X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smorgdonkey
    Roadie
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Jetstream
    Here is a question worth pondering (for a very short time because I luv the new LP by Van Halen)...why didn't Mike ask Dave if he could play bass for him when Van Halen was doing nothing? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Case closed
    ...because he was on Ed's side of that fight since 1985 and Dave wouldn't have asked him to anyway. Mike was quite supportive of the Dave bashing back in the day so there was obviously no relationship between Mike and Dave. To me, that case was never open.

Comment

• Yount
      Commando
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ZahZoo
      To imply that the Mighty VH was a only two man operation... it just petty crap...
      Yeah poor Alex. Fools.

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Mike was in on the Dave bashing when he was in Van Halen.

Now that he's out of VH, he says Dave is the only reason he'd want to jam with the group again.

The guy has no core.

Comment

• AccidentalAngel
          Full On Cocktard
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by smorgdonkey
          That's the part that I don't get. I haven't heard Mike slag any of them except for Dave when Mike was Ed's lapdog. Who says Mike didn't call once per week? It's not like Ed was going to be friendly with him knowing that he was going to have the kid play bass anyway.
          I don't think Ed was planning to have Wolf play base back in 2004 for two reasons.
          1. The kid was what 13 years old at the time.
          2. 2004 Ed didn't seem to be able to do much thinking or planning

Comment

• chi-town324
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Feb 2007

Mike always sounded like his nuts were caught in a pair of vise grips....honestly when they were playing live i never once focuses on Mike...hes gonna be fine kids...he's a multi millionaire..with a hot sauce line!

Comment

• smorgdonkey
              Roadie
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by AccidentalAngel
              I don't think Ed was planning to have Wolf play base back in 2004 for two reasons.
              1. The kid was what 13 years old at the time.
              2. 2004 Ed didn't seem to be able to do much thinking or planning
              Well, I must concede that your take sounds damn logical but I believe that Ed wanted to move Mike to an employee role rather than a lapdog with full band member status - the signing thing pretty much spells that out. The times he was asked about Mike were ridiculous though...Ed would deflect and say things to suggest that Mike could have come back but just didn't. How does one go back when the guy running the show gets you to sign away your affiliation?

Originally posted by chi-town324
              Mike always sounded like his nuts were caught in a pair of vise grips....honestly when they were playing live i never once focuses on Mike...hes gonna be fine kids...he's a multi millionaire..with a hot sauce line!
              ...and that is true even if you don't agree with the vise grip assessment.

Comment

• gbranton
                Veteran
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by smorgdonkey
                It's just stupid anyway, like Gene Simmons' kid putting on the Ace makeup and taking over on tour. I know, that hasn't happened - YET!
                I think Nick will end up on stage with makeup on...... Gene's that is. Anybody heard him sing on the last Bruce Kulick album? He'll be singing God of Thunder, not Shock Me.

Evan Stanley will take Paul's place and KISS will play on for another 40 years.
                "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• bueno bob
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Yount
                  "And, hey, it'll be nice to hear some of those old songs again that I haven't played in a long time."

He'd leave chickenfoot in an instant to go back to VH. Just my opinion.
                  Trust me, it's a FACT.
                  Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

As far as "backing vocals" go, I always considered Mike a bit too high registered for my own personal tastes, although it DID make them unique and original.

That said, I don't buy albums for the backing vocals, so...I could give a shit less, really. Let them pump 'em in for the tour and I'll sit there smiling the whole time, doesn't bother me in the slightest.
                    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                      Sniper
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by MUSICMANN
                      I don't have but one big problem with MA. Instead of being loyal to VH, he chose to side with that Red Round Fat Spammy. MA was and will always be part of VH legacy and signature sound. Just a shame he took the route that was not really in his best interest. Hey, MA is a cool dude, a nice guy, but i think really gullible. He let The fat one get in his head and caused him to make some monumental friendship mistakes with Ed and AL and Dave for that matter. I think in the near future, as this new Album really starts to heat up and the fat fucker getting more and more crazy jealous, and continue to mouth off, MA will start to finally see how he was used by that prick and cost him his place in VH.
                      Mike chose to align himself with the dark side. For that there will be no forgiveness. Never. Ever.
                      "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• Tiki-Tom
                        Commando
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                        Last Friday my 14 year old son was going through my old bootleg DVDs looking for something to watch and he took out the VH show from Largo 1982. I sat with him for a few minutes checking it out and I asked him what he thought. He said "I don't think I can watch this... the background vocals really suck!"... wasn't expecting that response but laughed at how true the statement was. I also felt the same way today when I was listening to a VH show from Pasadena 1977. Mike's voice kinda reminded me of the noise I hear when my brake pads need replacing. They are called 'background vocals' because they are supposed to sit nice in the background and add to the overall sound of the band... not trying to overpower everything else with loud hi-pitched undisciplined yelps.
                        Very wise observation coming from your son. That has always been one of my very few gripes about the classic stuff. Anthony's voice kinda sounds at times like two cats fightin' over dinner down at the local dump!
                        [

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                          Sniper
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                          There's not much for Mike to go after... if the songs were never published or released there's not a lot to wrangle over legally.

I find some of the cheap shots slamming Mike rather childish. He was a full contributing member of Van Halen for 30+ years and well respected among many of the top musicians in the rock world. To imply that the Mighty VH was a only two man operation... it just petty crap...
                          Van Halen is/was ABSOLUTELY a two man operation. I could play bass or drums in Van Halen right now and you wouldn't even know the difference unless you saw me. And I am not even a good bass player or drummer. Furthermore we all know Dave and Ed wrote ALL of the songs.
                          "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• Fairwrning
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                            Mike and Sam sure like to talk a lot about VH dont they?
                            Well..being in Chickenfoot doesnt gather much attention..

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by dave_is_vh
                              Van Halen is/was ABSOLUTELY a two man operation. I could play bass or drums in Van Halen right now and you wouldn't even know the difference unless you saw me. And I am not even a good bass player or drummer. Furthermore we all know Dave and Ed wrote ALL of the songs.

Now Al's not a good drummer
                              Originally posted by vandeleur
                              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Matt White
                                • Jun 2004

I cunt believe anybody would waste this much bandwidth on "Hot-sauce Sobieski".........

Its not like Jaco Pastorius played for VAN HALEN...............

get the fuck over it

Comment

Working...