Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status

About Time....Subpoenas issued to financial firms in expanded probe

And some people say Obama doesn't do anything.....

http://news.yahoo.com/subpoenas-issu...224852789.html

ReutersBy Aruna Viswanatha and James Vicini | Reuters – 4 hrs ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Justice Department issued civil subpoenas to 11 financial institutions as part of a new effort to investigate misconduct in the packaging and sale of home loans to investors, Attorney General Eric Holder said on Friday.

Holder declined to provide specifics, including the names of the firms.

"We are wasting no time in aggressively pursuing any and all leads," Holder said at a news conference announcing details of a new working group to investigate misconduct in the residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) market, "you can expect more to follow."

President Barack Obama said he directed Holder to create the new unit in his State of the Union speech late Tuesday, saying it was needed to "help turn the page on an era of recklessness."

On Friday a slew of federal and state officials appeared at the news conference to provide details about the new group.

Housed within an earlier financial fraud task force that Obama created in 2009, it is expected to be staffed with around 50 attorneys, analysts and agents, officials said.

Some skeptics have questioned whether the new group is largely a political move because the other fraud task force already exists.

Also, the Obama administration has received heat from left-leaning activist groups that believe a separate effort to investigate misconduct in processing foreclosures and servicing home loans may not be rigorous enough to extract a meaningful settlement.

In exchange for providing up to $25 billion in housing relief, much in the form of cutting mortgage debt for distressed borrowers, the top U.S. banks are expected to put behind them government lawsuits about lending and servicing abuses - but not securitization claims.

The banks involved in the discussions include Bank of America, Wells Fargo & Co, JPMorgan Chase & Co, Citigroup and Ally Financial Inc.

Those talks have dragged into their second year as some states, including California and New York, criticized the direction of the negotiations and said the proposed settlement would release the banks from too many claims.

The deal appears to be getting closer, with last-ditch efforts to lure the hold-out states to join.

California has said it still has reservations about the deal, but California Attorney General Kamala Harris has met in recent weeks with federal officials in Washington to discuss her concerns about the settlement, people familiar with the matter said.

The attorney general in New York, Eric Schneiderman, was named as a co-chair of the new working group, prompting speculation that the position was partly aimed at persuading him to join the settlement.

In an interview with Reuters, Schneiderman said: "The releases have become narrow enough so that I'm confident a full investigation can go forward." Asked if he was signing on, he said, "Not yet," because "other issues" are still outstanding.

MULTIPLE EFFORTS

At the news conference, U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan also said that the multistate deal will not prevent the working group from pursuing its own claims about the securitization of home loans.

"We would not be standing here today if we weren't absolutely confident that the releases that are being contemplated were quite narrow, focused on the conduct that was actually investigated," Donovan said.

"There will be concrete actions taken in the next few weeks to confirm we're serious," Schneiderman added in the interview.

Exactly what the new group will tackle is unclear, since the construction and sale of mortgage securities is already the subject of massive government and private lawsuits.

"The simple fact is that this is an election year, and politics will inevitably play a role in every aspect of what is at its core a superfluous investigation," said Richard Gottlieb, who heads the financial industry group at the law firm Dykema.

"Others have already done the leg work, the lawsuits have already been filed, and the courts will already be deciding these issues," said Gottlieb.

The Federal Housing Finance Agency, for example, which oversees Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, sued 17 large banks last September over losses on about $200 billion of subprime bonds and said the underlying mortgages did not meet investors' criteria.

Speaking at the news conference, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission enforcement director Robert Khuzami said his agency has already reviewed 25 million pages of documents on related investigations.

"To be clear, investigations into RMBS offerings have been ongoing at the SEC," Khuzami said.

Holder said the Justice Department had discussed the subpoenas with the SEC, and said the new requests do not duplicate earlier efforts from the SEC.

He also responded to criticism that federal enforcers have brought few marquee cases in the aftermath of the financial crisis. Holder said the department has brought around 2,100 mortgage-related cases.

"The notion that there has been inactivity over the course of the last three years is belied by a troublesome little thing called facts," Holder said.

Several top banks, including Bank of America, Citigroup, JPMorgan, RBS Americas and Deutsche Bank, declined to comment when contacted by Reuters about the new working group's efforts.

(Reporting By Aruna Viswanatha and Jim Vicini in Washington, D.C. and Karen Freifeld in New York; Editing by Tim Dobbyn and Matthew Lewis)

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    about fucking time ... how coincidental that it's during election season, too...
    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "Young musicians are always coming up to me and asking how do you know when you've made it. When you can spell subpoena without thinking about it, that's when you know you've made it." - David Lee Roth
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
    about fucking time ... how coincidental that it's during election season, too...
    What does Ron Paul think of the subpenas?

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I dunno, I didn't ask him

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "We are wasting no time in aggressively pursuing any and all leads," Holder said.............................................. ........not in 2009, not in 2010 but in 2012. Better late than never, I suppose, this shit has only been going on since Jimmy Carter.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What? Politicians feeling the need to actually do something because it's an election year?

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    When is it not?

spare us.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Eric Holder sucks.

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post
    When is it not?

spare us.....
    Just answer this, then.

Why didn't he do this when this shit was going down when he first went into office? Why didn't he do it during the first year? Why didn't he do it when the people were demanding it (Tea Party, OWS, etc)?

Why did he wait until his final year in office, during election season, to do it? What's the sudden reason to do it now instead of any other time that would seem to be more appropriate?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Warham View Post
    Eric Holder sucks.
    Yeah he does.....

I'll believe results from that assclown when I actually see some of these criminals go to prison.

I still say that the "scandals" of John Edwards and Elliot Spitzer were designed to keep them out of consideration for Attorney General, because they would have actually done the job and shut this shit downin their first year of office.

Not that I excuse their stupidity in either case, but it's just a damn tragedy, that Diaperhead Vitter is still in the Senate, and neither of these guys is able to do what they do best (yeah, besides the ho's)
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just answer this, then.

Why didn't he do this when this shit was going down when he first went into office? Why didn't he do it during the first year? Why didn't he do it when the people were demanding it (Tea Party, OWS, etc)?

Why did he wait until his final year in office, during election season, to do it? What's the sudden reason to do it now instead of any other time that would seem to be more appropriate?
    It's interesting that you hold Obama to far higher standard than your internetz crush, Paul...

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i expect both of them to keep their word. There is no difference in the standard I hold them to. Obama has repeatedly said one thing and done another.

I'd actually expect the rest of you that are supporting him to hold him to a higher standard since you believe/agree with his philosophy and positions. You guys seem to be giving him a pass when I would expect you to be pushing him to justify your continued support. It's almost like he can take you guys for granted and you're willing to let him.

Do you have answers to the questions I posed?
    Last edited by Dr. Love; 01-28-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No. I didn't ask him...

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can only take Paul at his word that he would have let the banks fail and he would have prosecuted those responsible (and pushed to end the Federal Reserve). I don't know if he's said anything publicly about the subpoenas that Obama is doing now.

Satisfied?

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just answer this, then.

The only thing I can think of is......he's a Centrist and wanted to work with both sides in a bi-partisan way that Dubya didn't.

Naive and a complete failure of a plan and the Demos paid for it in the last mid-terms.

Didn't help either that between everyone calling him a different 'ist or 'ism everyday.....ran complete lies about Death Panels and mandatory prison time when the Health Care bill got gutted.

He failed to get his message out to the American people and sell it...it got so watered down that at one point I don't think the words Health Care or Reform were even mentioned in the shitty Bill that passed.

He gets a ton of blame from me on the issues.....look back at my posts since he took office......I'm not his cheerleader nor did I believe he was The Second Coming. He pussed out and didn't fight for his agenda or make the case to the American people....he actually thought Congress would get the job done......dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Something people constantly do is claim a President promised one thing and did another. As if it is always the President who is to blame for this.

These people are not bothering to mention that in many cases the Pesident promised one thing, and Congress prevented them from fulfilling that promise.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Stated and on the record....the GOP promised to make Obama a 1-term President.....even at the expense of the American people.

Congress has what? A 20% approval rating.....the lowest in history, I believe.

Tea Baggers really turned this Country around, didn't they

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Something people constantly do is claim a President promised one thing and did another. As if it is always the President who is to blame for this.

These people are not bothering to mention that in many cases the Pesident promised one thing, and Congress prevented them from fulfilling that promise.
    I think there are several pages of this in the ron paul thread. Yes, the Congress is part of the problem. The President is also part of the problem.

Thread Information