"The Ched Chunkhead Opens His Insufferable Piehole And Inserts Both Feet" Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Not completely dissimilar to Roth taking over from Stern.

Comment

• So this is love
      Veteran
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Seshmeister

Forgot about that one....oops
      Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

What actually went down when they did the live show in Miami?
        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Apr 2005

[QUOTE=sadaist;1599814]Are you meaning the Station fire? Or this video of Jon Lovitz impersonating him?

it's at the 2:10 mark. Sad

The fire. This was from back surgery gone bad !! Jane Lane took his spot on the tour after he realized his back was still fucked. He should have never been on stage !

Comment

• GreenEyedMurder
            Head Fluffer
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Jetstream
            I think the lp cover to VH III was pretty accurate...the guy getting the cannon in the gut was the Van Halen fan base
            Should've been cannonballs to the eardrums.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DONNIEP
              What actually went down when they did the live show in Miami?
              It was just the same really you wouldn't notice a huge difference but he pushed it a bit more being away from CBS doing more of the stuff the executives hated like playing lots of foreign language stings, just stuff like a sexy girl saying 'Bonjour et Bienvenue David Lee Roth', it was fine IMHO. He was kind of getting into rambling conversations with his black bodyguard about being brought up in the hood and so on. I actually thought the show was getting a bit better but the CBS people hated it because they were determined that the show be all talk and for 35 year old white American males. After a couple of days they took him off the air. It was assumed he may be sacked but after a lot of fighting he appeared humbled the next week from NYC and the show was pulled back to the absolute minimum and was some of the worst radio I have ever heard with Roth sitting pretty much by himself and told to entertain people for 4 hours by talking. No one could have done that.

It was completely doomed from the start because to do 4 hours talk 5 days a week you need to have guests and they never booked any or when they did it was D and E list. The guests were truely fucking terrible and the main thing that killed him, he wasn't as bad an interviewer as you would imagine.

For the thing to really be a success though they should also have broken it up with music and made it shorter. The show he did a few months previously that got him the gig was more like the Alice Cooper radio show and pretty damn good IMHO.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

It was just the same really you wouldn't notice a huge difference but he pushed it a bit more being away from CBS doing more of the stuff the executives hated like playing lots of foreign language stings, just stuff like a sexy girl saying 'Bonjour et Bienvenue David Lee Roth', it was fine IMHO. He was kind of getting into rambling conversations with his black bodyguard about being brought up in the hood and so on. I actually thought the show was getting a bit better but the CBS people hated it because they were determined that the show be all talk and for 35 year old white American males. After a couple of days they took him off the air. It was assumed he may be sacked but after a lot of fighting he appeared humbled the next week from NYC and the show was pulled back to the absolute minimum and was some of the worst radio I have ever heard with Roth sitting pretty much by himself and told to entertain people for 4 hours by talking. No one could have done that.

It was completely doomed from the start because to do 4 hours talk 5 days a week you need to have guests and they never booked any or when they did it was D and E list. The guests were truely fucking terrible and the main thing that killed him, he wasn't as bad an interviewer as you would imagine.

For the thing to really be a success though they should also have broken it up with music and made it shorter. The show he did a few months previously that got him the gig was more like the Alice Cooper radio show and pretty damn good IMHO.
                Thanks Sesh! I streamed the show nearly every day but missed the Miami show. I had always thought something major went down because they pulled him off the air right after that, for what - a day or two? Anyway, I loved the show and if they'd have given it a proper format and let it ride for a few more months, who knows? Don't we have the shows here somewhere? Or was that back in the day at ddlr.com?

Comment

• IceCreamBlondie
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by KoolKamper
                  No one here bought Van Halen records when Hagar was in the band?
                  Why waste my hard earned bucks on a pile of crap?
                  I'm Stayin' Frosty!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                    Thanks Sesh! I streamed the show nearly every day but missed the Miami show. I had always thought something major went down because they pulled him off the air right after that, for what - a day or two? Anyway, I loved the show and if they'd have given it a proper format and let it ride for a few more months, who knows? Don't we have the shows here somewhere? Or was that back in the day at ddlr.com?
                    We had them at DDLR but lost them. They were up at the CBS radio website for much longer than you would expect, I think about a year.

I found a bunch of CDs with it on them in my garage a while back, I used to burn them each day to listen to. It's long enough ago that it was before I had an iPhone/iPod or whatever to play mp3s on the move.

The funny thing about it is even though it was axed quickly because it was on for 20 hours a week with no music Roth has probably done more hours speaking on radio than a lot of DJs.
                    Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-23-2012, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• IceCreamBlondie
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Dec 2008

We had them at DDLR but lost them. They were up at the CBS radio website for much longer than you would expect, I think about a year.

I found a bunch of CDs with it on them in my garage a while back, I used to burn them each day to listen to. It's long enough ago that it was before I had an iPhone/iPod or whatever to play mp3s on the move.

The funny thing about it is even though it was axed quickly because it was on for 20 hours a week then Roth has probably done more hours speaking on radio than a lot of DJs.
                      Thanks for the info on the old Roth Radio links...I was wondering what happened to them..if they were around after DDLR ended. Guess not!
                      I'm Stayin' Frosty!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

We should have been better organised but part of the problem was 4 hours of mp3s a day was mounting up to be awkward to move around and to be honest I think the majority of people even on the site only listened when it was reported that Roth had said something about his music.

Comment

• Unchainme
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Apr 2005

Can I ask something honestly?

what do you guys think made Ed and Dave go "Fuck it" and bury the hatchet?
                          Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Roth learned how to manage Eddie v2.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme

Eddie woke up one day in a drunken haze, called Al and said "Hey man, where the fuck is Roth? We're supposed to be working on the new record." And Al said, "Ed, Dave split in 1985." Ed, "No shit? Really???" And the rest is history

Comment

• hambon4lif
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme

When Classic Rock did their cover story of 1984 a few months back, they explained it better than anything else I've ever heard....

At the root of it all is David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen's experience of making their last album together, and perhaps the uncomfortable realisation that, due to some cosmic accident, they will forever belong together, regardless of whether or not they can actually stand to be together. "You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band" Charles Young of Musician wrote in 1984. "It's hard to imagine two guys with less in common psycologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry."

I thought that was dead-on.

Comment

Working...