Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VHND Video: Dave Explains "Tattoo" Lyrics

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Obviously alot of thought went into this album. Maybe thats why it took so long. But i believe it's gonna blow our socks off!!
    There is only one David Lee Roth!!

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    What really killed the experience for me was the overlong "chapters" Stephen King would tack onto his recent books.
    I used to love King, but he lost me at The Dark Tower.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    I dunno, part of me doesn't want to know. I like Dave's lyrics because we all take from them what applies to us in our lives. Sometimes, not knowing what the hell he is singing about is better and leaves much to the imagination. That grey area is what kept this site going these many years, lol
    Fuck it...even when he says what they mean...does he really mean what he says?
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wish every person who went into a tattoo studio was forced to listen to this, especially the part about how it does and should hurt. I guarantee you there would be far less shitty ink. Dave's brilliant, as always.
    Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
    Originally posted by rustoffa
    Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    And if so, would it be poetry in ink?

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Unfuckingbelievable!!! This song IS a very good tune and ya know what? It just got better. It has a little more meaning. Listening to Dave is always an incredible experience, but through the years it has sounded like he is speaking to a much larger audience. That clip felt like a personal sit down with a legend. Yep, the song got a little better because I can feel it just a little more. Van Halen is making up for lost time and boy does it feel good.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Roth is getting to that age...I think...where this part of what he does is Paramount...combine that with the fact that he did it anyways...and likely the fact that he's been bottled up over the past five years, and you have a guy that is likely dying to tell his story...

He could talk for an hour about why his farts smell like avacados, and it would be interesting...and as always...you take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt...because he's a stream of consciousness kinda talker...which is why I don't miss a thing...

cuz it's likely the last time you are going to hear it....

...fucking swampmeat Sally...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Kind of like most of my posts
    Roth Army Canada

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well It is happy hour....Not gonna hurt though...I like the interview and all and I have a Question does DLR has Tattoos?
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Roth is getting to that age...I think...where this part of what he does is Paramount...combine that with the fact that he did it anyways...and likely the fact that he's been bottled up over the past five years, and you have a guy that is likely dying to tell his story...

He could talk for an hour about why his farts smell like avacados, and it would be interesting...and as always...you take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt...because he's a stream of consciousness kinda talker...which is why I don't miss a thing...

cuz it's likely the last time you are going to hear it....

You pick my curiousity do you mean the last time we see Dave with VH or any of it at all?

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think if a movie was done, you'd have it set from like 1977 to write as "Hot For Teacher" was coming out and do a composite of how Van Halen was fucking ruling the planet at the time.

play up the "Band mates as brothers angle" to the nth degree, and ignore the split angle to please the brothers and get their blessings.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Did anybody else get that when they were watching that it was just them and dave talking ...thats a skill....
    fuck your fucking framing

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    And he still hasn't finished it, as yet another book is coming soon. Pissed me off even more when the sequel to The Talisman (Black House, both written with Peter Straub) wound up being an advertisement for The Dark Tower. I will say this, the current book about time travel (11/22/63) is the best thing he's come up with since 2008's Duma Key, itself his finest work since he wrote Insomnia some 14 years earlier.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    Well It is happy hour....Not gonna hurt though...I like the interview and all and I have a Question does DLR has Tattoos?
    Well...in the vid he said he had an Elvis tattoo right above his ankle...to start with...

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He said he has a small Elvis tat on the back of his ankle, where the foot meets the leg.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You pick my curiousity do you mean the last time we see Dave with VH or any of it at all?
    Nothing like that...it's just that Dave isn't known to repeat himself much outside of the concert hall...his stories are these streams that strike him on the spot...you get the distinct impression that they go wherever his mind takes him...which depends a lot on where the hell he is...and what the hell he's on...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Did anybody else get that when they were watching that it was just them and dave talking ...thats a skill....
    Well to me I was listening to Dave like you listen to someone who's seriously ill, you know the kind of attention like its the last time...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nothing like that...it's just that Dave isn't known to repeat himself much outside of the concert hall...his stories are these streams that strike him on the spot...you get the distinct impression that they go wherever his mind takes him...which depends a lot on where the hell he is...and what the hell he's on...
    Thanks for your answer...During YRGM I don't know what the hell he is on but it is certainly good stuff...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And he still hasn't finished it, as yet another book is coming soon. Pissed me off even more when the sequel to The Talisman (Black House, both written with Peter Straub) wound up being an advertisement for The Dark Tower. I will say this, the current book about time travel (11/22/63) is the best thing he's come up with since 2008's Duma Key, itself his finest work since he wrote Insomnia some 14 years earlier.
    Loved Duma Key...couldn't put it down...can't wait to read 11/22/63...

hated the Black House...but liked his work post Insomnia...perhaps not as much as some of his other stuff...but liked it just the same...

Not as memorable as much of his other stuff...but memorable nonetheless...

I absolutely love the Dark Tower series...an am okay with this new book coming out...it's set in the middle of the tale, if I remember correctly...and can't wait to get my fucking hands on it...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Loved Duma Key...couldn't put it down...can't wait to read 11/22/63...
    11/22/63 is absolutely mind-blowing. No spoilers from me (Why do people always have to do that?) other than to say it's another book that is damned near impossible to put down. It grabs you from the very first page and doesn't let go.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    11/22/63 is absolutely mind-blowing. No spoilers from me (Why do people always have to do that?) other than to say it's another book that is damned near impossible to put down. It grabs you from the very first page and doesn't let go.
    Cool, it's been awhile since I read a Stephen King book. I will be purchasing that book in the very near future. Thanks for the heads up.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Insomnia was the last one I read, before that was Needful Things and The Tommyknockers. Up to that point I read everything he wrote. Nowdays I am much more into non-fiction.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's so funny to me that all of the people that hate Dave and his ego, that hate his rockstar persona or the outrageous antics they've only heard about, have never stopped to listen to Dave. Or read his book. Fuck, even read an interview with him. These people sit and very much judge a book by its cover. Because rockstars can't be philosophical. Rockstars can't be beyond banging groupies or doing mounds of blow. Rockstars get vilified, and a lot of them should be on account of their arrogant and entitled aroma of douchois, but then here comes David Lee Roth, the pinnacle of frontmen, who will regale you with eloquent stories of his time in the jungle or his job as an EMT and your mind would be thoroughly blown......

....if you'd only listen.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I feel smarter just watching that....awesome explanation..dude is a mad genius..

Sammy wrote a song about colors too...Red..Red I want Red..Red..Red..Red..Red..Red..Red..Red..buwwhhahha a!!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    a friend of mine told me it was his favorite King book alltime...which I have a hard time buying...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    a friend of mine told me it was his favorite King book alltime...which I have a hard time buying...
    It is different, at least for a King book. For instance, while there are some horrific moments, the story isn't a horror tale. And the elements of time travel (not giving anything away here, as the cover itself shows two different newspaper front pages, one announcing Kennedy's assassination, the other indicating he'd survived), while being quite complex and confusing, doesn't really drive the plot as much as you'd think. It has more to do with the atmosphere of the period, which is captured in some remarkably detailed prose.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JJtheVagPounder View Post
    It's so funny to me that all of the people that hate Dave and his ego, that hate his rockstar persona or the outrageous antics they've only heard about, have never stopped to listen to Dave. Or read his book. Fuck, even read an interview with him. These people sit and very much judge a book by its cover. Because rockstars can't be philosophical. Rockstars can't be beyond banging groupies or doing mounds of blow. Rockstars get vilified, and a lot of them should be on account of their arrogant and entitled aroma of douchois, but then here comes David Lee Roth, the pinnacle of frontmen, who will regale you with eloquent stories of his time in the jungle or his job as an EMT and your mind would be thoroughly blown......

That explains why I have ZERO TOLERANCE for stupid fucksticks like Jim Florentine or Eddie Trunk or Sambo. If these ass clowns cant take 5 min. out of their worthless day to read some lyrics and see the deeper meanings ---- then go find a different career than wasting our time talking about music or attempting to create art. Fucking clueless shitbirds.

Dave could sit on a stool and talk for one hour about his colorful life in NYC and it would totally eclipse anything Pussy Nugget Hagar has done in the last two decades.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Man, this demonstrates to the extreme the intellect behind the dime-store Rock Philospher persona that Dave has.....Spamulus The Unintelligent could never DREAM of writing lyrics that good.

That was such a great video. I am speechless....

fourthcoming
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    He lost me with "Insomnia".....damn that book was tough to finish. If the book was meant to cure Insomnia then it was brilliant. Dr Dave on the other hand....that dude always brings it.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    love it.....
    “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why the fuck are they using VIMEO? Are they too COOL to use youtube? a service which has gigabits of bandwidth dedicated for its millions of users?? No. They decided to use vimeo, a "hipster" alternative which obviously can't handle a moderate load. What a joke.

I would sincerely like to be able to watch this video.. I just... cant.

I took 10 minutes typing this message - couldn't really articulate my disgust.. the video paused in the background. I was waiting for it to preload. Typically in under a minute the rest of the video should be finished loading - evidenced by the progress/position bar having a solid gray background.

So how far did I get in 10 + minutes? I got an extra 45 seconds of video preloaded. Hot fucking damn!

/sitting on a 40mbps broadband, no problems here.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    and 45 seconds later the video is stopped! GOD DAMN IT ALL TO HELL!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hah if I ever meet him I'm gonna tell him he should have went with my line...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by neuralfraud View Post
    Why the fuck are they using VIMEO? Are they too COOL to use youtube? a service which has gigabits of bandwidth dedicated for its millions of users?? No. They decided to use vimeo, a "hipster" alternative which obviously can't handle a moderate load. What a joke.

I would sincerely like to be able to watch this video.. I just... cant.

I took 10 minutes typing this message - couldn't really articulate my disgust.. the video paused in the background. I was waiting for it to preload. Typically in under a minute the rest of the video should be finished loading - evidenced by the progress/position bar having a solid gray background.

So how far did I get in 10 + minutes? I got an extra 45 seconds of video preloaded. Hot fucking damn!

/sitting on a 40mbps broadband, no problems here.
    You know, I really want to be a nice guy about all of this. Buuuuuuut....

Really? The rest of us are hanging in there just fine and appreciating that IF we have to wait (which I did not) so fucking what? We are getting literally TONS of new info/videos/music and you want to bitch about the service they use? That's like saying, "Man, I'm totally going to bang [insert supermodel/actress/hot-ass-chick-in-general here] but she doesn't lick the taint. I'm out." Don't like it? Get a better service yourself. Maybe there's a little bit of traffic because it's just that awesome. To me I'd be grateful, but hey, some people can't be pleased.

And Elvis, oh Elvis. What in the blazing blue fuck is your problem? All I ever hear you doing is bitching and complaining and blah blah blah. Why are you even here? Is it just to piss people off? Is it to show that you are edgy and don't run with the pack? Well guess what? This forum is for those that run with the pack. The Dave pack. If all you want to do is use your internet anonymity to ruffle feathers and piss in everyone's Cheerios, then I'm sure there are plenty of video game/sports/porn/other music forums you can go to and do that. But why do you have to rain on my parade? Why? You being here is like banging your sister: it seems cool at first, but then you realize you are banging your sister. Come on.
    Last edited by JJtheVagPounder; 01-20-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Fon funsies

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    barney and i were sittin out on the back porch this morn, i said something like 'in 100 years, DLR will be right up there with the great philosophers...'

barney said 'aristotle lee roth'.

nuff said.

JJ, i appear to be out of thanks; great post mate. :thumbs up:

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know, I really want to be a nice guy about all of this. Buuuuuuut....

Really? The rest of us are hanging in there just fine and appreciating that IF we have to wait (which I did not) so fucking what? We are getting literally TONS of new info/videos/music and you want to bitch about the service they use? That's like saying, "Man, I'm totally going to bang [insert supermodel/actress/hot-ass-chick-in-general here] but she doesn't lick the taint. I'm out." Don't like it? Get a better service yourself. Maybe there's a little bit of traffic because it's just that awesome. To me I'd be grateful, but hey, some people can't be pleased.

And Elvis, oh Elvis. What in the blazing blue fuck is your problem? All I ever hear you doing is bitching and complaining and blah blah blah. Why are you even here? Is it just to piss people off? Is it to show that you are edgy and don't run with the pack? Well guess what? This forum is for those that run with the pack. The Dave pack. If all you want to do is use your internet anonymity to ruffle feathers and piss in everyone's Cheerios, then I'm sure there are plenty of video game/sports/porn/other music forums you can go to and do that. But why do you have to rain on my parade? Why? You being here is like banging your sister: it seems cool at first, but then you realize you are banging your sister. Come on.

I'm sorry. I had a really bad day.

Maybe ELVIS is Sammy Hagar

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by neuralfraud View Post
    No. They decided to use vimeo, a "hipster" alternative which obviously can't handle a moderate load. What a joke.
    Ya mutha can handle a moderate load.....I'm sorry. I had to. I'm sure your mom's a saint.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ? This forum is for those that run with the pack. The Dave pack.
    That's complete bullshit! In fact, your entire post is complete BULLSHIT...

So you can go fuck yourself and you can tell your mommy I said so...

Bitch!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    That's complete bullshit! In fact, your entire post is complete BULLSHIT...

So you can go fuck yourself and you can tell your mommy I said so...

Bitch!

Honestly, I expected more out of you. You should be ashamed.

Thread Information