Thread: Small-Time Music Industry Assholes.....

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Small-Time Music Industry Assholes.....

I am posting this in the Gear section because it is something us musicians deal with a lot:

Assholes who think they are God's gift to the music industry....who think they know all there is to know, and who are quick to put down other people who have not "made it", or who talk shit about people while adopting an "I'm so superior" attitude, even when the person they are slamming is someone they do not even know....when they themselves have not had any real success in the music industry.

Remember Garfuckle anyone?

So anyway, I was hanging out on Facebook, and someone I know here in Gnashville posted a link to a blog for this asshat here in town who is a supposed "management consultant".

Some friends of mine had a run-in with him last year.....I already knew he was somewhat of a jerk.......

I posted a sort of innocuous statement....something like "Bands without enough imagination to figure out ways to be noticed are more likely than not going to have a difficult time of it even when they have to pay someone to help them be "noticed".

Of course I was talking about local bands....and to some degree it is true. If you have at least one or two driven people in your band who are creative at all, it is not too difficult to figure out how to make your band stand out from all the other bands on the local scene.....but if nobody has a clue.....even with the assistance of someone it is going to be difficult for them to succeed.........just sayin'....

I was not targeting anyone....I was not targeting the individual who is this supposed "management consultant"....was just making a comment....a friend (who knows him apparently) had posted a link to his blog, so I commented.

Yet suddenly he begins going off on me....saying I was a nobody, that I knew nothing about the music industry, blah, blah blah.

Of course (as some of you know), he picked the wrong person to try this with. I can at least thank Gar for giving me plenty of practice in dealing with overbearing, reactionary assholes with delusions of godhood.

I pointed out that my statement had no relevancy to him or the way he did his business. And that he had no idea who I was, or how long I have been in the business (I do not use my real name on Facebook).

I further pointed out that it was highly unprofessional of him to blow a gasket over such a trivial thing. He then blew up.

The Moron:

Saying that a band a band shouldn't have to pay someone like "me" or they weren't going to get anywhere anyway. Showing again that you DON"T know the business. Every act wishes they could have a "me" working for them to show them what not to do, what not to say, how to say it etc.... There is way more involved then you could possibly know and here you sit again, someone no one has ever heard of saying "Well a band shouldn't need help, look at me, I know what I am doing." It completely and totally came off as arrogant and ignorant at the same time. Thank you again. I don't mind coming off as a jerk when people like you fuck up posts with their arrogance and insult every band on the planet for wanting professional help. #Jackass
    I had never said "a band should not have to pay someone like him", but once these trolls get something in their head, well, you know the story....his arrogance is astounding for someone who is a nobody.....and then he wants to say there is way more involved than I could possibly know?

Fucking dumbass.

My reply:

Who is insulting who?
    Insulting every band on the planet is a tall order.
    And you continue to claim I made statements I did not.

You said you don't mind coming off like a jerk.
    Well, yes, you do know what you are doing, obviously.

You have no idea how long I have been in this business, young padawan, or what my accomplishments are.

So since you so obviously want me to, I will say it now...you ARE demonstrating unprofessional behavior.

I tried to help you end this gracefully, but if you wish to continue to appear to be an unprofessional jackass, please continue.

I eagerly await your next expert statements on everything you know about me, what I have accomplished, what I think, etc.

Come on Mr. Professional Music Consultant. Let's hear it.
    The moron:

Oh shut your hole. You are nobody to be saying "a band who needs someone to tell them now to get noticed etc..." get a fanbase, experience and actually succeed at the business and then pop off. Until then shut it. All the local musicians that think they are funny by trashing others or saying "you don't need etc" every time some one like me does shit for free to help the local musicians need to put their egos in check. Until you have a track record of success, you have nothing really to offer other than opinion which usually means nothing and all you do is piss people off and ruin the scene so shut the fuck up.
    My reply:

No.

The only people who ruin "the scene" are unprofessional jerks with superiority complexes.

You know everything, and everybody else knows nothing, as you are so fond of saying.
    Hilarious. I am sure you are happy in your multi-million-dollar mansion and your fleet of Ferraris with that attitude.

Kudos to you for any help you give musicians, but that does not automatically mean you know everything about the music business, does it?
    Perhaps you should read some sort of self-help book about how to do business without being an asshat.

Can't hurt.

Ok, your turn.
    The Moron:
    lol if you knew me you'd know I never say I know everthing but I do know smart asses like you will not get anywhere in this business and I will make sure of it.

Ooooo....threatening me now....

My reply:
    Ah, so now after you escalate something trivial into a major epic motion picture event, you start in with the threats.

So you are going to make sure of it? Let me guess. You have "friends" in the business.

"BIG POWERFUL friends".

Ooooooooo....me scared. :-(

Me wants my Mommy.

:-D

LMAO!

So this is how "professional" you are? Someone makes a comment, you come unglued, start hurling insults while trying to make yourself appear somehow "all-knowing" and "all-seeing", then you begin threatening people?

Is this how you attract new clients?

Do you really want to keep on? You are only damaging YOUR reputation with all this rubbish.

So....are you going to continue? Or are you going to act like a mature adult (instead of an angry 2-year-old) and quit while you are behind?

He never replied. He at least finally realized that I was telling him the truth......he was a jackass, and was only hurting his own reputation by going off on me like that.

I am aware of who this guy is, and what his abilities are. He is like so many others in the biz who try to pretend they are some huge entity in the music industry...while operating a small company on a shoestring....

Nothing wrong with that....as long as you are a decent human being, and not a hypocritical asshole.

The old adage "methinks he doth protest too much" applies here. I think he actually has an inferiority complex, and has to go out of his way to prove his "superiority" to everyone, lest anyone think he is the ignorant fuck he truly is.

Ah well. It takes all kinds to make a world.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Sounds like a pretty cool dude to me..
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

He's not.

I could see him having a condescending attitude like that if he were Irving Azoff talking to a drunk in a shitty bar band, but he has no valid reason to be such a jackoff.

He is that way not just to me. He flies off the handle like that to other people around here. Short-tempered bitch with an inferiority complex.

Oh well. Life goes on....

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, that was a joke.. He seems like a complete jackass.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

That's why he got the job...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    That's why he got the job...
    Ba-zing! Funny, but I think you're right..

Thread Information