Thread: Angelo Dundee, Trainer of Ali and Leonard, Dies at 90

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Angelo Dundee, Trainer of Ali and Leonard, Dies at 90

gbranton made reference to this yesterday, but the news seems to have been missed or passed over. In fact, the New York Times only began mentioning it roughly an hour ago.

This is sad news, as I had the opportunity to spend some time with Mr. Dundee in the early nineties. At the time, I did not realize I was conversing with a world famous trainer, and it was only when a mutual acquaintance introduced us about an hour later that I discovered the man's identity. At that time, we shook hands, and I uttered something utterly inane like "Sir, it is an honor to meet you." Mr. Dundee replied "No Craig, the honor is mine." Needless to save, I was floored and came away more in awe of the man than ever. He was a kind, friendly and altogether classy gentleman. I know the word "class" gets handed out quite frequently (and mostly inappropriately), yet Mr. Dundee personified it.

RIP, sir.

Angelo Dundee, Trainer of Ali and Leonard, Dies at 90

By RICHARD GOLDSTEIN NYTIMES

In more than 60 years in professional boxing, Angelo Dundee gained acclaim as a brilliant cornerman. More Photos »

His death was announced by his son-in-law, James Coughlin, who said Dundee had recently been treated for blood clots.

In more than 60 years in professional boxing, Dundee gained acclaim as a brilliant cornerman, whether healing cuts, inspiring his fighters to battle on when they seemed to be reeling, or adjusting strategy between rounds to counter an opponent’s style.

“In that one minute, Angelo is Godzilla and Superman rolled into one,” Dr. Ferdie Pacheco, who often worked with Dundee and then became a TV boxing analyst, once remarked.

Ali told The New York Times in 1981: “You come back to the corner and he’ll say, ‘The guy’s open for a hook,’ or this or that. ” If he tells you something during a fight, you can believe it. As a cornerman, Angelo is the best in the world.”

When Thomas Hearns was rallying against Leonard in their welterweight championship unification fight in September 1981, Dundee got Leonard going again after the 12th round bell, telling him, “You’re blowing it, son, you’re blowing it.” Leonard knocked Hearns down in the 13th round and won the bout when the referee stopped it in the 14th.

Dundee “knew precisely how to get through to me at the most pivotal moments, and no moment in the fight, or in my career, was as pivotal as this,” Leonard recalled in his memoir “The Big Fight” (2011),” written with Michael Arkush.

Dundee’s first champion was Carmen Basilio, the welterweight and middleweight titleholder of the 1950s from upstate New York. Although best remembered for Ali and Leonard, Dundee also trained the light-heavyweight champion Willie Pastrano, the heavyweight titleholder Jimmy Ellis and the welterweight champion Luis Rodriguez. Dundee advised George Foreman when he regained the heavyweight title at age 45. He was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1992.

He was born Angelo Mirena in Philadelphia, the son of a railroad worker. He became Angelo Dundee after his brother, Joe, fought professionally under the name Johnny Dundee, in tribute to a former featherweight champion; another brother, Chris, also adopted the Dundee name.

After working as a cornerman at military boxing tournaments in England while in the Army Air Forces during World War II, Dundee served an apprenticeship at Stillman’s Gym near the old Madison Square Garden, learning his craft from veteran trainers like Ray Arcel, Charley Goldman and Chickie Ferrara. In the early 1950s he teamed with his brother Chris to open the Fifth Street gym in Miami Beach. It became their longtime base, Angelo as a trainer and Chris as a promoter.

In the late 1950s, Dundee gave some tips to a promising amateur named Cassius Clay, and in December 1960, after Clay’s first pro bout, Dundee became his trainer, working with him in Miami Beach. He guided him to the heavyweight title with a knockout of Sonny Liston in February 1964.

Dundee avoided the temptation to tamper with the brilliance of his young and charismatic fighter, and he used a bit of psychology in honing his talents.

“I never touched that natural stuff with him,” Dundee recalled in his memoir, “My View From the Corner” (2008), written with Bert Randolph Sugar. He added: “So every now and then I’d subtly suggest some move or other to him, couching it as if it were something he was already doing. I’d say something like: ‘You’re getting that jab down real good. You’re bending your knees now and you’re putting a lot of snap into it.’ Now, he had never thrown a jab, but it was a way of letting him think it was his idea, his innovation.”

When Cassius Clay became Muhammad Ali soon after winning the heavyweight title, his boxing management and financial affairs were handled by the Nation of Islam. Dundee was the only white man in his camp, and he grew disturbed over references to that fact.

In his memoir, Dundee said that he and Ali “had this special thing, a unique blend, a chemistry.”

“I never heard anything resembling a racist comment leave his mouth,” he said. “There was never a black-white divide.”

Dundee knew all the tricks in the boxing trade, and then some.

When Ali — or Clay, as he was still known at the time — sought to regain his senses after being knocked down by Henry Cooper in the fourth round of their June 1963 bout, Dundee stuck his finger in a small slit that had opened in one of Ali’s gloves, making the damage worse. Then he brought the badly damaged glove to the referee’s attention. Dundee was told that a substitute glove wasn’t available, and the few seconds of delay helped Clay recover. He knocked Cooper out in the fifth round.

In the hours before Ali fought Foreman in Zaire in 1974 — the Rumble in the Jungle — Dundee noticed that the ring ropes were sagging in the high humidity. He used a razor blade to cut and refit them so they were tight, enabling Ali to bounce off them when Foreman unleashed his “anywhere” punches from all angles. Ali wore Foreman out, hanging back with the “rope a dope” strategy Ali undertook on his own, and he went on to win the bout.

Dundee became Leonard’s manager and cornerman when he turned pro in 1977. He taught Leonard to snap his left jab rather than paw with it and guided him to the welterweight championship with a knockout of Wilfred Benitez in 1979.

Roberto Duran captured Leonard’s title on a decision in June 1980, but Leonard won the rematch in November when Dundee persuaded him to avoid a slugfest and instead keep Duran turning while slipping his jabs. A thoroughly beaten Duran quit in the eighth round, uttering his inglorious “no mas.”

In talking about his boxing savvy, Dundee liked to say, “When I see things through my eyes, I see things.”

“When Dundee speaks, traditional English usage is, to say the least, stretched and malapropisms abound,” Ronald K. Fried wrote in “Cornermen: Great Boxing Trainers.”

“Yet the language is utterly original and Dundee’s own — and it conveys exactly what Dundee knows in his heart.”

After retiring from full-time training, Dundee had stints in boxing broadcasting. He taught boxing technique to Russell Crowe for his role as the 1930s heavyweight champion Jimmy Braddock in the 2005 movie “Cinderella Man.”

He flew to Louisville last month for a celebration of Ali’s 70th birthday.

Dundee had been living in Palm Harbor, Fla. His survivors include his daughter, Terri Dundee Coughlin; his son, Jimmy; six grandchildren and one great-grandchild. His wife, Helen, died in 2010.

Dundee once remarked: “I’m not star quality. The fighter is the star.”

But he took pride in his craft. As he put it: “You’ve got to combine certain qualities belonging to a doctor, an engineer, a psychologist and sometimes an actor, in addition to knowing your specific art well. There are more sides to being a trainer than those found on a Rubik’s Cube.”

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I had the opportunity to spend some time with Mr. Dundee in the early nineties. At the time, I did not realize I was conversing with a world famous trainer, and it was only when a mutual acquaintance introduced us about an hour later that I discovered the man's identity. At that time, we shook hands, and I uttered something utterly inane like "Sir, it is an honor to meet you." Mr. Dundee replied "No Craig, the honor is mine." Needless to save, I was floored and came away more in awe of the man than ever. He was a kind, friendly and altogether classy gentleman. I know the word "class" gets handed out quite frequently (and mostly inappropriately), yet Mr. Dundee personified it.

RIP, sir.
    Cool story. I became a boxing fan when I was a kid because my dad loved it and it gave us something to talk about. We watched all of the legendary fights mentioned in the article and I was quite a fan of his work. I read his book and while I'm not usually big on sports books, I highly recommend this one, the man was there when history was made and nobody had a better view of the action. I always wanted to meet him even if just for a second and maybe get him to sign my book. I sort of figured he was one of those guys who wouldn't mind too much, like Floyd Patterson whom I watched sign autographs and take pictures one night at a fight until some of his folks literally dragged him away.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My favorite Dundee moment wasn't of Ali, I was a HUGE Sugar Ray Leonard fan....

When he beat Hagler, I always remember Dundee telling Sugar "Six minutes, champion !!"

About the 3:55 mark....

Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 02-02-2012 at 08:27 PM.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...I was a HUGE Leonard fan as well...up to that fight...

I was rooting for Leonard in that fight...is the funny thing...but AFTER THAT FIGHT...not a Leonard fan at all...

But before the Haglar fight...fucking Leonard was brilliant...loved watching him in the ring...

It's funny...I remember Leonard being OLD in that fight against Hagler...

Fuck...what was he...30?...32?
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    Yeah...I was a HUGE Leonard fan as well...up to that fight...

I was rooting for Leonard in that fight...is the funny thing...but AFTER THAT FIGHT...not a Leonard fan at all...

But before the Haglar fight...fucking Leonard was brilliant...loved watching him in the ring...

It's funny...I remember Leonard being OLD in that fight against Hagler...

Fuck...what was he...30?...32?
    Leonard was old ?? He was 30....

It was Hagler who looked old, the announcers must've said how slow he was 10 times that fight....

Leonard beat him clearly....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post

It was Hagler who looked old, the announcers must've said how slow he was 10 times that fight....

Oh, here we go...

If beating a guy is running around like a wafting pussy...then slapping an old guy in the head ten times right before the bell is winning...

They both fucking lost that fight...I watched it a couple of months ago...again...and christ...it was HORRIBLE to watch...absolutely horrible...

Leonard fought smart...but was a fucking pussy...

and Hagler didn't look old...or slow...he looked pissed and frustrated...not because he was getting hit, but because that son-of-a-bitch never stopped moving, and threw punches that didn't hurt Hagler, but serviced to piss him off...

Leonard essentially poked the Lion for the entire fight...and somehow managed to dodge him the entire time...

Had Hagler actually though he COULD lose, I think it would have been a different fight...

But the last time I watched it...I fucking would have called it a draw...Hagler barely caused any damage, but had bigger punches, and leonard landed more punches, but all of them combined may have equated to one Tyson jab....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Dude...it was in what...85...86?

30 WAS old to me...christ...I was 15-years old...

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    RIP ANGELO

Always a HEARNS fan so I HATED Leonard............

HAGLER IS A BAD man......the sport missed him when he split to Europe.............

Still Angelo was a genius.....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    Oh, here we go...

If beating a guy is running around like a wafting pussy...then slapping an old guy in the head ten times right before the bell is winning...

They both fucking lost that fight...I watched it a couple of months ago...again...and christ...it was HORRIBLE to watch...absolutely horrible...

Leonard fought smart...but was a fucking pussy...

and Hagler didn't look old...or slow...he looked pissed and frustrated...not because he was getting hit, but because that son-of-a-bitch never stopped moving, and threw punches that didn't hurt Hagler, but serviced to piss him off...

Leonard essentially poked the Lion for the entire fight...and somehow managed to dodge him the entire time...

Had Hagler actually though he COULD lose, I think it would have been a different fight...

But the last time I watched it...I fucking would have called it a draw...Hagler barely caused any damage, but had bigger punches, and leonard landed more punches, but all of them combined may have equated to one Tyson jab....
    LMFAO !!

What the fuck did you expect Leonard to do, stand there and go toe to toe with him?? You really think THAT should have been Leonard's strategy??

Of course he moved around, and when he wasn't moving, he was scoring points which won him that fight, fair and square.....

You're right, Hagler (I typed Hagar at first, LOL) fought terribly....

And it was '87.....

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What the fuck did you expect Leonard to do, stand there and go toe to toe with him?? You really think THAT should have been Leonard's strategy??
    That would have lasted for about 0:30 before Hagler stepped over him to go to the neutral corner.

All the people who swing from Floyd Mayweather's nuts should love that fight.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't get me wrong, Hagler was one tough, tough motherfucking fighter.... Easily in the top 5 toughest of all time.....

But he got out-smarted in that ring that night, and he lost fair and square....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Reading this I was trying to remember where my gut feeling of Hagler being a scary guy came from. I remember as a kid watching him knock the fuck out of Alan Minter to win the title, this is 32 years ago now apparently.

Anyhoo looking at YouTube just now I get how as a young kid watching this with my Dad I was a bit freaked out by this. Move it to 7 minutes and Minter is covered in blood gets hit with a right which obviously hurt like fuck and after the fight gets stopped the thing I didn't remember at all is the virtual riot.

Worth having a look at this before going on about the youth of today and how much gentler things were back in the golden age of Reagan and Thatcher...

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/CfcxEHcP-Zw?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/CfcxEHcP-Zw?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 02-03-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I remember it totally kicking off after the minter fight , it was shocking scenes not sure I had ever seen that at boxing it was more like a football crowd
    fuck your fucking framing

Thread Information