Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Official 4/29 St. Louis Meetup/Review Thread

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Okay, yes, I think this guy is officially a DB...grrr...also, someone just tweeted "Jump", so that's all she wrote for this show...

I think DLR just loses interest in the lyrics. #VanHalen— BlkIsTheNewBlk (@BlkIsTheNewBlk) April 30, 2012
    Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Em' Up! View Post
    I wasn't sure if ridiculous was meant as "bad ass", or really ridiculous....this guy has been pretty wishy washy on his tweets....
    Yeah I took it the negative way , Maybe am being quick to judge
    fuck your fucking framing

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I Take that back

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Yeah I took it the negative way , Maybe am being quick to judge
    I think you were spot on in the first place....too bad this was the only DB that was saying anything about the show....was hoping we'd get something from the inside, but no such luck.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Was Hopeing that guy who posted the pic before the show who was right at the front had posted some pics

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Was Hopeing that guy who posted the pic before the show who was right at the front had posted some pics
    Yah no kidding...I'm sure with those great seats, he was too busy enjoying the show :-)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I Take that back
    Just come to realize this must be what late or early tomorrow for you???
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dude am on nightshift .. Which has been well handy for the gig reviews and commentary ... 2 more hours and that's me off to bed ... Happy times :-)

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    All of us on here know that DLR just goes with the flow and the vibe of the concert. What he decides to do up there, how he decides to sing the songs are going to be subject to his instantaneous decisions. This person on Twitter doesn't get that. That to me is part of the appeal of classic Van Halen. When he singled out that little girl in Greensboro I can't imagine that was premeditated. I'm sure he came up with that on the spot. To me, when he sings the songs different every night it tells me that the songs are always organic, always evolving, never quite "finished" which is what makes his style so cool. The only time he gets in trouble is when he's deliberately upstaging Eddie or making the show too much about him, but he hasn't done that in the past few weeks.

Anyway, if this person doesn't approve of Dave's style then I'll say what's been said many times over the years--stay at home and listen to the albums. He can even turn it up really loud to simulate that he's at a concert.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dude am on nightshift .. Which has been well handy for the gig reviews and commentary ... 2 more hours and that's me off to bed ... Happy times :-)
    ok well time for me to go ......so you guys behave....good night or good morning wherever you are.....and

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Same to you

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    You know, I forgot to mention about the Nashville show, that, due to the fact that I did not see the 1984 tour, or the 2007-2008 tour, I never saw them perform anything live from 1984. So getting to see them do Hot For Teacher live was fucking great. Man, Wolfy was smoking on that fucker.

Oh and yeah...what was that sweet smoky smell I smelled at the show? GODDAMMIT! I WANNA GET FUCKING HIGH AND I CAN'T! GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Ah well.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's bullshit...whoever tweeted that about the STL show is baldfaced liar from the pits of hell...

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Little tired tonight to write a full review....I plan to tomorrow..maybe most on here won't read it..but if just one cat reads it, then it was worth my time. It's 2:00AM here and I want to get in a few things while they are still fresh. So here's a quick recap of Van Halen's ass kicking of St Louis this Sunday night...
    First the whole attendance issue cleared up nicely, not sure of the final number but it had to be in the 15,000 thousand range. This made it around 3/4 full, which some fans were giving some grief to the city and it's people for....fact is..the band sold a lot of tickets...not as many as 2008, but still a lot and by the time they hit SHE'S THE WOMAN...most of the bottom half was filled and rockin. I was appalled at the fact that a lot of people in the upper levels didn't even stand AT ALL!!! Wish DLR would have shined a spotlight on them ALL and called them out!!! At least stand for the first half of the show...or at least the first half dozen songs!!! Also, first Van Halen show I went to with no EDDIE chants....disappointing to say the least. The band was given a good response and a very loud reception, but should have been louder!!! The band is now a well oiled machine after being on the road for over two months now and it shows in how tight they are musicially.
    So they hit the ground runnin' with UNCHAINED.....it's sounds terrific and the extended jam between Dave and Eddie after the guitar solo is fucking PRICELESS. It's a call and response, but unlike any you have heard before....a bastard hybrid of Roth tarzan screams and King Edward insanity. Throughout the first half of the set, Dave sounded flawless with his vocals...only showing a brief struggle with CHINATOWN. His energy tonight was better than Pittsburgh or Louisville, he seemed energized to be slaying the crowd. The set list had no major surprises....got FULL BUG...HEAR ABOUT IT LATER....TROUBLE WITH NEVER....WOMEN IN LOVE...OUTTA LOVE AGAIN. But, the real fun tonight were in the stories Dave told. The way he stopped the band during DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY to point out a couple making out and attach a story to it. The way he mistaked the crowd chanting "Blues!!! Blues!!!" for booing after he made a hockey joke during his acoustic solo. Because of this misunderstanding (couldn't these fuckers have just laughed at Dave's wisecracks instead of doing a chant for the hockey team?? I get that they are in the second round of the playoffs, but how often does Van Halen come and play a gig in this town????)..DLR cut out the ENTIRE end of his dog story and went right into ICE CREAM MAN early..catching the band off guard. Alex got a HUGE round of applause after his too short solo and Eddie was brillant in his. He told the crowd "Thank You" at least four times during that solo. It was a highlight for sure. Lots more things to get to....tomorrow...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hey everyone - sorry for crashing last night! Here's a short clip of DTNA. Long enough to hear a funny comment by Dave about 51 seconds in!

Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    very short clip of Panama

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    FUCK! They skip Full Bug in Nashville, but play it very next night.

Ah well. Things coulda been worse, lol.

Glad you guys had fun!

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They've pretty much been flipping Romeo and Full Bug nightly this tour. Just the luck of the draw.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Everybody Wants Some!!! - Somebody Get Me A Doctor

China Town - Hear About It Later - Pretty Woman

Last edited by ALMOSTsaved; 04-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.

fourthcoming
    I wonder why Wolf isn't doing the background vocals on the chorus to china town like he's done pretty much the whole tour?

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thems some nice close videos! Kick ass!

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    You know, I forgot to mention about the Nashville show, that, due to the fact that I did not see the 1984 tour, or the 2007-2008 tour, I never saw them perform anything live from 1984. So getting to see them do Hot For Teacher live was fucking great. Man, Wolfy was smoking on that fucker.

Oh and yeah...what was that sweet smoky smell I smelled at the show? GODDAMMIT! I WANNA GET FUCKING HIGH AND I CAN'T! GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Ah well.
    HR69 you where on a natural high! HIGH ON LIFE
    " You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthcoming View Post
    I wonder why Wolf isn't doing the background vocals on the chorus to china town like he's done pretty much the whole tour?
    I think because Dave is a little all over the place on it (pitch and timing wise) so Wolf said fuck it, you do it alone if thats how you are gonna be bro.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great performances though!! Just got done watching them all.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vaijuju View Post

During Unchained @3:40 you could see Wolf was into it!!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Last edited by vaijuju; 04-30-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ALMOSTsaved View Post
    Everybody Wants Some!!! - Somebody Get Me A Doctor

China Town - Hear About It Later - Pretty Woman
    During SGMD @8:00 Dave didn't know what to do with himself!! lol You know & felt he wanted to do his famous drum riser jump!

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up Anyone roth warriors heard this jam after the solo in unchained before stl???

Quote Originally Posted by vaijuju View Post
    Anybody know if VH has ever done a version of UNCHAINED like this on this tour yet??? It is a SHIT HOT jam version...sounds badass with the call and response...thank God MY section knew to cheer their asses off and knew it was somethin' special....anybody ever heard a version at another 2012 gig???????????

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAUGHTER MAN View Post
    Little tired tonight to write a full review....I plan to tomorrow..maybe most on here won't read it..but if just one cat reads it, then it was worth my time. It's 2:00AM here and I want to get in a few things while they are still fresh. So here's a quick recap of Van Halen's ass kicking of St Louis this Sunday night...
    First the whole attendance issue cleared up nicely, not sure of the final number but it had to be in the 15,000 thousand range. This made it around 3/4 full, which some fans were giving some grief to the city and it's people for....fact is..the band sold a lot of tickets...not as many as 2008, but still a lot and by the time they hit SHE'S THE WOMAN...most of the bottom half was filled and rockin. I was appalled at the fact that a lot of people in the upper levels didn't even stand AT ALL!!! Wish DLR would have shined a spotlight on them ALL and called them out!!! At least stand for the first half of the show...or at least the first half dozen songs!!! Also, first Van Halen show I went to with no EDDIE chants....disappointing to say the least. The band was given a good response and a very loud reception, but should have been louder!!! The band is now a well oiled machine after being on the road for over two months now and it shows in how tight they are musicially.
    So they hit the ground runnin' with UNCHAINED.....it's sounds terrific and the extended jam between Dave and Eddie after the guitar solo is fucking PRICELESS. It's a call and response, but unlike any you have heard before....a bastard hybrid of Roth tarzan screams and King Edward insanity. Throughout the first half of the set, Dave sounded flawless with his vocals...only showing a brief struggle with CHINATOWN. His energy tonight was better than Pittsburgh or Louisville, he seemed energized to be slaying the crowd. The set list had no major surprises....got FULL BUG...HEAR ABOUT IT LATER....TROUBLE WITH NEVER....WOMEN IN LOVE...OUTTA LOVE AGAIN. But, the real fun tonight were in the stories Dave told. The way he stopped the band during DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY to point out a couple making out and attach a story to it. The way he mistaked the crowd chanting "Blues!!! Blues!!!" for booing after he made a hockey joke during his acoustic solo. Because of this misunderstanding (couldn't these fuckers have just laughed at Dave's wisecracks instead of doing a chant for the hockey team?? I get that they are in the second round of the playoffs, but how often does Van Halen come and play a gig in this town????)..DLR cut out the ENTIRE end of his dog story and went right into ICE CREAM MAN early..catching the band off guard. Alex got a HUGE round of applause after his too short solo and Eddie was brillant in his. He told the crowd "Thank You" at least four times during that solo. It was a highlight for sure. Lots more things to get to....tomorrow...
    FOR THOSE HOW GIVE A SHIT....(I always read people's reviews of the gigs on this tour on this site and VH Links....so if just one Roth Warrior digs it....home run for me..........
    1. THE ARENA STARTED to get an energy building up right after the Rolling Stones tune....when the upper deck saw Alex getting his ear monitors and sticks, they screaming started a couple of minutes early and I knew and let my wife know (she looked drop dead sexy tonight...dressing to the nines...nothing better than having your woman wearing some sexy clothes and smelling G R E A T to make the night absolutelty flawless. Lucky beyond measure to have a wife so hot...lucky Diamond didn't snatch her away!!!!) I noticed all these Van Halen shirts that I didn't see at the other two gigs...they had a band picture on the front and the dates on the back. There was another that fans had the VH logo from the first record and on the back had the promo poster screen print with the dates. I wanted one, but turns out both of these were 20 buck street vendor shirts. Shit, we parked in the coliseum parking garage and then right into the venue. By the time I stopped a young 20 somethin year old fan and found out where to score one, KOOL @ The Gang were hitting their stride and getting ready to bust out some "Jungle Boogie". Any fuckin how...anybody else miss those black VH blimps from the reunion tour????
    HITTING THE STL GROUND RUNNIN'the band was red hot and sounded like they were out to prove a point. Maybe this was imagined on my part...but Alex seemed to be hitting harder and Eddie's guitar was brutally loud while the board got the mix under control. I wished they kept it this loud all night, but Eddie was drownin out every thing but the vocals. The kick drum hit hard as fuck during UNCHAINED , but that thumpin' bass I am so use to (and crave in this tune) was buried. My wife says "it's because we are on Ed's side...."but Wolf's sound improved big time as the set progressed. The breakdown has all ready been talked about in detail. RUNNIN' WITH THE DEVIL hit next and Dave's vocals were so good you would have swore it was the record. SHE'S THE WOMAN came slammin in and while I was stoked at how tight the band was (the mix was perfect by this song)...Dave was sounding outstandingly good. Not rearranging lyrics or dropping off entirely...doing totally perfection where all the little bitches who have no idea what DLR's stage show is all about ( Talked to a KSHE DJ today on the studio line who was cool about talking about the show for a few brief minutes..but the only real compliant was how "off key Dave was HALF the night and sounding shot vocally after before the gig was over". Again, someone who has no grip on what Dave's balance is and what constitutes a "great DLR gig". ) Most of the crowd got into the new tune, but had those who either bolted for a piss or another beverage..dude..or ones who showed zero support for the tune. I just screamed the lyrics and pumped my fist in the air like is what just as much a classic as the first two tunes. Had one older guy a row in front who was pumped for the "classic" songs and got excited when a couple deep cuts got played, but showed no love for the new material. Fucking ZERO. Great fan...but way to live in the past. Go pick up the record and turn that six pack..into a seven pack!!!! You are missin' out jackass!!! Anyway, we are up to THE FULL BUG. Great to hear live. My favorite tune from Diver Down, but it sucks that we have to lose a total ass kicker like ROMEO DELIGHT to get it. Man, no doubt if I had to pick one...it's RD till the cows come home...but THE FULL BUG is a high energy romp!! Just miss DLR abusing that harmonica after the Guitar solo. What a great song musically....a boogie unlike any other. Next...TATTOO. I went and took a piss and looked at the shirts again...but the wife loves the song. It does sound much better live and continues to get better as the tours progresses. Sounded better in the Steel City than Louisville...better in the Lou than the Steel City...and this was the one new cut that got a positive reaction from the crowd. Fuckers, the weakest track from the new album (still great..just pales next to OUTTA...AS IS...CHINA..FROSTY..)and it's the one they cheer for. Except for 'ole Grandpa Moses over to my left...if ain't from 1984 or before...he ain't interested . (he pops up again later) We now come to a devilish version of EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!! with Dave reciting a small story about "Van Halen being a multi-cultureral band" and then blessing STL with some his trademark yelps, wild tarzan hoots and hollars and typical Daveism's. The band is playing extradionarly well and this songs showcases why. Such a classic....a song I never get tired of. This would fit in perfect after Alex's solo...kick in the intro drum pattern.
    NEXT UP IN THE SET are SOMEBODY GET ME A DOCTOR, CHINA TOWN, and HEAR ABOUT IT LATER. These songs all were business as usual, nothing getting extended or any Spinal Tap type moments...no blower rants. Just the band locked in a tight groove and rockin as hard as any band can. CHINA TOWN is my favorite track from the new record and it sounded unbelievable Sunday night. The bass drums were riding out in the fore front in the PA and it made for your chest thumping like a rabbit's heart. The band was terrific on this song...it sounded like the record..only better. This was Dave's first struggle of the night, but just barely. He nailed all the lyrics and never gave up on the tune. It was a barn burner and DEMANDED respect from the audience, but still had large numbers of fucking douchebags running for the bathroom. Guess those pussies couldn't handle VH at it's hardest and most excellent. I can....play the tune twice fellas..I will scream even louder.
    PART III...tomorrow.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAUGHTER MAN View Post
    I haven't heard this yet (middle of Unchained) . Keep playing it over and over! This is why the last tour was so great. Hope there is more to come!
    Roth Army Canada

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Momshell View Post
    Here ya go - they've got tons of stuff on youtube.
    Was actually at this gig in Coral Springs... have to say wasn't digging the DLR homage... weak screams and just didn't have that Dave swagger... plus the bad Garth wig... however, Guitarist was really good, and the Bassist actually sang the one Spammy song I heard great... but then I walked out... Van Hagar hurts my ears... maybe I'm too harsh, but Ralph really set the bar for DLR tributes...

\m/ \m/
    NEW Wicked Maraya coming in 2015!!!
    'Lifetime In Hell' (unreleased 1991) and 2 NEW songs!!!
    "A little more volume in the headphones please..."

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FALCO View Post
    Ralph really set the bar for DLR tributes...

\m/ \m/

Fuck yeah he did.

And all these VH tribute bands need to go away now. Was fun when we didn't have the real thing for so long. But their time has passed.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    Side note: do you guys think Max of TMZ gets paid to wear a VH tshirt its been twice this month...

No. He's been wearing it for a while now. Remember back when katy Pery & Justin Beiber were wearing them too? They became a trendy item. Sad part is I bet these people could probably name JUMP and that's it. No clue what VH is or was all about.

fourthcoming
    Killer breakdown jam in that version of Unchained.......killer

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They started doing a jam in Unchained during Greensboro. I hadn't heard one before that which is why I made special note of it while texting the setlist to Momshell.

I gotta say, even though I've been to my fair share of shows I nevertheless got goosebumps just watching that opening video from this show. Just by standing there Roth brings out more from Eddie than anyone else can. You can't quantify that kind of chemistry.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    thats a knockout version of unchained ...

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    these are some smoking quality vids ....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    wow even al smiles during HAIL when dave is asking for more cowbell

Thread Information