X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
    Yeah, but they both stole the progression and pauses from Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, on the tune "Oh, Well."

Most good music is just thievery mixed with innovation. Everything can be traced to something that came before it. As long as a band can make a sound that is unique to them & instantly recognizable as them I'm ok with that. ANY VH song you can tell it's Eddie. Same with Angus. You would have to raise a child without allowing them to hear any music ever if you wanted them to create truly original music. And without ever hearing anything to determine the difference between win & fail the chances of it being anything good are slim as fuck.

And honestly, what makes As Is so good is Dave anywhow.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• GreenBayLA
      Sniper
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Eyes of the Night
      What the hell is Al saying? 1234 ???? ...
      Listen close (but not too close), it's 1234 Fu(k Sam Hagar!
      "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• VHscraps
        Veteran
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by chefcraig
        Yeah, but they both stole the progression and pauses from Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, on the tune "Oh, Well."
        Jeez! I have listened to 'Oh Well' a million times (and the AC/DC tune was never off my turntable back in those days) and I never made the link, but yeah - there's a definite "family resemblance" there.

I would just take this opportunity to say that if anyone is unfamiliar with the original Fleetwood Mac, this (below), Greatest Hits (1971) is a great fucking guitar album - a collection of their UK hits in that late 60s era. While they had global success with the 70s incarnation of the band, in the UK the Peter Green version of the band at its peak in the late 60s was more successful than the Beatles and the Stones ... and everyone else.

Included on this are also 'Green Manalishi' (covered by Judas Priest), 'Black Magic Woman' (covered by Santana), 'Rattlesnake Shake' (Aerosmith claimed it as a big influence, and played it live), 'Albatross' (their huge instrumental hit), 'Need Your Love So Bad' (which made BB King say that Peter Green was the only other guitarist who gave him chills), and 'Man of the World' (you can just hear that as the beginning of Peter Green breaking down - what a fucking song).

THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• VHscraps
          Veteran
          • Jul 2009

Actually - that isn't the album it purports to be ...!
          THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

Working...