonating him?

it's at the 2:10 mark. Sad

The fire. This was from back surgery gone bad !! Jane Lane took his spot on the tour after he realized his back was still fucked. He should have never been on stage !

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    02-26-2016 @ 10:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    I think the lp cover to VH III was pretty accurate...the guy getting the cannon in the gut was the Van Halen fan base
    Should've been cannonballs to the eardrums.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    What actually went down when they did the live show in Miami?
    It was just the same really you wouldn't notice a huge difference but he pushed it a bit more being away from CBS doing more of the stuff the executives hated like playing lots of foreign language stings, just stuff like a sexy girl saying 'Bonjour et Bienvenue David Lee Roth', it was fine IMHO. He was kind of getting into rambling conversations with his black bodyguard about being brought up in the hood and so on. I actually thought the show was getting a bit better but the CBS people hated it because they were determined that the show be all talk and for 35 year old white American males. After a couple of days they took him off the air. It was assumed he may be sacked but after a lot of fighting he appeared humbled the next week from NYC and the show was pulled back to the absolute minimum and was some of the worst radio I have ever heard with Roth sitting pretty much by himself and told to entertain people for 4 hours by talking. No one could have done that.

It was completely doomed from the start because to do 4 hours talk 5 days a week you need to have guests and they never booked any or when they did it was D and E list. The guests were truely fucking terrible and the main thing that killed him, he wasn't as bad an interviewer as you would imagine.

For the thing to really be a success though they should also have broken it up with music and made it shorter. The show he did a few months previously that got him the gig was more like the Alice Cooper radio show and pretty damn good IMHO.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It was just the same really you wouldn't notice a huge difference but he pushed it a bit more being away from CBS doing more of the stuff the executives hated like playing lots of foreign language stings, just stuff like a sexy girl saying 'Bonjour et Bienvenue David Lee Roth', it was fine IMHO. He was kind of getting into rambling conversations with his black bodyguard about being brought up in the hood and so on. I actually thought the show was getting a bit better but the CBS people hated it because they were determined that the show be all talk and for 35 year old white American males. After a couple of days they took him off the air. It was assumed he may be sacked but after a lot of fighting he appeared humbled the next week from NYC and the show was pulled back to the absolute minimum and was some of the worst radio I have ever heard with Roth sitting pretty much by himself and told to entertain people for 4 hours by talking. No one could have done that.

It was completely doomed from the start because to do 4 hours talk 5 days a week you need to have guests and they never booked any or when they did it was D and E list. The guests were truely fucking terrible and the main thing that killed him, he wasn't as bad an interviewer as you would imagine.

For the thing to really be a success though they should also have broken it up with music and made it shorter. The show he did a few months previously that got him the gig was more like the Alice Cooper radio show and pretty damn good IMHO.
    Thanks Sesh! I streamed the show nearly every day but missed the Miami show. I had always thought something major went down because they pulled him off the air right after that, for what - a day or two? Anyway, I loved the show and if they'd have given it a proper format and let it ride for a few more months, who knows? Don't we have the shows here somewhere? Or was that back in the day at ddlr.com?

The Good,The Bad,&TheUgly
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2016 @ 01:10 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KoolKamper View Post
    No one here bought Van Halen records when Hagar was in the band?
    Why waste my hard earned bucks on a pile of crap?

22. Thanked IceCreamBlondie for this KICKASS post:

Hardrock69 (02-01-2012)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Thanks Sesh! I streamed the show nearly every day but missed the Miami show. I had always thought something major went down because they pulled him off the air right after that, for what - a day or two? Anyway, I loved the show and if they'd have given it a proper format and let it ride for a few more months, who knows? Don't we have the shows here somewhere? Or was that back in the day at ddlr.com?
    We had them at DDLR but lost them. They were up at the CBS radio website for much longer than you would expect, I think about a year.

I found a bunch of CDs with it on them in my garage a while back, I used to burn them each day to listen to. It's long enough ago that it was before I had an iPhone/iPod or whatever to play mp3s on the move.

The funny thing about it is even though it was axed quickly because it was on for 20 hours a week with no music Roth has probably done more hours speaking on radio than a lot of DJs.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-23-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We had them at DDLR but lost them. They were up at the CBS radio website for much longer than you would expect, I think about a year.

I found a bunch of CDs with it on them in my garage a while back, I used to burn them each day to listen to. It's long enough ago that it was before I had an iPhone/iPod or whatever to play mp3s on the move.

The funny thing about it is even though it was axed quickly because it was on for 20 hours a week then Roth has probably done more hours speaking on radio than a lot of DJs.
    Thanks for the info on the old Roth Radio links...I was wondering what happened to them..if they were around after DDLR ended. Guess not!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We should have been better organised but part of the problem was 4 hours of mp3s a day was mounting up to be awkward to move around and to be honest I think the majority of people even on the site only listened when it was reported that Roth had said something about his music.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Can I ask something honestly?

what do you guys think made Ed and Dave go "Fuck it" and bury the hatchet?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Roth learned how to manage Eddie v2.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unchainme View Post

Eddie woke up one day in a drunken haze, called Al and said "Hey man, where the fuck is Roth? We're supposed to be working on the new record." And Al said, "Ed, Dave split in 1985." Ed, "No shit? Really???" And the rest is history

29. 3 users say thank you to DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

Floridaman1985 (01-24-2012),Hardrock69 (02-01-2012),Unchainme (01-23-2012)

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-25-2015 @ 02:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 850 Posts

When Classic Rock did their cover story of 1984 a few months back, they explained it better than anything else I've ever heard....

At the root of it all is David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen's experience of making their last album together, and perhaps the uncomfortable realisation that, due to some cosmic accident, they will forever belong together, regardless of whether or not they can actually stand to be together. "You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band" Charles Young of Musician wrote in 1984. "It's hard to imagine two guys with less in common psycologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry."

I thought that was dead-on.

31. 4 users say thank you to hambon4lif for this KICKASS post:

guwapo_rocker (01-23-2012),IceCreamBlondie (01-23-2012),TJMKID (01-24-2012),Yount (01-24-2012)

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Wolfgang.
    'nuff said.

33. Thanked ThatArtGuy for this KICKASS post:

IceCreamBlondie (01-23-2012)

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2015 @ 02:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Nuno is a talented player, but the band did zip for me, song-wise.
    Not the worlds biggest fan, but I always liked this song

Not sure when they got the Geico caveman to play drums.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for those apology exchanges. I would think Ed must have done the most confessing to fucking up 1996 in 2006 for 2 reasons. First, he really wasn't a very good liar as Dave outlined in "Reunion Blues" and second, in '06, he was still drinking what many people call truth serum. You know he had to have said, "yeah, we were blindly following Al's brother-in-law straight to hell. Sorry 'bout the lies." Atleast this is what I'd like to believe happened as opposed to a different kind of truth. Couldn't resist.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Hmmmm...maybe this incident?

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BITEYOASS View Post

Yep, that right there might have done it...Just another shining example of why we should all be grateful we never have to see Sammy onstage again with Eddie...Geez, what the fuck was that anyway? Looked like they were gonna take the kid's lunch money.....

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Along with the fact that Sammy said there was a night when Wolf was crying and hiding from his father in Sammy's dressing room on that tour. For all of Ed's socialogical wrong doings, which oddly enough, were nothing compared to some of my relatives, I strongly hope he never even bothers to counter any of the drivel Sam has put forth these past 4,5,6 years. It's got to burn him up bad that he's not actually worth dignifying with any kind of response.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Along with the fact that Sammy said there was a night when Wolf was crying and hiding from his father in Sammy's dressing room on that tour. For all of Ed's socialogical wrong doings, which oddly enough, were nothing compared to some of my relatives, I strongly hope he never even bothers to counter any of the drivel Sam has put forth these past 4,5,6 years. It's got to burn him up bad that he's not actually worth dignifying with any kind of response.
    No fucking way!!! That was in Sammy's book? For all you youngsters out there - this is no way to behave in front of children. That said, if you do, don't be surprised if your kid steals your cigarettes, drinks all your booze and hits on your "new" wife while you're passed out in the back of the truck. I'm just sayin...

40. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (01-23-2012)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think Ed wanted to play with Wolfie onstage. As far as Dave goes, he probably got tired of playing the Indian Casino / Ribfest circuit and wanted to play to full stadiums again. And I also think some wisdom came with age now that Dave and Ed were both in their 50s.

I bet it must have been a difficult apology / hash-out session for both of them after so many years.

Just a few thoughts!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I would say Mister Wolfgangs current punches are hurting Samantha and Michelle a shitload more !

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I think a lot of it was Dave was single and had no wife or kids waiting at home plus, I don't think he ever was as fucked up substance addicted as the Van Halens. Plus, Dave is a positive guy and the Van Halens can get pretty damn morbid. I think you have one personality that wants to get out and explore the world and two personalities that are just content staying home and playing music and not really going anywhere. The Van Halens live in a closet and play music and Dave wants to explore the world and see what's here and there and write lyrics about the experience.

I just think they grew apart due to personality differences.

44. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Yount (01-24-2012)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The way things came unglued after 1984 was a little bit more human than the '96 fiasco. Again, in "Reunion Blues", Dave implies that the 1986 mud-slinging fest was erased with a quick "sorry 'bout that" and a hand shake. They must've dug an extra deep grave to bury the MTV hatchet. Dat was ugly!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

The fire. This was from back surgery gone bad !! Jane Lane took his spot on the tour after he realized his back was still fucked. He should have never been on stage !

I know. I just like to post that video. Always loved Jack Russell too. Made me sad to see him like this. The worst one similar to this was Michael Schenker playing hammered. Sounded like a 4 year old picked up the guitar.

47. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

Hardrock69 (02-01-2012)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

In all seriousness, I honestly think that any sit-down, apologize to each other session would have been pretty brief. Dave and Eddie were never "best friends" to begin with. Not like Ed and Sam were - "oooh..I know, let's buy houses next to each other so I can make you sit outside while you smoke..." What the fuck ever. I hope to God that Dave said "Look, it's now or never." PERIOD. I was at the first show of the 2007 tour and the hug they gave each other was good enough for me. I don't need, or want to know (or believe for a second) that they had some kind of 12 step, repent and make amends sort of session. In my mind - and that's the only thing that matters to me - Dave and Ed sat down, said a few things and then Dave said, "Ok, let's fucking GO!!!" Boom, end of story.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Well, whatever the reasons are, they aint as hashed out as you might think.

Zero press. what rock fan doesnt want to hear this story?

Its been 5 years now and not one interview.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I reckon Dave and Eddie have been on speaking terms a lot longer than we know.
    Example, Dave helping Ed when he had cancer. We know they were talking way
    back then !

Thread Information