Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Van Halen - The Downtown Sessions - "You Really Got Me" Video...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post
    Everybody should holster their criticism a little bit and enjoy the wonder of what we're experiencing. Who knows if it will ever pass this way again?
    Maybe you're right...

I think it's awesome!!!!

Fabulous!

KILLER!!

Fantastic!

EPIC!

Stellar!

Uber EPIC!!!

GRATE even...

Nah...

This is a message board...

Last edited by ELVIS; 01-19-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Just because I can...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guwapo_rocker View Post
    Lars can laugh. He plays the same thing every song.
    Indeed.

James was probably gutted that they had to change the riff in the final version - it's very cool in that earlier form.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,399 Times in 6,055 Posts

You're very easily pleased.

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Maybe you're right...

I think it's awesome!!!!

Fabulous!

KILLER!!

Fantastic!

EPIC!

Stellar!

Uber EPIC!!!

GRATE even

Nah...

This is a message board...

Yes...it is a message board. Too bad your pseudo-apology thread over in Fan Intro. was closed.

I'm sure there were many more messages heading your way.

Casey Anthony would probably get a better fucking welcome here than you did.

As for the topic at hand, nobody is asking you to go over the top and fall in love with everything Ed and Dave do. But the point is that they're working together, and pretty hard by the looks of things, to give the fans what they want. If you're not on board with that ELVIS then maybe you need to ask yourself why you came back.

Other than the reason that you're a rampant attention-whore of course....

5. 2 users say thank you to fryingdutchman for this KICKASS post:

BITEYOASS (01-19-2012),chefcraig (01-19-2012)

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What are "baselines?" You mean like the kind in baseball?

I hope everyone gets a chance to read your little pearls of wisdom before this post lands with the rest...in your DUMP thread.

Asshat.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 01-19-2012 at 11:31 AM.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

I don't have a problem with people giving constructive criticism with any of the things given to us by the band since the 26th announcement...

But I will always look at those from the big picture....

We've been here since 1999, most of the oldtimers here on a DAILY basis, while the band gave us absolutely fucking NOTHING....

And that includes the entire timeframe of the 2007-2008 tour.... Basically the band went on tour, kept their mouth shut, and that was pretty much it....

But now, with the new album in the can, the band went out of their way, FIRST AND FOREMOST, to reach out to their longtime fanbases here, at VHND and at VHLinks....

That, to me, is so fucking cool of them.... I'd like to buy a beer to whoever made that recommendation, I'll tell you that.....

And now, 2 1/2 weeks before the new album is released, we've been getting exclusive videos and pics directly from the band.... The new single/video has been released, and the YRGM acoustic video was just released....

Is "Tattoo" the next "Unchained"? Of course not.... Is the YRGM video performance the next "Hot For Teacher" video? No, but it's obvious, to me anyway, that it was never the band's intention to make it like that.....

So what I'm saying is: Look at the big picture, wait for ADKOT to be released, and enjoy all of this for what it's worth....

8. 15 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Angel (01-19-2012),ashstralia (01-19-2012),chefcraig (01-19-2012),FORD (01-19-2012),fryingdutchman (01-19-2012),GreenEyedMurder (01-19-2012),guwapo_rocker (01-19-2012),Matt White (01-19-2012),mohican (01-19-2012),Nickdfresh (01-19-2012),Roth & Roll (01-19-2012),sambo (01-19-2012),ThatArtGuy (01-19-2012),VAiN (01-19-2012),vandeleur (01-19-2012)

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    I don't have a problem with people giving constructive criticism with any of the things given to us by the band since the 26th announcement...

We've been here since 1999, most of the oldtimers here on a DAILY basis, while the band gave us absolutely fucking NOTHING....

And that includes the entire timeframe of the 2007-2008 tour.... Basically the band went on tour, kept their mouth shut, and that was pretty much it....

But now, with the new album in the can, the band went out of their way, FIRST AND FOREMOST, to reach out to their longtime fanbases here, at VHND and at VHLinks....

That, to me, is so fucking cool of them.... I'd like to buy a beer to whoever made that recommendation, I'll tell you that.....

And now, 2 1/2 weeks before the new album is released, we've been getting exclusive videos and pics directly from the band.... The new single/video has been released, and the YRGM acoustic video was just released....

Is "Tattoo" the next "Unchained"? Of course not.... Is the YRGM video performance the next "Hot For Teacher" video? No, but it's obvious, to me anyway, that it was never the band's intention to make it like that.....

So what I'm saying is: Look at the big picture, wait for ADKOT to be released, and enjoy all of this for what it's worth....

My feelings exactly. Pretty much sums up where I was going back in post #133.

You don't have to love everything Ed and Dave do. But after a drought that lasted as long as it did, you also shouldn't come out ready to shit on them for something that is less than "stellar."

Well said, VA.

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-12-2012 @ 09:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The fact that the YRGM video is a free bonus that's not included for any kind of sale speaks VOLUMES to me about the new direction. It's what everyone has always wanted but to some it still isn't good enough. I just look at the bigger picture.

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-21-2015 @ 04:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Everyone has been screaming for years "open the vault!, open the vault!!"

Well the door is slowly opening, relax and enjoy what we find inside.

It won't all be perfect.

12. 2 users say thank you to guwapo_rocker for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (01-19-2012),Roth & Roll (01-19-2012)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2021 @ 10:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I just hope all the negativity that can be found here and abroad doesn't crack ole Ed's fragile psyche and drive him back to the bottle, or he may just burn the vaults down out of spite.

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    I just hope all the negativity that can be found here and abroad doesn't crack ole Ed's fragile psyche and drive him back to the bottle, or he may just burn the vaults down out of spite.

I've been holding my breath for weeks

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

That was kick ass. Nothing wrong with that at all. Never done, never seen, never heard before. Better than any bootleg we could have hoped for.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Everybody seems to be taking shots at Dave's voice, but was it really that much better back in the day? I mean listen to tracks like 'Bump And Grind' and 'Big Trouble' and he was singing in that strained range back then... i truly think the major difference between Dave's voice then and now is how Templeman captured it.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    I think there's enough positive reaction to offset the smaller volume of negative responses.

I could be wrong... but I don't think the Van Halen brothers had some glorious awakening nor did they hand the reins over to Dave to manage PR as some have speculated. Neither faction has opened up to the fans nor the interweb the way things have the last 3-4 weeks.

I strongly believe this is all the result of the Interscope signing and whoever is managing the Van Halen account over clearly has a solid grasp of the power of the internet and leveraging the fan base.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I guess I am getting old but I don't listen to things over and over again anymore. Once I have heard it, I've heard it. Same with Tattoo. I like this version of YRGM better than tattoo. It's fuckin kickass. I want more of that shit and I want it right fuckin now!

19. Thanked Jagermeister for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (01-19-2012)

fourthcoming
    "Excellent guys, that was sexy".......friggin hysterical. Good to see the boys actually look like they don't want to kill each other anymore.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I think there's enough positive reaction to offset the smaller volume of negative responses.

I could be wrong... but I don't think the Van Halen brothers had some glorious awakening nor did they hand the reins over to Dave to manage PR as some have speculated. Neither faction has opened up to the fans nor the interweb the way things have the last 3-4 weeks.

I strongly believe this is all the result of the Interscope signing and whoever is managing the Van Halen account over clearly has a solid grasp of the power of the internet and leveraging the fan base.
    Outstanding post

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post

I'd love to see the Table of Organization given Dave's management, the Van Halen's management and Interscope.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    Outstanding post
    Please don't encourage ZahZoo to post more... you'll be sorry.

24. Thanked Mr Walker for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (01-19-2012)

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Ha!!!!!!!!!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

This is working here in Frogland: http://youtu.be/vakAhzE7vS0 ...

... so it must be anywhere else!

Just saw it for the first time, and laughed a lot, it's just shear fun IMO...

A ballsy move from VH, because they're exposed in there, but it fits if you bear in mind
    how and why it as made!

:bottle:
    Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 01-19-2012 at 12:04 PM.

27. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

binnie (01-19-2012)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Sweet, Tap Dancing Jesus, I've about had enough of this shit.

Over the past couple of weeks, we have been provided evidence FOR ABSOLUTELY FREE that David Lee Roth has returned to and is engaged in revitalizing the entity known as Van Halen. This after roughly 30 years of baloney that amounted to no more than speculation or disappointment, and what happens? Every self-entitled nitwit with computer access (via work, a library card or their mom's house) comes along and throws his/her informed opinion around, offering personal critiques as to how/why it isn't any good.

This is the very reason that around the time this album drops, I'm going to Walmart to buy a copy that has a t shirt and a second that includes the DVD, stopping by a liquor store to get a liter or two of vodka, and most importantly, shutting off my computer so I can make up my own mind about the album without having some twit offer an instant review after a 30 second listen or whine about how difficult it was to get the shrink wrap off the damned CD. Or better yet, having listened to a handful of tracks (once again for the total cost of nothing) from the internet.

Yeah, I'm usually the go-to guy when it comes to pointing out the remarkable indifference the VH clan has shown toward it's fan base, but hell, people. No one is asking you to drink the imagined Kool Aid here. Instead of coming up with a bunch of self-centered whining about what isn't taking place, how's about embracing what in fact is?

29. 6 users say thank you to chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

clownsauce (01-19-2012),Dave's Bitch (01-19-2012),FORD (01-19-2012),GreenEyedMurder (01-19-2012),Nickdfresh (01-19-2012),ThatArtGuy (01-19-2012)

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Sweet, Tap Dancing Jesus, I've about had enough of this shit.

Over the past couple of weeks, we have been provided evidence FOR ABSOLUTELY FREE that David Lee Roth has returned to and is engaged in revitalizing the entity known as Van Halen. This after roughly 30 years of baloney that amounted to no more than speculation or disappointment, and what happens? Every self-entitled nitwit with computer access (via work, a library card or their mom's house) comes along and throws his/her informed opinion around, offering personal critiques as to how/why it isn't any good.

This is the very reason that around the time this album drops, I'm going to Walmart to buy a copy that has a t shirt and a second that includes the DVD, stopping by a liquor store to get a liter or two of vodka, and most importantly, shutting off my computer so I can make up my own mind about the album without having some twit offer an instant review after a 30 second listen or whine about how difficult it was to get the shrink wrap off the damned CD. Or better yet, having listened to a handful of tracks (once again for the total cost of nothing) from the internet.

Yeah, I'm usually the go-to guy when it comes to pointing out the remarkable indifference the VH clan has shown toward it's fan base, but hell, people. No one is asking you to drink the imagined Kool Aid here. Instead of coming up with a bunch of self-centered whining about what isn't taking place, how's about embracing what in fact is?
    Bravo!!!
    But you'll get the lot who will reiterate their "right" to not like it. In perspective, Van Halen is giving us stuff!!!! GIVING. Who thought that would ever happen? Keep it coming guys, we're starved!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 3,459 Posts

Naw man...

Just because it's Dave and Edward that doesn't mean it's great...
    And it doesn't have to be "great" to be fun and cool...I'm not expecting, nor do I need, the heavens to open up and glorious Angelic trumpets every time I hear Van Halen fucking around to enjoy it...

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-21-2015 @ 04:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It can't hurt that Ed is probably in a much healthier state of mind.

He sure looks a lot better than I have seen him in years. Alcohol can cripple you emotionally.

Keep on healing Ed.

This beats workin' baby!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-03-2022 @ 11:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

WTF?! I haven't even seen it yet and it sounds fucking awesome. Criticizing anything to do with Roth on a Roth fan site is completely ridiculous. Anyone who starts rippin' apart something that most of us have longed for for the better part of 3 decades can go fuck a hat!

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 06:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    This is working here in Frogland: http://youtu.be/vakAhzE7vS0 ...

... so it must be anywhere else!

Just saw it for the first time, and laughed a lot, it's just shear fun IMO...

A ballsy move from VH, because they're exposed in there, but it fits if you bear in mind
    how and why it as made!

:bottle:
    Thanx! First link I have used that worked!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    And it doesn't have to be "great" to be fun and cool...I'm not expecting, nor do I need, the heavens to open up and glorious Angelic trumpets every time I hear Van Halen fucking around to enjoy it...
    Good point...

Although I generally expect that heavens and trumpet stuff every time I enter a room... It's good to be king...

36. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (01-19-2012)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-10-2015 @ 11:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm not trying to be a killjoy here, but c'mon...

That performance pretty much sucks...

The best part is the backup vocals...

The guitar is sloppy and the singing is just plain bad...

I've listened to it nearly 20 times trying to find something good...

Van Halen back in the day would have never released something so bad...

I watched this once yesterday and it's not really that good at all. That tone Dave has for the verses just sounds quite odd and tight.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Ain't that the damn truth.

Some people are delusional. I am happy that one of my favourite bands is back together making music - I do not expect - much less DEMAND - that music to be on par with their glory days. As long as it's good, I'm good.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I heard a rumour that Wolfie does a solo cover of 'I am the Walrus' as a bonus track on the bonus disc.....

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-10-2015 @ 11:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I agree with you ten thousand percent......but I just didn't think it sounded that great.....the intro Dave did was awesome.....and the backing vox were really good, and Dave had some good moments at the end......but his tone for the first few minutes is kinda off......anyway no big deal.....I have my tix for the Garden, and I Like Tattoo....and we're all getting a whole new album in less than three weeks!!!

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guwapo_rocker View Post
    Everyone has been screaming for years "open the vault!, open the vault!!"

Well the door is slowly opening, relax and enjoy what we find inside.
    To all you naysayers out there, this falls under
    the heading of "Be careful of what you wish for."

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
    Criticizing anything to do with Roth on a Roth fan site is completely ridiculous. Anyone who starts rippin' apart something that most of us have longed for for the better part of 3 decades can go fuck a hat!
    Speak, Brotha!!!

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2012 @ 10:25 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Well put Va, I'm a newbie on here for the most part but a Halen fan for 30+ years....always been a favorite of mine.....and likely one of the worst bands in getting stuff out to their fans IMO. It cracks me up reading different posts, constructive ones certainly ok, that bash the very thing we are all looking for: ANY Van Halen stuff we can get our eyes, ears and hands on. ANyway, sorry for the rant, love the stuff we are getting to see and here and appreciate the Roth Army for all they do. Good to have Halen front row and center again. Life is indeed good. Hope to see some of you at the upcoming concerts.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    08-21-2021 @ 07:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    The video is very cool, and the "imperfection" of it makes it "Perfection"!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

For the record - Wolf wasn't playing on that and the vocals were piped in. There. Now we can all move on.

46. 2 users say thank you to VAiN for this KICKASS post:

DLR'sCock (01-20-2012),LoungeMachine (01-19-2012)

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-14-2017 @ 04:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Link for fans outside the U.S.

Here's a link where non-U.S. people should be able to download it (it worked for me!). Just skip the advertisement after 5 seconds and there it is.
    http://adf.ly/246619/http://www.medi...lo4g79rgiojrmr

I quite liked at as it is great to see the boys having fun together. Eddie also plays some pretty cool licks here and there. Not that I am crazy about acoustic VH but great to have this kind of bonus material while eagerly waiting of the album and tour.

48. 3 users say thank you to PanamaHat for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (01-19-2012),Dave's Bitch (01-19-2012),wiseguy (01-19-2012)

This beats workin' baby!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-03-2022 @ 11:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PanamaHat View Post
    Here's a link where non-U.S. people should be able to download it (it worked for me!). Just skip the advertisement after 5 seconds and there it is.
    http://adf.ly/246619/http://www.medi...lo4g79rgiojrmr

I quite liked at as it is great to see the boys having fun together. Eddie also plays some pretty cool licks here and there. Not that I am crazy about acoustic VH but great to have this kind of bonus material while eagerly waiting of the album and tour.
    That was awesome, thanks again. What was all the fuss about?? That was so raw. Loved it. Very good.

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2015 @ 07:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

you have Dave & Ed" sitting in you living room" setting jamming ...how fucking awesome is that? the only thing better is if Ed would break out Spanish Fly at the end!!

Thread Information