classic !!!
    fuck your fucking framing

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    I don't recall Jamie's Cryin' being played during the last tour, but they're saying it was?
    We heard it in Reno...
    Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I actually agree with this as well fourthcoming. I had posted (but I did not see anyone else post the same) that we thought maybe Dave was under the weather for the AC show. I also thought he was in a hurry perhaps he did not feel well. I saw them in Reading last night and he seemed back again. I thought Dave was more physical in AC (kicks, split) etc because maybe he could not get his voice where he wanted or ran out of energy to sing. However, I do think the raspy-ness helped him keep his voice range lower to a point.

Perhaps he is just tired. They get a break in a few days to catch up...

STILLL that being said I LOVED THE SHOWS and no complaints. I would even love to go to more... It is just when you go to multople shows you do start to compare.

My husband and I even said that he would never complain probably...they just have to go on with the show.

Quote Originally Posted by fourthcoming View Post
    Honestly, I met Lou at Atlantic City, real nice guy. I have to admit, he was right about Dave and the A.C. show.....I was thinking....maybe the band or Dave in particular were just tired. Let's face it, their not spring chickens anymore. The show was definitely streamlined and quickened. You could tell Dave's voice was raspy, he had a drink of water during one of the songs to help his voice. I even noticed on one of the videos I took that Dave was clearing his throat in between sinsging the lyrics. Don't get me wrong, I never thought I would be going to shows with Dave and VH...and I'm grateful, but his timing was definitely off on some tunes and they need to take China Town out of the set and replace it with a different new song. It's a bad ass tune but honestly, Dave butchered it in A.C. The one positive to Dave's voice catching up with him was he really didnt try to strain his voice too much with the upper register and kept his tone where it belongs. Maybe I'm comparing the A.C. show too much to the MSG shows, especially the second one....but there was definitely not the same electricity. Still enjoyed the hell out of the show. I don't think Dave was mailing it in, but I do think it was probably agreed by the band before the show....hey, let's grind through this one and move on to the next city. Not that they mailed it in, but it was more of a business first approach. I'm sure their not the first band to do that.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Fucking KILLER!

What this band is doing with the setlist on this tour is just fucking great. If they throw out LUTS at one of these shows, I will jizz myself.

While nothing they would do at this point, would surprise me, I am grateful they are still surprising me. Make sense?
    Hell no. When do you think you started making sense?

Oh dear.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    I don't recall Jamie's Cryin' being played during the last tour, but they're saying it was?
    It was on every boot I have......

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    It's not a fav of mine, either ---- but I was at the Louisville show and saw a lot of MILFs getting down to it ---- got to appease the females also, bub
    Some of us females would be appeased with stuff like Light Up the Sky or As Is or HBSD...

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shit ,us guys wanna hear those tunes to

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They need to drop Blood And Fire or the whole band needs to get together to rehearse it some more... sorry, but it sounded pretty bad... just like it did during the pre-tour show

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    They need to drop Blood And Fire or the whole band needs to get together to rehearse it some more... sorry, but it sounded pretty bad... just like it did during the pre-tour show
    I would rather here Trouble With Never. B & F is a nice song and the most polished on the CD, but it doesn't rock enough for me. I hope they keep mixing it up and bringing in new stuff. Maybe the shit that ends up sounding the best will end up on a "live" CD !! Light Up The Sky would be awesome but Dave would struggle with that high stuff. But I say bring it once or twice !
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 03-27-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Blood and fire sounded fine to me, it didn't look like the greatest recording in the world. I'm sure it sounded great LIVE. Now I may be the only one, but would you lazy bastards please type the whole song name when talking about a song instead of hail for example. I know the whole van halen and Dave solo catalog, but it took me about 3 minutes to figure this one out, and I probably wouldn't have gotten it that quick if they were not playing it on tour.

Banned
    Flappo's Disciple
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Em' Up! View Post
    Some of us females would be appeased with stuff like Light Up the Sky or As Is or HBSD...
    Amen. If only ALL females could be like that...

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by philouze View Post
    Amen. If only ALL females could be like that...
    That's why "Roth Broads" ROCK.
    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

The Good,The Bad,&TheUgly
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    QUOTE=van hln CA;1634844]
    Now I will have to see every SoCal show to not miss a single nugget. Blood & Fire was highlight at Forum last month and it's great knowing they are listening, Trouble with Never is not that great live, BnF and Stay Frosty instead of China Town is way to go. The Take Your Whiskey, Fools, Sinners Swing and In a Simple Rhyme will be in the sets by June. [/QUOTE]

If VH adds Blood and Fire, Stay Frosty, and In a Simple Rhyme to the setlist for their hometown gigs, I'll be in heaven and I wouldn't wanna leave my cloud.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hmmm...thoughts?

For much of Monday night's concert, David Lee Roth's vocals struggled to be heard clearly above the powerful racket being made by his Van Halen bandmates.

That wasn't a bad thing.

The one-of-a-kind lead singer, back leading the band that made him famous 30 years ago, gave a packed Sovereign Center a wildly uneven performance.

Prancing around in front of a mammoth, high-definition screen, Diamond Dave, 57, certainly was fun to watch. He unleashed spin kicks, contorted himself into a variety of positions, twirled the mic stand like a martial artist and seduced a woman in the front row during an extended take of "Everybody Wants Some."

But his vocals were all over the place. He forgot words, he had trouble staying in time and his attempts at hitting some difficult notes - for example, the "Can't you see what I mean" line in show closer "Jump" - were often cringe-inducing.

A shame, because the cymbal-heavy chugging backbeat provided by the Van Halen family members sounded as powerful and infectious as ever.

Really, is it possible to hear the first minute of "Hot for Teacher" and not be ready to take on the world?

Guitarist Eddie and drummer Alex, both pushing 60, sound like musicians half their age.

Bassist Wolfgang - Eddie's son - actually is half their age.

The 21-year-old wasn’t even born until the band was well into the Sammy Hagar era.
    The younger Van Halen was almost a nonentity, his contributions overpowered by the ferocious playing of his father and uncle. His lone moment in the spotlight was the brief intro riff to "Runnin' With the Devil."

Not surprisingly, the band culled nearly half of the 22-song set from its 1978 self-titled debut and "1984," the mega-selling albums that bookended Roth's first stint with the band.

Also not surprisingly, many of those songs - "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love," "You Really Got Me," "Ice Cream Man," "I'll Wait," "Panama" - got the biggest responses.

But the band dug deep a few times for the diehards in attendance, dusting off early rockers "Romeo Delight" and "Somebody Get Me a Doctor."

"A Different Kind of Truth," this year's reunion album, also comprised a nice chunk of the 110-minute set. Of the five songs played from the album, the single "Tattoo" and the pounding "China Town" made the biggest impression.

The set also featured two unaccompanied solos: a brief rumble by Alex and a lengthy excursion by Eddie, which included a heavy dose of his trademark tapping and incorporated segments of his legendary solo piece, "Eruption."

Fans likely did a double-take when they saw who the band tapped to be its opening act.

About the only things Van Halen and R&B/funk veterans Kool and the Gang have in common is a string of hits in the '80s and namesake band members.

Only two founding members of the group remain, including bassist Robert "Kool" Bell, but the groove remains.

Dressed entirely in white, the 10-piece band couldn't have done a better job kick-starting the evening, with 50 minutes of nearly nonstop energy.

The interplay was tight and the arrangements were loose, allowing the band members to solo, which they did, and get the crowd to chant, which they did.

Kool and the Gang wisely chose to bypass its popular ballads, sticking to '70s funk classics like "Ladies' Night," "Hollywood Swingin' " and "Jungle Boogie," and '80s rock-tinged hits like "Tonight" and "Misled."

By the time the set came to a close with - what else? - "Celebration," much of the arena was on its feet, singing along.

Jon Fassnacht

Reading Pa

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He MUST be a Spammy loving FAG!!
    " You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Idiot.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Em' Up! View Post
    Hmmm...thoughts?
    http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showt...=1#post1634906
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Thread Information