• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sambo
    Sniper
    • Jun 2004

Official "A Different Kind of Truth" Album Review Thread

Official Release in Australia

Just been through the whole thing.. hope you don't mind if I share..

Tattoo

We know. Actually now that I have heard the rest, a very good call for first single for a number of reasons… good hook, good BVs (see videos for further proof) Most radio friendly – it sticks .. who can argue..… . solid first album song.

But the main reason I think - it showcases Dave brilliantly… “Welcome back Dave!!” – he’s all over this for a reason.. well that’s what I got out of this. HEY PEOPLE…Dave is back… and that’s why it put a smile on my face the first time..

Overanalyze this song at your peril..

I do like Al’s drum sound in this the more I listen.. I may have not paid as much attention when the single came out just fckn… awesome

Missus is already singing this one.. so far so good.

I know people ripped into Ed for not ripping it out on this track… (not from the Army here) but he does in another way.. that DLR/CVH swagger that only THEY can get (FCK all you haters!!!) but it’s a cool, stripped back solo with lots of grin

She’s the Woman
    WOW WOW WOW. High point.. Fresh take on a great song… (missus loves this too – good sign??)

This songs fckn motors along… it’s like “I’m driving I don’t need to speed but get the fuck out of my way” song…. … band is awesome. Got to be a single.

There’s a reason in the Café Wha? Video Dave yells “Sing it Wolf” . Wolf fckn NAILS this vocals and bass riff, locked in the zone with Al..

You and Your Blues

ATBL kind of intro/verse but diff tempo… Al’s working well with Ed for this..

I do like in Dave in this…he hits a few high ones in the chorus..

If that’s Wolf on BVs again - THANKYOUVERYMUCH..

Ed and Al are doin just fine btw.. if anyone was wondering… ☺

Like it, don’t know why yet…

China Town

Alex – All over the intro… fark.. if this is his smaller kit.. Al’s got this pumpin…

Solo – Hang ‘em High…. with a knarly twist.

Brilliant… this will be a fan’s fave.. but there’s sooo much good on this CD to go..

Blood and Fire

> Ripley

You all know it…I actually like it…a Diver Down feel… Ed (and Al) pull their gain back and get a cool Diver Down sound.

Unreal that Dave has line “… now look at all of the people.. here tonight” (It’s my favourite line from Dave live)… with AL and Wolf chugging behind this one line sounds brilliant…

“TOLD YA I WAS COMING BACK…” - DLR

BulletHead

Most know it...

Nod to the previously rare track.. sounds amazing to hear it in this quality for the “first time” and a massive cudos to Wolf for doing well here on both counts. (nod to MA)

I already like this song so won't comment.

As If

Cathedral type intro…… at the beginning tells you are in for something special..

Quick, quick, quick.. reminds me of Loss of Control /Girl Gone Bad with an Hang Em High tempo.

Al works up a sweat… using the kit well..

If that’s Wolf keeping up he’s slaying it..

Good middle, cleaner guitar sound..

Probably my favorite so far

Honeysweetiebabydoll

Perhaps a new VH version of intruder into …cool but odd…for about 45 seconds then MONSTERS into to a riff straight off FW.. Dave tells a story here… Ed’s doing well, you think he’s going one way with a tried and true run but he pulls himself a bit left again. new Ed…cool..

Ed gives this one a right monstering…… all the way through he shines on this track. Kids everywhere will be wanting to learn this one…

Then WTF?, cool middle 8 – middle eastern almost.. Ed’s building up for something..

Tasty tasty… solo…can’t describe it.. I think it’s the best one album.. then the ½ second pause then back into main riff that they fckn nail…

That’s the Trouble with Never

Know it.. if you’ve heard it THEN LISTEN AGAIN with good cans/monitors/ speakers… classic VH.. typical VH2.. you can feel it. Some say the wah gets a bit tedious… …

I’d like the verses to go longer, 1st chorus ended quickly and the 2nd verse is in..

Solo – again, Ed sounds like he’s familiar ground again but hits that magic one note more than once..

Breakdown – Dave is at his best… fckn genius

Outta Space

Love it - VH1… straight out of the gate.. straight in your face, Ed’s tight, Wolf and AL are attached at the hip…

Dave is THAT good - you want to try to listen to the music, but Dave just grabs you with the coolest lyrics..

Solo has a Phase 90 VH1 vibe at about 180bpm! Those new EVH III’s sound just fine thankyouverymuch !!!

Stay Frosty

Again you’ve heard it… blues is back.. missus is already singing this one.. “foot’s tappin”.

Dave has 2 verses of an acoustic but hypnotizing swagger, then it kicks in... fun to play and shred along with…

Not my favourite actually, I thought it would be up there, but great fun VH tune… that says a lot about the other tracks… far out it’s ALL GOOD

Band is tight as.. good blues allows individuals to have “their turn”.. and every one gets one… and is it good or WHAT?

Big River

New kind vibe tho… quite fresh… again Wolfie and Al… I’ve not said a lot about Al.. he is everywhere and nowhere.. his snare in magnificent form and I hear sounds of FW/1984 drums in this.. magnificent work Al..

Ed’s solo, bit of wah action.. taps.. blues, then drops a killer riff and run and then ….fark they didn’t miss THAT getting back into the main riff…

Ed plays melody out the outro… that new EVH III sounds real different/ real new but then he manages to pull a kind of Plexi (I have an old one) sound out of it halfway through a run.. kind of blends the 2 amp sounds but not in a Soldano way.. not as compressed but it really sings… must have been a loud recording.. no wonder Ed’s smiling… nice guitar sound.

Beats Workin

Good finisher, Dave is the highlight… Wolf and Dave get an old school VH vibe from the 70’s bootlegs for this.

Al and Ed would have loved hanging out on this one… verses are all theirs.

First part of Solo… old school EVH pentatonic run, bend grab.. lots of room to move.. no meedly meedly – nice work Ed

Wah on the way out… superb

______
    Overall

What do I say, I may be a bit biased…but if it was below par I’d say so… Tattoo is unlike the rest and maybe needed to go first.. first on the album and first single IMO..

But I’d not be the first to say if this has not been the best day in the last 20 years…
    Last edited by sambo; 02-02-2012, 10:13 AM.
    Go home the Earth is full....
  • DavidLeeNatra
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Official "A Different Kind of Truth" Album Review Thread

Amazon delivered...stereo returns the favor BIG TIME and this is christmas, my birthday, happy easter at the same time over here!!!

VAN HALEN, BITCHES!!! live in front of my naked steaming ears is

A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH!
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

I won't bother you with a review...I can't think!!! Im fucking dancing!!! I'm totally out of words...Dave all over...Ed is back you haven't heard him like this for a quarter century!!! China Town...Bullethead...it's all there...bitches...you want a seven pack? this album is KILLER!!! diver down? 1984? sorry...it takes fair warning to keep up with that album!!!
      Roth Army Icon

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Damn dude, you fucking suck !!

Comment

• Panamark
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Good Onya Mate,

We are meant to be able to get it now, but its still saying
          pre-order. But who cares at this point, I'll grab some
          shut eye and it will be there waiting.

Tonight has been fun watchin the Jay and Bantonelli show anyway.

Im really happy for you !! Hope they dont move you off into some
          other dead end thread so we can all jump on this one with you when
          we get it.....

Cheers

-Mark
          BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
            Damn dude, you fucking suck !!

I know....since now I'm at #8 Honeybabysweetdoll...the first seven songs are ALL great (and yeas Tattoo is the weakes link so far)
            Roth Army Icon

Comment

• jero
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

WTF! Gaymany is first! It's a fucking Dutch band

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

lack of creativity my ass...they take twists and turns on this album you haven't heard for a loooooooooooooooong time...and man, Ed sounds massive!!! angry, screaming, ripping...this is so fucking good!!!
                Roth Army Icon

Comment

• jero
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Let this be your only win this year!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Nat, you lucky SOB.
                    =V V=
                    ole No.1 The finest
                    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• sambo
                      Sniper
                      • Jun 2004

Yep... got it too... awesome. All is right with the world again...
                      Go home the Earth is full....

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                        lack of creativity my ass...they take twists and turns on this album you haven't heard for a loooooooooooooooong time...and man, Ed sounds massive!!! angry, screaming, ripping...this is so fucking good!!!
                        Awesome!!

And I was just reading some jerkoff negative comments about Tattoo and how releasing it on vinyl was just a cash grab...

Fuck 'em!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                          Awesome!!

And I was just reading some jerkoff negative comments about Tattoo and how releasing it on vinyl was just a cash grab...

Fuck 'em!

No kidding!

=V V=
                          ole No.1 The finest
                          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Panamark
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

DLN, is the heavy bit in Stay Frosty as mind blowing as the sample hinted at ??
                            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sambo
                              Yep... got it too... awesome. All is right with the world again...
                              Where ???
                              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...