Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Official Van Halen, "China Town" review thread.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vein Elaine Chena Tone
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    That's a rockin' tune. Bad ass. The more I hear the more I like. This album is going to rock! Can't wait for buh-buh-buh-buh bullethead!
    This space for rent.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Texan View Post
    Oh, and since we've already heard at least three songs that aren't created from old songs (The Trouble With Never, Stay Frosty, and China Town), Sammy is officially full of shit claiming that the whole album isn't anything but old stuff.
    As usual, the Ched Rockhead doesn't have a leg to stand on with regard to using old material. In fact, the song he named his restaurant/tequila for was based on an old Montrose tune called "Make It Last."
    Last edited by chefcraig; 01-27-2012 at 10:19 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    That's a rockin' tune. Bad ass. The more I hear the more I like. This album is going to rock! Can't wait for buh-buh-buh-buh bullethead!
    Also the one I can't wait to hear. It will be kickass if it's anything like the original Bullethead. That song would have fit right in on the first Van Halen album.
    Last edited by Little Texan; 01-27-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    The first time I heard Bullithead I was thinking how the fuck did this not make it on an album before Jump ?? Just a killer riff !! It sounds like they didn't fuck with it to much from the clip. If he changed the solo a little that's cool.

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Texan View Post
    I'm going to say it right now...just based on the tunes we've heard so far, this album is going to be better than at least one album of the 6 pack, Diver Down or 1984. Possibly top 3, even.
    I wouldn't go that damn far.

As stellar as this album might be, it's kind of it's own thing.

and NOTHING fucks with the sixer.

Not then. Not now. Not ever.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    [QUOTE=hambon4lif;1603081]I wouldn't go that damn far.

As stellar as this album might be, it's kind of it's own thing.

and NOTHING fucks with the sixer.
    I agree. Those albums have so much spirt too them. Even Diver Down with all the cover's on it. Then again the only one I hated was Dancing In The Streets. But if these guy's can finish off their careers in their 50's and probobly early 60's if the next one takes 3 year's, this is a good start.

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    I agree. Those albums have so much spirt too them. Even Diver Down with all the cover's on it. Then again the only one I hated was Dancing In The Streets. But if these guy's can finish off their careers in their 50's and probobly early 60's if the next one takes 3 year's, this is a good start.
    People are pumped-up and fucking stoked about this album, I understand that. I totally get it. When I heard "China Town" my dick got so hard that I think it actually made noises at one point.
    I'm proud of this band right now, and I think this album is going to fucking KILL!!

Having said that, I just can't bring myself to say that it's better than any of the six-pack. That's just crazy-talk!
    Those six albums are the soundtrack to my life. The good and the bad. All of it.
    I couldn't even begin to imagine what my life would've been like without them. I'm glad I don't ever have to find out.

This album sounds like it's the ace of motherfuckin' spades, but it's a card of a different deck. There's a different kind of truth for ya'.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I cannot judge the album until I have heard the whole thing in sequence.

That is how it has always been and always shall be.

Den we can talk.

Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As great as the "6 Pack" is I believe as others that this album from at least the clips we have been able to listen to will hold up just fine as a grade A DLR Vanhalen album!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    This is easily my favourite VH or DLR song ever and I haven't even hear the whole song yet.....new album or not. I'm in disbelief how badass this is......I was sketpic and at best expected an album full of so-so songs.

This sounds like Elephant Gun meets Shyboy meets Fair Warning. I'm amazed by this.

Dave's vocals and delivery and coolness is far beyond anything I would have expected. This song and album from the bits I've heard easily rival the 6 pack. I think only Fair Warning beats this.

This needs to be a single to snuff out any remainign naysayers.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    People are pumped-up and fucking stoked about this album, I understand that. I totally get it. When I heard "China Town" my dick got so hard that I think it actually made noises at one point.
    I'm proud of this band right now, and I think this album is going to fucking KILL!!

Having said that, I just can't bring myself to say that it's better than any of the six-pack. That's just crazy-talk!
    Those six albums are the soundtrack to my life. The good and the bad. All of it.
    I couldn't even begin to imagine what my life would've been like without them. I'm glad I don't ever have to find out.

This album sounds like it's the ace of motherfuckin' spades, but it's a card of a different deck. There's a different kind of truth for ya'.
    Well said. As a fan since '81, I can't yet think in terms of placing ADKOT above Diver Down or 1984. The six-pack is just sacred to me. But having said that, we should keep an open mind. Particulary as a substantial part of this album was born during the Classic Van Halen era. I'm just trying to get my head around how incredible this music is - after all these years......

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know, it feels so strange to say this - but they couldn't have put out a record that's more for the fans than this one. It's like Dave, Ed and Al sat down and said, "ok, they've been beggin' for it - so we're gonna fucking give it to 'em!" I mean, just hearing the intro to Big Trouble/Big River, and She's the Woman, Blood and Fire, and on and on. Hell, I'm so fucking stoked I'm thinking about buying a couple of Ed's ties, some flip-flops and a new pair of shoes!!!

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post

Hmm... I can see liking it more than D.D. just because it's more original's, Originals that should have been on D.D. !! Hey I love D.D. just because it's so fun. If this album was recorded in 1985 I think you put it ahead of D.D. if the songs sound as good as the clips all the way through. To be honest from what I hear of the clips the only thing that I might not like about this album is that the production is so good. I loved how tiny and thin the 6 pack sounds ! Shit Daves first 3 solo albums are better than D.D. I think. Listened to A little Aint Enough today at work. It grows on me more and more. Becker was fantastic on it !! But at the end of the day I really don't rate albums. If they have good tunes I listen !! I will listen to this one. Probably more than Diver Down.
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 01-27-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Calderone View Post
    lol im pretty pretty sure those are sampled

Sammy buddy....You're wrong. It's not sampled....and it's not similar to RWTD. It sounds like the WOO on Sinner's Swing.

C'mon Pal get with it. Back to class with you.

No way is it sampled. The whole song vocally sounds almost exactly like Elephant Gun mixed with Shyboy...then merged with Fair Warning.

Dave's vocals are just badass. Better than I ever would have believed. Awesome. I'm amazed at this song.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    You know, it feels so strange to say this - but they couldn't have put out a record that's more for the fans than this one. It's like Dave, Ed and Al sat down and said, "ok, they've been beggin' for it - so we're gonna fucking give it to 'em!"
    I've been thinking the same thing. Hell, they even gave us an anthem for the tour "we came, we came, we came...through blood and fire"!
    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Smokin !

Running out of superlaptives at a rapid rate here !
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm on overload, must sleep, but don't know if I can!

Oh dear.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensible Shoes View Post
    I'm on overload, must sleep, but don't know if I can!
    I think I need to smoke another joint and knock myself out. It is SO hard to concentrate on school right now! I check here for news before starting homework...and then I'm doomed for the day. HELP, I NEED DISCIPLINE!!!!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    This is easily my favourite VH or DLR song ever and I haven't even hear the whole song yet.....new album or not. I'm in disbelief how badass this is......I was sketpic and at best expected an album full of so-so songs.

This sounds like Elephant Gun meets Shyboy meets Fair Warning. I'm amazed by this.

Dave's vocals and delivery and coolness is far beyond anything I would have expected. This song and album from the bits I've heard easily rival the 6 pack. I think only Fair Warning beats this.

This needs to be a single to snuff out any remainign naysayers.
    People who say things like "Lets face it Daves voice is shot so its only about the attitude now for me ? "

Always admired your fight, admiring the fact you admitting you were totally wrong !
    If this shit is affecting (former) stubborn dude like you, then the war really has been won.
    Let me be the first to say, Goood Onya BOF !!

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For anyone who says Dave's voice is shot...Fuck You! If there is anyone posting here that STILL says the new Van Halen tunes aren't what they were expecting...Fuck You Very Much! This is NOT the band for you and you can piss off! As a matter of fact...there is a forum for you sheep..here or on another site - take your fucking pick!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't know if anyone has suggested...the very possibility...that we may just have indeed....

...heard the OPENING SONG of the A Different Kind of Truth Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Panamark View Post
    Smokin !

Running out of superlaptives at a rapid rate here !

Mark, you just invented your own new one "Superlaptives"

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Feb 7th can't get here fast enough!!!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Everything I've heard...all the various clips...VERY encouraging.

Once this is released, I'm gonna get both the regular and deluxe releases...the regular will live in my car...alone...spun non-stop...

It's been fucking EONS since I've looked forward to a new album. From ANYBODY.

Readily agreed Dave and the Vans did a smart thing by going back to the vaults and updating those unreleased demo treasures.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    y'know... I hear a bit of zakk wylde just before the clip ends with that sick harmonic! Like it. Has EVH been in some way influenced by those he's influenced?

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Cubic Zirconia
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    Sammy buddy....You're wrong. It's not sampled....and it's not similar to RWTD. It sounds like the WOO on Sinner's Swing.

C'mon Pal get with it. Back to class with you.

No way is it sampled. The whole song vocally sounds almost exactly like Elephant Gun mixed with Shyboy...then merged with Fair Warning.

Dave's vocals are just badass. Better than I ever would have believed. Awesome. I'm amazed at this song.
    I agree, Dave sounds fucking great, and yes, better than, I think, anyone expected, this is just PURE classic Van Halen. Killing intro!!
    I had some crazy vision, one I can't deny it
    It said "Open your eyes. Leave it all behind."

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Panamark View Post
    People who say things like "Lets face it Daves voice is shot so its only about the attitude now for me ? "

Always admired your fight, admiring the fact you admitting you were totally wrong !
    If this shit is affecting (former) stubborn dude like you, then the war really has been won.
    Let me be the first to say, Goood Onya BOF !!
    G'Day Mark.

Whatever Dave did to improve his voice I don't know. But he hasn't souned this good since 1991. No matter the reason, these songs kick ass like I never expected.

No matter all the bickering, fighting, insults and back and forth of DLR Army members over the years....we've all been here for the same reason: Because VH is the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the history of the world, and DLR is the greatest frontman in the history of the world.

Everyone else is a distance second. Period.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    GOOD GOD!!!!

HOLY KRAP! THIS IS FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE! (he said with a tear in his eye)

Just now heard this clip!

FUCKING VAN HALEN BITCHES!!!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up

Holy Fuck Nut ...

Just like I've always said, I never had a doubt that without Diamond, it's just not VH

This cd is gonna fuckin' rock and remind evryone that Diamond David Lee Roth is the greatest frontman who ever graced a band.

PERI-FUCKIN-ID !
    Hot dog and a shake

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Agreed..this may be the opener....and I cant fuckin wait til this thing hits my hands...Stay Frosty and this one here have given me high expectations..
    My thoughts EXACTLY.
    Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    PS. Calderone is right.

Dave doesnt "Whooo!" like that anymore.

Did I just type that? Ha!

blueretard
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    LOL

blueretard
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hahahah the guy @ wha club singing to his camera..LOL

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Too funny!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemustard View Post
    Hahahah the guy @ wha club singing to his camera..LOL
    That fucker. LOL.

This song is a straight up killer hard rock song.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

blueretard
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    That fucker. LOL.

This song is a straight up killer hard rock song.
    LOL

Yeah..the song makes me wanna drive a car thru a shoppingmall..lol

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    great...simple as that...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A buck is still a buck in Shanghai

Thread Information