X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Steven Tyler’s Botched National Anthem Not Deemed Golden Ticket-Worthy

Steven Tyler, the nicest and cuddliest judge on "American Idol," has a habit of telling almost everyone on "Idol" that they're "beautiful, just beautiful." But I have to wonder how he or his fellow judges, Jennifer Lopez and Randy Jackson, would ever react if a prospective contestant walked into the "Idol" audition room and sang [...]

Steven Tyler, the nicest and cuddliest judge on "American Idol," has a habit of telling almost everyone on "Idol" that they're "beautiful, just beautiful." But I have to wonder how he or his fellow judges, Jennifer Lopez and Randy Jackson, would ever react if a prospective contestant walked into the "Idol" audition room and sang a song as pitchy as Steven's rendition of the national anthem at this Sunday's Baltimore Ravens vs. New England Patriots AFC Championship game
    Look, I love me some S.Ty. He's one of rock 'n' roll's greatest legends and finest frontmen, a national treasure in fact--and really, who else could pull off a sequined Patriots scarf with such panache? And in his defense, Steven was singing live at the AFC game, while so many other "Star-Spangled Banner" performers have opted to lip-synch because acoustic conditions in such enormodomes are far from ideal. But that being said...this was not good, dawg. Maybe Steven should have lip-synched. I imagine the only reason he wasn't booed right off the field was the fact that he's a local Boston hero, and he was performing at Massachusetts' Gillette Stadium. Or that, you know, he's Steven Tyler, and people just love the guy no matter what he does.

However, outside Gillette Stadium, in the even vaster Twitterverse, there was a whole lot more jeering than cheering for Steven's um, interesting interpretation of the anthem.

"The Insider" host and former Fox Sports/ESPN anchorman Kevin Frazier tweeted: "Was [Ravens linebacker] Ray Lewis crying during the National Anthem or was Steven Tyler hurting his ears?" Fox Sports columnist Jason Whitlock posted: "Steven Tyler far more obscene than Janet Jackson's [bared Super Bowl breast]." Sports Business News writer Howard Bloom tweeted: "Is there any chance Ray Lewis can tackle Steven Tyler?" MMA Beatdown chimed in with: "BREAKING NEWS: New England authorities are seeking out Steven Tyler for questioning in relation to a homicide on the National Anthem today." Sports humorist Ashley Burns sardonically pointed out: "Please remember that Steven Tyler's job is criticizing people who sing." And even old-school rappers Naughty By Nature randomly tweeted: "I'm sorry Steven Tyler I can't give u a yellow ticket to move on to LA with that performance....what are ya votes Jennifer & Randy?"

Only former reality singer Aubrey O'Day, of "Making The Band"/Danity Kane infamy, seemed to be feeling the S.Ty love, tweeting: "Love Steven Tyler singing the nat anthem! Werk."

Honestly, I think Steven is a fantastic rock singer--his performance of Aerosmith's "Dream On" was THE highlight of the Season 10 "American Idol" finale last year--but this was absolutely not his best moment. It did not werk. Steven was not in it to win it in this particular AFC game.

Nice scarf, though.

• Mr Walker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

I thought it was fine... I don't know what the big deal is.

Comment

• Jagermeister
      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Mr Walker
      I thought it was fine... I don't know what the big deal is.
      A little pitchy.......

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

He was working with poor material...

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/qKR_Z4OGVto?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/qKR_Z4OGVto?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Comment

• fourthcoming

I didn't think it was horrible. You always see celebrities giving a piss poor rendition or worse....forgetting the words and here is Steven Tyler who has ingested quite a bit of chemicals in his day....at least he remembered the words.

Comment

• Jagermeister
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

For comparison. A past Idol winner.

Comment

• fourthcoming

She's no Christine Aquilera...that's for sure. Roseann Barr and Carl Lewis' renditions were trainwrecks too. Underpants can sing.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

The West Wing chick nailed it during the NFC game....
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• fourthcoming

I found her to be a little odd but she was o.k.....better than anything I could do.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by fourthcoming
                      She's no Christine Aquilera...that's for sure. Roseann Barr and Carl Lewis' renditions were trainwrecks too. Underpants can sing.
                      Everything about Underwood is better than Christina Skankuilera. From her ass to her voice.

Comment

• fourthcoming

Well said sir

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

American Idol is a bigger joke than Tyler's performance here imo.

Nobody judging his performance can sing it better.

what does pitchy mean? It's a nondescript adjective.

Comment

• mohican
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jul 2011

This one is hard to top.

Comment

• So this is love
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                              Everything about Underwood is better than Christina Skankuilera. From her ass to her voice.
                              I second that!!
                              Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

Working...