X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashstralia
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

Ash's new band

so here's the thing... i haven't played live music regularly for 3 years. i have been constantly teaching though, so my chops never get rusty.

a couple of weeks ago, singer from old band (7 years ago) calls, he's keen to play again. the plan is to get a duo up & running first, then build the rest of the band around that. barney's in of course, we have a great bassie, and the drummer from a seminal 80's oz band who lives locally appears to be on board.

so i rock up to his place with 2 guitars fx pedal and laptop. 'tattoo' had just been released, so i had the song ready to play for him. lo and behold, the rug in his music room is red, with black and white stripes!!!! it's a sign!!!

so i'm real excited about it!, it's gonna be a big year musically for us and i wanted to share my joy with my RA friends. i'll keep this updated over the coming months with news and stuff. or not. hehe..
  • VAiN
    Use my hand, I won't look
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Cool man! I've been wanting to get back into a band for years now. Good for you! Keep us posted.
    Originally posted by wiseguy
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• ashstralia
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Feb 2004

thanks VAiN, we're 2 rehearsals in and the magic is back. we've got our first gig in march; i'm f$^&ckin pumped!!!!

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Me too, I was going to retire, sell my house and join a band. Still have my amps, guitars, pa etc etc from
        when I made that decision. Then BAM ! The most gorgeous woman I have ever met comes
        out of nowhere (actually from these forums... lol) My life suddenly took a totally, but cant complain
        different path. I still have the gear.

All the Best Ash, my fingers need WD40 to play Smoke on the water at the moment,
        hope it all goes well.... I was forced to play at a party a few weeks back, drunk with
        an ibanez acoustic (nice acoustic) managed to bang out enough songs to keep em
        happy (only 40-50 people) but geezuz I had to use Jedi magic to force my fingers to
        keep going on that high action, chunky guage string guitar...

I freakin battled to get some classics out, and at the end of the night the
        best received song was "A horse with no name" I was playing that Em D
        shit after 3 bottles of fine Australian red wine, and these country folk
        were getting off on it ? Geez I played crap, but I did entertain... lol
        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
          thanks VAiN, we're 2 rehearsals in and the magic is back. we've got our first gig in march; i'm f$^&ckin pumped!!!!
          So its inevitable that I will see you play the north coast of NSW ?
          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ashstralia
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Feb 2004

good onya marky. the folks up here love the classic 70s & 80s stuff too. we'll have the duo doing the small parties and such; and the band can rock out at the bigger shows. you totally should get back into it, if you've got the time. i know i just function better when i'm actively involved in making music. i'm sure we all can relate!

not sure we'll get that far south, but we could get as far down as coffs maybe?
            Last edited by ashstralia; 01-20-2012, 09:37 AM. Reason: mark's question

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Yeah but you are teaching all the time. I got suckered in to that party after not playing for
              14 months ? (And that was one little session after another 10 months)
              I was rusty as fuck. My drunk brain was telling my fingers what to do but the
              strength wasnt there. I felt pissed off as most of the shouted out requests I knew but
              the hands didnt quite have the strength. Would have been better if I had my strat and
              a small praccy amp... Seeing as I have mountains and forests around me I totally
              intend on building a studio here, when babies/work/money permits and
              getting back into it. Mary Frances can sing better than any of the vocalists I have
              ever worked with and is no slouch on keyboards and guitar herself. So theres
              motivation just for us to get it happening here, then maybe venturing out for fun.
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ashstralia
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Feb 2004

these days a small home studio is really affordable, as you well know. do it man!!

bloke/chick duo's are really popular here. making $ for having fun.

Comment

• Panamark
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

I have an entire studio packed in boxes.
                  Just need to build the shed and somewhat sound proof it....
                  Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ashstralia
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Feb 2004

cool.

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

You know whats fucked up ? When you move to the country you think, awesome, I can
                      shoot guns, play drums, rip around on a 2 stroke dirt bike and nobody will give a fuck.
                      Well, its bizzarre, we are in a spectacular valley, but if someone a mile away on
                      a neighbouring property has a conversation, we can hear it !
                      I have dairy farms on each side, Im dying to setup a drum kit, even though Im not
                      a drummer, and just belt them coz Im on some land now... That shit would
                      probably echo up your way, Any good sound proofing tips ?
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Im good mates with a dude 3 farms away, Im going to plug in the half stack
                        (100w) and play "Hells Bells" through the valley and see if he can hear it...
                        Im thinkin my JCM 800 on 4 will spook the horses and make the cows freak out ! lol
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                          ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Any chance of posting some of your stuff here ash?.Always like checking out the music some of you guys make
                          I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                          Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• ashstralia
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Feb 2004

probs should talk to kwame or another drummer about that one... we have the luxury of using the local rural fire brigade shed to rehearse the band (handy police connections!) it's got acres of cane fields around it.

Comment

• Panamark
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

I wanna hear Dave's stuff too ! I can tell he is a top bloke, and if teaching non stop the mofo will
                              have his action flowing nicely....
                              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...