Guitarists: What's the hardest VH song to play and why?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hain23x
    Head Fluffer
    • Mar 2004

I haven't learned a new VH song in ages. The solo run to "On Fire" for me was always a challenge to get it real smooth. Maybe some day i'll get back in there and learn some more of his stuff. I never did get around to learning the Mean Street intro so maybe that one! lol

I don't think anything his playing is really "hard' but rather it's his attack that makes it sound like it's over the top IMO.
    Eat Us and Smile!
    Alright!!! Lemme' se yo hands!!

Comment

• neuralfraud
      Head Fluffer
      • Aug 2010

wow! great responses. fuckin a. I tend to synthesize my own way of getting the notes i hear out o fthe guitar.. for example the intro to mean street - I know he's doing something with his pinky at some point but it doesn't make sense to me and I can get the same note without having to do the extra work, so fuck who knows.

Originally posted by VAiN
      If you want a real challenge try 'Hang 'em High'.. the picking on that intro is no joke. It really shows Ed's amazing timing and right hand. Same with 'I'm the One'.. Ed's picking attack and style is way underrated. The timing on those 2, IMO, is next to impossible to nail - at least for a hack like me.
      I just started to learn Hang em High about a month ago. .The beginning was very difficult but I figured it out finally. The guitar work on that song is just amazing it's all just organic and doesn't sound at all rehearsed or polished from a giutar playing standpoint.

To do the intro I basically played 7th fret 6th string and 7th fret 4th string and then open 5th string 7th fret 4th string - least amount of hand movement

Still trying to figure out the noodling right before the first verse kicks in, but I can finally get through it, it's a ride man.
      Last edited by neuralfraud; 01-25-2012, 08:58 AM. Reason: derp

Comment

• neuralfraud
        Head Fluffer
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hardrock69
        Well, the thing about Ed and Al is that they have syncopation down to a fine art.

I had a fucking bitch of a time trying to learn "I'm The One", but then, when it first came out, I had only been playing guitar for a year and a half or so.

Took me a few years to become a competent guitarist, much less be able to play radical shit like that.

Still one of the most difficult songs in my opinion. Also, Loss Of Control is a mother to play, but the licks are not that hard....just that the song itself is the fastest song they ever recorded.
        Yea, loss of control. I love that song because it's just insanity. If that doesnt get you fired up, you're probably dead.

I've tried to figure that one out but Ive never put too much time into it.

Shit.. tried playing the drums to that once though... ONCE.

(fuck that!)

Comment

• neuralfraud
          Head Fluffer
          • Aug 2010

Difficult for me:

Hang Em High:
          the intro took some practice to get the timing right and finding a comfortable position to play the damn thing on.. the pace of the song is quick and there's very dramatic changes in neck position so accuracy needs to be spot on-even ed slopped it up!

I probably sound competent playing it but I know it's way off, and so will you guys ;p

Hot For Teacher
          I've been able to play this for years now and finally figured out the solo with exception of some of the timing but I realize I'm not EVH and it's better to just play it "good enough" - at least the notes are there. The tapping is difficult because of the stretch for sure... but also the clean parts with the finger picking are a nice challenge. it doesnt seem like a big deal but for me it is tough to get the notes articulated on that part.. also timing the volume knob.

if i were to list all i could play, lets see:
          • Runnin with the devil
          • eruption (good enough damnit!)
          • aint talkin bout love
          • somebody get me a doctor - still working on the solo getting everything tight
          • romeo delight - god i love that song.
          • mean street - I know im not playing the intro right because everyone can see how ed plays it, but the notes sound about the same so that works for me ;0 the percussive tapping on the 12th fret is challenging because my finger rolls off the fretboard on the 1st string and it sounds all fucked up.. d'oh
          • unchained - a simple vh song but one of the most ass kicking for sure.
          • Hang em High - that song just jams. lots of changes, alternating picking, all kinds of shit
          • Panama
          • Hot for Teacher

you know what though? give me shit or not, one of his most interesting solos has to be on humans being.. he makes it sound like he's just able to bend the string forever and it's really intense, but in reality its pretty f'n tough to move up the fret board with the b string constantly bent and maintaining pitch between moves..

me wise magic is fun to play.

Still have a lot to learn

Comment

• DLR Bridge
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Only those who "have it" can get Girl Gone Bad down. After decades of tinkering with bits and pieces of that song, I clearly do not "have it". I'll stick to tasty rhythm guitar.

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Top Jimmy is so difficult I never even tried it...

Comment

• Matt White
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                Top Jimmy is so difficult I never even tried it...

Never been into all that "Re-tune your guitar" jazz....unless its the RAIN SONG

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  I'm surprised by you saying that.
                  I was speaking to the Hot for Teacher intro which I always thought was one of those things that looks and sounds harder than it is IMHO.

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

I wonder if we will all have a "Different Kind of Answer" in a week.......
                    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

obsessing over the solo in jump ....it was the start of me playing lots more ....even now when i solo i slip into it almost as the path of least resistance ...... but for a long time it was me or it .... and the fact it took me nearly all day to play the 15 seconds of the solo never put me off lol
                      Last edited by vandeleur; 01-25-2012, 10:41 AM.
                      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• VAiN
                        Use my hand, I won't look
                        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                        Only those who "have it" can get Girl Gone Bad down. After decades of tinkering with bits and pieces of that song, I clearly do not "have it". I'll stick to tasty rhythm guitar.
                        Oh, Girl Gone Bad! I didn't even think of that one... yes - awesome riffage going on in that one.. Such a killer tune. I love the 82/83 Somebody Get Me a Doctor jams with the early workings of the tune in the middle... just brilliant!
                        Originally posted by wiseguy
                        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Panamark
                          I wonder if we will all have a "Different Kind of Answer" in a week.......
                          I doubt it, I'm pretty sure Eddie's best years are behind him.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Ye of little faith! Don't count him out. He displayed some fancy flash in the solo to She's The Woman at Cafe Wha? I'm willing to bet he's upped his game a bit from the days of using the sustainer as a crutch.

Comment

• vandeleur
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Sep 2009

Your probabley right but BIG BUT ..... all bets are off at the moment ... who would have thought 6 months ago :
                              we would have a cd( nearly) , a single a club gig that we had an army member at . the weekly updates the total push with a genuine record label, ed looking like he could even be happy , wolf showing that he is the real deal acoustic videos ....... am waiting for a dallas come out of the shower moment and this is all a dream.
                              At the moment nothing would surprise me in van halen land .... and that an exciting feeling to have
                              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• jhale667
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                                If you want a real challenge try 'Hang 'em High'.. the picking on that intro is no joke. It really shows Ed's amazing timing and right hand. Same with 'I'm the One'.. Ed's picking attack and style is way underrated. The timing on those 2, IMO, is next to impossible to nail - at least for a hack like me.
                                IMO, "I'm the One" is way more difficult rhythmically than "Hang 'em High"...maybe that's just me...

Originally posted by Matt White
                                MEAN STREETS.....and not just the intro

THe verses kick major ass as does the solo.....and outro

Learn that one & NOBODY will kick sand in your face ever again
                                Yeah, not only does that one get you mad props from the other guitarists in the audience, bar crowds go completely batty when you launch into it...

But as the saying goes, 80% of your tone is in your fingers, and since none of us has 'em but Ed, the best you could hope for would be to be an accurate clone (even if you have the correct gear), which IS cool if you're in a tribute band, but... I'd rather get the licks as close to right as I can but still sound like ME playin' 'em...much like VH never did letter-perfect versions of the songs THEY covered...
                                Originally posted by conmee
                                If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                                Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                                I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                                Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                                Originally posted by eddie78
                                I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

Working...